...Yeah. Another reason to avoid the Wii U

Lady Lilith

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118270-Nintendo-Online-May-Only-Be-Free-for-Casual-Gamers

Nintendo wants to make the Wii U online free...but only for casual gamers. They're probably going to charge us real gamers.

Screw Nintendo online, their online has always been ultra shitty compared to Sony. They don't have any real games worth playing online anyway, maybe a handful of third party games and SSB, that's it. Plus we've all seen how they handled Brawl online, which doesn't give me any hope for another attempt at console online. I don't even use the 3DS's online outside of downloading VC games.

How will they identify the hardcore? By how long they would play for? Nintendo doesn't really have much where you can pour hours and hours into for days unless it's their older games.

Probably the types of games they play/buy? I dunno. If they really start an account based system with the WiiU, it's quite possible the system will keep track of the games you play, much like PS3. I guess the casual games would obviously be Just Dance or what the hell ever they have like that, and their stupid Wii Fit/Wii Music crap. Guess if you have Mario/Zelda in your playlist, they'll charge you. Although those are quickly becoming quite casual too, with all their hand-holding. I'm looking at you, SMG2, NSMBW, SM3DL, OoT 3DS

Nintendo is turning into a bunch of pussies now. We used to have relentless games that were made difficult so they would last long like Contra for example. Now this generations (PS3 and Xbox too, not just Nintendo) games have hints galore and are a cake walk and can be beaten in a few hours and you're left with nothing but an empty wallet and a feeling of being used like a cheap whore.

Edited by Deth

http://www.escapistm...r-Casual-Gamers

Nintendo wants to make the Wii U online free...but only for casual gamers. They're probably going to charge us real gamers.

Screw Nintendo online, their online has always been ultra shitty compared to Sony. They don't have any real games worth playing online anyway, maybe a handful of third party games and SSB, that's it. Plus we've all seen how they handled Brawl online, which doesn't give me any hope for another attempt at console online. I don't even use the 3DS's online outside of downloading VC games.

And Nintendo proves again that it doesn't know what the jolly fuck it's doing by further alienating what remains of its core fanbase whilst simultaneously failing to appeal to the casual crowd.

We used to have relentless games that were made difficult so they would last long like Contra for example. Now this generations (PS3 and Xbox too, not just Nintendo) games have hints galore and are a cake walk and can be beaten in a few hours and your left with nothing but an empty wallet and a feeling of being used like a cheap whore.

Really?

I have fun with the games I buy...

Edited by Dreakon139
  • Like 1

I have fun with some of the games that I buy new nowadays too, but half of the ones you see out there aren't worth $60 at all!

There were probably tons of NES and SNES games that were utter trash and wouldn't want to pay full price for back in the day, but we forget about them because of the nostalgia-goggles.

Though it was probably harder to be picky back then too. Nowadays we have long awaited sequels, exciting new IP's or just brilliant games in general coming out on nearly a monthly basis. With that kind of saturation, it's so much easier to hate games for asinine reasons.

Edited by Dreakon139
  • Like 2

Another wonderful piece of information: Wii U discs will be the same size as Blu-Ray whilst not being Blu-Ray because fuck useful features like being a Blu-Ray player, right? It's not like Sony won the format wars by making their console the foremost Blu-Ray player, right? It's not like Nintendo are actually competing with Sony for sales and not having their console able to do the most basic of things will hurt them at all, right? Right?

Blu-Ray isn't easy to pirate, you stupid, stupid people, Nintendo. This proprietary shit isn't necessary.

Damn, I really hope the Wii U fails spectacularly like it deserves to.

• Like 1

Another wonderful piece of information: Wii U discs will be the same size as Blu-Ray whilst not being Blu-Ray because fuck useful features like being a Blu-Ray player, right? It's not like Sony won the format wars by making their console the foremost Blu-Ray player, right? It's not like Nintendo are actually competing with Sony for sales and not having their console able to do the most basic of things will hurt them at all, right? Right?

Blu-Ray isn't easy to pirate, you stupid, stupid people, Nintendo. This proprietary shit isn't necessary.

God...I hear about this rumor way back before E3, like at the end of last year. You mean it's actually TRUE?! God, Nintendo is so damn stupid.

They'd have to pay the royalty to Sony (along with other companies in the group) to use the Blu-Ray drive.

There's an article on IGN about the Wii U discs: http://wii.ign.com/articles/117/1176505p1.html

They say that "enough people already have devices that are capable of playing DVDs and Blu-ray, such it didn't warrant the cost involved to build that functionality into the Wii U console because of the patents related to those technologies."

Edited by AntiFrank

They'd have to pay the royalty to Sony (along with other companies in the group) to use the Blu-Ray drive.

Yeah, $9 per console. Still, $9 for the savings of 1) not having to develop your own bullshit format and the associated player so you can just use standard components, 2) adding a ton of functionality to your console is not that bad, I don't think.

Also it'd be nice so people could make backups of their game and emulate them when that inevitably happens, but I know that's pretty much the reason why they didn't use a standard format. Ah well.

• 3 weeks later...