Shenmue III

Haysi_Fantayzee

The kick starter project has now ended I decided to make a thread updating anyone who is interested.

As a backer of Shenmue III I will be kept up to date with things and thought it would be nice to pass these onto you as I (and/or others) get them via email.

So basically Shenmue III was successful in raising the required $2 million and in fact ended up...

69,320 backers pledged $6,333,295 to help bring this project to life.

The money has since been taken from the pledgers bank accounts and now we all know where we are the game can be made, finally :)

Here is a link to the entire updates as they happened on kick starter...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3

If you then click on any of those news items they will open up a new window and you will then get much more information about the project, including art work, and stretch goals... and basically all the news as of now, it is a very good read.

I hope this this useful to anyone interested and I will keep you updated via this thread as and when I get any emails.

The dream of Shenmue III is now finally a reality, how crazy is that?

Sorry I forgot to add, the expected release date is set for December 2017, although I think this is just a 'rough date' and not an actual final word.

Thank you for reading.

Edited by Haysi_Fantayzee
  • Like 1

After waiting so many years, I wouldn't mind waiting just a couple of more, lol. You do not want this game to be rushed.

Man I still haven't even played Shenmue II, I wonder if the Xbox version can be played on the 360. Or I just need the Dreamcast version.

Yes, it works on the 360! :)

My copy can't be played on the 360. Your best bet is to either watch a Let's Play or wait for the HD remasters.

Well I recall reading that it can be played on certain models of the 360 and you must have a HDD.

But I still have my Dreamcast, so I was also thinking of ordering that version. I don't think there will be a HD remaster, unless it's already been announced.

I caved in at the last minute and pledged $60 for the PS4 physical version. What's funny is that I haven't even played Shenmue 1 and 2... I guess I just got caught up in the hype train.  :P

I have to imagine that Sega are going to be working on HD remasters of the first two games since the kickstarter did so well, it would be silly of them not to.

• Like 2

In one recent twitch there was mention of Shenmue I and II but not a confirmation of re-master, it was just a mention that cropped up, and I think any mention is better than none.

My guess is that the HD re-masters will definetly come and that this is a conversation between Sony and SEGA that is most likely been happening for some months now.

I doubt we will only get Shenmue III, it makes no sense at all... the absolute minimum we will see is Shenmue III and VI, it is just too much effort and circus for one game.

Yu Suzuki once said it would take six Shenmue's to complete the Shenmue story, but I don't know when this was said, it might have been long before the days of blue-ray, so it is maybe possible to get ALL of the content into 4 Shenmue games nowadays and finally complete the story.

What makes me sad is that there may not be a physical copy in retail stores. Of course, backers who donated the 60$ gets it, but I don't see why they SHOULD limit themselves to digital only.

I would be very surprised indeed if only the backers got a physical copy of Shenmue for 2 reasons...

1. It would be silly and uneconomical to press less than 50,000 copies.

and (most importantly)

2. The backers who pledged will be getting a limited edition 'backers only' case for the game... and there would be no need to do this if no physical copies were for the public because every copy would already be a limited edition, if you see what I mean.

So fear not, would be my advice.

What does a backer receive in return for its support?

Ok, so aside from actually helping the game become reality it highly depends how much the backer pledged.

The amounts started at $5 which essentially gain you Yu Suzuki's 'thanks' and the pledges ran up to $10,000 which would have gotten you a meal with Yu Suzuki and many smaller rewards too, not least the limited edition PS4 or PC disc version if requested. Other $10,000 pledges could have made you become a NPC (non playing character) in game.

There were many smaller 'rewards' with the most popular one being $60 which got the pledger a physical copy of the game (in either PS4 or PC format), other popular pledges ($100) would gain the backers name in the games final credits for all eternity.

Edit:

This is a couple of days old but for those who have not seen it, it is a little more footage from Shenmue III which is now very much in development.

The lake of lantern bugs - enjoy.

As promised I will keep you posted to any news, this morning I received an email from Kick starter, this is a direct copy/paste of that email...

On July 17th, the Kickstarter campaign for Shenmue III drew to a finish. Because of you, the backers and the fans, Shenmue III set the Guinness record for the fastest game to reach $1 million, past the funding goal of $2 million in just 8 and a half hours, set the record for video games on Kickstarter, and became the 6th most funded project on Kickstarter, collecting $6.33 million.

All of this was accomplished by your efforts. Through the illustrations you drew, the videos you produced, and all that you did throughout the campaign, I could not help but feel the deep love you have for Shenmue.

Even after 14 years have gone by, to see this outpouring of support is something one as a creator can only dream of. There can be no better feeling than what you have given me, and for that I will be eternally grateful.

We have just started getting into development, and as we move ahead, I will listen to all of you to make Shenmue III even better.

I thank you again all for your support, and wholeheartedly look forward to the rest of our journey together.

Yu Suzuki

• 1 month later...

Here is the latest update regarding how Shenmue is coming along...

I hope this link works for you (I know it works for backers of the project).

Please let me know...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ysnet/shenmue-3/posts/1336892

PS: Sorry I should have posted this last week but I have been away.

I should point out that whilst it is not yet confirmed, that there are very strong rumours surrounding the re-master of Shenmue I and II for the PS4.

As I say this is unconfirmed as of right now but the 'noise' is as strong as the original rumours were of Shenmue III, so there well be something in this.

Personally, I believe it is 90% likely that Shenmue I and II will be re-mastered, for several reasons, not least for the fact that we showed our support with our cash (we basically put our money where our mouth is) into a game that is aimed at an Autumn/Winter 2017 release, it takes a lot of loyalty to invest into a video game that no-one knows how it will turn out.

I believe the re-masters would be out in mid 2017, to help drum up more publicity for Shenmue III and really get the circus rolling, new fans will be created and old fans will be reacquainted. I am very excited if I am totally honest with you.

This of course does not factor in all of the people who did not back the project but will still buy the game when it releases world wide hopefully in 26 months time.

There have been talks of a Shenmue HD remaster for a long time but as far as I recall Sega still own the rights to the first two games and don't seem interested in doing anything with them. It would certainly be fantastic if it did happen though. 

Parker

All I can say is that SEGA re-registered the copyrights for Shenmue prior to the announcement of Shenmue III at E3.

Now, the rest is going to sound circumstantial but in the intro video at E3 where Shenmue III was announced, you could see a back ground image of Ryo Hazuki and upon his chest were 3 petals.

Now, whats that you ask? A petal is a symbol of a Shenmue game, and each of the 3 petals had pieces cut away from them, with 1 cut, 2 cuts and 3 cuts respectively... each to symbolise one of the 3 Shenmue games.

There would be no reason or need to show the Shenmue I and II petals if only Shenmue III was coming out...

It is the little things we see, and the little things that Yu Suzuki says or hints at that makes the rumours so loud...

Up until now all of the speculation has proven accurate.

Let us hope this trend continues.