My opinion... this game blows.

I've been trying to like this game but it finally broke me. After getting about half way through I just can't do it anymore. The mechanics, controls, and graphics are fine but the gameplay is repetitive and boring. Enter an open area, get swarmed by a zillion orcs, die, repeat 5x, FINALLY kill everything, move to a new open area, repeat ad nausium.

Too bad, it's a fun idea but the repetition and frustration make it flounder in a genre that has plenty of other titles to enjoy, on to Vanquish!!

You can say that about any game, to be honest. For example, in Battlefield 3 almost every room is filled with armed enemies that are reinforced at least once before the room is cleared.

I've played vanquish as well. Story was dry but the gameplay was pretty good. Unfortunately without a decent story and presentation, the game only has replay value to arcade gamers. That isn't an insult.

They tried to make warhammer a game that was faithful to its origins while still being appealing to the old fans as well as the new. The reality of the matter is that unless you make something exceptional and new, the only people that your game is going to attract are the fans of the series. That's not a bad thing, but it kills the franchise unless the cult following is loyal.

• Like 2

You can say that about any game, to be honest. For example, in Battlefield 3 almost every room is filled with armed enemies that are reinforced at least once before the room is cleared.

I've played vanquish as well. Story was dry but the gameplay was pretty good. Unfortunately without a decent story and presentation, the game only has replay value to arcade gamers. That isn't an insult.

They tried to make warhammer a game that was faithful to its origins while still being appealing to the old fans as well as the new. The reality of the matter is that unless you make something exceptional and new, the only people that your game is going to attract are the fans of the series. That's not a bad thing, but it kills the franchise unless the cult following is loyal.

I looked at your game list and didn't see Warhammer there (unless I overlooked it) so you might not know just how dry it is. I've never played Battlefield so I might be talking out of my ass here but I've heard that you can do things like hop into vehicles and planes or call in air strikes etc. etc. In Warhammer you just plod along in a straight line at one pace from room to room. There's nothing else. I can forgive that style of play -I played and loved Splatterhouse- but the monotony of just shooting, shooting, shooting (no new combo's or skills to learn just the occasional weapon) and dying, dying, dying combined with the room to room feel isn't something I can get on board with. Maybe the online adds something that's missing from the SP campaign but personally, I'll never know :P

I've played through offline of warhammer. I didn't touch the online but I did complete it and I agree with you wholeheartedly. Haphazardly fighting hordes of enemies isn't that fun. I was just saying that you can dumb down any game that you want.

Also, you don't call in airstrikes in BF3. The 1p stinks lol. The MP is what you buy the game for.

What I would cite in Warhammer is that the story is pretty basic but without the lore of the warhammer universe.. you're just a hero like many other games. I get that space marines are suppose to be proud and never take cover.. but the healing system doesnt balance the lack of a cover feature. In the end, the pride of the space marine seems to lead to the most deaths.

• 2 months later...

I beat it a few days ago (got it free from PS+), and my complaint would probably be that I somehow got stuck in the floor twice, and I couldn't get unstuck unless I triggered a cutscene or died. I also saw a big ass line where the templates of the ground met that was apparently left over from Q & A. Wow.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Your cowardice shall be punished. The Inquisition will find all who reject the truth of the Codex!

But seriously, I can see your complaints. I however can stomach the room-to-room gameplay if it means I get to own some orcs as an Ultramarine. But then I've been a fan for a long time, and have played through just about every Warhammer game released in the last 15 years (almost).

I've been trying to like this game but it finally broke me. After getting about half way through I just can't do it anymore. The mechanics, controls, and graphics are fine but the gameplay is repetitive and boring. Enter an open area, get swarmed by a zillion orcs, die, repeat 5x, FINALLY kill everything, move to a new open area, repeat ad nausium.

so warhammer is that?? well bruno, prepare to be bored because in a few months here comes warhammer, but for now I enjoy be bored at infamous after I'm doing the story the 5th time for the vilian story and platinum

this game will be my 1st experiance of the Warhammer Universe will i be able to follow the story and what is going on in game if i have no knowlege of the warhammer universe

Unfortunately, there is almost ZERO Warhammer lore in this game. Fortunately, my brother has been into the PC RTS games for a while. He was able to fill me in while I was playing the game. Also, I didn't find this game to be boring one little bit. I loved it. I also didn't find it difficult at all like another poster mentioned. Even the Emperor Protects trophy I did on my 2nd try. I can't understand why this plat is so rare, actually. I think people get scared off when they see 40,000 kills. The weapons challenges are the hardest thing in the game. However, play the MP legit for a while then boost what challenge you haven't received through legit play.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 7 years later...
On 8.10.2015 at 4:01 AM, EternalChaos72 said:

I thought this game was amazing, took awhile for the platinum though (10.000 kills)

I'm in the same boat. Granted I'm writing this in 2023 where I'm seriously getting fed up by huge and bloated games that just don't seem to end. Warhammer 40k Space Marine might be simple but Iike that. It knows exactly what it is and it doesn't overstay it's welcome. Could there be more story and the mechanics a little more polished? Absolutely. But taking on waves of enemies for short campaign about 8 hours or so is a blessing compared to todays standards.

This game was my intro to WarHammer and I loved it. Then, the online team up with fellow gamers from the PSN community was great as well. To compare, the game is not active anymore but your complaint is fair but many guys loved the game including myself.

Edited by delfierro006