A run saving trick with the vita version.

Wavergray

So as I was playing the game on my vita, I discovered that if you restart the game right before the death screen pops up the game won't save your death. When you restart the game and go to continue you'll be in the same level you where in before you died with the same room layout.

Note: I don't know if this trick will work on the PS4 version and if this trick was already known just ignore this post.

• Like 1

Just tested it and wow, beat womb with no damage and killed Isaac. You don't need to upload save online. All you need to do is quit after every room you beat, you mess up in a room just close game and load it back up. You'll start in the room before the one you messed up in. This trick might make the platinum slightly possible.

I'm not a 100% sure what you mean by "quit after every room you beat, you mess up in a room just close game and load it back up"      By close game do you mean a hard close, as in the ps button and closing the program?  Because I exited the room before moms heart, got beat up down to 1 heart and closed the game (hard close) and loaded it back up and it started me in the boss room with 1 heart (where I hard closed), not the room I exited last from.  (I also made a cloud save in the womb many rooms back) because my first tries of what you guys posted here didn't work, the op and your method.  The cloud is the only working solution that I see now. 

From what I've seen this doesn't work to exit after each room.  I tried a few different things.  Please elaborate a tad bit more as your words are a bit confusing. 

Could bosses negate this method of yours?  Regardless in a way I'm glad it's not that easy as you say. 

Edited by SilkyJay86

I'm not a 100% sure what you mean by "quit after every room you beat, you mess up in a room just close game and load it back up"      By close game do you mean a hard close, as in the ps button and closing the program?  Because I exited the room before moms heart, got beat up down to 1 heart and closed the game (hard close) and loaded it back up and it started me in the boss room with 1 heart (where I hard closed), not the room I exited last from.  (I also made a cloud save in the womb many rooms back) because my first tries of what you guys posted here didn't work, the op and your method.  The cloud is the only working solution that I see now. 

From what I've seen this doesn't work to exit after each room.  I tried a few different things.  Please elaborate a tad bit more as your words are a bit confusing. 

Could bosses negate this method of yours?  Regardless in a way I'm glad it's not that easy as you say. 

Are you playing on the PS4 version? I'm pretty sure this trick won't work on the PS4.

On the vita version, the game saves your heart, item, and floor progress at the start of every level. So if you press the PS button and swipe the game closed right before the "blank killed me, I leave my stuff to my cat" screen pop up the game won't save. Since it didn't save your death, when you restart the game and press continue you will start in the first room of the floor you died on.

For example: You make it to the womb with 2 heart and 6 items, if you swipe the game closed at any time before you die the game will restart you in the first room of the womb with your 2 heart and 6 items. Since the "seed" doesn't change when you restart, the room layout of the womb will be exactly the same as it was before you restarted.

Edited by soultaker655
  • Like 2

ohh I see.  I'm that guy assuming that everyone is playing on ps4 even though the title says vita.  Yep that explains it...  I am on the ps4.

I knew the op was talking vita, but somehow my brain figured the next posts were ps4 related.  And you're correct it doesn't work on ps4.  Thanks soul.  I would quote your post, but I can't.  : )

Edit: wait you are the original poster.  I'll try to pull my head out of my ass today at some point.

Edited by SilkyJay86

I agree prophet.  While I'm not a fan of backing up my saves for most games.  I love the later levels and bosses with this one.   And well after a 20 minute run I want to beat the game and see the endings.  I love the underlying tone to this "simpler" game.  I honestly don't think it would be as addicting to me if it didn't have this religious, odd theme.  So many misc. stuff and items this game has in it, it's fun to see what all it can do and what kind of build you can put together. 

I'm going to try my best to not always back my save up, but I can't make any promises at this moment.  99.9% agree with you though.

• Like 1

Every time you exit game it saves your progress. So for example if you're about to fight a boss , exit game, load it back up. If you die at boss then swipe the game closed and start back up, it outs you where you exited, in front of the boss door. This is how I did the no damage floors, I just quit after every room I best, then closed game if I took damage.

You still won't get platinum this way. You can cheese a lot of it, sure, but if you quit and continue with the super secret character, you die. Instantly. You need the unlocks for True Platinum God I believe, and if you've cheesed through everything else your level of skill won't even be close to what you need for it.

• Like 2

You still won't get platinum this way. You can cheese a lot of it, sure, but if you quit and continue with the super secret character, you die. Instantly. You need the unlocks for True Platinum God I believe, and if you've cheesed through everything else your level of skill won't even be close to what you need for it.

Seasonreaper is right, the amount of items you have to collect, secrets to unlock.. there's some secrets where you have to play on hardmode to get them. Your better off improving your own skills and not relying on cheap tricks to get the first few trophies. They even have a secret for dying 100 times. If you play through the game normally collecting everything, discovering methods and secrets for yourself your bound to get this Platinum faster.

You guys wear sealbelts in the mafia, Brett?   :highfive:    kidding.  : )

You're right about not cheesing it.. I'm getting better at not backing up my saves now...  Mom has become very easy for me, as she was very very tough to start.  I had a -51 strizeak for gods sake.  Can anyone tell me why I'm fighting Isaac on the regular, but I've not yet came across Satan?  It seems by the percentages that Satan is a tad more common. 

You guys wear sealbelts in the mafia, Brett?   :highfive:    kidding.  : )

You're right about not cheesing it.. I'm getting better at not backing up my saves now...  Mom has become very easy for me, as she was very very tough to start.  I had a -51 strizeak for gods sake.  Can anyone tell me why I'm fighting Isaac on the regular, but I've not yet came across Satan?  It seems by the percentages that Satan is a tad more common. 

Satan is in Sheol, Isaac is in the Cathedral. Both options should be available once you beat Mom's Heart for the 11th time, but either can appear randomly before that. If you keep going up to the Cathedral via the beam of light you'll never see Satan, so go down.

So, I killed Satan with Cain but got the trophy for killing him with ???.

New player here, anyone know what's up?

Did you have the Ankh item and die, then respawn? That item respawns you as ??? and would explain it.

I know on the vanilla PC version that converting away all of your heart containers for soul hearts via Guppy's Paw or simply trading them all in devil deals caused the game to register that you had no heart containers and instead counted you as ???, but I don't know if that's fixed.

I got my Cain trophy when killing Satan with Cain so I don't know if there's any other reason for it.

Did you have the Ankh item and die, then respawn? That item respawns you as ??? and would explain it.

I know on the vanilla PC version that converting away all of your heart containers for soul hearts via Guppy's Paw or simply trading them all in devil deals caused the game to register that you had no heart containers and instead counted you as ???, but I don't know if that's fixed.

I got my Cain trophy when killing Satan with Cain so I don't know if there's any other reason for it.

Ah, it was the Ankh. In that case, I'm fairly happy things played out the way they did. I skimmed the list and assumed ??? was an unlockable character of some sort; the unlock conditions for that trophy seem pretty situational.

Ah, it was the Ankh. In that case, I'm fairly happy things played out the way they did. I skimmed the list and assumed ??? was an unlockable character of some sort; the unlock conditions for that trophy seem pretty situational.

??? is an unlockable character, actually. You unlock him after 10 Mom's Heart kills.

The Ankh just respawns you as him. In a similar manner, if you complete boss rush with Judas you'll unlock an item called Judas' Shadow, which when picked up causes you to respawn as Judas if you die. I suspect that works in a similar way in regards to trophies.

I'm not sure what causes it and it doesn't happen consistently but you can lose items this way. 
For example,

>Start a run with Judas

>Die

>Quick restart the game

>Reload game

>Magically don't have the Book of Belial anymore

First noticed it using Eve and Whore of Babylon didn't activate.
So just be aware when using this method.