Gone Girl was one of the WORST films of 2014 - Here's why

boombatakr

THIS POST WILL CONTAIN HEAVY SPOILERS SO DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE FILM. THE POST WILL SPOIL THE ENDING OF THE FILM!

Now, with that out of the way, I have been wanting to talk about this all year! Gone Girl is on majority of peoples top ten list and is guaranteed to be nominated for Best Picture in Feb, so why do I call it one of the worst of the year? Because for me the ending ruined the entire film. Let me get this out of the way first. Why would Ben Affleck's character stay with Rosemund Pike's character after all that took place? She was going to frame him for her own murder, and went to GREAT lengths to cover her tracks. She is found not only alive but covered in blood after killing her ex boyfriend. He then goes back in the house with her?  He doesn't even greet her with  "you fucking bitch! Thanks for trying to ruin my life and my reputation!"

I expected him to steal a cops gun and blow her away for the shit she caused, wouldn't you? He then gets told she is pregnant and he stays with her!! Why?? Wouldn't you say "to hell with you! I'll see the kid on the weekends thanks. See ya Norman Bates!"  This ending makes the previous two hour plus story mean absolutely nothing!  The lawyers, the cops, the interviews, the finger pointing, and the investigation led up to them staying together in the end?? How the hell is this the best movie of the year,  and can someone please explain to me why you would let the ending get a pass  to accept this a good film over all? Did anyone else not feel that the ending ruined the movie?

Edited by boombatakr
  • Like 1

I think your problem is you're assuming Affleck's character would/should react the same way that you would react.  I think that part of him liked the drama.  They understood each other by the end of the film.  Would I have stayed with a psycho that was pregnant with my child?  Probably not.  However, if I was in Affleck's place I wouldn't have cheated on my wife in the first place.  The ending definitely made me cringe, but I didn't think it was completely out of character for the husband to stay with her.

I wouldn't say this was the best movie of the year (*cough* Guardians of the Galaxy *cough*), but I think putting it on a top 10 list for 2014 is a no brainer.  But that's the great thing about opinions, they really don't matter.  

• Like 2

Yea your wrong, the thing is at the end the whole public thinks that she is a good person. I mean she was kidnapped and came finally back and all was well, that's what the public thinks. So if he decides to leave her everyone hates him cause who would leave someone who had just gone through hell? He basically had no other choice then to stay with her, and that was her plan after all. She hated how they lived, how much they let each other slip to normal persons. So she created a ridiculous plan to frame Ben Affleck for her murder but had eventually no other choice to go back to him and create a happy ending. 

If you think it is ridiculous that Ben returned to her your partially right, but he know what she's capable of so he doesn't have a choice. He already was framed for her murder, why do it all over again? He knows that it's bad but he stops fighting her at the end. 

I think it was a commentary on how men are supposed to "do the right thing" even though it causes them to be miserable. Typically if a divorce happens due to the husband wanting out, he get's shamed (especially with kids involved) by family/friends or media if it's a famous person. So Ben's character was put in a situation where if he left, he would look like a huge asshole and get shamed because now she's pregnant and survived a kidnapping. I thought it was pretty poignant actually. I really liked the movie but it scared the shit out of me about getting married haha

I haven't seen the film, but I have seen the ending due to working at the cinema. My interpretation is that she's carrying his child. He feels the responsibility of having a child so can't leave.

"I'm leaving you"

"I won't have to teach your child to hate you, he'll do that all by himself"

Sister: "Can't you get custody?"

"They won't give it to me. I have to do this"

Those are quotes I heard a fair few times that I think explains it.

I agree with the OP. The movie was so good and suspenseful throughout but I hated the ending as well. JaneAustin brings up a good point that Affleck's character doesn't necessarily do what we want him to do. Even still, it seemed very very far-fetched that anyone would stay married to a known murderer if they weren't completely pyscho themselves.

To think that because Affleck knows what she's capable of that he should live in the same house with her is totally ridiculous. I'm pretty sure most people would like their chances better having more than just their bedroom door separating the two of them. I'm also pretty sure almost nobody would live with a murdered just to save their reputation either. The movie was just too over the top and didn't seem to think the ending through in my irrelevant opinion.

From what I read, in the book it was based off, the husband wasn't exactly a saint himself. Both characters were essentially jerks; she just made the first (major) move, leaving him to cover his ass. For some reason, they changed that to make him more sympathetic (I guess) in the movie.

Anyways, the primary reason he stays with her is not only for the child, but to spite her as well. Like SurvivorBlues said, she HAD to go back and create a happy ending, and he knows it. He supposedly even taunts her about it, and she does not respond well to it at all, because she knows she lost.

Edited by MrRubberSoul

I remember a cousin telling me she came back because she actually loves him and she's also crazy haha, well, considering that fact any explanation of the end means nothing cause a crazy person can do wherever she wants, Ben's character needs to stay with her due she's a victim for the whole world and she needs his support, it's not as easy as "nobody knows who/what you really are but I know so I leave you", his sister knows it, now, that does not mean that he'll never fins a way to get rid of her. It's just the immediate predicament he's living now she came back.