Far Cry 4 Users Accidentally Reveal they Pirated the Game

kidhero99

What makes it worse is the fact that some people justify doing this because the game is broken!!!  WTF!!!  You just can’t justify theft of proprietary property because some aspects of it didn’t work. You can’t steal a car then tell the judge that your actions were justified because they had a recall on the radio.

Edited by milanbarca82

All I ever hear from pc only players is.... "We get such great deals on steam, and on games in general." and then they go on to pirate games. Oh you want to play the game before you buy it, so? Maybe I want to play the game before I buy it as well, but guess what... there aren't many demo's for games even on consoles, there are a few... but it has become less common to release a demo for their games... You're in the same boat everyone else is. You are broke as fuck? So am I, and I buy games often at a higher price than a steam sale. Justify it however you like, gloss over and sugar coat it... you're stealing something that took millions of dollars, and years of developers lives to make.... Game devs aren't like musicians... they don't put on shows and rake in ticket sales on top of their album sales. They aren't like actors who get paid millions of dollars, or corporations who make millions at the box office. They get paid by a company who in turn earns money via game sales. They work their asses off, jump through hoops. and overall deal with ungrateful, self centered, and needy fans who are just itching to turn on their once favorite company. 

Now I'm not saying all devs are great, all games are great... because they aren't. I'm also not saying all pc gamers are pirates because they aren't either.... but I'm willing to bet there's quite a few who play mostly or exclusively on pc that do nothing but pirate games. That shit ain't cool no matter how you justify it. There's my little rant for the day.

• Like 4

All I ever hear from pc only players is.... "We get such great deals on steam, and on games in general." and then they go on to pirate games. Oh you want to play the game before you buy it, so? Maybe I want to play the game before I buy it as well, but guess what... there aren't many demo's for games even on consoles, there are a few... but it has become less common to release a demo for their games... You're in the same boat everyone else is. You are broke as fuck? So am I, and I buy games often at a higher price than a steam sale. Justify it however you like, gloss over and sugar coat it... you're stealing something that took millions of dollars, and years of developers lives to make.... Game devs aren't like musicians... they don't put on shows and rake in ticket sales on top of their album sales. They aren't like actors who get paid millions of dollars, or corporations who make millions at the box office. They get paid by a company who in turn earns money via game sales. They work their asses off, jump through hoops. and overall deal with ungrateful, self centered, and needy fans who are just itching to turn on their once favorite company. 

Now I'm not saying all devs are great, all games are great... because they aren't. I'm also not saying all pc gamers are pirates because they aren't either.... but I'm willing to bet there's quite a few who play mostly or exclusively on pc that do nothing but pirate games. That shit ain't cool no matter how you justify it. There's my little rant for the day.

I'm not going to sit here and defend PC gamers... but this post is chock full of bias and misinformation.

"All I ever hear from pc only players is.... "We get such great deals on steam, and on games in general." and then they go on to pirate games."

Steam does have great deals, and I doubt you'd ever hear of high piracy rates on Valve games.  At least comparatively to the number of sales they get.  However, EA and Ubisoft have a history of not playing nicely with their users (especially on PC), treating their employees poorly, etc, etc.  Origin has been getting better, but you generally don't see those crazy sales that you do on Steam and from Steam key retailers.  Not that this is an excuse to pirate a game, but you seem to be making crass generalizations about a group of gamers you don't seem to really know all that well.

"Oh you want to play the game before you buy it, so? Maybe I want to play the game before I buy it as well, but guess what... there aren't many demo's for games even on consoles, there are a few... but it has become less common to release a demo for their games... You're in the same boat everyone else is."

The issue here isn't necessarily that they "want to play a game before they buy it"... it's oftentimes to inspect performance before spending $60 on a game (which is actually nonrefundable on Steam).  Unlike consoles, without a demo (and sometimes even with, if it's an earlier build) there's no way to tell if your PC will actually be able to run a game at a playable framerate.  On console, at least you're 99% guaranteed to get a game that will start up.  On PC, the stars almost have to align for a developer to actually properly QA their releases for your hardware specs these days.  A lot of games are rushed out the door, a lot of developers don't give their PC releases the attention they need.  System requirements are often unreliable and/or misleading... sometimes intentionally to boost sales.  And you might say, "If it doesn't run well, just lower the settings!"... well, a really shoddily built game can actually run just as bad (or worse somehow) at lower settings.  It's bizarre.

I'd say more often than not, someone who says "I'm just trying the game on my PC before I buy" are full of shit... but there is valid concern there.

"but I'm willing to bet there's quite a few who play mostly or exclusively on pc that do nothing but pirate games."

You're kidding yourself if you don't think those same people exist on console.  Especially as they continue to transition to digital releases, even the security of requiring a disc isn't there anymore.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 1

I'm not going to sit here and defend PC gamers... but this post is chock full of bias and misinformation.

"Oh you want to play the game before you buy it, so? Maybe I want to play the game before I buy it as well, but guess what... there aren't many demo's for games even on consoles, there are a few... but it has become less common to release a demo for their games... You're in the same boat everyone else is."

The issue here isn't necessarily that they "want to play a game before they buy it"... it's oftentimes to inspect performance before spending $60 on a game (which is actually nonrefundable on Steam).  Unlike consoles, without a demo (and sometimes even with, if it's an earlier build) there's no way to tell if your PC will actually be able to run a game at a playable framerate.  On console, at least you're 99% guaranteed to get a game that will start up.  On PC, the stars almost have to align for a developer to actually properly QA their releases for your hardware specs these days.  A lot of games are rushed out the door, a lot of developers don't give their PC releases the attention they need.  System requirements are often unreliable and/or misleading... sometimes intentionally to boost sales.  And you might say, "If it doesn't run well, just lower the settings!"... well, a really shoddily built game can actually run just as bad (or worse somehow) at lower settings.  It's bizarre.

I'd say more often than not, someone who says "I'm just trying the game on my PC before I buy" are full of shit... but there is valid concern there.

"but I'm willing to bet there's quite a few who play mostly or exclusively on pc that do nothing but pirate games."

You're kidding yourself if you don't think those same people exist on console.

So a game is shit, lets pirate it? I understand that optimization is often lacking when it comes to pc games, it's understandable. It happens. Even if a game is optimized to the fullest, it will be pirated. I think devs should get even more creative. Imagine how hilarious it would be if a pirated copy of the game ended up forcing the player to fall through the floor over and over again? Or unable to get past the first area of the game. Or, have the code written so when it's pirated instead of Far Cry 4, the pirate ends up getting the first half of Hannah Montana the game... you get the drift

"You're kidding yourself if you don't think those same people exist on a console".

I have no doubt they do, but they aren't as large a problem on console as they are on pc... and we aren't talking about consoles. 

Edited by KratosTheMighty

So a game is shit, lets pirate it? I understand that optimization is often lacking when it comes to pc games, it's understandable. It happens. Even if a game is optimized to the fullest, it will be pirated.

The problem is, PC gamers have absolutely no idea how well a game will run with their specific hardware setup until they've already paid for it.  An issue console users don't really have to deal with.  One person with a $3000 PC could have trouble just getting the game to start, while someone else with a $700 PC is running it smooth as butter on respectable settings.  Two people with the exact same specs could have different results because they have a different operating system, or different internal settings.  There isn't always a rhyme or reason to it... even reading other users post-release horror stories aren't always reliable.

"Optimized to the fullest" is just a meaningless statement.

and we aren't talking about consoles. 

If you're going to harshly criticize "PC only" gamers for anything, you should at least make sure "console only" gamers aren't doing the exact same thing.  That's all.

Edited by Dreakon13

• 1 year later...

Hello all,

I'm new at console gaming so forgive me if my questions are stupid  :rolleyes:

There is a market for used games and I wonder if a used copy of Far Cry 4 keeps all online functionality for the second hand buyer or that some parts are exclusively for the original buyer.

Okay I'll admit it... I'm not completely new at console gaming so there is no excuse for any of my stupid questions  :D

Hello all,

There is a market for used games and I wonder if a used copy of Far Cry 4 keeps all online functionality for the second hand buyer or that some parts are exclusively for the original buyer.

Okay I'll admit it... I'm not completely new at console gaming so there is no excuse for any of my stupid questions  :D

Yes all online functionalities are kept, Online passes were scrapped few years back, only thing you don't get is any DLC codes they were packed with the game B)  

Thanks for that  :)

only thing you don't get is any DLC codes they were packed with the game B)  

If you mean physically packed with the game... Do you also mean that the codes can only be used one time or that the first buyer probably threw them away? Will I miss the DLC by the way or are we talking wallpaper here?  :D

Thanks for that  :)

If you mean physically packed with the game... Do you also mean that the codes can only be used one time or that the first buyer probably threw them away? Will I miss the DLC by the way or are we talking wallpaper here?  :D

Codes can only be used once and like me i chuck the piece of paper away also  :D

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Except you can't rent PC games.  Look, I'm not going to defend pirating a game -- nor am I going to defend people bitching about pirated copies -- but in this day and age there's virtually no way to try games out before you buy them if you play on PC, and given Ubisoft's distrastrous handling of Assassin's Creed: Unity, I'd definitely be on the fence about giving Ubisoft money for a PC game too.

I'm sure a few of these people are genuinely interested in buying Far Cry 4, but they wanted to make sure 1) it was optimized well and 2) wasn't buggy as all hell.

Where I buy my games I can test them first if I want to (if it's a used game - they even have brand new games used after one or two weeks after the release). :) I find it a great idea this way I don't have to think about "will i like it ... or not" xD