Thinking of buying a Vita

Yukizm69

So I went to my local video-game store a few hours ago and the owner told me he has a second hand PS Vita used only for three weeks by the previous owner for only 100 and I've been thinking on buying it next week when I get my next pay. I still use my old PSP every now and then and owned it for about 5 or 6 years and still up and running perfectly.

My question is mostly if it's worth it in comparison to the 3DS? I've played a bit of Samurai Warriors on my friend's 3DS and to be honest it's the only game I'm interested in on the 3DS and as I was playing it I really felt it should be played on a Vita.

And my other question is the games. Most of my friends say that it hardly has any good games again in comparison with the 3DS. I'm mostly an RPG and Hack n' Slash player but I play quite a lot of different genres, so Dynasty Warriors Next/ Dynasty Warriors 8 CE and Uncharted are on my list for sure.

And to those who already have a Vita, is it any good? in a sense do you use it a lot or did it get boring after a few weeks? and what type of memory should I buy? I know for sure that it takes a lot of space but I can easily transfer some data to my PC or PS3 if that's possible.

Cheers in advance. :)

Good, the Vita has JRPGs out the ying yang. And if you like a confluence of Japanese, RPG, and hack and slash, the Vita has a whole genre of games based off Monster Hunter on the 3DS, which are Soul Sacrifice Delta, Toukiden Kiwami, Ragnarok Odyssey Ace, and Freedom Wars.

Edited by damon8r351

My question is mostly if it's worth it in comparison to the 3DS? [...]

I'm mostly an RPG and Hack n' Slash player [...]

And to those who already have a Vita, is it any good? [...] what type of memory should I buy? [...]

=> Yes.

Depends. I imported a 64GB memorycard from Japan and it is now half full, with 21 games installed. When you dont have a giant load of plus-games 32GB should be enough. Dunno, compare the pricetag.

=> Yes.

Depends. I imported a 64GB memorycard from Japan and it is now half full, with 21 games installed. When you dont have a giant load of plus-games 32GB should be enough. Dunno, compare the pricetag.

Damn, just checked the price of a 32GB it's €85 here. The Memory card included in my offer is only 4GB. :/

Edited by Yukizm69

Damn, just checked the price of a 32GB it's €85 here. The Memory card included in my offer is only 4GB. :/

Then better import.

Paid ~75€ for the 64GB-card, 3€ for shipping (I selected ECO)

https://www.nippon-yasan.com/playstation-vita-japan/5889-sony-playstation-vita-memory-card-64gb.html

Edited by Neputyunu

Definitely get a Vita, it has a tonne of great games. Most of the PS4 PS+ offerings seem to have had cross-buy and cross-play support lately so make sure you add PS4 indies to your download list and you should find you get a lot of games in your Vita library quite quickly. And it's the place to be for JRPGs, visual novels and the like.

I recommend you get the largest memory card you can reasonably afford. I had a 16GB and it could hold about 5/6 full size games max. It was really annoying having to delete and download different games if I felt like playing something else. I recently upgraded to a 64GB and it can take my whole Vita backlog with room to spare. The 4GB one that's included will probably only hold one "major" Vita game, which clock in at about 3.4GB I find.

• Like 1

Yep, get the Vita.  This sentence alone confirms it for you, haha.

Is 64GB not a bit excessive?  Unless you get all of your games digitally, I doubt you'd need it.

Unless the game is digital-only, I don't think I'll see myself buying any digital games on the Vita with these expensive Mem.Cards. lmao

Any good J-RPG/Hack n Slash recommendations? :)

• Like 1

I've got the 8GB card and I can usually hold 1-4 games on it at a time. If you can afford to move your data back and forth between a computer and your vita then 8GB is a practical option. It usually takes around 20-30 minutes to transfer a 7GB game (Borderlands 2 and all add-ons/updates) so it's not as bad as redownloading a game from the PS store.

• Like 2

I've got the 8GB card and I can usually hold 1-4 games on it at a time. If you can afford to move your data back and forth between a computer and your vita then 8GB is a practical option. It usually takes around 20-30 minutes to transfer a 7GB game (Borderlands 2 and all add-ons/updates) so it's not as bad as redownloading a game from the PS store.

1 to 4 games isn't so bad for me. I don't tend to switch between a lot of games to be honest. I'll likely take up on a 8GB card if I'm not successful in finding a reasonably priced 32GB.

1 to 4 games isn't so bad for me. I don't tend to switch between a lot of games to be honest. I'll likely take up on a 8GB card if I'm not successful in finding a reasonably priced 32GB.

Mine came bundled with the Vita Slim and Borderlands 2. Here's a link to an Amazon page with the bundle. http://www.amazon.com/Borderlands-Limited-Edition-PlayStation-Vita-Bundle/dp/B00HLT0YT0 I think it costs the same with and without the bundle so why not get the extra stuff  :)

• Like 1

Mine came bundled with the Vita Slim and Borderlands 2. Here's a link to an Amazon page with the bundle. http://www.amazon.com/Borderlands-Limited-Edition-PlayStation-Vita-Bundle/dp/B00HLT0YT0 I think it costs the same with and without the bundle so why not get the extra stuff  :)

Thanks for the link mate! But I've already played Borderlands 2 on my 360 and spent insane amount of hours on it playing with all the avatars and DLC. :)

So far these are the games that interest me the most, which makes games on the Vita a small issue for now. 

- Freedom Wars
- Dynasty Warriors 8 Complete Edition
- Dynasty Warriors Next
- Uncharted Golden Abyss
- Demon Gaze
- Toukiden: The Age of Demons
- Toukiden: Kiwami
- Mind 0

Thanks for the link mate! But I've already played Borderlands 2 on my 360 and spent insane amount of hours on it playing with all the avatars and DLC. :)

So far these are the games that interest me the most, which makes games on the Vita a small issue for now. 

- Freedom Wars
- Dynasty Warriors Next
- Uncharted Golden Abyss
- Demon Gaze
- Mind 0

If you want two more with hack-and-slash elements, you should throw Ragnarok Odyssey Ace and Soul Sacrifice Delta onto those lists since you said you were a fan of those genres. :)  Them and Toukiden make a nice trio of action RPGs. :)

• Like 2

- Freedom Wars
- Dynasty Warriors Next
- Uncharted Golden Abyss
- Demon Gaze
- Mind 0

It still comes with the 8GB card for free. And you might want to look in to Muramasa Rebirth. It has some RPG and Hack and Slash elements in it.

• Like 1

Yep, get the Vita.  This sentence alone confirms it for you, haha.

Is 64GB not a bit excessive?  Unless you get all of your games digitally, I doubt you'd need it.

What about PS1 classics and PSP games? :(  I keep deleting games on my 64gb memory card because of the limited space :/

• Like 1

If you want two more with hack-and-slash elements, you should throw Ragnarok Odyssey Ace and Soul Sacrifice Delta onto those lists since you said you were a fan of those genres. :)  Them and Toukiden make a nice trio of action RPGs. :)

Looked those two up, they're definitely my type of games. :)

It still comes with the 8GB card for free. And you might want to look in to Muramasa Rebirth. It has some RPG and Hack and Slash elements in it.

I totally forgot about Muramasa! Definitely a must get as well. 

What about PS1 classics and PSP games? :(  I keep deleting games on my 64gb memory card because of the limited space :/

I actually have Metal Gear Solid on my PS3, that I transferred over to my PSP but I doubt will buy any PSP games for the Vita since I already have a large library for my PSP. :/

The only reason to get a 3DS is if you like Nintendo IPs (Mario, legend of Zelda, Fire emblem, Pokémon which isn't a Nintendo IP but same difference, etc). At least that's why I have one...

To be honest, I'd want a vita just for P4G, Ys, Zero Escape, and Freedom Wars. However, it'd also be cool to buy a 32GB card and load it with my favorite ps1/ps2 classics. If we are like-minded people, GET THE VITA!

Edited by Beyondthegrave07
  • Like 1

You seem to be convinced to buy a Vita, that's good.

For the games, I will once again say to look at my profile xD

But the memory card seem to be an issue.

Since you said you aren't really switching between games, 64GB is a bit excessive for you.

On the other hand, 4GB and 8GB cards really ARE insufficient. 16GB may be pretty good alternative for you.

The only reason to get a 3DS is if you like Nintendo IPs (Mario, legend of Zelda, Fire emblem, Pokémon which isn't a Nintendo IP but same difference, etc). 

Pokemon is more Nintendo IP than FE, actually =D

And there's one more reason. original SMT branch of Atlus games.

Edited by Satoshi Ookami

Looked those two up, they're definitely my type of games. :)

I totally forgot about Muramasa! Definitely a must get as well. 

I actually have Metal Gear Solid on my PS3, that I transferred over to my PSP but I doubt will buy any PSP games for the Vita since I already have a large library for my PSP. :/

It depends on what games you want to play on the Vita. In my case for example I never had a PS1 or PSP so the Vita was a great option for playing all those classics on the go.

Just checked out the content management on my Vita and I have 9GB for PS1 games and 10GB for the PSP.  That's why I think a 18 or 32 is very short space for all the content you can have in your Vita.

You seem to be a dead on target Vita consumer. I'm not at all into "japaneese" games, but I still love. A little less now when Sony is trying their best to make me hate it. But no, I can see what they do behind the smokescreen, so my Vita will remain in my heart <3

Anyway, just in case you would take a peep on something outside of your preferred genre, check out this: https://psnprofiles.com/forums/topic/23728-just-bought-a-vita-what-do-i-need-to-know/?view=findpost&p=514222

I bought a 64GB memory card from Hong kong via Ebay. Paid 55GBP including shipping, although it took 3 weeks to arrive. Totally worth it. In my country physical Vita games are very rare, so there's really not much of a choice. And deleting games is not an option for me, since I want to be able to go back whenever I want. Save files cannot be saved separately.