Help change my mind

MesopithecusUK

I've come to the decision that I'd like to spend a week or so working on PSN Non-Platinum games that have been sat on my download list.  To help facilitate this I've split the list out into a 'yes', 'no' and 'maybe' in terms of what to play, however I feel as though I may have unfairly added games to the 'maybe' and 'no' lists.  I'm asking the PSNP community to help change my mind about these games by posting your thoughts and experiences :)

The 'Yes' List (Just for reference)

Aaru's Awakening

Doki Doki Universe

Dragon Fantasy Book 1

Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon

Fez

Flower

MonsterBag

Mousecraft

Papo and Yo

Sam and Max Beyond Time and Space series

Stick it to the Man

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 Prologue

The Unfinished Swan

Tokyo Jungle

Vessel

The 'Maybe' List

CounterSpy

Hell Yeah: Wrath of Dead Rabbit

Hohokum

Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris

Never Alone - (has [4] DLC trophies though)

Pixeljunk Monsters Ultimate HD

Proteus

Race the Sun

Skulls of the Shogun

The 'No' List

Call of Juarez: Gunslinger

Castlestorm

Cloudberry Kingdom

Coconut Dodge Revitalised

Ducktales Remastered

Get of my Lawn

Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams

Hoard

Kick and Fennick

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes

Sonic Adventure (requires [cheap] DLC for 100%)

Sonic Adventure 2 (requires [cheap] DLC for 100%]

Soul Calibur: Lost Swords

Stealth Inc 

Stealth Inc 2

Tower of Guns

Woah Dave

Thanks to everyone in advance for input ^_^

Decided to do it the easy and more efficient way. Avoid the bolds in red. (I feel this game might need an explanation though since it's a good game outside its bugs - Tomb Raider - known to cause bugs both in game and outside game. Personally, somehow, I rarely come across bugs in games, but I wasn't able to avoid one of the many bugs that TB has. I never even played the game and it deleted my game install of Rocket League. Additionally, these 4 friends of mine that I talk to just about everyday also ALL had some type of glitch/issue with TB. Two of the 4 had their game installs removed/deleted. The 3rd one who actually started the game had ALL of his save files corrupted - moment of silence for this very poor soul.... And the 4th had some issue in game that I forget, but pissed him off enough to delete the game all together. 3/4 friends had bugs without having ever played the game, now that's just sad.) Play the ones bolded in blue.

More than sure there's more I could point out to avoid, but im not familiar enough with the other games (so im not being biased and unfair).

Actually I also want to say I don't know why (some) people feel they have a real backlog and/or have to get to every single game that was made free by Sony via PS+. You should look into the games to see which interest you and then decide from their what your backlog will be. (That's what I do.) There's going to be 6+ new games every single month, categorizing them all as your backlog games or games you simply HAVE to play just never made sense to me.

And if I was to do it that way, I would be stressed (like I see how some gamers are here). I see why gamers get stressed over this, but it's very easy to avoid. Not only will every single game not interest you (whether played or not), but some will even be regretted when put on the trophy list (for trophy hunters and even for gamers who don't care as much for trophies but has a little concern for them) and some's gameplay or game difficultly will be to much or too little for people. I always analyze and look into all the free games to decide what my real backlog will be. If I and others wasn't to do this, obviously it'd be incredibly way too hard to get to everything between having a life, school (for some people), job, other activities like gym (for some), and new retail games (that are always coming out) to worry about, and etc. At least, as a non trophy hunter it'd be much easier as a lot of casual gamers simply beat a game (story) and then classifies this method as being sufficient enough to move on entirely to another game.

EDIT: 

Sonic Adventure 2 is one of THE best Sonic games ever made. It definitely ranks top 5 in the entire Sonic franchise and is one of my personal favorites growing up with GameCube. You can raise your own personal Chao in the Chao garden and have them take part in races or karate tournaments! :3

Agreed across all fronts. I'm actually now a bit interested in your other 4 favorite Sonic games, since this is obviously one of your favorites already.

Edited by Mar

Avoid the bolds in red.

Play the ones bolded in blue.

The 'Yes' List 

Doki Doki Universe

Flower

Mousecraft

The Unfinished Swan

Never Alone - (has [4] DLC trophies though)

Sonic Adventure

The 'No' List

Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris

Fez

Proteus

Vessel

Wait, why avoid Fez? It's really easy when you follow a guide and shouldn't take more than 5 hours. Same goes with Proteus, although it's more of an interactive walking simulator than a game, it's really easy so if you're looking to knock out some games off of your backlog they are great choices.

Other than that I pretty much agree with Mar. You're dead on with Never Alone, as long as the OP is willing to buy and play the DLC then I recommend it too, even just for the documentary stuff.

Edited by LeetWolf2
  • Like 1

I suggest you to take Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes from the "No list", and place it in the "Yes list". I enjoyed every bit of this game, I even pre-ordered it, the game may be short if you speedrun it, but it has replaying value, unlockables, terrific graphics, among other things. Since it's a stealth game, you can play it stealthly using your surrondings to hide from patrolling enemies, magazines to distract the enemy, your silent non-lethal gun, your close quarter combat a.k.a. CQC to dissarm or take out the enemy in a cool way; I spent like 2 hours the first time I played the main mission trying to complete it as stealthy as possible, I crawled a lot, put enemy to sleep, knocked em out, etc. The guards can see further than previous games, they can see knocked out or dead buddies from long distances, specially on hard difficulty, where they can spot you from a longer distance if you are near a light source, running or sprinting. There are also trials you can complete during the mission, like knocking out all guards or tagging them, killing rats or ravens, finding all Metal Gear logos, among others. For the trophy "Hero", you are asked to S rank all missions (save for Jamais Vu) on both difficulties (normal and hard) which may take you a while trying to find a good strategy to complete the mission as fast as possible, no killing is mandatory for S ranks as well as no reflex mode which can be deactivated. Try the game on an alt account if you still have doubts, but I think you may love the game, just give it a chance :)

Regarding Stealth In 1 & 2, the goal of these games is reaching the exit of every level in all 8 sectors using your logic to solve the pluzzes in each level, the last level of each sector always has a boss that can see further. Just like MGSVGZ, there is trophy for S ranking each and every level, time & times you get spotted determine your rank, no death allowed, save for particular situations (Stealth Inc 2 only). The second game is a bit different since you are in a facility and you need to travel through it to find the entrance for each level. The second game is less difficult than the first and doesn't have DLC trophies, at least yet. I liked both games, but I suggest you to watch some videos of these games.

I don't recommend you Woah Dave!, since it has score related trophies which might take a while to earn. I haven't played Cloudberry Kingdom, I will tough, but I heard the game it's really hard, specially due to the last 2 levels, which only 4 people managed to beat according to psnprofiles, in order to get the hardest trophy in this game; that's right, there are only 4 people with 100% on this game, so I don't recommend you this game either.

From your "Maybe list" I only played proteus, it's an easy 100%, there are only 2 trophies which make take a little while to get, the one which requires you to find every species of plants and the one which requires you to touch every tombstone. I haven't played Counterspy, either, but I will for sure, I guess is a stealth game. Again I suggest you to check some videos.

I most likely play many, not all, of the game on your lists, as long as they have achievable trophies. However I do check out gameplay videos before playing them to see if I could find the game entertaining.

Edited by Deceptrox
  • Like 1

Actually I also want to say I don't know why (some) people feel they have a real backlog and/or have to get to every single game that was made free by Sony via PS+. You should look into the games to see which interest you and then decide from their what your backlog will be. (That's what I do.) There's going to be 6+ new games every single month, categorizing them all as your backlog games or games you simply HAVE to play just never made sense to me.

And if I was to do it that way, I would be stressed (like I see how some gamers are here). I see why gamers get stressed over this, but it's very easy to avoid. Not only will every single game not interest you (whether played or not), but some will even be regretted when put on the trophy list (for trophy hunters and even for gamers who don't care as much for trophies but has a little concern for them) and some's gameplay or game difficultly will be to much or too little for people. I always analyze and look into all the free games to decide what my real backlog will be. If I and others wasn't to do this, obviously it'd be incredibly way too hard to get to everything between having a life, school (for some people), job, other activities like gym (for some), and new retail games (that are always coming out) to worry about, and etc. At least, as a non trophy hunter it'd be much easier as a lot of casual gamers simply beat a game (story) and then classifies this method as being sufficient enough to move on entirely to another game.

Thanks for taking the time to give me some feedback on the games I have on my list.  Don't get me wrong, whilst they are on my download list I don't classify all of them as my backlog - I do have a habit of adding all of the PS+ games to my list but only because you never know which game might turn out to be an unknown gem (hence why I asked the question too about the maybe and no lists)  

In terms of other games that have been offered on PS+ that have platinum trophies, I have a similar list but have done research in terms of the 'yes', 'no' and 'maybe' With the 'maybe' only being where games are later in the series and I've not played the earlier games (like Bioshock Infinite for example)

I stopped being stressed about my backlog a long time ago, but due to personal circumstances I have some free time at the moment to be able to spend on gaming and want to spend a little bit of time playing some of these games before moving on to some more lengthy games (I spent over 200 hours on a game recently too so playing something short and light will be nice)

• Like 1

Castlestorm is a bit grindy (didn't 100% it myself), but I enjoyed the game, as I actually enjoyed Tower of Guns, which as stated is a fairly easy 100%.

Counterspy was fun too and a fairly easy trophy set, as is Never Alone.

I'd keep Vessel, little bit of time to 100% but again, I had good fun with that game.   Tokyo Jungle is worth playing regardless of trophies, mad game!   :)

Edited by RedMustang72
  • Like 1

Wait, why avoid Fez? It's really easy when you follow a guide and shouldn't take more than 5 hours. Same goes with Proteus, although it's more of an interactive walking simulator than a game, it's really easy so if you're looking to knock out some games off of your backlog they are great choices.

Other than that I pretty much agree with Mar. You're dead on with Never Alone, as long as the OP is willing to buy and play the DLC then I recommend it too, even just for the documentary stuff.

Let me start of with... yea sometimes trophy hunters use games purely for their trophies (because sometimes a game sucks that bad or doesn't interest a person enough), but my perspective was considering good games with 100%s that aren't too bothersome or time consuming. The ones in red were put there because the game themselves aren't that good, even if they do have easy or mostly easy trophies. I've seen countless comments about Fez and Proteus being bad experiences, boring, and not worth the time. Ignoring enjoyment though, I'd say use the games for their trophies. I mean, you still actually have to go through it either way, but that can't be helped.

(Only reason I didn't highlight SA2 in blue was because the OPter... oh, I actually don't know where I got the thought from, but I thought she said that she didn't want to deal with time consuming games at the moment. I shall put SA2 in blue bold now, but if she did say what I thought she said, I quoted that one person on purpose in the same reply so that it was known that SA2 is a good game worth being on the yes list... just wasn't there because of the grind for 2 trophies.)

Edited by Mar

From your "Maybe" list, I recommend considering Counterspy and Race the Sun.

Counterspy isn't that difficult and is a pretty short game. It's got some interesting weapons and is a solid stealth/shooter. I also liked some of the humor in it. For example, all of the people on the "USA" side were apparently called Johnny. When someone finds a body he's all "Oh no! Johnny!!!!"

Race the Sun is difficult right from the beginning, but it's a fun game once you get it figured out a bit. Personally, I liked the challenge of it and think it's one of those games that would be kind of bland if it was too easy.

• Like 1

I would recommend Hell Yeah, Race the Sun, and Tower of Guns. Hell Yeah is a really uniquie combat platformer made by a really cool Dev team at Arkedo. Race the Sun - just overlook the initial difficulty. It is a really smooth arcadey game that you can easily just pick up and play; get over the learning curve and it is a lot of fun. Tower of Guns is a really unique first person shooter/roguelike. Try it on an alt first, you'll either love it or hate it, but I enjoyed it enough to do both lists.

• Like 1

...my perspective was considering good games with 100%s that aren't too bothersome or time consuming. The ones in red were put there because the game themselves aren't that good, even if they do have easy or mostly easy trophies. I've seen countless comments about Fez and Proteus being bad experiences, boring, and not worth the time. Ignoring enjoyment though, I'd say use the games for their trophies. I mean, you still actually have to go through it either way, but that can't be helped.

Well, I don't know who those people are but I had a great time with Fez. The bright colours, the great puzzles and the other two uh "game modes" (more like screen filters but still). And Proteus, for a walking simulator was actually pretty entertaining. It's not as good as something like Journey or Flower but like Fez it was really colourful and exploring the island to find new stuff and different times of the day was kinda fun.

I think most of the hate for Fez comes from people hating Phil Fish. I don't think that should alter your judgement of a game, regardless of how much of a jerk he is. (I'd say ruder things about him but I'm unsure of the forum rules on swearing)

From the ones i've played in your list, definitely add Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris to your 'Yes' list, it's a fast and enjoyable 100%. You don't even need a guide for it (i didn't), it's just play the game and complete every challenge, you don't need to pick every weapon, upgrades or relics like in Guardian of Light. I heard there's a save glitch in the game related to playing before the latest patch came out (which fixed it i think?) but nothing glitched on me.

And make sure to keep Get Off My Lawn in your 'No' list, it's an easy (but grindy) 100% but unless you're okay with trophy glitches then i'd say stay away from this game.

I also played Sonic Adventure and i wouldn't recommend it. It's an annoying game and the trophies are a pain, you'll see yourself playing the same stage over and over again to master it. Even after you have everything figured out you can end up falling out of bounds because the game is completely broken. Thankfully that only seems to happen in the first few stages. But the camera never seems to behave in any stage, it will always get stuck if you're not careful or won't be showing Sonic (or whoever you're playing as) at all. You have to play as every character to get a vanilla trophy and playing as Big the Cat SUCKS. And then once you 100% the game there's still the DLC which requires you to 100% the game. The game is just frustrating, didn't age well at all... i'd say move it to the 'Pits of Hell' list.  ^_^

You should also consider playing Proteus, it's a a very fast 100%. Not sure if i would call it enjoyable but if you have a few hours to spare try this out, 100% it then delete. It's like it never happened.  B)

• Like 1