Should I watch One Piece?

m0nst3rG4m3r007

Hi, I'm fairly new to anime only started watching a couple of years ago, one of the first mangas I bought where the firs 6 volumes of One Piece, I liked it but I never carried on reading or started watching the anime due to money and time. But I do like the premise of the show but seeing as its over 600 episodes currently with no end in sight is it worth watching or not? (I've heard people say you can skip arcs but i'd have no intention of skipping aything and I would watch every episode if I started, skipping episodes really annoys me like that...)

Also being British my version of Crunchy Roll doesn't have it ;__: so using a service like that wouldn't work for me...

If you say you liked it when you read the manga I'd say go for it. Idk about what's available in GB, but I'll post a few links that are legally free here in the US and hopefully some are good for there as well

http://www.hulu.com/one-piece every subbed is free and some dubs are free

http://www.funimation.com/shows/one-piece/videos I think every sub and dub is free on this site

If you say you liked it when you read the manga I'd say go for it. Idk about what's available in GB, but I'll post a few links that are legally free here in the US and hopefully some are good for there as well

http://www.hulu.com/one-piece every subbed is free and some dubs are free

http://www.funimation.com/shows/one-piece/videos I think every sub and dub is free on this site

Thank you for the links :) is he dub any good? I normally use dubs so if they're done well.

Yes you should, plus hulu have all the episodes from the very first one to the very latest one so you will have a lot to watch with out waiting! As far as dubbed episodes its many but mostly sub titles episodes which are the best in my opinion.

Thank you for the links :) is he dub any good? I normally use dubs so if they're done well.

I prefer the subs because I like the voice actors better. That said, I like the Funimation dubs much better than the first set of dubs (I can't remember the studio that dubbed it the first time around) and I'll watch them if they're ever replaying on tv. I guess I'm trying to say that they're great if you like dubs and watchable if you prefer subs.

Guess the greatest problem about this is, that OnePiece is an "oldie".

Checked some of my anime sites and every mirror for the first episode was offline.

Also there are problems with media-rights and stuff...

Of course you also could buy DVDs, but personally I never bought some because they are too expensive imo.

Also I dont know if there are japandubs and localizedsubs... and how "childconform" it is.

When Im thinking about my childhood... Naruto in german TV.... horrible... everything they touch evolves into a kindergarden show. :D

Maybe its their fault that I get bullied today for my "childish" gamelibrary. xD

But to answer the question: Definetly would watch OnePiece, ehm yeah well, its subjective, right? I mean, its a question you must answer yourself. :)

You said you liked the Manga, so, why not?

But some parts feel really stretchy.

Its feeling like they are now for like nearly 100 episodes in Dressrosa... xD But, its not so boring (Im sorry...) like DBZ...

So, if you find a site were you can watch it, there is no need for a hurry. Guess it takes some additional months before they are leaving this island.  :giggle:

In seriousness though, i would take subs over dubs all day, any day.

You just can't miss out on all the glorious original Japanese voice-overs for some cringe-worthy English/westernized dubbing.

Edited by Goro

I tried to get into one piece from the start, but it certainly shows its age. Much like DBZ its pacing can get pretty slow (atleast early on, I didn't get very far). The 600 episode thing doesn't really help. 

To answer your question, No. There are much better anime IMO and they will consume a lot less of your time. However, if you just want something to casually watch for what seems like the rest of your life then go ahead and watch one piece xD

Try it for a bit, and if you like it, watch it. Usually, when I try out new anime, I always try to see the first 50 episodes due to some shows taking a while to take off. I just give up before that if I think it's downright awful (like Bobobobo Bobobo).

Personally, One Piece is an okay show. The characters are cool, the story is interesting and it's got some good laughs but I think it's way too long. Oda Eiichirou (the original manga author) has a problem with leaving out extraneous detail. It feels like he feels like he must include every single backstory he comes up with. The more you advance, the more convoluted and unnecessarily detailed the whole thing feels, with way too many characters, subplots and details.

That said, it's still a pretty good show and I watched 625 episodes (minus filler) no problem. Just didn't think it was anything absolutely amazing.

Just two recommendations before you begin:

1. Watch subbed. Nothing like watching the original performances. And even among other anime, One Piece has one of the best.
  2. Skip fillers. I understand you don't want to skip episodes, but believe me, you'll barely notice any difference. With manga-based anime, sometimes the anime staff has to put in some filler episodes due to the fact that an anime episode covers more material than a manga chapter, so they have to create those episodes in order not to catch up with the original manga. But believe me, those episodes add nothing to the story and you'll barely notice any difference (and One Piece's already way too long anyway).

It's great, has it's ups and downs as everything does. Mostly, it's well rounded with a lot of action and humor, cool vibes. Lots of episodes, lots of content, so I'd just watch some when you're in the mood, and don't try to binge it.

Another sweet anime, pretty main stream like One Piece, is Fullmetal Alchemist. If you have't seen many episodes of it already, it's worth checking out.

That's just Luffy.  :P Sorry you set me up.  xD

Yeah, I see ... na, its okay, Sora. :)

By the way.. were is your sister? You know, that little kawaii girl always on your side, writing in OffTopic section things totally queen-like eg "How dare you to demand coffee from the queen through waifu Neptune?" ... or something similar. :P

So? SO?! Where is my waifu? :o I know she must somewhere here... due to the fact you both would die when there is to much distance between you two. :P

• Like 1

Personally, i'd recommend reading the manga but staying away from the anime. As with most shounen shows, the anime just drags everything out so much it essentially ruins the pacing, which was already slow to begin with. No to mention filler. If you don't like reading then the anime is still a good watch, but the manga is the superior version imo.

I started watching it once, but I ended-up dropping it & starting Fairy Tail instead, which I really liked. But if you do start One Piece (dub), avoid the 4kids dub like the plague, bad voices, they replace cigarettes with lollipops, it's just horrible. Actually, since you're fairly new to anime, try to avoid all dubs from 4kids, they give English dubs a bad reputation...

• Like 1

It's great, has it's ups and downs as everything does. Mostly, it's well rounded with a lot of action and humor, cool vibes. Lots of episodes, lots of content, so I'd just watch some when you're in the mood, and don't try to binge it.

Another sweet anime, pretty main stream like One Piece, is Fullmetal Alchemist. If you have't seen many episodes of it already, it's worth checking out.

I'm like half way through FMA LOVE IT :wub:

Nice easy question", Watch it", I'm not gonna miss this one same with Naruto Shippuuden",

yeah, but I must admit, I stopped watching fillers in Naruto since episode400.

Because everytime when it becomes more interesting than it is usual anyway, you get a wall of fillers...

Marked with the red dot after the name of the episode. ... Im a bit pissed...

2jeuy2r.png

OnePiece is handling this a lot better imo. Their fillers are spreaded over the story or, the story-episodes are just streched like Luffy but not that hardcore-naggy like in DragonBallZ, so I dont know if it is a filler or not in the classical way.

But in Naruto... One time he is fighting Obito and the next time he is a child again and the topics are the chunin-exams... well... -.-

Or Detective Conan... well, the story is evolving reeeeeeeally slowly, but it doesnt matter, because he does in the fillers the same like in the story episodes. Resolving a case.

Edited by Neputyunu

yeah, but I must admit, I stopped watching fillers in Naruto since episode400.

Because everytime when it becomes more interesting than it is usual anyway, you get a wall of fillers...

Marked with the red dot after the name of the episode. ... Im a bit pissed...

2jeuy2r.png

OnePiece is handling this a lot better imo. Their fillers are spreaded over the story or, the story-episodes are just streched like Luffy but not that hardcore-naggy like in DragonBallZ, so I dont know if it is a filler or not in the classical way.

But in Naruto... One time he is fighting Obito and the next time he is a child again and the topics are the chunin-exams... well... -.-

Or Detective Conan... well, the story is evolving reeeeeeeally slowly, but it doesnt matter, because he does in the fillers the same like in the story episodes. Resolving a case.

Really?! Thanks for the info",