Deactivating a device because the person won't comply

Shakilrahman96

Wait what it's illegal to do that why?

Because like I said before, it robs the developers of potential revenue. It's exactly the same as stealing. It's stated in Sony's ToS that you are not to do this. If someone wants a game, they should have the funds to buy it themselves or borrow a a physical copy to play. Otherwise tough luck.

• Like 3

Because like I said before, it robs the developers of potential revenue. It's exactly the same as stealing. It's stated in Sony's ToS that you are not to do this. If someone wants a game, they should have the funds to buy it themselves or borrow a a physical copy to play. Otherwise tough luck.

Thanks for the heads up won't be doing that again haha, just heard from people before that it was ok because Sony presumes everyone does it at some point in time. Now I just have to wait a day or two to see if she lives up her promise, that would be a first lol.

• Like 1

Never knew it was illegal, that is strange seeing how for example, if a husband and wife lived under the same roof they're hardly going to be buying the same game twice, seems like a stupid rule if you ask me but I won't do it again. No doubt about it that if I wasn't quick changing my account email and password she would have fucked me up, if she can cheat and drop me like I'm nothing after 3 years sabotaging my PSN is child's play...

Just be careful in the future.

Giving account details to another person is one thing, but if the game is purchased on one system and both accounts are on it, the two people sharing the system would be able to play it on their individual accounts.

Thanks for the heads up won't be doing that again haha, just heard from people before that it was ok because Sony presumes everyone does it at some point in time. Now I just have to wait a day or two to see if she lives up her promise, that would be a first lol.

Here's a quote for future reference: Just because the majority does it, does not make it right.

Honestly, I wouldn't risk it and just use the online deactivation and then reactivate any consoles that you are using.  It's not worth the hurt and hassle in my opinion.

• Like 2

Uh didn't know that neat wonder what else is in that ToS probably broken quite abit of rules in it.

• Like 1

Not like im trying to get into a debate over the moral standings of gamesharing. But this isnt completely true atleast not from a logical standpoint. 

Say you and a friend go out and split the cost of a game or system or something. Obv you would be taking turns with it. Gamesharing can be done the exact same way. If i split a game on PSN with a buddy which people do and have done with retail copies of games for years. Is it wrong for us to share it? 

Again you can think whatever you want. If you don't like gamesharing you dont have to do it. I'm just saying if i helped pay for something because its not worth full price, sony can go fuck themselves. Theres a difference between being loyal and just throwing money away due to blind belief. 

• Like 1

Say you and a friend go out and split the cost of a game or system or something. Obv you would be taking turns with it. Gamesharing can be done the exact same way. If i split a game on PSN with a buddy which people do and have done with retail copies of games for years. Is it wrong for us to share it? 

Yes it is, because Sony have no way of knowing that your friend chipped in and will still permaban you.

They want you both to buy your own copy because money.

Also when you're physically lending a game, there is still only one copy, only one of you can play it at a time. If he downloads your game for free he would never buy it at a later date and suddenly there are two copies.

This is why a certain other company tried to prevent people sharing their physical games and Sony only scrapped the idea after witnessing the backlash.

Not like im trying to get into a debate over the moral standings of gamesharing. But this isnt completely true atleast not from a logical standpoint. 

Again you can think whatever you want. If you don't like gamesharing you dont have to do it. I'm just saying if i helped pay for something because its not worth full price, sony can go fuck themselves. Theres a difference between being loyal and just throwing money away due to blind belief. 

While I respect your opinion on this matter, it doesn't change the fact that Sony, as Maftet stated, has no idea of knowing if your friend pitched in on the cost of the game. They have to buy themselves a copy. There is no legal alternative around the matter. To Sony it is still stealing and that's the end of it. Buy the game, borrow it, rent it, or don't play it at all.

To clarify a point, if your "gamesharing" consists of other people in your household having access to the same PS3 or PS4 that you use and using your games from there on their account, that is not an issue. Heck, if your friend wants to do local co-op on your PS4 and so logs in on your device, that's not a problem. Most games allow this, with the exceptions of things like closed betas or account-bound dlc like in Elder Scrolls Online, and it is not against the rules.

The issue is when you log in your account on a device and leave it on that device when you don't control. In the example before, if your local co-op friend set your PS4 as primary for his account so you could play his games or use his PS+ subscription to play online when he is not there, that's not allowed.

My fiance plays my digital games on my PS3 and PS4 on his account when he is over at my place, and cannot access them when he is not visiting. THAT is permitted; the games don't leave my household.

Regarding the primary PS4 issue, unless she deactivates it on the console, the only way is to disable all accounts via online. I recently had to go through this, and Sony support just sends you that link if you call them. Apparently they didn't even put in a backdoor for themselves.

(Instead of repairing the PS4 I sent back for repair, they just replaced it). Reactivating all my devices was a lot easier than I thought it would be. The PS4 was the most complicated because I had to set it as primary. The others, I basically just synced my trophy list. You do have to give them permissions to access digital content and/or music if you use them that way.

• Like 2

You all need to actually do some research before you post nonsense.

It is Illegal to physically give out your PSN credentials.

E.g. you e-mail your user name and pass to someone. Or text, or write, or say over the phone.

However, If you have Physical access to said device....

It has 0 to due with developers making money or being "stolen from". It is a Security precaution.

• Like 1

You all need to actually do some research before you post nonsense.

It is Illegal to physically give out your PSN credentials.

E.g. you e-mail your user name and pass to someone. Or text, or write, or say over the phone.

However, If you have Physical access to said device....

It has 0 to due with developers making money or being "stolen from". It is a Security precaution.

That is was I originally heard of to be honest, I never heard of anyone or any problems coming from game sharing because most people do it and i did have access to the said-consoles until obviously, the break up lol. I just really dont see the reason at the time for me buying a game for lets say 8 euro, then  rebuying it on the console right down the road just to comply with silly T&Cs.

I honestly think there are worse things you can do than that with a PSN account that deserve permabans

To clarify a point, if your "gamesharing" consists of other people in your household having access to the same PS3 or PS4 that you use and using your games from there on their account, that is not an issue. Heck, if your friend wants to do local co-op on your PS4 and so logs in on your device, that's not a problem. Most games allow this, with the exceptions of things like closed betas or account-bound dlc like in Elder Scrolls Online, and it is not against the rules.

This the only exception to the rule as this guy says. It is almost the equivalent of buying an N64 and buying only one copy of a game. There isn't and shouldn't be any issue with this.

However, sharing your info outside your power can be the worst thing you can do, especially credit card info, etc.

Never trust your "significant other" with your personal info again. I can understand a wife/husband living on the same roof (with the exception of credit card info), but a girlfriend? nay.

Capiche?

(Instead of repairing the PS4 I sent back for repair, they just replaced it).

Sony always did this with me and I always loved it. For the same price of a repair, they give you a brand new console with no previous use whatsoever (which should allow you to enjoy it without any issues for a much longer time), possibly with the minor upgrades it received since you bought your original machine (less heating, power consumption and noise output).

Once, Sony Portugal actually did something I'm still astonished about. Remember the PSOne monitors? I got one back in the day (about 12 years ago) because I had no TV in my room and just wanted to play my PS1 games in peace in my room. After a while, the screen started going on the fritz, so I called Sony tech support to ask if they could repair it, but they said they didn't repair that specific equipment. I was kinda bummed out about it, but about 6 months later, they just called me out of nowhere to ask me if I wanted a brand new monitor completely free of charge. I obviously said yes, so they traveled 700 km from their warehouse in Madrid to Lisbon just to give it to me. The next day, they arrived, took my old fritzy monitor and just gave me the brand new one. I still have it and as far as I know, it still works (haven't used it in quite a while). They were probably going to throw all of their stock away and remembered that it would be kind of a waste since I wanted my old one repaired, but still, I dare you to find such selfless customer service anywhere.

• Like 1

Sony always did this with me and I always loved it. For the same price of a repair, they give you a brand new console with no previous use whatsoever (which should allow you to enjoy it without any issues for a much longer time), possibly with the minor upgrades it received since you bought your original machine (less heating, power consumption and noise output).

I would have been a lot happier about it if the one going in for repair had not been brand new. The issue started on day 3 of me owning it, so it's going to take some time for me to trust that the new one doesn't have a crippling manufacturing defect as well.

It probably works just fine. It's survived three times as long as the other one did so far. Here's hoping it lasts a second week. It just needs to earn my confidence before I start spending any real time with it, and stop manually backing up my saves after each game. :P

Edited by SolarCat02
  • Like 1

This is why you don't give your account information to ANYBODY, no matter who they are or how much you trust them. Fuck their feelings on the matter, there's a reason Sony tells people not do this, and this situation is exactly why. I hope you learned your lesson from this little incident. You're lucky she didn't royally fuck you over.

Don't do this in the future and you won't have this issue. Also, just a side note: what you did is illegal and Sony could permaban you for doing it. Giving your information to another person so they can access free content is against the law and robs the developers of money they could have gained.

Actually it is not illegal. there are no LEGAL rules aginst it. There are a note aginst it in a EULA/TOS neither is law or legaly tested /legaly binding. Ofcourse, that do not prevent SCEE to ban a account that they think are gamesharing... but not something that the police can arrest you for, or be put on trial for.