Soulslike?

Just interested to hear people’s opinions.  I’ve seen quite a lot of chatter online about whether this is a Soukslike game or a break from the usual Team Ninja stuff.  Would like to know what people think?

I’m not really a fan of the Souls stuff.  Nothing against those games - I just don’t think it’s for me.  If the game is more akin to Assassin’s Creed or Ghost of Tsushima, then it’ll be right up my street.  I’ve preordered the game for the bonuses, but will probably return it if is considered very Souls influenced.

Thanks guys!

The swordplay is a hybrid between Ninja Gaiden and Nioh. It's a Team Ninja game after all. But I don't think the game is as much as loot oriented compared to Nioh, it will came naturally as you progress. It is not as hard as them either, decently and fairly challenging. 

• Like 4

On 3/21/2024 at 2:06 PM, SadisticSymphony said:

The only Soulslike feature is the Ki bar, that acts like a stamina or stagger gauge. Other than that, feels more like Ghost of Tsushima

Losing your xp when you die, until you either regain it or die again and permanently lose it, is another souls feature. 

After 3 - 4 hours of playing I'd actually say it's a little closer to the Jedi games, only more difficult on the "normal(dawn)" and "hard(twilight)" difficulties.  Dawn is super easy though.  On Dusk I couldn't get past the village after the boat in the first mission.  Kept dying to the same enemy and couldn't figure out the timings to avoid damage.  Dawn I've only died once, and it was to an enemy it advised me to probably not fight yet.  Went back and killed him anyways.

Edited by Snake2410
  • Like 1

Something different. While there are similarities to Nioh, it is its own thing. Looks like TN are going for more realism than Nioh, with the yokai absent. So far it doesn't seem to have a bonkers amount of loot. As with Elden Ring, you click LS to crouch and hold circle to sprint.

Difficulty settings are a plus. I started on the Dusk (2 of 3) setting. If you die a few times, it will say something about lowering the difficulty... you have a "lower difficulty and retry" option, along with just retry.

The parry system is called counterspark. Successfully parrying with CS makes an ememy become panicked... even more so if you get a CS chain going.

RotR's first boss is NOT nearly as hard as Zhang Liang (Wo Long) or Pieta (Lords of the Fallen). You don't have to CS him a lot to win the fight, but it'll help. Some red barrels can be flung at him with the grappling hook. It's possible to heal your CPU controlled partner using one dose of medicine.

Spoiler

Commodore Matthew Perry is the first boss you encounter.

If Ghost of Tsushima is like this, there's another one I need to check out sometime.

• Like 1

On 3/22/2024 at 11:34 PM, RadiantFlamberge said:

Something different. While there are similarities to Nioh, it is its own thing. Looks like TN are going for more realism than Nioh, with the yokai absent. So far it doesn't seem to have a bonkers amount of loot. As with Elden Ring, you click LS to crouch and hold circle to sprint.

Difficulty settings are a plus. I started on the Dusk (2 of 3) setting. If you die a few times, it will say something about lowering the difficulty... you have a "lower difficulty and retry" option, along with just retry.

The parry system is called counterspark. Successfully parrying with CS makes an ememy become panicked... even more so if you get a CS chain going.

RotR's first boss is NOT nearly as hard as Zhang Liang (Wo Long) or Pieta (Lords of the Fallen). You don't have to CS him a lot to win the fight, but it'll help. Some red barrels can be flung at him with the grappling hook. It's possible to heal your CPU controlled partner using one dose of medicine.

Reveal hidden contents

Commodore Matthew Perry is the first boss you encounter.

If Ghost of Tsushima is like this, there's another one I need to check out sometime.

Ghost of Tsushima has a similar open world, but is a straight up action/stealth game with no soulsborne mechanics what so ever.  The only thing similar are the stances being better against certain enemies and worse against others.  The parry/block is much more lenient and the open world graphics are prettier imop.

Edited by Snake2410
  • Like 1

On 3/21/2024 at 7:03 PM, Citizenofpanem1 said:

I have read the other topics, but there’s seem to be quite a mixed consensus.  Not really sure what your post is bringing to the table tbh?

Ignore them, just another weird little troll on this site.

• Like 1