Brutal sucks, would've been better as a 'realism' mode

Just now, StewartBros said:

That's exactly why I never even bothered to attempt Brutal mode on Uncharted 1-3.  I didn't want to have my enjoyment of all 3 games spoiled by a bullshit, untested difficulty, so I just left it alone.

Uncharted 1's is fairly easy if you know how to glitch through, like, any wall in the game... and the tweak glitch, where you can use tweaks when you normally can't. I think the use of cheating is fair since the enemies cheat!

• Like 1

I remember dying a million times on that turret section because I would just get sniped from an enemy I couldn't see clearly right away. It's definitely a tacked on mode that I don't think was properly tested. I did it for the first game but I didn't really bother with it on the later games because doing it in the first one was more than enough for me and I know Uncharted 2 has a lot of sections where it would just be painful going through.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, HyXkeR said:

I feel you. It's not a skill issue at all. Brutal difficulty was poorly made. That's all. Congratulations for beating brutal difficulty! 

I LOVE CHEATING MY WAY THROUGH DUMBSHIT DIFFICULTIES!!

4 minutes ago, Redgrave said:

I remember dying a million times on that turret section because I would just get sniped from an enemy I couldn't see clearly right away. It's definitely a tacked on mode that I don't think was properly tested. I did it for the first game but I didn't really bother with it on the later games because doing it in the first one was more than enough for me and I know Uncharted 2 has a lot of sections where it would just be painful going through.

I'm assuming you're referring to the section where Elena drives through a bunch of enemies while Nate is on the back -- yeah, that's probably the worst section in the game (for me, considering I easily skipped through a lot of encounters) since a lot of times you'll die before you even have a chance to spot where you're being shot from or even before you can properly control Nate.

9 minutes ago, Joel_The_GamerR said:

I'm assuming you're referring to the section where Elena drives through a bunch of enemies while Nate is on the back -- yeah, that's probably the worst section in the game (for me, considering I easily skipped through a lot of encounters) since a lot of times you'll die before you even have a chance to spot where you're being shot from or even before you can properly control Nate.

Yeah, that part. Normally I'm fine with turret sections but yeah Brutal just made that part a slog. Same with the jet ski parts with the explosive barrels and the snipers. And yeah I remember doing the trick to skip that one encounter in that one area where there are pillars and water since I know a lot of people said that room one was one of the worst on Crushing.

• Like 1

I agree with you. It should be renamed bullsh*t difficulty. Despite being as bad as it is and making you retry more often than not, you can still manage to complete most sections of the game without retrying way too many times but the infamous jeep escape sequence it's pure garbage, you can easily die as soon as you gain control of Drake after the game reloads the checkpoint. At least we get to use the trick to kill enemies in one hit, otherwise the trophy would have been ten times harder.

• Like 1

I believe you're referring to chapter 5 and yeah that one is also pretty bad -- even doing the speedrun trick is difficult because occasionally you'll get spotted and shot down fairly quickly. Plus, it's pretty easy to softlock yourself and have to restart the checkpoint...

2 minutes ago, Deceptrox said:

I agree with you. It should be renamed bullsh*t difficulty. Despite being as bad as it is and making you retry more often than not, you can still manage to complete most sections of the game without retrying way too many times but the infamous jeep escape sequence it's pure garbage, you can easily die as soon as you gain control of Drake after the game reloads the checkpoint. At least we get to use the trick to kill enemies in one hit, otherwise the trophy would have been ten times harder.

I partly think the devs were self-aware enough to let that bug happen... how the hell does something as simple as that slip under the rug?

1 hour ago, HyXkeR said:

I feel you. It's not a skill issue at all. Brutal difficulty was poorly made. That's all. Congratulations for beating brutal difficulty! 

That's why I didn't feel bad about just using the exploit to use cheats. It's still not a fun experience even then. 

I wouldn't have minded a properly tested harder difficulty, but dying in 1-2 hits 99% of the time is goofy. And as mentioned the vehicle sections and the "run away" sections are just death traps that showed perfectly that Bluepoint hadn't tested it at all. Or maybe they thought because it was called "brutal" that it was fine? idk, but there's a difference in challenge and cheap bs. When a game is being cheap, I have no issue being cheap back. 

At this point I don't find Crushing that difficult as I've played through the games so many times. When I got to that one sewer area of the first game in the Remaster, a notorious spot, I was worried about it and got it first try. Uncharted is made so much easier when you already know what to expect and how to handle things. So a higher difficulty would've been nice. Unfortunately we got the dog doo that is brutal instead. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

I enjoyed my brutal playthroughs on the trilogy. Sure it's rage-inducing at times and the turret sections are broken, but it's also a very addictive experience. You keep trying a section using different spots and strategies, until you get both right + some necessary luck of course.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Elvick_ said:

That's why I didn't feel bad about just using the exploit to use cheats. It's still not a fun experience even then. 

I wouldn't have minded a properly tested harder difficulty, but dying in 1-2 hits 99% of the time is goofy. And as mentioned the vehicle sections and the "run away" sections are just death traps that showed perfectly that Bluepoint hadn't tested it at all. Or maybe they thought because it was called "brutal" that it was fine? idk, but there's a difference in challenge and cheap bs. When a game is being cheap, I have no issue being cheap back. 

At this point I don't find Crushing that difficult as I've played through the games so many times. When I got to that one sewer area of the first game in the Remaster, a notorious spot, I was worried about it and got it first try. Uncharted is made so much easier when you already know what to expect and how to handle things. So a higher difficulty would've been nice. Unfortunately we got the dog doo that is brutal instead. 

I don't think brutal would've been nearly as bad if the scales were tipped in both parties' favor. As I said, a realism mode would've been infinitely better.

I'm all in for challenging trophies, but I 100% agree. This difficulty is poorly thought.

I can still remember that one time some dude on the train section of Uncharted 2 kept killing me over and over again the second I spawned in (he's literally a couple feets away from your spawn point, looking at you). 

• Like 2

1. It was not really difficult, I would rate it 7.5-8.

2. It was absolutely fun to figure out how to play certain encounters. I had one of the most fun trophy hunting experiences with the brutal runs.

3. Where was ist unbalanced? The only annoying thing was the encounters which you had to Reset multiple times to not get shot immediately. But the rest was fine.

4. I love the people always crying if it becomes demanding. If you are too bad to beat that difficulty, then stop it but do not glitch because it is pathetic. 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

47 minutes ago, KenjiCBZ said:

The real bullshit is that difficult and how unbalanced it was.

Skill issues if you ask me :P
but seriously, I wonder if this is one of the reasons for Sony to completely get rid of difficulty trophies in their games and turn them into participation trophies.

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Mendarxis said:

2. It was absolutely fun to figure out how to play certain encounters. I had one of the most fun trophy hunting experiences with the brutal runs.

3. Where was ist unbalanced? The only annoying thing was the encounters which you had to Reset multiple times to not get shot immediately. But the rest was fine.

4. I love the people always crying if it becomes demanding. If you are too bad to beat that difficulty, then stop it but do not glitch because it is pathetic. 

Well, I actually liked the challenge but hated how poorly implemented it was.

It's not pathetic to use glitches, it saves a lot of time. Unless I could live hundreds of years I'll keep using this kind of things especially when the difficulty wasn't even tested properly. Uncharted 2 didn't have the glitch and I still managed to get the trophy due to strategy and being aggressive during battles among other things. In the end the glitch in U1 and U3 at least was a way to balance the difficulty or at the very least gave the players a tool that helped them have a better chance to beat the game on that difficulty.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Deceptrox said:

Well, I actually liked the challenge but hated how poorly implemented it was.

It's not pathetic to use glitches, it saves a lot of time. Unless I could live hundreds of years I'll keep using this kind of things especially when the difficulty wasn't even tested properly. Uncharted 2 didn't have the glitch and I still managed to get the trophy due to strategy and being aggressive during battles among other things. In the end the glitch in U1 and U3 at least was a way to balance the difficulty or at the very least gave the players a tool that helped them have a better chance to beat the game on that difficulty.

1. Why do you even hunt trophies? For the challenge and fun or for a virtual image of the trophy? I will never understand why people do that shit.

2. The argument with waste of time does not make much sense. Gaming is a waste of time in general, so if you really care of your lifetime, then quit gaming entirely so you can use your time productively.

• Confused 1

Why do you use a trophy hunting site if you don't care about them? 

Now to answer your question, I do it because I can and because I want to. At least I'm congruent with what I do or like. I don't use forums or do things I do not care for.

1 hour ago, Mendarxis said:

If you're gonna whine, do it in another thread, bub

42 minutes ago, meecegoatsalot said:

i struggled to beat crushing. had no desire to attempt brutal

thankful it was a dlc trophy and not required for plat

It's actually possible with the tweak glitch, surprisingly

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Joel_The_GamerR said:

It's actually possible with the tweak glitch, surprisingly

Good to know but I'm satisfied with what I managed. If I end up coming back to this game again it will probably be because Sony released a ps5 stack rather than for the brutal mode trophy.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, veinte-justo said:

Skill issues if you ask me :P
but seriously, I wonder if this is one of the reasons for Sony to completely get rid of difficulty trophies in their games and turn them into participation trophies.

Nah, there is a line between "Very hard" and "Cheap" that shouldn't be crossed. Brutal takes that line and pretty much fucks it.

Everyone else in this thread said why, no need to repeat.

Edited by KenjiCBZ
How is that one word I used not allowed, and fucks is?
  • Like 3