2020 Olympics

Connie

The 2020 Olympics is being decided soon and its between Istanbul, Tokyo and Madrid. So who do you want to win and how do you think will win? :P

My money is on Tokyo, I want them to win too since I want to visit there sometime

Spain doesn't have the money to pay for the Olympics. Of the other two I'd say Tokyo will win.

It's not about them having the money to pay for them. They already have the infrastructure to host the games, and this would bring in a lot of revenue for them. That's one of the reasons for which they'll consider Madrid as the host, just like they gave Mexico the 1986 World Cup to help them recover from the Earthquake. World Cups and Olympics bring lots of moneyz afterall.

It's not about them having the money to pay for them. They already have the infrastructure to host the games, and this would bring in a lot of revenue for them. That's one of the reasons for which they'll consider Madrid as the host, just like they gave Mexico the 1986 World Cup to help them recover from the Earthquake. World Cups and Olympics bring lots of moneyz afterall.

I'm not convinced. The total cost of the London Olympics will be over £9 billion, £6 billion of that from tax revenue. The case that hosting the Olympics boosts the economy is being questioned here in the UK, a recent example would be London based businesses reliant on the roads say they will have to lay off people or shut down for the two weeks as the the traffic will paralyse their business.

Then there is the question of whether Spain will need a bailout or not. If they do, I doubt Berlin would allow Madrid to host. If they don't need a bailout, then the People's Party's drive to cut the budget deficit will surely put an end to any Olympic dreams.

On a side note, I looked up Istanbul after making my first post. I didn't know they already had several stadiums, it might be closer than I assumed.

If Tokyo can manage the amount of tourists, olympians and upgrades to the stadiums, I would say give it to Japan. But I'm curious to see it in Istanbul. It's a lovely city, and it would bring a lot of people to Turkey. I'm just not sure how they would manage the amount of money they need, seeing as hosting the Olympics seem to be money pits waiting to happen. This is why I think it was a good idea for Brazil to host the World cup in 2014, then the Olympics in 2016; that way it isnt that big of a money pit.

As far as Madrid, they have the slimmest chance as of right now. With 2012 being London, the IOC would probably want a venue that isn't too close to a recent one.

Probably Tokyo. I wish the Olympics would come back to the States soon even if it the Winter Olympics!! :D Snowboarding FTW!! ;) (If the one of the Olympics are coming to the States soon, then please by all means enlighten me!)

Tokyo would be very entertaining and the opening ceremony would be brilliant!

Probably Tokyo. I wish the Olympics would come back to the States soon even if it the Winter Olympics!! :D Snowboarding FTW!! ;) (If the one of the Olympics are coming to the States soon, then please by all means enlighten me!)

It won't for a very long time. US hosted in the late 90's (not sure what year) so other countries get priority seeing as you have already hosted. I doubt England will host again in my lifetime and I'm 16, so depending on how old you are, it might not happen in your lifetime either. Winter Olympics might happen for you, I think the hosting rules are a little bit different for it, but you hosted in 2002 (I remember watching it) so you might have to wait a long time again.

Tokyo would be very entertaining and the opening ceremony would be brilliant!

It won't for a very long time. US hosted in the late 90's (not sure what year) so other countries get priority seeing as you have already hosted. I doubt England will host again in my lifetime and I'm 16, so depending on how old you are, it might not happen in your lifetime either. Winter Olympics might happen for you, I think the hosting rules are a little bit different for it, but you hosted in 2002 (I remember watching it) so you might have to wait a long time again.

You have a better chance to seeing it in America again lol ( I am 17.5 :D ) I am sure both Olympics will be in America in my lifetime......even if it takes a few decades! lol

• 1 year later...

To quote Japan's Olympic committee chief Tsunekazu Takeda "Fukushima is a long way away, It is no threat to Tokyo."

So happy that Japan are hosting it.

I doubt that quote from the Japan's Olympic Committee,but we'll wait & see what happens over there.

I like Japan,so I do hope everything turns out ok.

Well, more reasons to go to Tokyo I guess. Not complaining :D .

What about the radiation from Fukushima?

...What about it? That's not really near Tokyo (it's a good distance away from it, as a matter of fact, over 200KMs), so it's not an issue.

Here, have a map:

t1larg.map.japan.fukushima.daiichi.radiu

Edited by Nagflar