An Epic Quest for Anyone: Let's Play Rocksmith (either)

Hemiak

Sign me up if you're still taking names.

Anyone can join at any time, :)

Had another good night's practice.  Started off on Ducks, and the damn game was having trouble reading that I was on the correct fret again... wtf.  I went from almost 2 million points to struggling to hit 5k, need to get this figured out.  Tried scale runner, same thing.  Was getting around 600k maximum.

Decided to try a new game, Harmonically Challenged.  After about half an hour I got to a million points and I'm done with that stupid ass game.  Can I play harmonics?  yes, can I remember 15 notes in a row without writing them down?  no.  I can play them in an increasingly shorter period once they're written down, but the memorization is much harder than the actual technique it focuses on.  Whatever, that game is done.

I then practiced a song I hadn't qualified for and made some decent progress.  Decided to play the next gig since I had the house to myself.  Played all  5 songs and managed to increase at least a little on each one.  It threw an encore at me, Song 2 by Blur, which is supposed to be pretty manageable, but I haven't seen it yet.  Well, I racked up close to 80k on my first ever play, and obviously got over 90% accuracy, cause the game threw me my first double encore.  :dance:  Another trophy gained.  It also gives you a decent amount of RS points for doing that many songs in a row.  I'm almost halfway through rank 5 already.

Then I decided to work on some chords.  So I chose the chord arrangement for Boys Don't Cry by the Cure.  After 3 runs I was working through about 4 different chords.  Every 5th progression or so I'd need to pause and reset as I was starting to get really sloppy with the barre chord shifting, but I earned the trophy for 25 chords hit in a row.  :)  Still only about half the points I need to get the 100k in a chord arrangement.  Whatever, I'm making a ton of progress and that's what I'm here for.

Hope everybody else is doing well and having fun.

• Like 3

Hope everybody else is doing well and having fun.

Hey Hemiak! Can you update my stats? I have 14/48 trophies now.

Anyway, I played 2 days in a row, which hasn't happened since the beginning of January, and I feel really good about my progress. I earned 5 trophies today, 4 of them in one shat. I got them from getting a platinum on Blitzkrieg Bop (Ramones) on Score Attack Master. I also managed to earn over 17 million points on the Gone Wailin' arcade game. The next song I hope to work on until I master it is Stay in by Jaws.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Been slacking recently. Screwed around a little with my accoustic one day, and did about 30 min of practice two nights ago, butI really need to get back to regular sessions.

I worked on Vaseline in the riff repeater the other night. Got the verse to 100% mastery, already had the chorus done through regular play. Then worked on the solo. Got it up to about 75% after a couple runs. Decided to play ducks to practice not looking, then got a phone call and couldn't get back to the game.

Anybody else playing still.

Oh, and StrickenBiged mentioned it in his thread, but I figured I'd put it here too. RS2014 is on sale right now for $20 on the store. You'll still need to beg, borrow, or steal a tone cable, but it'll still save you some money.

• Like 2

You gonna get it? Just $20...

I probably won't right now. I've still got quite a bit to do on the first one so I don't really see the point at the moment. It seems to go on sale every 3-4 months and I'm content to wait for the next go round.

Plus, the original was a Christmas present from my wife, so buying the newer model would be I'll advised this close to the holiday.

I just know there were several people who posted that they would like to start and didn't have either game yet, so I figured I'd throw it out there.

Edited by Hemiak

I probably won't right now. I've still got quite a bit to do on the first one so I don't really see the point at the moment. It seems to go on sale every 3-4 months and I'm content to wait for the next go round.

Plus, the original was a Christmas present from my wife, so buying the newer model would be I'll advised this close to the holiday.

Oh really? It's never gone on sale here in the UK.

There's got to be a way you could spin it that your wife wouldn't get mad...

"Honey, I'm so glad that you supported my attempt to learn the guitar. The game you bought me has given me such a kick up the ass with practicing that I'm really starting to improve and enjoy it. The follow-up was on sale recently and I bought it, and I love playing my guitar now. Thank you for inspiring me like this. I <3 you."

etc. 

Oh really? It's never gone on sale here in the UK.

There's got to be a way you could spin it that your wife wouldn't get mad...

"Honey, I'm so glad that you supported my attempt to learn the guitar. The game you bought me has given me such a kick up the ass with practicing that I'm really starting to improve and enjoy it. The follow-up was on sale recently and I bought it, and I love playing my guitar now. Thank you for inspiring me like this. I <3 you."

etc.

lol,

Probably more like this.

"What? The one I got you wasn't good enough? Are you saying I'm not good enough? You want to trade me in for a newer model too? *Tears (probably fake) I need a new car..."

Disclaimer: The preceeding conversation was entirely made up and in no way represents the actual predicted behavior of my wife or any other person.

• Like 1

Got a good solid 1.5 hrs session last night. Tried out Breed by Nirvana, which I'd been avoiding since I don't much care for them, and my wife hates their music. Qualified, then played the next gig, got an encore. It gave me a brand new song and it was waaaaaaay too much way too soon. I got a decent score but felt like I was just flailing away the whole time.

Hit rank 6 and unlocked the next venue, where it offered me High and Dry by Radiohead, an awesome song by one of my favorite bands. Played it and did pretty good, so went into riff repeater for fun. Got all the sections but the solo maxed and it was sounding pretty good. Then played Go With the Flow because it'd been a while. Maxed the final phrase there and unlocked master mode for my 2nd song.

I like riff repeater for seeing just what the hell is going on, but I find its actually easier to finish leveling a song in practice or perform mode. I usually use the leveller or accelerator to get me to 85-90% mastery in each section, and then give it a full play to finish it off. For some reason I always seem to miss one or two notes/chords on the RR and get Try Again instead of congratulations. Also, the RR in 2014 looks far superior to the original. Too much menu navigating in the original.

Then I played Super Slider which is obviously a slide based guitarcade game. Then played some more scale Runner and ducks.

Edit: had a 2 hr lunch break with nobody home today do fired it up. Played a new song which was ok, then decided to get serious with High and Dry. Played the ehole thing foe a refresher, then i to RR mode. Got the interlude to 100% without too much trouble, then worked on the solo. I got it to the point where it'd running at 100% speed but just can't quite hit every single note in one sweep.

On a positive note, while walking out the door with sandwich in hand I realized why I was never getting credit for a chord during the riff. You go from hitting an A/G power chord and then it adds in the B&e strings, for some reason my demented brain was insisting I barre those two strings when I'm supposed to play them open. :facepalm: It honestly took me thinking theough the song in my head and not playing along to figure it out. With this incredibly obvious realization in hand I should be able to Master the song tonight. It'll still need quite a few more runs to get it fully memorized however, but I'm getting there.

Edited by Hemiak
  • Like 1

Siiince I'm going to be doing this for a while..

Hi.

I have the original Rocksmith.  I'll fork out for 2014 when I've convinced myself this isn't something I'm going to drop again.

I mostly play bass, but I'm giving guitar a go.

I've been playing bass for a while..  Got up to grade 7 and then didn't play for maybe 3 years.  Guitar has always been more wishful thinking.. 

18/61 trophies.

• Like 1

Been continuing on with High and Dry, and my score keeps improving, hopefully it'll be mastered soon.

Also, I started with the chord arrangement for Satisfaction. The entire song is just E, A, D, and B5. 3 plays and I have all phrases mastered and hit 108k points.

So that's 3 songd fully mastered and I got a trophy for 100 points for a chord arrangement.

One more song mastered and I can play a Master level event, which requires 4 songs to be mastered.

Then I pulled out the accoustic and messed around with trying to learn 'Ho Hey' and 'Hurt' (Johnny Cash version) the old fashioned way. I forgot how loud an accoustic is just playing naturally.

Then I pulled out the accoustic and messed around with trying to learn 'Ho Hey' and 'Hurt' (Johnny Cash version) the old fashioned way. I forgot how loud an accoustic is just playing naturally.

I did the same a few days ago..  Which led me to think.. How do you guys deal with the noise?  I heard you say earlier that you felt like you were flailing on one song, and I do that a fair bit but I'm sure it's terrible for my neighbours..  o.o;

I don't know whether to just make them deal and be all selfish (I'm not exactly playing at anti-social hours) but still...  It's kinda embarrassing.

I did the same a few days ago..  Which led me to think.. How do you guys deal with the noise?  I heard you say earlier that you felt like you were flailing on one song, and I do that a fair bit but I'm sure it's terrible for my neighbours..  o.o;

I don't know whether to just make them deal and be all selfish (I'm not exactly playing at anti-social hours) but still...  It's kinda embarrassing.

My neighbours regularly play music at more antisocial hours than me, so I play loud as I like when I practice. They haven't complained yet - I don't go that loud anyway, I'm not a total asshole - but if they ever do I have a long list of songs that I've heard them practicing at 3am. 

But as far as embarrassment goes, just shrug it off. Everyone starts somewhere and the practice is a necessary part of improving. If you're too scared to potentially falter or fail, you'll never develop. 

• Like 1

I keep everything turned down pretty low actually. I usually play once the kids are in bed and I've never woke either of them so I don't really worry about the neighbors.

I do occasionally practice in the middle of the day with the windows open but I still don't turn the volume up very loud. My goal is to be able to play everything super clean, so I like to actuslly be able to hear the guitar strings make their original noise.

The wife had been reading a good book so I got almost 2 hrs to practice last night. Qualified on the last song in the set and played the next gig. Then worked on High and Dry. Got the final phrase leveled to 100%, it was the closing solo and from 90% to 100% it throws you omay one more note. Unfortunately it comes right at the worst possible time in the solo and completely boned my Rhythym. Never did perfect the damn thing, but at least the entire song is fully levelled. Now I just need to get over 100 points.

Tried some quick pick dash which is a tremolo guitarcade game. Was able to get about 1/3rd the score I need. It's switching strings and keeping it going that gets me every time and I slow down too much towards the end. Also played some ducks, which I swear I'm getting worse at, and Dawn of the Chordead where I've reached the halfway point in score.

Edited by Hemiak
  • Like 1

It's when the replay starts and I just sit there like, damnnn.  My thinking time was /how/ long? 

I have a family of four living next door.  I feel bad for the kids, but I suppose they argue FAR louder than I play so I could just think on that.  I just find it interesting to see how other people are.  TBH, I don't have it up way loud, but I think the walls are made of paper here, I'm sure.

It's far more of a fear of other people than it is a fear of failure though.  I don't have this problem on bass, 'cause I'm not bad, so I guess I just need to work through it.  (:

• 3 weeks later...

Got a short session today and a good long one tonight, after very little playing the last week. 

Got serious with Quick pick Dash. My arm is probably going to be sore for a day or two but I hit 5 mil points and finished off that mini game.

Still haven't finished Chordead off. I can get over 400K with no mistakes and no pausing, and then the game seems to get really fickle. The worst is a chord where you throw a bar and then hold the A string two frets down. For some reason I have never hit this chord correctly. I even paused it, made absolutely sure I was positioned correctly and the notes were clean,  yet it will not give me credit. I was over 650k perfect, then had three fails in a row with this gd chord to end the game.  It really seems the game is more generous the more strings you're holding down. 

I finally got High and Dry fully mastered so I decided to bite the bullet and try a full master set.  Played Go With the Flow, Satisfaction  (chords), Next Girl, and High and Dry. I used my I pad to get a feel for the first two songs, but played the last two properly. Ended up doing well enough to get an encore,  which I wasn't expecting. I also earned over 750k  RS points, which boosted me up a level. So that's two more trophies right there. 

Played one more new song after that for fun. All in all a really solid night for progress. Now it's time to take some ibuprofen, ice my arm and stretch out my back. I might be getting to old for this shit. 

Edited by Hemiak
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody else actually playing?

No?  ok. I haven't touched my guitar since the last update either so I can't really talk. 

Anyway, I actually played for about 20 minutes today. #smallvictories  

I realized I was sitting at 4,998 trophies and started looking through my profile. I noticed a trophy called Just Awesome on RS for getting a 750 note streak. Decided to go for it when the kids were having some quiet time upstairs. Popped on 'Go With the Flow' which is basically 4 "chords" repeated throughout the whole song. Hadn't played it seriously in quite a while. 1st try got a 640 streak for the 500 trophy, 2nd try put up 771 and got the trophy.

Them I decided to give Chordead a try. Actually had a really good run and got 1.2 million points, ding!  I even hit the one chord that never registers, which was even more amazing than finishing the ehole thing.

Then real life reared it's head and I had to shut her down. I'm going to really work this week to get some time every day.  

• Like 1

Anybody else actually playing?

Even 20 minutes here and there is good mate. Better than nothing! Like you say, small victories!

But yeah, I'm still playing. Had a pretty decent bass session over the weekend. Click a guitar in my sig to see the latest!

Just for shits and giggles for the guys and gals following this thread, I found a musician on YT who can play the shovel (or is that a spade?) like a boss:

Even 20 minutes here and there is good mate. Better than nothing! Like you say, small victories!

But yeah, I'm still playing. Had a pretty decent bass session over the weekend. Click a guitar in my sig to see the latest!

Just for shits and giggles for the guys and gals following this thread, I found a musician on YT who can play the shovel (or is that a spade?) like a boss:

METAL SHOVEL!  Lol, they were talking about this on the morning show I listen to last week. 

Got an hour or so last night. Tried out the 4 songs in the next set I'd never worked on. I had done the other 3 a week and a half ago I think. Qualified on all of them first try, though I was dang close on one of them. Decided to "perform" the set because I hadn't done one in a while. Got an encore but the combination of songs I had only tried once each, some of them over a week ago, did not inspire confidence. "I deserve an encore??? Sure I do Rocksmith, sure I do."  

Earned less than 200k RS pts for 8 songs... :facepalm:  really need to pick another song or two to master. 

Contenders off the top of my head:

Where is my mind, - Pixies

Me and the Bean - Spoon

Vaseline - STP 

In Bloom - Nirvana

Played some Ducks after that for a while, then it was time to plug in the plastic guitar and play with my wife. 

Edited by Hemiak

Played some Ducks after that for a while, then it was time to plug in the plastic guitar and play with my wife.

Do we really need to know this? Seems a little... personal... 

And possibly a violation of Rule 9!

:P

I think Vaseline is a good contender for your next song to master. Personally, I find that one easiest of the ones you listed.

• Like 1

Do we really need to know this? Seems a little... personal... 

And possibly a violation of Rule 9!

:P

I think Vaseline is a good contender for your next song to master. Personally, I find that one easiest of the ones you listed.

>. <  lol 

Yeah, i did really well on Vaseline several weeks ago. Plus, STP is probably my favorite 90s band so that helps. The first two are on there because they're fun and sound good not cause they're easy. Though they aren't super difficult either. 

In Bloom is on there because 90% of that song is really easy and the solo isn't too bad either. However, my wife really dislikes Nirvana, so that limits the amount of time I can practice it. 

From a trophy standpoint, I could just stop learning songs now and replay the ones I have mastered to grind out RS points for rank 11, but the plat isn't the only reason I'm playing,  so I think I'll skip that method

Edit: did Edun delete her thread. I can't find it. 

Edited by Hemiak

Edit: did Edun delete her thread. I can't find it. 

No, it's here. She's in the PS3 RS2014 sub forum.

In Bloom is on there because 90% of that song is really easy and the solo isn't too bad either. However, my wife really dislikes Nirvana, so that limits the amount of time I can practice it. 

From a trophy standpoint, I could just stop learning songs now and replay the ones I have mastered to grind out RS points for rank 11, but the plat isn't the only reason I'm playing,  so I think I'll skip that method

I can't say I'm the world's biggest Nirvana fan either. I never really got into grunge as a sub-genre.

Meh. I don't have a problem with trophy chasing from my own perspective in these games, but I know that I am playing this game now to improve my skills with the instrument. Once I get the plat, I'm gonna keep playing.

No, it's here. She's in the PS3 RS2014 sub forum.

I can't say I'm the world's biggest Nirvana fan either. I never really got into grunge as a sub-genre.

Meh. I don't have a problem with trophy chasing from my own perspective in these games, but I know that I am playing this game now to improve my skills with the instrument. Once I get the plat, I'm gonna keep playing.

Ah, thanks. Didn't even think to check if there was a 2nd version. 

I hear you with wanting more out of the game than just the trophies. The guy who wrote the guide I looked at forever ago mentioned that you can just master 4-6 songs and play them over and over to max your rank fast. I think that's probably more for people who already know how to play and ARE just in it for the trophies.

I messed around for about 20 min yesterday but didn't turn the game on. I'm off really early today though so hopefully I can get some practice in. 

Edited by Hemiak

Had about 30 min to practice yesterday. 

Played Vaseline , increased my score and fully leveled everything but the solo. Gonna take some focused attention to get there. 

Pretty much the same story with Where is my Mind. 

Then I played a new song which seemed pretty fun. I qualifies first try,  but I'd really like to level it up and see how it turns out. 

On the current set,  two of the songs have over 90k qualifying targets. I've played then each and gotten around 50k previously,  it'll be a good bit of work to get them where I need them to perform the next gig.

Edit:

Got about an hour in tonight. Yay! Had to take a few breaks throughout but made some progress. 

Decided to work on the two songs I needed 90k to qualify.

Started with Angela by Jarvis Crocker. Did one run through the song and had a respectable performance. Then went into riff repeater,  I only had one section (the solo amazingly :/) that wasn't fully leveled. Used the leveler and 15 min later had the whole song at 100%, Huzzah. Did another run through the song and racked up 97k pts. 3k more and I qualify for master mode,  not bad.

Next went after Boys Don't Cry by the Cure.  This one wasn't nearly as levelled. Decided to start with the main chorus portion in riff repeater and after about 10 min had that fully levelled. Did one run of the song and went from about 60k to 83k. Decided to play again and racked up 91k. Once I'm into the chord section I can nail all the transitions,  and I think I figured  out the best way to go about it after my 2nd run. 

Either of these would be relatively easy for me to get mastered,  and neither is too hard on the ears. 

Edited by Hemiak
  • Like 1