Unreal Engine 4 won’t support the Wii U

AndroidFox

Nintendo’s once more fallen behind even before its next generation console comes out on the market.

The console won’t be compatible with Unreal Engine 4 because, well, it simply won’t be able to handle it.

Geoff Keighley shared the news via twitter: “No, at GDC Mike Capps said Wii-U will be Unreal Engine 3,” he responded to a related question.

Epic Games has been promoting its latest engine at game shows, most recently at GDC (Game Developers Conference), showing partners what their new tech is capable of. It was also there that the developer said it saw the specs of PS4 and Xbox 720, and had to conclude that they were not powerful enough.

Let me understand this right

None of the Next-gen Consol can run Unreal Engine 4?

"It was also there that the developer said it saw the specs of PS4 and Xbox 720, and had to conclude that they were not powerful enough."

thats what I got from reading that as well. That no one can use it.

"It was also there that the developer said it saw the specs of PS4 and Xbox 720, and had to conclude that they were not powerful enough."

thats what I got from reading that as well. That no one can use it.

The new consoles WILL be able to use it and they have already claimed to have it running on the new Xbox. Also, the website is referring to another article but the link didn't translate when I copied the text, I can see why it's misleading.

“There is a huge responsibility on the shoulders of our engine team and our studio to drag this industry into the next generation,” said Gears of War design director Cliff Bleszinski in a Wired article. “It is up to Epic, and Tim Sweeney in particular, to motivate Sony and Microsoft not to phone in what these next consoles are going to be. It needs to be a quantum leap. They need to damn near render Avatar in real time, because I want it and gamers want it – even if they don’t know they want it.” - Cliff Bleszinski

Cliff doesn't say that the next gen won't be able to run it, he just feels that Sony and Microsoft are not advancing much over the current consoles.

lol im not surprised. but honestly, i AM looking forward to the WiiU, since its the first HD system by nintendo. nintendo always made good games. not going to get it the first day, not even the first year of its release, but i will eventually get it. all the zelda games come out for nintendo (obviously) so how could i miss out?

lol im not surprised. but honestly, i AM looking forward to the WiiU, since its the first HD system by nintendo. nintendo always made good games. not going to get it the first day, not even the first year of its release, but i will eventually get it. all the zelda games come out for nintendo (obviously) so how could i miss out?

Proejct Zero 2 made me consider getting a Wii

Eh, I'll get the Wii U over the Xbox 720 any day, but my primary console will still be the PS3/PS4. Unless Sony does something stupid, like start charging for online like Xbox Live, or make us buy all the PS3 games again (remove PS3 compatibility). The only reason I didn't mind at all about buying the PS2 games again is because I'd never played most of them.

Eh, I'll get the Wii U over the Xbox 720 any day, but my primary console will still be the PS3/PS4. Unless Sony does something stupid, like start charging for online like Xbox Live, or make us buy all the PS3 games again (remove PS3 compatibility). The only reason I didn't mind at all about buying the PS2 games again is because I'd never played most of them.

Backward compatible haven't been confirm in PS4.

Well 360 ppl also pay for their Demo's (at less, if they want them on Release date)

Cliff doesn't say that the next gen won't be able to run it, he just feels that Sony and Microsoft are not advancing much over the current consoles.

Either Cliff is a moron, or most gamers need a swift punch to the throat.

Graphics are at the point now where they're plenty immersive enough. We've hit the uncanny valley with stuff like Heavy Rain and it takes far, far too much time and effort to get to this point he's referring to. I defy anyone to point at footage captured from the Unreal 4 engine, and show me what doesn't already look photoreal.

Presumably the PS4 will make the technology to produce extremely high fidelity graphics easier so the trickle of PS3 games that still look like PS2 games will slowly come to a halt. After that, the most sensible, cost-effective thing we can focus on now is things like better AI in games, which is still an open problem. Things are pretty enough, but the games need to respond to input more intelligently, as that's what's going to ruin immersion in next-gen games, not graphics.

Oh, and Nintendo continue to show that they have no bloody idea who the target audience for the Wii U is. Is it the casuals? No, they're happy with their Wii! Is is the hardcore? No, I dispute that they want Avatar running in real time but they do like pretty things.

• 2 weeks later...

That's what confuses me about Nintendo, they say with the WiiU they'll have tons of third party support but instead of launching with a bunch of nice third party games, they are going to launch with a bunch of ports we've already played before. Most people who wanted to play Arkham City or Mass Effect 3 have done so already, I don't think many people were waiting on the WiiU versions. Nintendo should've had third party developers making exclusive games for their system to make us interested.

Parker

Nintendo has had their collective heads up their arse since they changed their mind over the CD add-on for the SNES almost 20 years ago. Take away the 1st party games and they've capsized. It was only because of the short explosion of the remade GameCube that kept them from going the way of Sega...and that probably would have been a good thing, getting to play new Link and Mario games on our PS3s.

Damn Casual Gamers...ruining my fun again :shakefist:

Same here, I never played too many PS2 games......Sly, and Jak etc. are all new to me! lol

Anyway, I would not be too worried, have Sony or Microsoft released the next gen yet...........NO!!! Thus they have plenty of time to make the systems very powerful. Heck, they are probably still prototypes as neither Sony or Microsoft has announced a new system yet!

Same here, I never played too many PS2 games......Sly, and Jak etc. are all new to me! lol

Anyway, I would not be too worried, have Sony or Microsoft released the next gen yet...........NO!!! Thus they have plenty of time to make the systems very powerful. Heck, they are probably still prototypes as neither Sony or Microsoft has announced a new system yet!

Normally, system chip sets have to be finalized about 2 years before the launch of the system to allow for game development time to work with the hardware. Dev kits make it possible so that they don't need a completed product to work with, however the developers have to know where the boundaries are. If MS and Sony are bringing out new systems for the 2014 Holiday season, the hardware will need to be set in stone rather soon. So basically, today's limitations on processing power will be what you'll be playing on in 2 years. Usually what a high-end PC is able to do today, that's what your next system will do in 2014.

Normally, system chip sets have to be finalized about 2 years before the launch of the system to allow for game development time to work with the hardware. Dev kits make it possible so that they don't need a completed product to work with, however the developers have to know where the boundaries are. If MS and Sony are bringing out new systems for the 2014 Holiday season, the hardware will need to be set in stone rather soon. So basically, today's limitations on processing power will be what you'll be playing on in 2 years. Usually what a high-end PC is able to do today, that's what your next system will do in 2014.

Well the high engine PC's can play Unreal Engine 4 right? If so that's all we need lol! :D