Am I the only one....?

ok so I got this game super cheap and decided to try it, I played maybe 2-3 hours, made a rogue, Im at the ogre boss.

I really dunno what to think, the game seems.. boring as fuck, all I do is hold X and kill stuff and tank stuff, ran around in circles from the ogre boss and had the mage carry me.

trophy guide seems complicated as fuck and doesnt seem to explain when and what decisions they are talking about which need reloading. and its a 120 + hour game I mean, does it get good ? cus I never disliked any game I played my entire life, but this game seems... just bad.can anyone change my pov ?

You're not wrong, DA:O is a boring game to play, about 90% of the fights in this game are just like that ogre fight.

Unless you can get into the story the game won't get much better for you.

I'm sorry if my guide seems unclear, I tried to be as specific as I could about the reload spots.

Most of the decisions are dialogue choices, in each quest a NPC characters will more or less ask you which trophy you want.

As long as you have a save right before they ask you can just reload. 

Edited by soultaker655

DA:O - Was a bad PS3 port. It suffered in the visual and combat department. But the story was fantastic. Even better with the DLC. To get the best enjoyment out of DA:O on the PS3, put it on easy and enjoy the storyline.

DA 2 - Had a better combat system and visuals. But it suffered in the story department for alot of people. I really enjoyed this game, but it is by no means the strongest in the series

DA:I - Is better in every single way and so far, for me the strongest in the series.

ok well i gave it another try and played today, I feel like im progressing really slow, im 10 hours in and im at the wherewolf place, i still like i havnt done much lol, I actually died alot so I changed to casual -.- i dunno if im doing something wrong here

Slow progression is pretty much part of Origns, it is a slow boiling RPG that pulls from some very old school roots. Don't worry about the speed you are going, focus on the storyline and enjoy all of the lore text that you pick up. Play it as if you were reading through a really good book with interactive bits:)

Edited by Captain_Cutscene

i was encouraged to keep continuing with all the replies, I think i really just didnt like the intro to the game, after that it gets better and im liking the game right now. Im, to anyone who reads this, dont judge the game too early like i did, just keep playing ^_^

Im at the dead trenches and so far I got the trophy for morrigan, and i was able to raise leliana slowly but surely to 91-92, and zevran to about 80 just by talking to them, but now im in the dead trenches and i decided to talk to lelianna, and I could say NOTHING to make her feel good because she was talking about my relationship with morrigan, I got a -4 disaprooval.

Did I mess something up ? Will I be able to do her trophy in this playthrough ?

I'm a big fan of Mass Effect, big (but lesser) fan of Dragon Age.

In contrary to most people, I prefer the second installment (still waiting a week, till I get to play Inquisition).

But like all games, you don't have to like them.

A game that combines choice, consequences and RPG elements is (often) a very big succes for me.

Im at the dead trenches and so far I got the trophy for morrigan, and i was able to raise leliana slowly but surely to 91-92, and zevran to about 80 just by talking to them, but now im in the dead trenches and i decided to talk to lelianna, and I could say NOTHING to make her feel good because she was talking about my relationship with morrigan, I got a -4 disaprooval.

Did I mess something up ? Will I be able to do her trophy in this playthrough ?

I'm not 100% on this but, I'm pretty sure after you get the romance trophy for a character you are locked in their romance for that playthrough. If you reload a save that's right before you got the trophy you should be able to start a romance with another character as long as you choose them doing their jealousy conversation.

i was encouraged to keep continuing with all the replies, I think i really just didnt like the intro to the game, after that it gets better and im liking the game right now. Im, to anyone who reads this, dont judge the game too early like i did, just keep playing ^_^

Glad to know that :P

I just ordered the ultimate editions few days ago, and then found this thread, where everyone seemed to be hating the game. Though after reading the whole thread, it seems I am going to like it, and I know what to expect with the combat and graphics now, so that won't be much of an issue.

I'm not 100% on this but, I'm pretty sure after you get the romance trophy for a character you are locked in their romance for that playthrough. If you reload a save that's right before you got the trophy you should be able to start a romance with another character as long as you choose them doing their jealousy conversation.

everything is fine, i caught up with other conversations, i was able to do zevran immediatly after, now just alistar left, hope traveler trophy goes well, woot, the guide on here is actually REALLY good btw

Does anyone know if Goldannas house, from alistair quest is needed ? im in denerim but i cant enter the house because i didnt do his quest yet, and his approval is quite low hope i didnt lock myself out of traveler

Just had the game freeze on me.. was traveling doing side quests, and on the world map I had an infinite loading screen, hope this doesnt happen again, the cd litterally just stopped spinning. didnt have auto save on, hope it wasnt my ps3, and just the disc itself, it is a used game. As i post this it happened again in haven.. I dunno what to do..

Edited by Lilth

• 1 month later...

I actually very much agree with scotty243, DA:O really isn't all that good. Combat isn't absolute garbage or terrible, but it's far from great, just passable. The graphics on PS3 looked awful, but I know it's a lot better on PC, so not really that valid of a complaint. The story was filled with tropes, but I don't know how cliche it was, it was just boring for the most part IMO. I liked parts of the "mountain" quest line though, and the dream one was decent too, but both could have been way better. The story was certainly filled with all gray choices. You could rarely do a good or bad decision. The chemistry between characters are harmed by trying to build a good party, and you often want to avoid using certain characters when you make certain decisions, as if they wouldn't know your choice because they weren't in your battle party. Oh, and the bugs and glitches... so many... There's probably more glitches than there are quests in this game. There's about a glitch involved in almost every quest and then there's other glitches, even some stat related ones which makes the Rogue terrible. I had trophy glitches, where I had to play offline for them to unlock. Oh, and so many DLCs, and so forced up in your face in the game. They give away the game for very cheap now, but the DLCs are still at release price. The expansion pack costs several times more than the actual game in the PSN store. Several DLCs at release, containing things like a party chest that was planned to be included in the game, but they didn't because it was glitchy, but so it still is in the DLC. So many things that annoy me about this game.

• 3 weeks later...

You just have to catch the DLC's on sale. I bought them on the NA EA sale, all DA:O and DA2 DLC's for roughly $30. This was without buying awakening since I already had it on disc. Put the game on easy and just enjoy the story. It's really not a bad game, I have had this game on my backlog since before I even got into trophies, but it will be finished within a week. Not looking forward to DA2 though, the story was the only thing that got me through origins.

• 2 weeks later...

Really at this point your best bet is to get the Ultimate Edition, which you can find super cheap ($20-$25 for over 100 hours of gameplay) and includes all DLC and the expansion.  There is no reason to buy the base game and then individual DLC any longer - even if you already have the base game the Ultimate will be cheaper than buying all individual DLC.

I think the real issue with DA:O is that it was meant to be a PC game and it didn't port well to console.  Everything about it was designed for keyboard and mouse, and it's just not optimized for a controller, ESPECIALLY the combat, blech!  I loved this game on my PC when it first came out, and like many others, found it a slog on PS3.  In the PC version you would constantly pause and issue commands, especially on Nightmare (which on PC had a trophy for finishing the whole game on Nightmare), and even on Normal you would pause and queue commands on most boss fights.  On PS3 this just isn't feasible, and you're stuck trying to do your best with tactics.  It's easiest if you just command the healer/cc mage (whoever that is in your party) and set up tactics for everyone else.

The game was designed to be a throwback to Baldur's Gate style of "pause and play" combat and it just isn't a good fit for "action RPG" - that's the main reason it changed up so much in DA2 - that one was designed for console and has the opposite issue of not working well on PC.  Personally, I love DA2 because of the more action focused combat, and I also like a lot of the companions better in DA2.   

• 2 months later...

I totally agree with OP. I expected so much more from the game but it was so generic and boring at times. At first I liked it because of the upcoming war but they failed to tell that story in a good way. I also never liked the fighting, even though I know it's supposed to be good on pc. The only upside was the interaction between the characters.

This game is actually responsible for me not to start the mass effect series, since it's bioware again. Dragon age is on every top ten list of best rpgs but was such a huge dissapointment for me

I only got the DLC's when they popped on the Bioware Sale. Even then I enjoyed only the Awakening Expansion out of all other DLC's, with the exception of Witch Hunt if I was using my Morrigan Romance character. But, I just wanted another 100% and enjoy some nostalgia moments before going on to play Dragon Age: Inquisition.

• 4 months later...

I hated playing Origins..I love the story, but so so boring to play...the gameplay wasnt at all appealing... took me 3 years to got Platinum cause i couldn't stand repeating most part of the game... i played it on Ps3...i think in PC is better (so i've eard) ... I really really dunno why some people say its better then Dragon Age II...

Edited by Alvaro-M27

Utterly disagree, not only was the story intense, it had a real rpg development tree that you had to invest time and thought into, and sadly that was dumbed down for the mass market in DA:O 2...

A game with depth that could draw you in, to a point graphics don't matter...

• Like 1