DC Cinematic Universe

TheVader66

Kinda sad that we won't get a DCEU movie until December with the release of Aquaman but at least that means they are no longer rushing the movies like they did with Justice League. Though Shazam is currently being filmed at the moment but it will probably come out early 2019.

Edited by TheVader66

• 2 weeks later...

Just noticed that I haven't posted anything on here regarding Wonder Woman and Justice League so here it goes.

Regarding WW, I watched the movie on Blu-Ray as I had missed my chance watching it at the cinema, which was a bummer as the movie was really good.

After watching it twice on Blu-Ray it's definitely one of the DCEU's best movies to date. 

Themyscira was very well captured and really enjoyed how the amazon's were portrayed.

The battle scenes were also amazing to watch and the cinematography in the beach battle and No Man's Land were especially beautiful.

The soundtrack was also really good and Gregson-Williams did an excellent job.

Story pacing was also good.

Last but not least Gal Gadot did a perfect job capturing early Wonder Woman and captured her representation well enough.

The only negative I can think of is the ending dragged on quite a bit, which isn't really a big deal. I would definitely rate WW my second favorite DCEU movie, BvS still being first.

As for Justice League, I'm heavily mixed on the movie.

Starting with the positive, most of the league members were captured well enough (Wonder Woman, Superman, Cyborg and the unique take on Aquaman).

Story-wise it was good enough with a pretty okay villain, aside from some corny and useless scenes (Flash on top of WW, Martha accidentally calling Lois thirsty, the Russian family sub-plot which led to nowhere. Ugh)

Now the negatives outweigh the positives here.

For starters to get it out of the way, JL was clearly NOT a Zack Snyder movie. This was a Joss Whedon movie with some of Snyder's sprinkles here and there.

For one, Snyder would have never put half-assed, lame, out of place jokes in the movie for sure. Whilst there wasn't a huge amount, the corny jokes should have never found their way into the movie.

One of my major issues I have for this movie is the amount of unnecessary re-shots. The scenes from the first and second trailers were perfect enough to keep viewers in awe but the movie we got to watch turned out into an over-saturated garbage. Snyder would have never let his movie have those visuals for sure.

Also whats the deal on trying to change this Batman's character? The Batman in BvS was a brooding, pissed off bad-ass. In JL suddenly he's this throwing useless quotes such as ''Oh something is definitely bleeding'' or ''I do not not hate you''. I hope people understand what I'm meaning here.

Another issue I have with this movie is The Flash. This Flash is honestly a bloody idiot and it's all thanks to the movie's re-shots to make him funny. Whilst I have no problem with Flash being the light-hearted member of the team, this Barry Allen built his own suit, already knows about the speed force, currently studying forensics and even got his chance to join the CCPD by the end of the movie. This Barry Allen is also the same one that doesn't know which way is left or right and also doesn't know which way to face to head towards the pacific ocean. I thought this guy was suppose to be highly intelligent to say the least. 

Also and I'm pretty sure everyone has heard this a thousand times already which is Superman's opening CGI on his face. I'm pretty sure a High-school student with basic knowledge in video editing could do a better job than the person that actually did in the movie, which funny enough someone did do a better job with a basic video-editing program on twitter.

My last major issue with this movie is the soundtrack. My god to even think that this movie initially had Junkie XL composing the soundtrack and ended up with Denny Elfman recycling horribly edited tracks from his older works. Seriously this movie's soundtrack has BTAS and Avangers all over it, which wouldn't be too bad with BTAS if it wasn't so out of place. The only track that I really liked was The Flash's theme which is pretty much Elfman's copied version of the CW's theme.

I really want to love this movie more, but I just can't all that much. I love the DCEU's characters a lot, but WB pulling sh!t like this just pisses me off. The movie had such a great potential, just watching this movie's deleted scene shows how much better the movie would have been (Superman's Black suit, Barry saving Iris West, freaking Darkseid along with an expanded Knightmare sequence). How these scenes are less relevant than the Russian family sub-plot is beyond me. Just as DCEU fans started getting used to and enjoying the universe's dark tone, WB decided to go ahead and copy Marvel's style with JL, throwing in useless humorless jokes with over-saturated visuals. I would still rank this movie above Suicide Squad just because it's the very first Justice League movie which isn't animated and I love the characters dearly. I just hope WB gets their sh!t together with their future movies and give their respective directors a fair amount of freedom when directing future films.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

My DCEU tierlist with what I've seen so far:

S - 

A - 

B - Man of Steel, Wonder Woman

C - Batman v Superman, Aquaman, Birds of Prey

D - Justice League

E - Suicide Squad

F - 

I have zero interest in Shazam! so I'll probably never watch that one. I know Snyder Cut is supposed to be better than what Ultimate Edition was to Batman v Superman, but I don't really like even the good parts of JL enough to rewatch it in any form. And I'm not a big fan of Snyder anyway. Still on the fence about WW1984. I was excited when it was annunced, but with every new trailer the film looked more and more "meh" for me, so I still haven't seen it. Will probably watch The Suice Squad though.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Slava said:

My DCEU tierlist with what I've seen so far:

S - 

A - 

B - Man of Steel, Wonder Woman

C - Batman v Superman, Aquaman, Birds of Prey

D - Justice League

E - Suicide Squad

F - 

I have zero interest in Shazam! so I'll probably never watch that one. I know Snyder Cut is supposed to be better than what Ultimate Edition was to Batman v Superman, but I don't really like even the good parts of JL enough to rewatch it in any form. And I'm not a big fan of Snyder anyway. Still on the fence about WW1984. I was excited when it was annunced, but with every new trailer the film looked more and more "meh" for me, so I still haven't seen it. Will probably watch The Suice Squad though.

As maybe the only person in the multiverse who has only seen the Snyder cut, I found it to be bloated and extremely unevenly paced - but actually quite enjoyable - though it pretty much requires the viewer to have seen the 'ultimate cut' of the Batman vs Superman movie.

(That Ultimate Cut is still not great, but at least turns a wildly uneven and pretty lacklustre movie into one that is over-long, but at least makes narrative sense (for the most part.)

I have never seen the Joss Whedon Justice League cut though, so have no context for how much 'better / worse' it was.

I do think it being sold as a 'movie' is disingenuous though - it is structured as a miniseries - split into 6 (or seven?) distinct parts, and works much better if you watch it as such, with breaks in between.

Personally, I think Wonder Woman is the high point (not only of the DCU, but eclipsing most if not all of the MCU too), but the rest are kind of all over the place (with Suicide Squad being truly one of the worst movies I think I've seen in quite some time).

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

As maybe the only person in the multiverse who has only seen the Snyder cut, I found it to be bloated and extremely unevenly paced - but actually quite enjoyable - though it pretty much requires the viewer to have seen the 'ultimate cut' of the Batman vs SAuperman movie.

That Ultimate Cut is still not great, but at least turns a wildly uneven and pretty lacklustre movie into one that is over-long, but at least makes narrative sense (for the most part.)

I have never seen the Joss Whedon one though, so have no context for how much 'better / worse' it was.

If I'd never seen these movies, I woud've probably had a relatively good time watching Man of Steel - BvS Ultimate Cut - ZSJL (you could call it the "Snyderverse route" or whatever). But having seen them once and being mostly disappointed, I don't care enough to return.

18 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Personally, I think Wonder Woman is the high point (not only of the DCU, but eclipsing most if not all of the MCU too), but the rest are kind of all over the place (with Suicide Squad being truly one of the worst movies I think I've seen in quite some time).

For me personally, Wonder Woman is slightly behind Man of Steel. 

I liked both Gal Gadot and Chris Pine, I liked the "fish out of water" story, I liked the movie's message about unconditional love for people. But what brings the score down for me is a weak villain and the obsession with slo-mo. I swear, even Snyder movies had less slo-mo in them. I think some action scenes would've looked better without it.

Edited by Slava
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Slava said:

I liked both Gal Gadot and Chris Pine, I liked the "fish out of water" story, I liked the movie's message about unconditional love for people. But what brings the score down for me is a weak villain and the obsession with slo-mo. I swear, even Snyder movies had less slo-mo in them. I think some action scenes would've looked better without it.

God - you're not wrong about the Slow Mo - if Snyder didn't use it, the Snyder Cut would probably be the length of a regular movie - and 300 would be shorter than most commercials ?

For me, Wonder Woman is really elevated by the setting, and I love the musical score - I find most of the music in the DCU movies pretty middling, but I love that WW theme, and always get a kick out of it whenever it kick up when she joins a fight!

• Like 3

@Slava Completely agree with your tier list ?

WW1984 isn't terrible nor great, but you ain't missing much if you don't watch it.

The Snyder Cut is a vastly different - and substantially better - movie from the Josstice League. Worth watching if you're curious about it.

I'm hyped up to watch James Gunn's The Suicide Squad, and see what he does without having Disney holding him back. Hope he doesn't disappoint.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, LastMinuteSavior said:

WW1984 isn't terrible nor great, but you ain't missing much if you don't watch it.

totally agree - it seems to be trying to do a sort of homage to the Lynda Carter TV show, which is a kinda cool idea, but it misses the mark a bit, as the TV show was campy by accident - so being campy on purpose doesn't feel quite right.

It's still fun (Kristen Wiig is as great as she always is) but overall it pales in comparison to the first one.

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 18/03/2018 at 9:29 PM, Yukizm69 said:

Just noticed that I haven't posted anything on here regarding Wonder Woman and Justice League so here it goes.

Regarding WW, I watched the movie on Blu-Ray as I had missed my chance watching it at the cinema, which was a bummer as the movie was really good.

After watching it twice on Blu-Ray it's definitely one of the DCEU's best movies to date. 

Themyscira was very well captured and really enjoyed how the amazon's were portrayed.

The battle scenes were also amazing to watch and the cinematography in the beach battle and No Man's Land were especially beautiful.

The soundtrack was also really good and Gregson-Williams did an excellent job.

Story pacing was also good.

Last but not least Gal Gadot did a perfect job capturing early Wonder Woman and captured her representation well enough.

The only negative I can think of is the ending dragged on quite a bit, which isn't really a big deal. I would definitely rate WW my second favorite DCEU movie, BvS still being first.

As for Justice League, I'm heavily mixed on the movie.

Starting with the positive, most of the league members were captured well enough (Wonder Woman, Superman, Cyborg and the unique take on Aquaman).

Story-wise it was good enough with a pretty okay villain, aside from some corny and useless scenes (Flash on top of WW, Martha accidentally calling Lois thirsty, the Russian family sub-plot which led to nowhere. Ugh)

Now the negatives outweigh the positives here.

For starters to get it out of the way, JL was clearly NOT a Zack Snyder movie. This was a Joss Whedon movie with some of Snyder's sprinkles here and there.

For one, Snyder would have never put half-assed, lame, out of place jokes in the movie for sure. Whilst there wasn't a huge amount, the corny jokes should have never found their way into the movie.

One of my major issues I have for this movie is the amount of unnecessary re-shots. The scenes from the first and second trailers were perfect enough to keep viewers in awe but the movie we got to watch turned out into an over-saturated garbage. Snyder would have never let his movie have those visuals for sure.

Also whats the deal on trying to change this Batman's character? The Batman in BvS was a brooding, pissed off bad-ass. In JL suddenly he's this throwing useless quotes such as ''Oh something is definitely bleeding'' or ''I do not not hate you''. I hope people understand what I'm meaning here.

Another issue I have with this movie is The Flash. This Flash is honestly a bloody idiot and it's all thanks to the movie's re-shots to make him funny. Whilst I have no problem with Flash being the light-hearted member of the team, this Barry Allen built his own suit, already knows about the speed force, currently studying forensics and even got his chance to join the CCPD by the end of the movie. This Barry Allen is also the same one that doesn't know which way is left or right and also doesn't know which way to face to head towards the pacific ocean. I thought this guy was suppose to be highly intelligent to say the least. 

Also and I'm pretty sure everyone has heard this a thousand times already which is Superman's opening CGI on his face. I'm pretty sure a High-school student with basic knowledge in video editing could do a better job than the person that actually did in the movie, which funny enough someone did do a better job with a basic video-editing program on twitter.

My last major issue with this movie is the soundtrack. My god to even think that this movie initially had Junkie XL composing the soundtrack and ended up with Denny Elfman recycling horribly edited tracks from his older works. Seriously this movie's soundtrack has BTAS and Avangers all over it, which wouldn't be too bad with BTAS if it wasn't so out of place. The only track that I really liked was The Flash's theme which is pretty much Elfman's copied version of the CW's theme.

I really want to love this movie more, but I just can't all that much. I love the DCEU's characters a lot, but WB pulling sh!t like this just pisses me off. The movie had such a great potential, just watching this movie's deleted scene shows how much better the movie would have been (Superman's Black suit, Barry saving Iris West, freaking Darkseid along with an expanded Knightmare sequence). How these scenes are less relevant than the Russian family sub-plot is beyond me. Just as DCEU fans started getting used to and enjoying the universe's dark tone, WB decided to go ahead and copy Marvel's style with JL, throwing in useless humorless jokes with over-saturated visuals. I would still rank this movie above Suicide Squad just because it's the very first Justice League movie which isn't animated and I love the characters dearly. I just hope WB gets their sh!t together with their future movies and give their respective directors a fair amount of freedom when directing future films.

This post has really aged well! ?

It's still incredible though that we actually got the Justice League movie that we were suppose to get years ago and the fact that we got to see Martian Manhunter and Darkseid in an actual DC movie is pretty dope! Not to mention the Knightmare scene, that Batman and Joker conversation was awesome! Shame this movie supposedly ain't canon and all these neat bits ain't going anywhere in the future and goes to show how the Arrowverse is still the best way to enjoy live-action DC content, especially after Crisis on Infinite Earths.

As for the rest of the DC movies that came out after Justice League, I honestly thought Shazam and Birds of Prey were pretty average. Shazam's portrayal and Zachary Levi's performance was great but other then that a pretty average hero movie. As for Births of Prey, I enjoyed the action scene's and Black Mask was pretty cool, though Huntress and Black Canary should have had more time to shine. As for Wonder Woman 1984, I haven't seen it yet.

Anyone else watched The Suicide Squad? Out of the three movies mentioned above, the squad's sequel is definitely one of the best. I really enjoyed the risks Gunn took in his script, although a certain character's early death really did piss me off. Also Starro was surprisingly good for what the villain is.

Even though the DCCU's future ain't looking too bright in my opinion, I'm pretty excited for the Flash movie. Keaton's Batman return, Batfleck and Supergirl got me really excited, but to be honest I'd rather stick with DCTV especially Titans and the way it's been killing it these past two seasons.