PS2 backwards compatibility returning in future update, Vita PS1 classics coming in 1.80

Lady Lilith

hmmm... not too bad. As long as it works. I remember when I first got my old 60gb, I tried to play Ratchet & Clank but the frame rate was terrible. Had to play it via PS2 for it to work properly. It does kinda make the 'PS2 Classic Downloadables' redundant though doesn't it?

hmmm... not too bad. As long as it works. I remember when I first got my old 60gb, I tried to play Ratchet & Clank but the frame rate was terrible. Had to play it via PS2 for it to work properly. It does kinda make the 'PS2 Classic Downloadables' redundant though doesn't it?

Not if people don't own the originals. There are some games they could release where it'd be far cheaper to get a digital version, similar to FFVII and co.

Hmm, interesting. I have one of the first PS3 (60GB) that actually could play PS1 and PS2 games. I keep running out of space on my harddrive though. Maybe this means I'll soon be able to upgrade to a slim and still get to play my old games.

Yeah, it's nice. I can finally play Yakuza 1 and 2 on my PS3, and hopefully not have to deal with stupidly long loading times. Also Sonic Heroes and Shadow the Hedghehog. Also picked up Sonic Mega Collection Plus for 5 bucks, so now I can play almost every Sonic game released on PS3, since SMC+ has a total of 20 games. Pretty amazing for a PS2 game.

I have a pretty big backlog of PS2 games since I'm too lazy to hook up the PS2 since I already have the PS3, original Xbox and Dreamcast hooked up. I remember trying to play my uncles copy of Devils May Cry 3 and getting denied v_v

This is nice. Now I might finally be able to own Star Wars Battlefront II without having to get a PS2 or a new PC.

i agree as soon as this update comes good bye COD and hello Star Wars but i never did get rid of my copy or my PS2 so im still in good practice

Edited by silver_pigy

Hmm I don't know if I'd every use the backwards compatibility but it's nice to have.

That's actually what I was thinking, since I have a modded PS2. But then I got to thinking that I don't really like pirating games (if I can avoid it), and I'd actually have a hard copy of the PS2 game. Most PS2 games are pretty cheap now anyway, plus there's already a good amount that I have on PS3 as remasters.

That's actually what I was thinking, since I have a modded PS2. But then I got to thinking that I don't really like pirating games (if I can avoid it), and I'd actually have a hard copy of the PS2 game. Most PS2 games are pretty cheap now anyway, plus there's already a good amount that I have on PS3 as remasters.

Yeah, the only games I can really think I'd want to play would be the Jak games and I want to buy the collection anyways for the trophies and just remastered..

This is nice. Now I might finally be able to own Star Wars Battlefront II without having to get a PS2 or a new PC.

For this and all the COD and MOH games, I am now a super happy person!!! :D

Edited by DanielVT

I kind of doubt a simple update will bring back PS2 bc, but who knows? This could very well be the reason Sony bought Galkai though.

http://thegamefanatics.com/2012/07/05/ps1-ps2-games-coming-ps3-streaming-service/

Think about it, PS1/PS2 games would be easier to stream bandwidth-wise.

All they would need to do is add software emulation - completely doable through a firmware update. Granted, it wouldn't be anywhere near as good as actually having the hardware in the system like it was before, but it would work, at least.

It's just a matter of actually getting the emulator to run well. The stuff they have on PC right now is decent, but FAR from perfect, but it's also all created by fans, essentially. If anyone could get it to work, it'd be Sony.