Looking into the Vita

NadeShady

Looking into the Vita I'm considering purchasing one for myself, it looks like a lot of Jap RPGs and a lot of indie titles, I'm a big fan on the Jap RPG's, but as in a small console in itself is it worth me picking it up now or getting it later when it's had it's time and I can get it for cheap and still enjoy the old titles it had.

All in all I just want to know if it's worth forking out the money for it

Edited by NadeShady

I say it is worth getting the Vita,I actually went into the PSVita with the intent of only playing the Hyperdimension Neptunia series, the same way I went into Nintendo DS for only Pokemon but I found many great PS Vita games like Persona 4 Golden, Danganronpa, Freedom Wars, Katamari, Disgaea 4: A Promise Revisited, and those are just the ones I played, there still many out there like Gravity Rush, LittleBigPlanet, Uncharted and Tearaway. I love my Vita more than all my other consoles except for my Atari 2600.

I say it is worth getting the Vita,I actually went into the PSVita with the intent of only playing the Hyperdimension Neptunia series, the same way I went into Nintendo DS for only Pokemon but I found many great PS Vita games like Persona 4 Golden, Danganronpa, Freedom Wars, Katamari, Disgaea 4: A Promise Revisited, and those are just the ones I played, there still many out there like Gravity Rush, LittleBigPlanet, Uncharted and Tearaway. I love my Vita more than all my other consoles except for my Atari 2600.

Yeah I'm pretty certain I will enjoy it, I'm just not 100% set on it for some reason and I don't know why, because a lot of the games I see when I go to the store on the Vita I'm always looking into and thinking I should grab one, like I'm a big fan of the good old RPGs but the Japanese ones usually are just a lot more not polished but there a lot more in-depth and they just seem to always be a better quality as well, what are some good games on there at the moment that you could recommend me to look at?

Vita is great when combined with PS+, if you have that, you're set. I bought all the games on Vita that interested me, and Plus gave me a whole bunch more that I'd have never touched and ended up loving (loving all the way to platinums) like Gravity Rush, Virtue's Last Reward, Guacamelee, and 3 Vita Lego games I would have never touched otherwise.

There's a lot of JRPG stuff on there though, as you know, but since it's not really my bag I don't have any recommendations.

However, the reason I chimed into this, is because I've had my Vita since launch and love it to death, BUT, I've also had the PS TV since it's launch here a few months back and it's being played a whole bunch more than my Vita. All in all, I'd actually say get a PS TV, but there's a fair few games that straight up will not work.

So it's not entirely accurate, since you were asking if you should get into the Vita scene rather than how to get into it. How though, I would say get a PS TV if a lot of the games you want/would like are compatible.

Get a Vita if you see it on sale, otherwise use your phone/get a kickass phone, get a controller for said phone, and play the hell out of all the emulators on the Android store. It's awesome, and can plug into a TV.

• Like 1

Yeah I'm pretty certain I will enjoy it, I'm just not 100% set on it for some reason and I don't know why, because a lot of the games I see when I go to the store on the Vita I'm always looking into and thinking I should grab one, like I'm a big fan of the good old RPGs but the Japanese ones usually are just a lot more not polished but there a lot more in-depth and they just seem to always be a better quality as well, what are some good games on there at the moment that you could recommend me to look at?

Well my number one recommendation is Persona 4 Golden but for JRPGs there is also Hyperdimension Neptunia Rebirth 1 & 2, Final Fantasy X / X-2 remastered (but buy the game new so you can get both games), Disgaea 4: A Promise Revisited, Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention, then there is the series I have been interested in called Atelier series. For a game that isn't JRPG there is Freedom Wars which basically Attack on Titan but you rescue people and with guns and Danganronpa 1 & 2 which is a who done it kind of game, just think of Phoenix Wright but with more mindfucks.

Edited by TheVader66
  • Like 1

The Vita is definitely a gold mine when it comes to JRPGs, so I'm sure you'll love it. Here's some of the games, Persona 4 Golden, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa Rebirth, Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth, Project Diva f, Project Diva f 2nd, Danganronpa, Danganronpa 2, Soul Sacrifice, Conception II, DJ Max Technika Tune, Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus, Mind 0, Demon Gaze, Gravity Rush, Sorcery Saga, Final Fantasy X/X-2, and Tales of Hearts R.

Then there's also tons of great PSP games you can get, like Black Rock Shooter, Persona 3 Portable, Persona 2 Innocent Sin, Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, God Eater, Ys Seven, Ys I & II Chronicles, Final Fantasy III, Final Fantasy IV The Complete Collection, Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions, Dissidia, and Dissidia 012.

Then of course there's the PS1 classics, like Final Fantasy Origins, Final Fantasy V, Final Fantasy VI, Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy VIII, Final Fantasy IX, Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, Xenogears, Persona 2 Eternal Punishment, Legend of Dragoon, Mega Man, Mega Man 2, Mega Man 3, Mega Man 4, Mega Man X4, Mega Man X5, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Wild Arms, Wild Arms 2, Wild Arms 3, Suikoden, Suikoden II, Legend of Mana, Parasite Eve, Resident Evil, Resident Evil 2, Resident Evil 3, and Vagrant Story.

It's also the only system you can play Final Fantasy I-X on. Anyway, there's quite a bit on there for the JRPG lover, and so much more.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the recommendations guys, I've come to the decision of buying it, I've had a look at some of the games and they all look pretty smick and all.

Another question though, PSP games I have some old ones will they work or do you buy them from the PSN store to download them and is it only certain ones?

One more, anyone recommend me a nice JRPG to pick up when I get it?  

The Vita does not have a UMD drive so for PSP games you are limited to only what is available digitally in your region.  If you've bought digital PSP games in the past you should be able to access those on Vita as well.  There is one potential issue in that not every PSP title can be downloaded directly through the Vita - some you might have to download onto your PS3/PS4, and then transfer to the Vita using the built in Content Manager.

There's been a ton of recommendations already but knowing nothing about your particular taste in games, I would recommend Persona 4 Golden, or as a second choice Tales of Hearts R, as those are two of the more "mainstream" JRPGs on the system and those particular versions are system exclusive.  There are a ton of others out there but you'll want to do a bit of research since many of them may or may not suit your tastes depending on exactly what it is you're looking for in your JRPG.

Yes is worth it  the ps vita has great titles Uncharted Golden Abyss,port of P4 from ps2.Rayman Origins and Legends teraway, little big planet and a lot more tittles and now for the holidays  is a 169 Dollars in amazon and gamestop with borderlands 2 great price for the console in my opinion 

Why does only Vita have these threads asking whether it's worth buying one or not? I haven't seen people asking the same about PS3 or PS4 but this comes up every week.

Because unlike the PS3 and PS4, the Vita gets virtually no advertisement or media coverage, and does not have the widespread appeal and brand recognition that the Nintendo DS/3DS does.  You're not going to find very many gamers that don't know what a PS3 or a PS4 is but there are definitely are a good number who don't even know what the Vita is, much less what you can do with it or what kind of games you can play on it.  When it comes to a device that none of your friends have and you know virtually nothing about, one of the first questions that comes to mind is likely going to be "is this thing worth buying?"

That being said, a stickied thread or something in the Vita forum to address this specific question might not be a bad idea given how often it seems to come up.

Because unlike the PS3 and PS4, the Vita gets virtually no advertisement or media coverage, and does not have the widespread appeal and brand recognition that the Nintendo DS/3DS does.  You're not going to find very many gamers that don't know what a PS3 or a PS4 is but there are definitely are a good number who don't even know what the Vita is, much less what you can do with it or what kind of games you can play on it.  When it comes to a device that none of your friends have and you know virtually nothing about, one of the first questions that comes to mind is likely going to be "is this thing worth buying?"

That being said, a stickied thread or something in the Vita forum to address this specific question might not be a bad idea given how often it seems to come up.

Because you can advertise Vita only with J-games and I guess that isn't acceptable in media xDDD

And because of that, if you like JP games, it shouldn't be a question whether it's a worthy buy :)

Xhilla is right, the number of "Should I buy Vita" threads is kinda frequent this month...

Like... I understand it's most likely because people want to get it for Christmas but one could just check :D

It's just that with all these people asking about Vita's games and whatnot, I'd expect at least one person to ask something along the lines of "Is the PS4 worth getting? It shares its entire library with the PS3!/It only has remakes!"

Someone ought to make a sticky for this.