Gota's Blogs: 2014 - The Year that Gamers Wanted to Feel Vulnerable Again

Gotakibono

As always an awesome read, although tainted by a lack of photographic proof of the gaming world, only promises...

I think you hit the nail on the head when you said people want easy games and regenerating health these days. Silent hill was released in a time when even Fps had more human heros (albeit them taking 20 bullets and not getting a sweat as soon as they put a bandage on their arm)

However if they do want to succeed in releasing horror games again, the controls cant stay as clunky as they were in the day. I'm all for realism, and the geek who finds himself knee deep in blood without any idea what is happening is the best protagonist they could use, but not walking in an invisible box.

• Like 1

I'm not sure "Five Nights at Freddy's"and "top quality survival-horror games" should really be in the same thought.  At least not listed in the same vein as Alien: Isolation or Outlast.  It's a clever spin on the genre, sure... but it's a student project with about 15 minutes of actual gameplay.

That one notable aside, that was an interesting read!  Thanks for sharing. :)

What is this "The Fappening" you speak so fondly of?

Hacked iCloud photos.  Naked celebrities.  Lots of them, without their consent for public consumption.

Edited by Dreakon13

All three examples highlight vastly different attributes of humanity: Ingenuity, fragility, and our obsession with taking naked pictures of ourselves.

I'd like to keep that quote around, i feel like i might have need of it.

As far as the revival of the survival horror genre goes, i guess it's at least partially related to indie titles becoming more influential. You see, the heads of the industry like to decide things. At some point, Square Enix decided that nobody wanted to see turn-based battle systems in RPGs anymore. Then Bravely Default turned out to be successful and they were surprised it was, because they themselves had previously decided that it wouldn't. Now that indie horror games saw more and more attention, they probably saw the demand coming back even though it hadn't ever really left. I'm having problems finding the words to describe exactly what i mean, Jim Sterling described it rather well regarding the topic of Bravely Default and i find the argument can be carried over to this particular scenario rather well.

Good read as usual.

Edited by HappyKastanie

As always an awesome read, although tainted by a lack of photographic proof of the gaming world, only promises...

Here's all the proof you need: 

Hoaxed_photo_of_the_Loch_Ness_monster.jp

What is this "The Fappening" you speak so fondly of?

I have no idea what you're talking about. 

I'm not sure "Five Nights at Freddy's"and "top quality survival-horror games" should really be in the same thought.  At least not listed in the same vein as Alien: Isolation or Outlast.  It's a clever spin on the genre, sure... but it's a student project with about 15 minutes of actual gameplay.

That one notable aside, that was an interesting read!  Thanks for sharing. :)

I agree with you, but it certainly used tension and a sense of dread very effectively, even if it's only in 15 minute bursts. 

Once heralded darlings of the genre Silent Hill and Resident Evil either faded into obscurity, or turned their back on their roots and not so much jumped the shark, but punched the fucking boulder right out of the volcano.

Was that sentence intending to reference Resident Evil 5? Because if it did, you just made my day from that.

• Like 1