Sea of Boredom

On 4/30/2024 at 3:19 PM, LordBeavington said:

Honestly I am upset with myself for not understanding it’s not meant for solo. I knew that it was gonna be a fun time in multiplayer BUT I thought it would be fun solo too… 

This game has a history of griefing that was apparent since its release 6 years ago. Next time you just gotta google "is it fun solo" before assuming it is would be fun for you. This game has a very niche audience and if you want to get really good at the game, learn how to solo sloop well. I've went up against 3 large ships and was a pest to them in a FFA multiple times. If you don't have the patience or desire to get good then there is no point of playing this game as it will give you a headache and enrage you.

Im Enjoying it alot and im doing it solo sailing the seas exploring different islands different quest the Gameplay and the ocean is amazing sorry your having a bad time though

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/2/2024 at 6:32 PM, Ghulthar said:

Not every game is for everyone, but stating a game is boring when the op clearly hasn't touched a fraction of the content doesn't seem like useful information. Also, the op stated "this game is boring", not "I find the game boring". Pointing out they are not in a position to speak for everyone is not the same as telling them they are doing it wrong. I actually agree with shelving a game that doesn't grab you within a few hours, but probably just move on to something you enjoy rather than going online to complain. 

Ok? But why are you explaining this to me? My comment was obviously not directed at op.

Edited by Paleblood

Sorry some of ya'll are not enjoying the game. I have been playing since Beta on Xbox, have since moved onto PC since I got a new PC. The game is what you make of it IMO. There is much to do with a ton of history behind it as well. Different types of Megs to encounter, various fish to catch, and several emissaries to level up, two of which unlock secret areas at a given point. That being said it isn't for everyone. I roll solo all the time on my Sloop, especially when taking on the Tall Tales. Been working through commendations since launch. I also run a Guild and sail my pledged ships to level up the Guild itself, as well as gather new members. That being said, it's a go to game for me personally. 

I kinda agree with the sea of boredom even if i'm still quite new.

For me the main issue is that i expected to find other players from time to time and maybe play together or join their crew.

But in like 15h the only few multiplayer encounters i had were just pvp try hard that jumped on me, in a match up where i cant do anything. 

The rest of the game is empty as hell.

I'm glad i'm part of a guild or i joined discord to find players but people sold this game on the fact that it was some sort of a social experience. Pretty disappointing so far.

I don't even know how i'll get the random encounter trophy like sharing a tankard, playing the same music as a group of 5... etc.

16 hours ago, Shorah- said:

I kinda agree with the sea of boredom even if i'm still quite new.

For me the main issue is that i expected to find other players from time to time and maybe play together or join their crew.

But in like 15h the only few multiplayer encounters i had were just pvp try hard that jumped on me, in a match up where i cant do anything. 

I'm glad i'm part of a guild or i joined discord to find players but people sold this game on the fact that it was some sort of a social experience. Pretty disappointing so far.

I don't even know how i'll get the random encounter trophy like sharing a tankard, playing the same music as a group of 5... etc.

It’s Sea of Thieves

Not Sea of Friends

Edited by VereorChris
  • Haha 1

On 5/13/2024 at 12:44 AM, Shorah- said:

I think, right now, it's max 16 players and 6 ships per server.

But it there were more, you would just be fighting constantly.

Sinking someone and taking their loot will always be faster than doing voyages for the loot.

10 hours ago, Sicho said:

But it there were more, you would just be fighting constantly.

Thats my issue. With discord and everything, the majority of old players are just "LFG pvp reaper".

I'm 30 hours in, i have yet to meet a single friendly pirate. 

If i ever meet a friendly ship, i cant even get close to them because of how afraid of pvp they are.

I feel like how pvp is capable of ruining everyone in game progression, it does kill all the other good aspects of the game.

And i dont think safer seas is a good way to take care of that issue.

Last night, i was doing a tale, not having any loot on my ship, got ganked, told them i had nothing valuable, they still chase me for like 20 mins. 

On 4/30/2024 at 7:17 PM, Skurkitty said:

Been playing exclusively solo and am very much enjoying myself. Haven't had any major PvP encounters, but have been attacked by Skele ships which are stressful having to manage everything myself, but fun at the same time.

Different strokes for different folks. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Small Wall of Text update:

I just hit 80hrs (70hrs solo, 10hrs w/ friends) and I'd say my experience has been about 90% positive. I certainly take a lot of precautions when playing solo.

I've found setting cross play on w/ only controller players brings in the most newer player experience. When I play with my friends they allow keyboard and mouse and the experience is almost a night and day difference in how active PvP is.

Tales I only do in safer seas, they take too long and the rewards that matter most are the commendation cosmetics and related trophies. The gold reward is something to easily ignore for a better experience.

Also when I join a server I run to each faction table at the outpost and see which ships are flying emissary flags. If I see a boat token next to the Reaper table, I just leave and rejoin. Staying in a server where you know there's a ship that's hunting isn't for me.

I definitely enjoy PvP w/ friends a lot more than doing it alone, but going at it solo isn't a bad experience for me by any means, it's taught me a lot on managing all aspects of my ship.

All in all I'm still having a lot of fun, but I can definitely see how there's a group of people who wouldn't be.

Edited by Skurkitty
Typos