MKX DLC Characters Revealed

Dark_Tooth69

The four characters included in the Kombat Pack are shown in the newest trailer

Previously confirmed Jason Vorhees along with The Predator, MK4's Tanya and Cult Favorite Tremor will all be available post launch

Also included in the Kombat Pack are alternate costumes for most if not everyone in the roster.

Edited by Dark_Tooth69
  • Like 2

I love MK and I'm excited for this game, but shit like this needs to stop. The characters are done, they can easily put them in the game and make them unlockable through challenges or something. But they leave them out on purpose, just to sell them separately.

There's no way to know if the characters are actually done or not. If the characters being included on release means a delay, even if just by a month then the smartest thing to do is release the game earlier. It needs to be out in time for EVO and players need time to practice, they can't afford to delay it. Besides, it's a business, can't really blame them.

I love MK and I'm excited for this game, but shit like this needs to stop. The characters are done, they can easily put them in the game and make them unlockable through challenges or something. But they leave them out on purpose, just to sell them separately.

I know right? Publishers seem to really be abusing DLC. I still wish the PS2 days were around. If they made this game back in those days, all 4 of these characters would probably be in-game unlockables.

Now it feels like you unlock things by handing over extra dollar bill$. I'm not liking it at all. :rolleyes:

• Like 3

There's no way to know if the characters are actually done or not. If the characters being included on release means a delay, even if just by a month then the smartest thing to do is release the game earlier. It needs to be out in time for EVO and players need time to practice, they can't afford to delay it. Besides, it's a business, can't really blame them.

EVO is in July, MKX releases in April. That's 3 months of practice. MK has never been a complex fighting game, 3 months is more than enough time. They could delay it a week or 2 and it wouldn't make a difference.

But you're right, I can't really blame them too much for doing this. The people who support cut content are to blame.

• Like 1

Actually in the most recent stream, they said even Jason wasn't finished yet, so Predator, Tanya, and Tremor aren't finished either probably. Nevertheless the DLC thing is annoying, and would much rather have them delay the game if it meant they could put the characters on the disc and complete the game. But they make money off of it, so it's not going to change. Might as well accept it.

Regardless I am very excited for these new characters. Them including Predator and especially Tremor shows that NRS really cares about their fans' input. Not a big fan of Tanya, and I wish they included Havik instead, but still a good looking character pack. I'm super excited for this game now.

EVO is in July, MKX releases in April. That's 3 months of practice. MK has never been a complex fighting game, 3 months is more than enough time. They could delay it a week or 2 and it wouldn't make a difference.

But you're right, I can't really blame them too much for doing this. The people who support cut content are to blame.

I highly doubt it would take "a week or 2" to complete 4 characters, but who knows, I don't make games. 

As much as I want to agree with this... I don't think not having Jason Vorhees is causing you to miss any critical game elements.  Why shouldn't they sell it separately?

As much as I want to agree with this... I don't think not having Jason Vorhees is causing you to miss any critical game elements.  Why shouldn't they sell it separately?

Because the game is already $60. They are leaving out content and selling it separately for another $30.

I'm always surprised when people are ok with this kind of stuff. If this was released on PS2, these 4 characters would be unlockable in game. But now I have to pay extra money on top of the full game price, just to get all the content?

Now I know you may say what everyone says, "No one is telling you to buy it." That's true. But just because I may not want to buy it (and I do, because Predator) doesn't mean I have to support it.

• Like 1

Honestly i'm not okay with this but, what are you guys going to do about DLC. Boycott MKX. They're leaving out content so they can get more money but isn't that what people want to do in the game industry now. There are no more middle develops like THQ in the ps2 days now it's just AAA and indie. The AAA companies have big budgets for video games now, and the budgets are basically movie size so charging this much money might be justifiable to them. Just wait a year, and then they will release the komplete edition. Then you can get the komplete edition for $30 used.

*developers

Because the game is already $60. They are leaving out content and selling it separately for another $30.

You're getting the entire game for $60.  If you think Jason or Predator are part of the core Mortal Kombat X experience that you're missing because they're selling it separately... I'm really not sure what to tell you.

EDIT: Day One DLC is an issue if you finish the game... and your unanswered questions are only answered by spending another $30.  This is essentially optional cosmetic DLC though, which I never really take issue with.

Edited by PleaseHoldOn

You're getting the entire game for $60.  If you think Jason is a part of the core Mortal Kombat X experience... I'm really not sure what to tell you.

No, you're not getting the "entire" game for $60. There are 4 characters missing, unless you pay another $30. I don't care if the characters are special guests like Jason, or actual MK characters like Tremor. Either way, you are not getting all the content for the $60, and that can't be defended.

• Like 1

No, you're not getting the "entire" game for $60. There are 4 characters missing, unless you pay another $30. I don't care if the characters are special guests like Jason, or actual MK characters like Tremor. Either way, you are not getting all the content for the $60, and that can't be defended.

That's a pretty arbitrary line in the sand to draw.  It's content that really holds no barring to your ability to play the game.  How is the inclusion of this any different than a Collector's Edition that includes fancy artwork, a bigger box and some in-game goodies?  Just because something exists, and is released separately from the standard $60 retail release, doesn't automatically mean you're entitled to it.

Edited by PleaseHoldOn

That's a pretty arbitrary line in the sand to draw.  It's content that really holds no barring to your ability to play the game.  How is the inclusion of this any different than a Collector's Edition that includes fancy artwork, a bigger box and some in-game goodies?  Just because something exists, and is released separately from the standard $60 retail release, doesn't automatically mean you're entitled to it.

Because a cool box and artwork are just collectors items. This is actual in game content. I'll go back to my PS2 comparison. If this was released in that era, I wouldn't be able to magically unlock a physical art book or new box. But I could unlock 4 extra characters, and a bunch of costumes.

This isn't about entitlement. I just don't think I should have to pay $90 for a video game, just to unlock everything in it.

But like I said in my original post, I'm excited for the game. I'll just wait for a price drop now.

• Like 1

but back in the day you were entitled to it.

Getting Ryu's hadouken in Mega Man X  or unlocking Bill Clinton in NBA JAM was a cool little secret, now those would be preorder items.

You used to earn cheats in games like Goldenye or Perfect Dark...now you purchase them for 99 cents each.

See it just didn't use to be this way. We got the whole game and through skill or codes you unlocked the rest of the stuff.

• Like 3

Because a cool box and artwork are just collectors items. This is actual in game content. I'll go back to my PS2 comparison. If this was released in that era, I wouldn't be able to magically unlock a physical art book or new box. But I could unlock 4 extra characters, and a bunch of costumes.

This isn't about entitlement. I just don't think I should have to pay $90 for a video game, just to unlock everything in it.

In the PS2 era, I would unlock in-game artwork and documentation.  If I'm paying $60, I want everything they have to offer.  I don't want to have to pay $90 for a Collector's Edition to get all the extras I used to get for free.

I actually don't entirely disagree with you.  I just think it hurts your credibility a little bit to say one example of this is OK, but another is a travesty.  Hence the arbitrary line.

Edited by PleaseHoldOn

That's pretty cool. I'm still annoyed about the region play thing but I think the premium edition is around £65.00, so it will be well worth it. 

Maybe the licensing cost too much money now a days to see it profitable without making this stuff DLC. The characters don't work that way. First motion capture needs to be done, next we have the move lists and finally, the designing. That would probably take a few months considering NR are going to be releasing more season packs (I think).

I do support your stance on the matter, it makes me wonder what percentage of a $60 game do we get?

• Like 1