Introducing Eververse Trading Company (Microtransactions)

Aranea Highwind

Technically not the first time there are micro transactions in the game, as we already had them with the $20 emotes, shaders, class items pack that's currently available on the PSN store.

TL;DR

Bungie will add a new currency known as "Silver" to purchase cosmetic items. They will give everyone a few of those so they can buy 1 or 2 cosmetic items.

https://www.bungie.net/7_Introducing-Eververse-Trading-Company/en/News/News?aid=13672

eververse.jpg

We’re bringing Tess back.

We’ve already said that there’s more to discover in The Taken King – and there is – but beyond the content available in the launch window of The Taken King, our goal is to continue creating experiences that will keep the game fresh, fun, and surprising. Today, we wanted to share with you a new element we’re incorporating into Year Two of Destiny.

This coming Tuesday, October 13th, Tess Everis will return to The Tower with a new look, a new storefront, and some new items to sell, courtesy of Eververse Trading Company. Initially, Tess will offer eighteen brand new emotes. Like the trio of emotes offered via The Taken King Collector’s Edition, these emotes are completely optional, and won’t impact the action game in any way. 

To acquire these items, you’ll first need to pick up some “Silver,” a new in-game currency that will be available for purchase through the store associated with your console. Images and descriptions for each available emote, along with pricing information for Silver will be made available Tuesday, October 13th, alongside the launch of the in-game storefront right here on Bungie.net as soon as the content is live.

If you’re not interested in what Tess has to offer, you won’t ever be forced to pluck an item off of her shelf. You’ll still receive updates to the game, and you won’t lose a Crucible encounter or fail to clear a Raid because you didn’t have the right Eververse Trading Company emote equipped.

Our plan is to use these new items to bolster the service provided by our live team for another full year, as they grow and create more robust and engaging events that we’ll announce later this year. It has been, and continues to be, our goal to deliver updates to the game. Going forward, our live team is also looking to grow beyond vital updates and improvements to focus on world events, experiences, and feature requests.

If you’re still skeptical, you can log in next week and take a look for yourself. We’ll be dropping some free Silver into your account so you can purchase an emote or two and become legend through the power of dance.

As always, we’ll be watching and listening to your feedback, and we’ll talk more soon.

See you in The Tower.

Edited by Paige
  • Like 1

I appreciate the transparency here. Luke Smith mentioned in the Kotaku interview that Bungie has a dedicated live team to monitor issues in the game and make updates. That the ETC is created as a means help pay for this with cosmetic micro-transactions is a smart move IMO.

• Like 1

[...] or fail to clear a Raid because you didn’t have the right Eververse Trading Company emote equipped.

somehow I see this as possibly not being true? LMAO.

Still waiting for the slow clap emote.

On a secondary note, why doing this with microtransactions? Just make it avaiable for everyone for a high price like the store sparrows are expensive.

When I think I'm getting used to bungie's apartheid between who is willing to shell extra cash and who don't, there they come to surprise me.

On a more positive note, as long as it's possible to use a demo of the emote before buying it (pressing triangle and seeing it on the menu doesn't count), I'm okay with anyone purchasing that. The menu makes some of my shaders look really cool, but they suck when I put them on.

Edited by TheYuriG
  • Like 1

I still don't agree with microtransactions in a full price game. We've already payed $60+ for the game, and more with DLC. As with their overpricing of DLC, this just seems like more nickel and diming. They've yet to add any significant content updates that they _haven't_ charged for, and one would think that after all the time and passion players have put in, they would be a bit more generous and show some appreciation for their fans with some free content updates, like how The Witcher 3 does, or GTA V.

Speaking of that emote bundle, that was a pretty huge slap in the face as well. $20 for 9 emotes? Really? That's the same price as their first two DLC, which I also found to be overpriced, and half the price of their new "The Taken King" DLC, which I feel is overpriced as well.

It would be nice if players could actually earn all of these in-game through various activities, and even get "Silver" as a reward for doing difficult challenges like the Nightfall, or performing well in the Crucible. Why they've yet to offer this as an option for those not willing to, or unable to pay, I haven't any idea. My guess is, as demonstrated with the pricing of their previous content, it's simple greed.

Rant aside, I guess it's nice that there are more emotes and such coming. Just a shame they'd rather squeeze their fans of every penny they can, rather than showing some appreciation for all of our time and dedication by giving us some sort of free content every now and then.

• Like 2

Keep in mind that cosmetic microtransactions is going to open the path for future expansions free of charge. The current plan is to release a new Destiny game each year and offer the new expansion without charging us.

This is what Bungie is saying, "Going forward, our live team is also looking to grow beyond vital updates and improvements to focus on world events, experiences, and feature requests." Expansions are not listed here and for good reason. Bungie is contractually obligated to deliver a set number of expansions for Activision. This all came out in the CoD legal battle of Jason West and Vincent Zampella against Activision. Even the leaked images of Bungie's release schedule seem to confirm the same pattern of release. Destiny #1, DLC, DLC, Expansion, DLC, DLC, Destiny #2, DLC, DLC, Expansion, DLC, DLC up until Destiny #4. There are conditions for termination of the contract, but in the absence of a change, we appear to be right in line with Activision's schedule. I don't think ETC has any affect on this.

I just read the Kotaku article that seems to be the source of the idea that DLC packs are going away in favor of this new microtransaction model. They cite the same source which I quoted above, they just had an different interpretation before some of the details came out. I still stand by my opinion that we'll see more special events and a faster turn-around on balances and tweaks throughout the year, but not at the expense of Activision selling two DLC packs between now and next September when the inevitable Destiny 2 launches.

Keep in mind that cosmetic microtransactions is going to open the path for future expansions free of charge. The current plan is to release a new Destiny game each year and offer the new expansion without charging us.

I'm skeptical. TTK was also free but had the pay barrier to access it's content to the fullest, I don't doubt the same can happen here in a different manner.

that's bungie's plan. activision, however, likely has other ideas. i hope this is true but i'll believe it when i see it, which i doubt. 

I'm skeptical. TTK was also free but had the pay barrier to access it's content to the fullest, I don't doubt the same can happen here in a different manner.

that's bungie's plan. activision, however, likely has other ideas. i hope this is true but i'll believe it when i see it, which i doubt. 

This seems to be true actually. A few months before TTK was released, someone on Reddit that had insider information leaked a huge list of changes that would be happening in the game. So far everything that was leaked has been true so far. One of the things mentioned was cosmetic microtransactions replacing paid season pass, which seems to be happening sooner than later.

• Like 2

This seems to be true actually. A few months before TTK was released, someone on Reddit that had insider information leaked a huge list of changes that would be happening in the game. So far everything that was leaked has been true so far. One of the things mentioned was cosmetic microtransactions replacing paid season pass, which seems to be happening sooner than later.

That would be tremendous if that is the case. I'll be cautiously optimistic while enjoying the crap out of the TTK content.

oh wonderful, here's to hoping, then! while i still highly dislike microtransactions in full priced games, at least it's for cosmetic things and not for things that could affect leveling/progress. 

After the B.S. that's been pulled on all of us over the past year, I'm definitely skeptical but hopeful. We'll just have to let time tell.

Also, couldn't they have named this anything else? What else are people going to think when they see the word "trading"?

Edited by SlyCooperFan100

Hopefully trading comes into play eventually, I would love to give all my equipment away when I'm done with Destiny.

I heard that it's probably not going to happen. Blizzard stepped in as consult and warned Bungie against allowing gear to be traded.

I got six Gjallarhorns last year. I wouldn't have thought twice about selling five of them. ;)

I heard that it's probably not going to happen. Blizzard stepped in as consult and warned Bungie against allowing gear to be traded.

I got six Gjallarhorns last year. I wouldn't have thought twice about selling five of them. ;)

Also doubt it.

Knew a guy played Destiny since launch, didn't have a Gjorn. Bet he would have bought yours. If the price is right, you know...

I know I played a lot of Realm of the Mad God and shit, trading as fun as hell there.