Star Wars: The Force Awakens Reviews Thread

Oberlin_94

Star-Wars-the-Force-Awakens-banner.jpg

STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS - REVIEWS THREAD

It's official; Star Wars: The Force Awakens is on the horizon, fans have waited years for the latest entry in the franchise and to see if J.J Abrams would be able to make a film that could capture the feel and magic of the original in the modern day

Check out this thread to see how the films doing reviews-wise, discuss your opinions and generally just to fanboy

I'll be updating throughout the week/weekend with the latest reviews

CURRENT STANDING; 100% over on RottenTomatoes with 37 reviews, looks set to pull a Mad Max. 

First Review is Live;

"Yes, it helps that the core group of original actors has returned, but it's more the energy, humor and simplicity of direction that has been recaptured. It's the overall vibe." - Tom Long, Detroit News; http://www.detroitnews.com/story/entertainment/movies/2015/12/16/tom-long-star-wars-review-force-awakens/77395392/

Edited by Oberlin_94

EDIT-WARNING: The spoiler contains an over-analyzed hypothesis from a buddy, based off the preceding Star Wars Episodes and the available trailers for the upcoming installment. The choice is yours if you believe the information below is "Fact" or "Opinion".

• Luke had a school for Jedi and they were all killed by his first student, his nephew Kylo. In the trailer when Han says, 'It's true, all of it.' He is talking about the way his son murdered all the students and has the force.
  • Luke feels like a failure and is now a hermit.
  • Rey is not related to anyone and has force powers
  • Kylo and the Knights of Ren are obsessed with Skywalker stuff, hence wanting the lightsaber that is being brought to Luke by Rey and Finn
  • Knights of Ren have more than one person who can use the force, kind of like a Dark Side Jedi Order
  • Finn dies trying to protect Rey from Kylo. That is who she is crying over in the trailer.
  • Millennium Falcon gets destroyed as they attack the Starkiller base (First Order base)
  • Rey becomes Luke's student due to them needing to save the galaxy from the Knights of Ren and the First Order which has joined forces
  • Rey is now a Jedi Disney Princess

Now we can all sing Ring Around the Rosie as we twirl with plugs up our butts. ;)

Edited by Tamer

My friend said this...

• Luke had a school for Jedi and they were all killed by his first student, his nephew Kylo. In the trailer when Han says, 'It's true, all of it.' He is talking about the way his son murdered all the students and has the force.
  • Kylo and the Knights of Ren are obsessed with Skywalker stuff, hence wanting the lightsaber that is being brought to Luke by Rey and Finn
  • Knights of Ren have more than one person who can use the force, kind of like a Dark Side Jedi Order
  • Finn dies trying to protect Rey from Kylo. That is who she is crying over in the trailer.
  • Millennium Falcon gets destroyed as they attack the Starkiller base (First Order base)
  • Rey becomes Luke's student due to them needing to save the galaxy from the Knights of Ren and the First Order which has joined forces

Why would you actually post stuff like that?

Could you be anymore of a jack-ass

I don't care if you put spoiler tags, most will read that thinking it's a review of the film, not spoilers for the entire thing

Reported.

My friend said this...

Thanks for putting it in a spoiler but damn.. Just got some things a little spoiled, not to bad I guess as I didn't read the full thing, you should write 'spoilers for the entire movie'
  • Like 1

I don't care if you put spoiler tags, most will read that thinking it's a review of the film, not spoilers for the entire thing

Reported.

This world is interesting; spoiler tags: upset - no spoiler tags: upset

You chose to read, and my friend hasn't even watched the movie. This was just his analysis from the trailer, as well as from previous installments.

Also, if you click on a tab that says spoilers, chances are there will be *dun dun dun* spoilers...

Edited by Tamer
  • Like 1

This world is interesting; spoiler tags: upset - no spoiler tags: upset

You chose to read, and my friend hasn't even watched the movie. This was just his analysis from the trailer, as well as from previous installments.

Also, if you click on a tab that says spoilers, chances are there will be *dun dun dun* spoilers...

You still don't do that, also you posted as if the spoilers were actual fact

Don't do that, makes you look a bit of a dick, js

Reported.

It literally says SPOILER on the tab, you can't get mad at him at that, I saw the words Spoiler and I knew it would be about the movie, I didn't see the movie yet but I read it anyways because I was curious but I am not angry because I chose to do it. Also you're abusing your reporting powers if you are going to report him because of that, The reporting function is for Spam, Hatefull messages (Racism, Sexism and Violence) and Disgusting Images.

My friend said this...

You should say that "Warning it is spoilers from the movie" because sadly not everyone understands what spoiler means

Edited by TheVader66

You still don't do that, also you posted as if the spoilers were actual fact

Don't do that, makes you look a bit of a dick, js

You're brain assumed what was posted was fact. The post wasn't "Fact by omission of the written expression of opinion"

It literally says SPOILER on the tab, you can't get mad at him at that, I saw the words Spoiler and I knew it would be about the movie, I didn't see the movie yet but I read it anyways because I was curious but I am not angry because I chose to do it. Also you're abusing your reporting powers if you are going to report him because of that, The reporting function is for Spam, Hatefull messages (Racism, Sexism and Violence) and Disgusting Images.

You should say that "Warning it is spoilers from the movie" because sadly not everyone understands what spoiler means

The post is on a thread about the movie. With the spoiler tab, anyone clicking to read should understand the possibility of spoilers. Again, this was just an over-analyzed statement my buddy made about the trailer and preceding Episodes -- i found his analysis amusing and intuitive, rather than assuming all the information was true. Regardless of any possible spoilers, the reader decides whether to believe or not. Everything analyzed could be true or false; even half and half.

Edited by Tamer

You're brain assumed what was posted was fact. The post wasn't "Fact by omission of the written expression of opinion"

The post is on a thread about the movie. With the spoiler tab, anyone clicking to read should understand the possibility of spoilers. Again, this was just an over-analyzed statement my buddy made about the trailer and preceding Episodes -- i found his analysis amusing and intuitive, rather than assuming all the information was true. Regardless of any possible spoilers, the reader decides whether to believe or not. Everything analyzed could be true or false; even half and half.

I am alright with it, if it is true or false, it's because I have mentality that makes it impossible for a spoiler to ruin my experience because even if I know what happens in the plot, I always want to see how it plays it out. It could be because I am a History Major and l have to read and learn stuff that I already know the ending for since I live in its aftermath: Like how did the Allied Forces beat the Axis Power or how did the United States, Europe and Japan outlived the Soviet Union and the Warsaw Pact in the Cold War.

Edited by TheVader66

I am alright with it, if it is true or false, it's because I have mentality that makes it impossible for a spoiler to ruin my experience because even if I know what happens in the plot, I always want to see how it plays it out. It could be because I am a History Major and l have to read and learn stuff that I already know the ending for since I live in its aftermath: Like how did the Allied Forces beat the Axis Power or how did the United States, Europe and Japan outlived the Soviet Union and the Warsaw Pact in the Cold War.

They do exist!

dmSAjK1.gif

26.gif?w=600

Edited by Tamer
  • Like 1

Well, this went off topic really fast.

Also, TC are you aware of the "Media Room" sub-forum? This should probably have been posted there. Maybe a mod will move it for you later.

Seems to have turned into a dick measuring contest :') And I wasn't aware, hopefully a mod will move it :)

I'll be posting updated reviews as I go

• Like 1

Its not his responsibility to look out for people too stupid to understand what it means.

He took reasonable steps to 'protect' people from the terrible scourge of hearing plot points for a predictable movie blockbuster that they will, im sure, spend tiercash to go and see regardless of what the plot is or isn't.

On topic -It is futile for this movie to be reviewed.

Critics who do so are simply wasting column inches. The people who are rabidly awaiting this next episode in this franchise dont care what the reviews say, hey will see it regardless, and the people who dont care about the previous six of them wont bother - they have made their minds up by tis point anyway.

Any critic reviewing this movie is wasting their time. They wont change any minds.

• Like 1

Its not his responsibility to look out for people too stupid to understand what it means.

He took reasonable steps to 'protect' people from the terrible scourge of hearing plot points for a predictable movie blockbuster that they will, im sure, spend tiercash to go and see regardless of what the plot is or isn't.

On topic -It is futile for this movie to be reviewed.

Critics who do so are simply wasting column inches. The people who are rabidly awaiting this next episode in this franchise dont care what the reviews say, hey will see it regardless, and the people who dont care about the previous six of them wont bother - they have made their minds up by tis point anyway.

Any critic reviewing this movie is wasting their time. They wont change any minds.

Why are you going after me, I defended him. It was Oberlin who got angry at him. As I stated to Oberlin:

"It literally says SPOILER on the tab, you can't get mad at him at that, I saw the words Spoiler and I knew it would be about the movie, I didn't see the movie yet but I read it anyways because I was curious but I am not angry because I chose to do it. Also you're abusing your reporting powers if you are going to report him because of that, The reporting function is for Spam, Hatefull messages (Racism, Sexism and Violence) and Disgusting Images."

I only said "Warning it is spoilers from the movie" because as you said because "people are too stupid to understand what it means". I hate that we live a society that is sensetive to spoilers, I for one am immune to spoilers since even if I know what will happen, I still want to see how it plays out.

• Like 1

Why are you going after me, I defended him. It was Oberlin who got angry at him. As I stated to Oberlin:

"It literally says SPOILER on the tab, you can't get mad at him at that, I saw the words Spoiler and I knew it would be about the movie, I didn't see the movie yet but I read it anyways because I was curious but I am not angry because I chose to do it. Also you're abusing your reporting powers if you are going to report him because of that, The reporting function is for Spam, Hatefull messages (Racism, Sexism and Violence) and Disgusting Images."

I only said "Warning it is spoilers from the movie" because as you said because "people are too stupid to understand what it means". I hate that we live a society that is sensetive to spoilers, I for one am immune to spoilers since even if I know what will happen, I still want to see how it plays out.

Sorry - i wasnt going after you - i just quoted you because that was the relevant point I was adding to

Sorry - i wasnt going after you - i just quoted you because that was the relevant point I was adding to

Either way, at least we agree that it isn't his job to do it, which is why I said should and not must, because I know what spoiler he was talking about and to be honest, I am actually more excited to see the movie now that I know what happens because I want to see why it happened like it did.

Either way, at least we agree that it isn't his job to do it, which is why I said should and not must, because I know what spoiler he was talking about and to be honest, I am actually more excited to see the movie now that I know what happens because I want to see why it happened like it did.

Yeah - exactly - we're basically on the same page on this one. (I personally think that if a person gets hung up about having some movie or tv show 'spoiled' they really need to have a long, hard bath with themselves and think how lucky they are that that is their biggest problem!)

In the end i have no horse in this race - as a father of an eighteen month old son, i spend half my free time watching kids movies - so when I do (occasionally!) get to see a movie without the little man there, i want to make sure its one for grown-ups.

I imagine i will eventually see it though - seems inevitable that eventually he will discover the franchise and want to see all of them!

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 2

Yeah - exactly - we're basically on the same page on this one. (I personally think that if a person gets hung up about having some movie or tv show 'spoiled' they really need to have a long, hard bath with themselves and think how lucky they are that that is their biggest problem!)

In the end i have no horse in this race - as a father of an eighteen month old son, i spend half my free time watching kids movies - so when I do (occasionally!) get to see a movie without the little man there, i want to make sure its one for grown-ups.

I imagine i will eventually see it though - seems inevitable that eventually he will discover the franchise and want to see all of them!

Even with that work, It still must feel nice being a father. I wish you and your family health and happiness in life and also as I said to Tamer..........

May%20the%20force%20be%20with%20you_zpsq

• Like 2

I think it's better than the original and RotJ. It obviously blew the prequels out of the water but that was to be expected.

Here's 2 of the problems I found with it though that I sent to a friend and now am putting here.

There's a couple of bits I really remember annoying me though. Firstly, ignoring the obvious flaw in constantly building Death Stars that have giant weaknesses, why don't they have tractor beams anymore? They did in the fucking first one. Ben turned them off, he didn't destroy them either, in the first one they should have just pulled all the Rebel ships in and killed the lot. Same goes here, you've got a giant fucking PLANET of a weapon, and you don't have the ability to suck in a few Rebels? Hell, Han fucking did when he was just floating around on some ship he never mentions again, couldn't have been too important, and even then he says something along the lines of "if we could find this ship, you know those ♥s can" , thus implying they have way more fucking power and whatnot, but no fucking tractor beam? I call bullshit.

Secondly, so right at the start, Poe put the plans in BB8, and all that shit, so Kylo, obviously, orders his troops to blow up Poe's ship, because you know, the plans couldn't be in there or anything. I say plans, because that's what's usually going on in Star Wars and I can't be bothered going back, but I mean the map.

So i saw the movie today - pretty good, real throwback to "A New Hope". So much even, i would almost think i was watching a remake of it.

I have some things i'd like to write - but i'd just like to know first if this is a spoiler free thread? If it is, we really need a discussion thread :P

Edited by Zone Hunter

Using spoiler tags to be safe, but I tried to be vague enough not to spoil anything.

I really enjoyed the movie, although I do have some nitpicks.

The title sequence scroller felt really condescending, or written for an age group that can't read as fast as it was scrolling. I went through the title scrollers for the other six and only three of them had a phrase in all caps, and no more than one phrase. This one has three I think? And the syntax was dumbed down (but not the vocabulary).

This is a FEATURE FILM and we capitalize PHRASES because it makes them appear IMPORTANT.

And the very end, I feel the signature J J Abrams circle pan really weakened the otherwise emotional ending. With all the camera views and circles it just felt tedious when it was meant to leave you questioning the result of the choice presented. There is no point in panning back and forth between the two characters until the silence gets heavier and heavier and eventually develops into a black hole and sucks up the emotion you were going for.

Show the discovery, switch views to the offered item, switch views to the emotional struggle of deciding a response, roll credits. Don't pan back and forth several more times and then circle around so everyone can see that still nobody has moved. Just chop off that whole last minute.

Another note, it just felt wrong to me to watch someone who is not a Jedi or force sensitive fight with a lightsaber. Every more so when the other side of that fight WAS force sensitive. I don't mind seeing someone try to do it, that makes sense if you are desperate, as a lightsaber may be your best chance of survival and people backed into a corner will naturally try anything. I just felt the attempt was more successful than it should have been, or else it should have been clearer that the force sensitive was not really trying due to arrogance or whatever.

The tempee tantrums also felt out of place. Like a bad attempt at comic relief or something. It's like why I could not connect to Anakin SkyWalker, all over again. I cannot sympathize or empathize or understand someone who is trying to show their power and how awesome they are and then reacting like a petulant child who was told they can't have a third cookie if things don't go their way. This does not make a person fearsome or tragic or scary. It makes them an @$$.

Regarding the event everyone who has seen the movie is thinking about, I do not think it was as big a surprise to me as it was meant to be too watch. Once walking down that path, there was only one way to end that scene without it feeling "cheap." I am not a huge fan of the decision, but I understand it.

The girl in front of me in the theater had a nervous wreck over the whole thing, so I know many others have stronger feelings on the matter. (She was courteous enough to restrain herself from making an loud outbursts until after the credits started, but it was clear she had been an emotional wreck for a while before that. I felt bad for her.)

I do feel Disney kept enough to George Lucas' thoughts that Star Wars is a soap opera that tends to happen in space, and it's about family and generations. I don't think he would have played it out quite this way, but I think Disney did a very good job of it for the most part.

I am sad that the books are no longer canon. The movie clearly drew inspiration from some of them, but none of the books I read would fit into the new universe Disney has written for Episode 7.

I am okay with this, but still sad. Grand Admiral Thrawn would have been awesome in a movie.

• Like 1

I seen it just last night and i thought it was good and well put together. My father took me to see the very first one as a mere child back in 77' and those still have that epic touch for me. 

I think tho this one Episode 7 is much better then the Episode 1,2,and 3. I watched it and it give me that updated feel to it. A modern times Star Wars and im cool with that.. It pretty refreshing.