PS4 (ORBIS): No Used Games Or Backwards-Compatability!?

DanielVT

According to information passed on by Kotaku, Gameinformer and IGN are reporting a rumor that the PS4 is codenamed "Orbis", and will not have backwards compatability with PS3 games, nor will it support used games. I personally cannot believe this. I want the PS4 to be fully backwards compatable and for it to most definitely support used games. I am also 100% tired of the rumors and will wait till official word is given by SONY. How about you guys? By the way below are links to IGN and Gameinformer's articles which also include rumored release dates and specs. I hope the majority of this info is wrong! Long live the PS3!

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/03/28/rumor-the-next-playstation-codenamed-39-orbis-39.aspx

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/122/1221819p1.html

i have a strong feeling that sony and microsoft are trying to make us move to pc. i mean, lets face it, on ps4 the games will probably be 80$ each. whos wlling to pay that much for a single game? thats where used games come in, USED GAMES THAT DONT EVEN WORK?

so theyre pretty much saying its all digital..... nah i think im happy with the ps3, and wont get the ps4. because theyre really doing EVERYTHING fans dont want them to do.

Personally, I believe that both MS and Sony are floating the idea on purpose to gauge consumer backlash. If it's little to none...expect to see this implemented. Too many peeps voice outrage...expect to be seeing an official disclaimer that these are nothing but false rumors.

With no expected release announcement at this up-and-coming E3, the next gen machine chipsets haven't even been finalized yet, which puts the machine's release at least 2 holiday seasons away. This may be nothing more than attempts to drive hype traffic to the news rumor websites.

Yeah, they do that on purpose.

• Like 3

Still wait for Sony official announcement about PS4.

Same here, I am getting tired of these rumors, but GI and IGN are seriously latching on to these rumors! I guess the bottom line is that all I want is backwards compatability. If I get that I'll be set, I mean I buy most of my games new anyway, also if it has to stay connected to the internet it does not matter to me in the slightest. Bring on epic graphics and a machine that can run games that make the pc blush and I'll be set! :D

An interesting read on why used games SUCK! (And some really good comments - particularly #1 after)

http://kotaku.com/58...t-not-be-so-bad

Thanks for the link, I am quite interested in this used-game thing, and also I am not liking this potential lack of backwards compatability! I'll read the article now!

I just read it......still not completely convinced, but it is most certainly a good argument that is somewhat convincing.

This just in....Hackers discover way to bypass used game lockout.

Seriously, system mods will be out 1 week after the system launch on how to bypass the lockout...just like the region lockout on the PS2 and PSOne. The biggest request on the Interwebs will be on jailbreaking your PS4.

DDing games is "THE FUTURE." Unfortunately until the retailers are taken out, it won't be the accepted norm. Also, if you don't want gaming to take a couple of steps backwards, make sure that the majority of the country has access to High-Speed Internet so they can access the network...oops, yeah they forgot about that. Over 50% of the country still doesn't have interweb access except for dial-up.

Yeah, the future ain't here yet...maybe the PS5 can pull it off.

This just in....Hackers discover way to bypass used game lockout.

Seriously, system mods will be out 1 week after the system launch on how to bypass the lockout...just like the region lockout on the PS2 and PSOne. The biggest request on the Interwebs will be on jailbreaking your PS4.

DDing games is "THE FUTURE." Unfortunately until the retailers are taken out, it won't be the accepted norm. Also, if you don't want gaming to take a couple of steps backwards, make sure that the majority of the country has access to High-Speed Internet so they can access the network...oops, yeah they forgot about that. Over 50% of the country still doesn't have interweb access except for dial-up.

Yeah, the future ain't here yet...maybe the PS5 can pull it off.

Yeah, you are probably right :)

im not really bothered about not being backwards compatible as i plan on keeping my ps3 and i dont buy many games used really BUT however i do borrow and lend games to friends. so if sony does this i will be buying half the games and i wont be getting the ps4 until a few years after release just because i think that not being able to play used games is wrong....... nuff said

:blah:

The not being able to play used games part is what bothers me the most because i like searching for a good bargain, but i read the '5 reasons' article and i guess i could get used to it. However i'm not really going to pay attention to anything until Sony offically announces details themselves.

.......I'll probably never be able to afford a PS4 anyways :shakefist:

Now I don't know, how the Anti-used system will work, but let's say it basically lock the game to first PSN it's on.

So let's say I on my US PSN and acciendly put a disc in and swift to my EU account and MEH

You're not supposed to have a different region account in the first place HAR HAR.

But hey, remember the Vita's used game system? It's a load of bull, which is bypassable with a cartridge format. Who knows what the PS4 will have. I'm not going to jump to conclusions, already. How many times have we not gotten incorrect information, thanks to the wonderful internet?

You're not supposed to have a different region account in the first place HAR HAR.

But hey, remember the Vita's used game system? It's a load of bull, which is bypassable with a cartridge format. Who knows what the PS4 will have. I'm not going to jump to conclusions, already. How many times have we not gotten incorrect information, thanks to the wonderful internet?

Why make it Region free, if you ain't suppoes to have another account?

Thanks for the link, I am quite interested in this used-game thing, and also I am not liking this potential lack of backwards compatability! I'll read the article now!

I just read it......still not completely convinced, but it is most certainly a good argument that is somewhat convincing.

Did you also read Shinta's comment in which he/she countered all those 5 reasons?

my feeling is that backwards compatible is going to be PS1and PS2 games being via download instead of able to play older disks... This way Sony can make money on the titles that you probably have already paid for... and/or just make money on games that you have not played yet but wanted to play...

Plus, lets not forget that there have been a lot of HD remakes of the titles that they have deemed worthy of remake... This is another way for them to cash in... but the plus side is that we get them in HD with trophies.

I don't believe for one second that they will get rid of the ability to play used games but i do see the movement towards digital downloads... interestingly enough the PSP-Go didn't really do all that well because people for some reason or another prefer hard copies (im one of them)... but the fact is that console makers can force it on us if they choose to... they could just make a ton of amazing titles for download only... but this begs a lot of questions... plus just remember the rumor of the Vita not being able to play used games? That was just a misunderstanding that got twisted all around!

Regardless, the fact of the matter is that WHATEVER they do we will either need to put up or shut up because they ultimately have the control... its not like everyone is going to stop gaming in a crazy protest, lol... I mean, i probably COULD do that because i have enough games to last me years upon years but not everyone has that option... so we will just continue to play whatever they give us until they stop giving us anything... I will guarantee that whatever one company does the others will do also... and one wont do it without the other because otherwise they could make a big mistake and people would jump ship and switch consoles and the company could potentially destroy themselves.

To sum it up... i think that a lot of rumors and exactly that... RUMORS!

and like i said... we will either put-up or shut-up... whatever they do we will either need to deal with it or jump ship to another console.... but i don't think either of the big 3 would do anything so drastic.

my feeling is that backwards compatible is going to be PS1and PS2 games being via download instead of able to play older disks... This way Sony can make money on the titles that you probably have already paid for... and/or just make money on games that you have not played yet but wanted to play...

Plus, lets not forget that there have been a lot of HD remakes of the titles that they have deemed worthy of remake... This is another way for them to cash in... but the plus side is that we get them in HD with trophies.

I don't believe for one second that they will get rid of the ability to play used games but i do see the movement towards digital downloads... interestingly enough the PSP-Go didn't really do all that well because people for some reason or another prefer hard copies (im one of them)... but the fact is that console makers can force it on us if they choose to... they could just make a ton of amazing titles for download only... but this begs a lot of questions... plus just remember the rumor of the Vita not being able to play used games? That was just a misunderstanding that got twisted all around!

Regardless, the fact of the matter is that WHATEVER they do we will either need to put up or shut up because they ultimately have the control... its not like everyone is going to stop gaming in a crazy protest, lol... I mean, i probably COULD do that because i have enough games to last me years upon years but not everyone has that option... so we will just continue to play whatever they give us until they stop giving us anything... I will guarantee that whatever one company does the others will do also... and one wont do it without the other because otherwise they could make a big mistake and people would jump ship and switch consoles and the company could potentially destroy themselves.

To sum it up... i think that a lot of rumors and exactly that... RUMORS!

and like i said... we will either put-up or shut-up... whatever they do we will either need to deal with it or jump ship to another console.... but i don't think either of the big 3 would do anything so drastic.

Lol 2 people 1 brain ... i'm the same

• Like 1