An Epic Quest for Anyone: Let's Play Rocksmith (either)

Hemiak

I bought the original US Rocksmith version when it released, which was nearly one year before it should be released in the EU. I got a really cheap guitar from a friend, who bought something neat for himself and had this one left over. I knew it was only to get a feeling for it and if I wanted to continue it would probably best, to buy something halfways decent myself.

I didn't play that much and had both the game and the guitar laying around for years. Recently, I wanted to pick it up again. I still wanted to learn and also earn some of the remaining trophies, as long as they aren't too hard. I then sold my US copy of the game and got a german version, because the DLC-songs bought from the EU-store didn't work with the US-version - and also the Bass expansion is included for free in the EU-copies (in the US store it was pretty expensive, if I remember correctly).

I made a little progress - in terms of my fingers didn't hurt that much anymore :D - but am still stuck with that guitar. Now I'm really thinking about buying a decent one for me, because I'm sure that the "playability" can only be better. Still not sure on the budget I want to spend, though. There are a lot of guitars between 100 and 200 €, but some of them still have pretty mixed reviews. I think it might be wiser, to spend a little more and be happy than the other way around.

I found this Gretsch yesterday (high res pictures also included there) and it looks pretty awesome to me. I always wanted a black LP-shape guitar, Gretsch doesn't have a bad name and the reviews on youtube and such seem to be pretty good. Still, 289€ is still quite an amount of cash and I'm not sure yet. Although that particular shop does give full refunds within a month, if not satisfied and even if I decided to keep it and wanted to sell it sometime later, they seem to be selling at a good price on ebay as well.

Decisions, decisions..

Edited by dalailama1989
  • Like 1

I bought the original US Rocksmith version when it released, which was nearly one year before it should be released in the EU. I got a really cheap guitar from a friend, who bought something neat for himself and had this one left over. I knew it was only to get a feeling for it and if I wanted to continue it would probably best, to buy something halfways decent myself.

I didn't play that much and had both the game and the guitar laying around for years. Recently, I wanted to pick it up again. I still wanted to learnd and also earn some of the remaining trophies, as long as they aren't too hard. I then sold my US copy of the game and got a german version, because the DLC-songs bought from the EU-store didn't work with the US-version and also the Bass expansion is included for free in the EU-copies (in the US store it was pretty expensive, if I remember correctly).

I made a little progress - in terms of my fingers didn't hurt that much anymore :D - but am still stuck with that guitar. Now I'm really thinking about buying a decent one for me, because I'm sure that the "playability" can only be better. Still not sure on the budget I want to spend, though. There are a lot of guitars between 100 and 200 €, but some of them still have pretty mixed reviews. I think it might be wiser, to spend a little more and be happy than the other way around.

I found this Gretsch yesterday (high res pictures also included there) and it looks pretty awesome to me. I always wanted a black LP-shape guitar, Gretsch doesn't have a bad name and the reviews on youtube and such seem to be pretty good. Still, 289€ is still quite an amount of cash and I'm not sure yet. Although that particular shop does give full refunds within a month, if not satisfied and even if I decided to keep it and wanted to sell it sometime later, they seem to be selling at a good price on ebay as well.

Decisions, decisions..

Go for it!! That is a good price for a decent guitar, mine set me back £900! They always hold their value so no worries on that side.

Got about 30 minutes two days ago, and then about an hour tonight.

Had a bit of a rough session. I re-tuned my guitar several times and it consistently had trouble recognizing certain notes or chords. The g/15 wouldn't register for anything, though it heard the 14 and 12 every time, wtf? It also had trouble with several of the power chords when playing star chords. It was incredibly frustrating to successfully hit a chord, have it show up on the next ship, and not register, without moving my hand.

One thing I don't believe I've mentioned is that my E-string tunes very strange. I use the tuner to dial it in perfect, and then once I get through tuning, I have to down tune it an eighth of a turn, otherwise half the notes will give me the stupid << next to the note. Maybe I need new strings?

On a positive note, I have about 5 songs around 50%, and 'My Generation" is at 90%, fully leveled except for the solo.

One weird thing that happened yesterday. I had missions for playing an 80s song, and playing a drop D song. I found a Queensryche (sp) song that filled both categories. I hit play and it asked me to download it for $2.99. I had the list sorted by year, but I didn't think it would list DLC songs unless I owned them. Has this happened to anyone else? If so is there a box I can check somewhere to exclude those?

I have found that it lists the latest DLC pack once after release. The next time you open the game it should be gone from your list unless you bought it. 

Dunno why this happens. Using Hanlon's law, I assume they left some program code in the game which pushes DLC, and which hasn't been entirely removed. I doubt it's nefarious. 

• Like 1

I have found that it lists the latest DLC pack once after release. The next time you open the game it should be gone from your list unless you bought it. 

Dunno why this happens. Using Hanlon's law, I assume they left some program code in the game which pushes DLC, and which hasn't been entirely removed. I doubt it's nefarious.

That makes sense, as I noticed it only showed 3 DLC songs and they change every couple days.

Been playing a bit every night or two. I'm getting close to 3 mil on several mini games and I've got about 5 songs over 50%, just been following the missions. I did go off mission at one point and play half a dozen SAM rounds on hard or medium. There are one or two songs I could probably do on master mode, but I don't quite know the song well enough to play from memory yet.

• Like 1

Played a couple days ago, took two days off then got another hour in this morning.

Still following missions mostly, though occasionally I go off book and hit a song on score attack.

My copy is obsessed with Scale Racer. It currently wants me to hit rank 8, nothing else is above rank 4. :/ I level it up, the game gives me star chords or string skip. Then I always get bends or hurdles. By then I'm usually ready to go back to playing songs, so I leave it. Turn the game back on... SCALE RACER!!!! Other missions will literally show up day after day if I don't touch them, but by God I will master scales.

Realized it was 10:15 am, so fired up session mode. 3 minutes later I had played with all three recommended bands, in 3 different roots, earned a trophy, and I still had 7 minutes to kill... Dropped out and played a couple songs.

Got two more songs over 50%, Splash by... Somebody, and Gold Motel (edit: these are actually the band titles and not the song titles >. <) , both pretty fun and really close to 60% now. Then it wanted me to hit 37.5% on X-kid. RR'd two sections to 100%, played the song, 48%. Perfect for my next over 50% mission. Got the Paint It Black >59% mission, but was out of time.

Can't wait to get back to it later and hit my shiny new Scale Racer level 9 mission that will invariably be there.

I feel like the original game was a lot more generous early on with trophies. I mean, I could knock out the session crap in an hour for 3 or 4 trophies, and do the three 'save a tone' trophies in under 5 minutes, but where's the fun in that?

Edit: got another hour to play night and yes, it did give me the level 9 in Scale Racer mission. I decided to skip it and just work on songs. Had a 'reach 50% mastery on two songs' mission. Worked on Sore tummy by Pawz, it was at 47%, now it's 65. Then fired up Angela, by Jarvis Crocker. It's a song I was decent at on RS original. Hit 84% mastery on one play... That'll do.

Got a 'play 3 new songs' mission, which I use to work through the 2014 set list. Don't remember what I played but none really stood out. Got a 'hit 75% accuracy' mission, did Next Girl by the Black Keys,. I immediately opened RR and maxed the song, then hit 98%. Pulled up SA and played it on hard, then master (first song and a trophy) didn't quite get a platinum pick, but was very close.

Went back to missions to play 2 new songs. Decided to bite the bullet and played Bat Country and some shit Mastodon song. Neither will ever be played again, not my cup of tea at all. Lastly, had to get a great performance, played one of my favorites and got Superb. All in all a good session for me.

I also unlocked the Uplay reward 'Mission Master' which I'm guessing is for 100 missions, but didn't really care enough to look it up.

Edited by Hemiak
  • Like 1

Short session today, used RR on the only marginally tougher phrase from Next Girl. Hit it 3x with no trouble. Fired up SAM, took a couple tries to figure out exactly where to start the song, since there are no drums until the guitar starts. Earned a platinum pick, unlocked 4 trophies, dropped the mic, and turned off my ps3. :)

• Like 2

Short session today, used RR on the only marginally tougher phrase from Next Girl. Hit it 3x with no trouble. Fired up SAM, took a couple tries to figure out exactly where to start the song, since there are no drums until the guitar starts. Earned a platinum pick, unlocked 4 trophies, dropped the mic, and turned off my ps3. :)

Great song, and a really good choice for doing the master mode trophies. 'grats!

• Like 1

Hey guys, 

crazy, that I never saw this thread xD 

Would love to participate and maybe this will finally motivate me to finish this game ^^ 

cybershark91

Rocksmith (PS3) (If I have finally finished this game I will buy Rocksmith 2014)

Path: Bass(finished) Guitar (lead>Rythm)

Instruments: Bass: Ibanez SR 506 BM customised with EMG-46TWX Pickups, Fender SQ Vintage Mod Jazz OWT Guitar: Yamaha Pacifica 212V QM TBL

Expert with the bass and beginner with guitar xD Finished rank 11 with bass and stuck at rank 8 on guitar.

trophies: 59/61

And now pics from my instruments:

7749592_800.jpg6635770_800.jpg7858137_800.jpg

• Like 3

Hey guys, 

crazy, that I never saw this thread xD 

Would love to participate and maybe this will finally motivate me to finish this game ^^ 

cybershark91

Rocksmith (PS3) (If I have finally finished this game I will buy Rocksmith 2014)

Path: Bass(finished) Guitar (lead>Rythm)

Instruments: Bass: Ibanez SR 506 BM customised with EMG-46TWX Pickups, Fender SQ Vintage Mod Jazz OWT Guitar: Yamaha Pacifica 212V QM TBL

Expert with the bass and beginner with guitar xD Finished rank 11 with bass and stuck at rank 8 on guitar.

trophies: 59/61

And now pics from my instruments:

7749592_800.jpg6635770_800.jpg7858137_800.jpg

Welcome to the journey man. Feel free to post as you like, and maybe you can add some new life of this thing.
  • Like 1

Just a quick question about Rocksmith 2014.

Since the PS4 version is way to expensive I thought about ordering the PS3 version. The songs which get released these days, are they still compatible with the ps3 version? 

It's strange that the ps4 version still cost 69€ in the psn store and the cheapest in retail I could find online was around 50€ with cable. >_>

Since the PS4 version is way to expensive I thought about ordering the PS3 version. The songs which get released these days, are they still compatible with the ps3 version? 

It's strange that the ps4 version still cost 69€ in the psn store and the cheapest in retail I could find online was around 50€ with cable. >_>

it's been on sale a couple times in the last few months. I picked it up for $10 and the ps4 version was $15 last time.

You CANNOT play 2014 songs in the original. You CAN spend an extra $10 to import the original games into either 2014 version.

I do get notifcations on the ps3 version every time a new DLC pack is released so I'm assuming that's a yes.

Are you on about the PS3 version of Rocksmith 2014? If so, then yes, new DLC is still supported on the PS3 version of Rocksmith 2014

If your question was about the original Rocksmith which is only available on PS3 and last gen, then no, new DLC is not compatible with Rocksmith

Are you on about the PS3 version of Rocksmith 2014? If so, then yes, new DLC is still supported on the PS3 version of Rocksmith 2014

If your question was about the original Rocksmith which is only available on PS3 and last gen, then no, new DLC is not compatible with Rocksmith

Yeah, I talked about the 2014 version. I guess the main difference between the ps4 and ps3 version is performance? Like even lesser latency and more frames? 

If that's the only difference I think PS3 version is fine for me :) 

Yeah, I talked about the 2014 version. I guess the main difference between the ps4 and ps3 version is performance? Like even lesser latency and more frames? 

Dunno, maybe load times or something, I guess. I think there's probably a post on the official ubisoft Rocksmith forums. 

I recall they said something about them being able to put less compression on the pedal effects on the PS4 version, so your instrument may sound slightly more "true to life" on PS4. Not sure if they said anything more than that. 

I actually have no idea, and got the ps3 version because that's what I have. It runs great definitely faster and easier to manage than the original.

@Stricken: I see what you were saying with the guitar case games and the irritating breaks between attempts. Its silly that there's no instant retry option when you fill, I know I did terrible game, I don't need to sit through 15 seconds of crap to try again. I also don't like how it defaults to showing the "how to" for each game, instead of the current tasks for the game. So I have to wait another 10 seconds any time I want to figure out how I'm supposed to be earning stars.

So sure enough, the very next time I turned on the Game, 'reach level 9 in Scale Racer' was there. I ignored it the other day, but then did it last night, also leveled Gone Whalin (lvl 5 now) and it asked me to finish another section of scale warriors. My practice on Racer is obvious as I got through the entire section with one guy at like 80% health, and the other at 60%, with no continues.

Everyone single time I turn the game on the top mission reverts to 'reach 50% mastery in 2 songs', no matter what it was when I shut the game down. I wonder if this is a glitch or intentional.

Ive had meetings and other stuff the last several nights. Hoping to get some real practice in again starting tomorrow night. TG swim team is almost over for the season.

• Like 1

@Stricken: I see what you were saying with the guitar case games and the irritating breaks between attempts. Its silly that there's no instant retry option when you fill, I know I did terrible game, I don't need to sit through 15 seconds of crap to try again. I also don't like how it defaults to showing the "how to" for each game, instead of the current tasks for the game. So I have to wait another 10 seconds any time I want to figure out how I'm supposed to be earning stars.

Yeah, it sucks huh. Definitely wish the star requirements were shown a bit faster. 

Everyone single time I turn the game on the top mission reverts to 'reach 50% mastery in 2 songs', no matter what it was when I shut the game down. I wonder if this is a glitch or intentional.

You might be able to refresh it by going back to the logo-screen (i.e. press :circle: while on the main menu and quit) and then going back into the game. Sometime doing this gives me new LaS and Guitarcade missions.

I managed to play today for a bit and just wanted to share what I "achieved". 

Over the time of around 1 1/2h I prepared some things for the next "gig".

Spoon - Me and the Bean (combo 89,160 don't really liek this song :X Will still play it)

Seth Chapla - Jules (Lead 33,128 difficult to play, but an fucking awesome solo in my opinion)

Red Fang - Number Thirteen (Combo 93,661 A really nice song in my opinion)

Dan Auerbach - I want some more (Combo 83,529 nice song, reminds me of some Tom Waits songs)

And now my finger hurt xD Still not used to cords :X The frets are so small on guitars. It's easier to play cords on Bass :D 

• Like 1

And now my finger hurt xD Still not used to cords :X The frets are so small on guitars. It's easier to play cords on Bass :D

Tell me about it. Chords are one of the main reasons I find the guitar less enjoyable. I just don't seem to be able to squeeze my fingers into the shapes required to play anything more complicated than a power chord... :( #bassislife

So I've gotten 30-60 minutes the last couple days. I turn on the game, it says Scale Racer lvl 10, I back out the the splash screen, hit enter, and it gives me new missions. Every time, kinda weird.

Anyway, I haven't really focused on any one song, but I've had "play 2 or 3 new songs" about 3 times now. I didn't really focus on any one new song though. I generally go in, open RR, select the whole song and knock it up to 40 or 50% mastery, then start at the beginning. Most of them I finish in the high 30s to mid 40s. Then it asked me to increase mastery on X kid, blah. I just don't really care for the song and I feel like the game has much more trouble recognizing power chords than regular chords. Seriously, I feel like if Star Chords threw me regular base chords instead of all the power stuff I'd have the 10 mil already.

I also just happened to knock out "The Ernie Ball special" trophy while I was at it.

Ive leveled String Skip from 4 to 7 (8 mil points) , Star Chords from 2 to 5, bends from 2 to 4, Ducks RE from 1 to 3, Whalin is lvl 6 now, and Slidin from 2 to 4. I also played the 2nd progression in Chordead with only one continue.

I need to sit down one day and just focus on getting a couple songs over to 100% mastery. I've got like 20 over 80% already.

• Like 1

So I've gotten 30-60 minutes the last couple days. I turn on the game, it says Scale Racer lvl 10, I back out the the splash screen, hit enter, and it gives me new missions. Every time, kinda weird.

I need to sit down one day and just focus on getting a couple songs over to 100% mastery. I've got like 20 over 80% already.

Yeah, it does that. It's a good way to refresh missions. Try it next time it asks you to play X-Kid if you don't like that song. 

There's some easy ones you could start with. Blitzkrieg Bop springs to mind! Good work though, that's really impressive. 

Don't be too impressed, 18/20 were songs from the original RS I fired up, used RR to max out, and played one time, lol. BlitzkB is there at like 87% or something as well. I think that, and 'My Generation' are the only ones that high from 2014.

I find it hard to work on maxing one song when all the missions want me to do is play new stuff and get low scores over 50%.

I just need to spend one day and completely ignore missions.

• Like 2