Rumour: Sony to enter into cloud gaming deal at E3

AndroidFox

VG247 has learned that Sony is to announce a cloud gaming deal with either Gaikai or OnLive at E3, apparently allowing streamed games on PlayStation hardware. Details are light, but the news expected to be announced in the Sony press conference on June 4.

This seriously could revolutionise online gaming, even to the point of making the PS4 irrelevant. Something like OnLive is a system within a system, so new hardware is required as it doesn't rely on the console to power the game, it's simply streamed to your television via the internet. Seriously, this could keep PS3 alive for years, even after the PS4 is released. Although, it might be a PS4 feature.

Obviously OnLive still has some basic teething issues and the game selection is pretty poor, but with Sony driving the idea forward, I could really see this taking off over the next couple of years. Gaikai only streams game demos at the moment, so a deal with Sony doesn't seem quite as likely.

If you want to try out cloud gaming on your PC visit http://www.gaikai.com and click on a game. You can play the demo no matter how crap your computer is, just so long as you computer can run Java.

Your thoughts?

The whole point of Onlive is so you don't have to buy the hardware to power the game. There's no point at all having this type of system on PS4. If it's going to be added to the PS3, then it'll just result in lesser sales of PS4.

I'd be inclined to agree with you, but remember that Sony really wants to fight piracy. Cloud gaming would just be a logical next step for them in doing so.

I hate the concept if not for the simple fact that i won't be able to play my games if my internet acts up. It's also the same reason the same that makes me avoid "always online DRM games" since my gaming pc is a portable one.

It has it's pros and cons as much for Sony as for us, but if i have a choice in the matter i WILL buy something that doesn't have cloud gaming.

• Like 1

Until they offer decent internet service where I live, I'll never be able to get into "cloud gaming." I have enough problems downloading demos, patches or trying to join other players, let alone streaming complete, HD games.

Parker

I hate the concept if not for the simple fact that i won't be able to play my games if my internet acts up. It's also the same reason the same that makes me avoid "always online DRM games" since my gaming pc is a portable one.

It has it's pros and cons as much for Sony as for us, but if i have a choice in the matter i WILL buy something that doesn't have cloud gaming.

1 word: Diablo 3

I really don't see cloud gaming working all that well here in Australia at current anyway but I suppose in other countries it could do well but I prefer owning consoles and having a physical collection of games. I only see the strong point of it hopefully fighting piracy as I don't see us in Aus getting lower prices anytime soon something I thought digital was supposed to distribution was supposed to offer.

yes that is 1 of the game i won't buy, sad sinc blizzard is 1 of the devs i really much liked, but it activision made them evil

The sad part is that it.s selling really well so most devs willl probably follow in.

My thoughts exactly. I hate everything about always online DRM in PC games, and since all of those things I hate exist in cloud gaming, I have absolutely no interest in touching cloud gaming. If that's the only method of playing games on any upcoming console, be it the PS3, Xbox 3, or WiiU (even though we already know WiiU will have Nintendo's version of blu-ray, so that's no concern), I won't be getting that console. I want to be able to play my single player games if the servers go down. I want to be able to play my single player games if the Internet goes down here. I want to be able to play my games YEARS from now when systems like the 360 and the PS3 are looked upon as old classic systems like the NES is now. Cloud gaming (and always online DRM) want to take all that away from me, and for what? To combat used sales? To combat piracy? Sure, cloud gaming also lets you get away with not having to buy expensive hardware to run games, but at the end of the day, publishers like this tech because it gives them more control over us, and I say screw that. I'm happy to not buy or play and games or systems that try to force this upon me while waiting for publishers to finally wake up and realize that the best way to get more sales and beat used games and piracy is to offer a BETTER product to their paying customers, not a worse one. People will pirate games like Ubisoft's Driver: San Fransisco because they'll get a better product than the one Ubisoft is selling; if you pay $60 for the game, you get the ability to not play it due to server downtime, but pirates get to keep on playing unobstructed. And as long as companies like Ubisoft keep asking people like me who work hard for their money to hand it over in exchange for an inferior product, I'm more than happy to just not play their games at all (no, I don't pirate them to play them, I just won't play them at all).

But yeah, problems like that Driver: San Fransisco server thing will still happen with cloud gaming, and that is why I want nothing to do with it.

Technically two words. :P But anyway, that's just one of many games I will never play due to the included always online DRM. I tried that crap once with Command and Conquer 4. It was a bad enough game in its own right, but not being able to launch the game half the time I wanted to (and this was only to play single player, mind you) just because EA's servers were garbage was complete bull. Never again, no matter what game it is.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ummm... guys...

TOKYO, July 2, 2012 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/ -- Sony Computer Entertainment (SCE) today announced that it entered into a definitive agreement on June 30, 2012 (Japan Time) to acquire Gaikai Inc., the world's leading interactive cloud-based gaming company, for approximately USD 380 million. Through the acquisition, SCE will establish a new cloud service, ensuring that it continues to provide users with truly innovative and immersive interactive entertainment experiences.

"By combining Gaikai's resources including its technological strength and engineering talent with SCE's extensive game platform knowledge and experience, SCE will provide users with unparalleled cloud entertainment experiences," said Andrew House, President and Group CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. "SCE will deliver a world-class cloud-streaming service that allows users to instantly enjoy a broad array of content ranging from immersive core games with rich graphics to casual content anytime, anywhere on a variety of internet-connected devices."

"SCE has built an incredible brand with PlayStation and has earned the respect of countless millions of gamers worldwide," said David Perry, CEO of Gaikai Inc. "We're honored to be able to help SCE rapidly harness the power of the interactive cloud and to continue to grow their ecosystem, to empower developers with new capabilities, to dramatically improve the reach of exciting content and to bring breathtaking new experiences to users worldwide."

Established in 2008 and headquartered in Aliso Viejo, California, Gaikai has developed the highest quality, fastest interactive cloud-streaming platform in the world that enables the streaming of quality games to a wide variety of devices via the internet. With this acquisition, SCE will establish a cloud service and expand its network business by taking full advantage of Gaikai's revolutionary technology and infrastructure including data centers servicing dozens of countries and key partners around the world.

The transaction is subject to certain regulatory approvals and customary closing conditions.

SCE will continue to aggressively expand a new world of entertainment through the introduction of innovative technologies and the delivery of amazing experiences.

Source

The biggest problem I have with live gaming streamed is that 8 hour gaming binges in HD will probably get you some nasty letters from your ISP.

We need to get to a point where strong, stable Wi-Fi is available in every nook and cranny of the globe before something like that can truly succeed.

That aside... I absolutely adore the idea. From someone who has never had a "good" PC, even after spending time and money upgrading parts, something like this to give me access to any game I please at the click of a button is great. Whether my PC is good or not.

Edited by Dreakon139