We Read

Sorry for being MIA for a bit; I've been on a mini-vacation and then proceeded to drown in catch up work yesterday.

Those who have requested to be added have been added.

Remember, everyone, if you don't want to purchase the book you can always try your local library.

Edit: I finished reading The Martian last week and it's a fabulous book.

The Martian is a fantastic book. It was much funnier than I had anticipated and encourage others who are interested in the book to pick it up... even if you have to get this cheap pulp copy:

themartian-146017.png

Matt Daaaaaaamooooonnnnn

Now I need to decide if I'm gonna read through the copy I have with all the notes in the margins from passing the book around to friends or listen to Wil Wheaton read it. It's one of my favorite audiobooks.

I had no clue that Wesley narrated the audio-book! I kinda regret purchasing the physical book now. That would have been a fun listen.

I actually have this and Armada and finally finished the maze runner series so count me in. I will be listening to the audio book version as I'm a delivery driver so I do nothing but listen to audio books while I'm on the road. Home time = video game time.

Sometimes video game time = grind time = audio book time. It's my favorite time to listen to them, but I totally get what you mean with delivery. I drove 3 years and you can only listen to your music or the radio so much before silence seems better.

• Like 1

May I make a suggestion. I know this isn't a book series connected to video games, but it's very fun and entertaining, at least for me, and it's low-brow. Cat-haters need not apply...

Lilian-Jackson-Braun-Jim-Qwilleran-Felin

This is series of delightful mystery stories involving a middle-aged journalist and two Siamese cats he ends up adoptiing, one of them having extraordinary powers of perception. I won't say any more if you people don't want to, but I suggest everyone on this thread at least check it out at your local library. I am a big fan of mystery novels when I'm not popping plats, and the books are a great way to pass the time when I can't play video games(like, for example, having to walk to my local Gamestop or having to do some exercise - I'm pushing 300 pounds and was promised a big reward if I lost 25.)

• Like 1

I've updated the list to include others who wanted to join since my last post. Tomorrow night (aka when I steal my boyfriend's copy) I will do a roll call and lay out our reading schedule.

If you'd like to join us please let me know soon. We will start reading next week.

*snip*

Great suggestion! I have a Siamese too so I'm quite partial to this idea. I will include this on the proposed book list for us to read next. I intend to take a vote and let the forum decide. Also, kudos to taking care of yourself. I have about 50 lbs I need to drop too to return to my ideal weight. I know we can both succeed!

I've updated the list to include others who wanted to join since my last post. Tomorrow night (aka when I steal my boyfriend's copy) I will do a roll call and lay out our reading schedule.

If you'd like to join us please let me know soon. We will start reading next week.

Great suggestion! I have a Siamese too so I'm quite partial to this idea. I will include this on the proposed book list for us to read next. I intend to take a vote and let the forum decide. Also, kudos to taking care of yourself. I have about 50 lbs I need to drop too to return to my ideal weight. I know we can both succeed!

Do you take suggestions for future readings? I may have a couple... Totally not a huge list or anything :ninja:

Do you take suggestions for future readings? I may have a couple... Totally not a huge list or anything :ninja:

I will ask everyone for suggestions as we approach the end to Ready, Player One. I look forward to everyone's input!

Can I join in? I just got the book from Amazon and forgot to post it. I'm going away for Christmas, so I hope I don't forget it!

Yes, ma'am!

Howdy, folks.

RoyalRedPanda and I were planning to read Ready, Player One together and I figured why not extend that invitation to the whole community? If the PSNP Bookclub thing works out we can jointly decide what to read next. I suggest we do DrBloodmoney's book afterwords but we can take a vote.

However for the inaugural venture the first title will remain Ready, Player One by Ernest Cline. Here's a blurb about the novel:

51bE6SBNroL._SX318_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

"Ready Player One takes place in the not-so-distant future--the world has turned into a very bleak place, but luckily there is OASIS, a virtual reality world that is a vast online utopia. People can plug into OASIS to play, go to school, earn money, and even meet other people (or at least they can meet their avatars), and for protagonist Wade Watts it certainly beats passing the time in his grim, poverty-stricken real life. Along with millions of other world-wide citizens, Wade dreams of finding three keys left behind by James Halliday, the now-deceased creator of OASIS and the richest man to have ever lived. The keys are rumored to be hidden inside OASIS, and whoever finds them will inherit Halliday’s fortune. But Halliday has not made it easy. And there are real dangers in this virtual world. Stuffed to the gills with action, puzzles, nerdy romance, and 80s nostalgia, this high energy cyber-quest will make geeks everywhere feel like they were separated at birth from author Ernest Cline."

http://www.amazon.com/Ready-Player-One-Ernest-Cline/dp/0307887448/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1449241434&sr=8-1&keywords=ready%2C+player+one

We are going to get started the Monday after Christmas and read a predetermined amount of chapters a week to foster discussion. I will provide more details as the time draws closer. Please reply if you are interested.

Confirmed Participants:

Bucknerd

RoyalRedPanda

StrickenBiged

AndyLish79

KayoAye117

Ruliya

Kittyxiii

Hemiak

Scratchy172

ExHaseo

Fozzyabear

Edunstar84

Maphantom238 (on their other account?)

Madbuk - Maybe

Lilly Satou - Pending an entirely legal procurement of the novel

and Dragon-Archon's spirit

I like the idea of a "book club"!

• Like 2

Just got this book, it's in front of me as I type this ^_^

Chapters seem pretty long, from a quick glance through the pages, but a week should be enough to read 8 of them.

Edit: I may have to postpone reading this book just a slight bit, as I'm currently in the middle of reading Tomb Raider: The Ten Thousand Immortals, but that shouldn't take me too long to finish as I'm over half way. (It's an interesting book. Poorly written imo - character POVs switch mid-paragraph O_O - but the plot and the mystery is enough to keep me reading.)

Edited by madbuk

Hey guys, I'd like to propose a different schedule. Since I've read this before, I know where there are lulls in the story that are well suited to breaking for discussion. I've chosen to break the chapters into four chunks, which I think are natural breaks in the story action. However, I don't want to take reading time away from anyone, so I'm also suggesting that the first two weeks are used for the first 12 chapters since it's the longest section. My proposal is this: 

Right meow to January 11th - Read Ch 0000 to Ch 0011 - Discussion starts January 11th

January 12th to January 18th - Read Ch 0012 to Ch 0019 - Discussion starts January 18th

January 19th to January 25th - Read Ch 0020 to Ch 0031 - Discussion starts January 25th

January 26th to February 1st - Read Ch 0032 to Ch 0039 - Discussion starts February 1st

I haven't really done any kind of group read before, but I really believe that these slower parts are the best time to break and discuss in this book. Again, this is just a suggestion and really I'm just excited to revisit this book. Let me know what you guys think, until then I'll assume we're sticking with the schedule Bucknerd posted.

• Like 1