An Epic Quest for Anyone: Let's Play Rocksmith (either)

Hemiak

I want in!

Edunstar84

Rocksmith 2014 (PS3)

Guitar: Lead, Rhythm and Bass....eventually. For now it's lead guitar

Beginner (never held a guitar before a few months ago)

Trophies: 6/48

I'll update here weekly, but if anyone wants to know what I do (almost) daily, you can have a look here:

http://psnprofiles.com/forums/topic/33816-the-other-epic-quest-to-rock-stardom-60-days-and-beyond/unread/

• Like 1

Ok, so here's my personal intro.

For Christmas in 2001(estimate) I received an acoustic guitar and a copy of "Country and Blues guitar for the musically hopeless", which consisted of a book and two cassette tapes. If you don't know what those are, look it up.

I had been rock climbing as my main hobby for almost three years at this point. WTF does that matter you ask? I was able to do pull ups using one finger on each hand, any finger, and I had calluses that pretty much went from finger tip to Palm. Seriously, when I gave blood they had to do the little prick to sample my blood on the back of my hand, because the needle wouldn't go through. Basically, my hands were about as strong and tough as any aspiring guitar player could wish for.

I played 2-3 hours a day every day for about two months. I learned some finger picking, a bunch of basic chords, and some easy songs I didn't really care for. Then I reached the end of the book and stalled. I printed off some random tablature and practiced here and there, and as life started to take over more and more, I just kind of walked away.

Over the last decade I've made two other half hearted efforts to pick it back up and just couldn't stay motivated.

Being a gamer and a big fan of alt rock I'm hoping RS is the answer to my dilemma.

I have a full time job, a wife, and two school age kids. I can usually eek out a couple hours of game time in the nights before bed, but damn my hands are not what they used to be.

Here's my new purchase:

8223_G_310_Ebony_1203130487_a.jpg

Epiphone G-310

I've had two sessions with the game now. Both around an hour. The first night I just played the first two songs, something by the Stones, and Next Girl by the Black Keys (who I love) I practiced both a few times, played my first gig, and earned an encore.

Last night I worked on the next two songs several times, but didn't play the gig yet. Played the first three tech challenges, got gold in two of them, came very close on hopo's as well, but shifting strings is just slightly too much atm . Also tried the ducks mini game, which went... poorly. I felt like the game occasionally registered a fret as one higher or lower than where I was pressing. (Visually confirmed) maybe I'm pressing too hard or soft, but it was kind of irritating when my fingers were in the right place but the bullets weren't.

Edited by Hemiak
  • Like 1

jeah letz rock :)

Xionx

Rocksmith PS4

Guitar: Lead and rythm

Hm my skill.... hard to say ^^ i have played lead e-guitar for 7 years , but i took a very long break . i dont have to learn it from beginning , but im sure i need some time to get back into my old skill level.  Im very lazy , so maybe this Event motivates me to play again on a daily base.

My guitars :

Stratocaster fake ^^ (looks like stratocaster but it is a cheap one) was my first guitar.

BC Rich Beast :  this is my baby :) i love it , strings are little bit more near to the board , so you can play little bit faster without pushing to hard :)

bc_rich_warlock_bass_guitar_by_adramelec

GOGO i want to see your guitars too :)

Trophies: 1 xD

Edited by Xionx

LMAO lol1-onion-head-emoticon.gif?1292862512, so were you able to convince her?

Patience young one. You of all people should know that a quest of this magnitude isn't completed in one or two days, or weeks. Nay, only with great effort, strength of will, frappachinos, and foot rubs, can a challenge of this magnitude be overcome. xD , :o , :P

Also, I'll add people to the opening post when I get home later.

Edited by Hemiak
  • Like 1

Rollers23

Rocksmith and Rocksmith 2014

Mainly lead, sometimes rythm

Skill: dunno... intermediate, i guess? I started over a year ago and I can play some cool stuff but nothing uber pro yet :D Still have a lot to learn.

My guitars: Washburn X10 (well, technically my sister's but she doesn't play it at all)

And Fujigen Mythic <3

Edited by Rollers23

colinmazzini

Rocksmith 2014 PS4

I have both a Guitar and a Bass

I played bass a few years ago, but completely new to guitar, never held a guitar until I bought the game (1/48 trophies)

Having a bit of trouble right now as the power chords will not register no matter what I seem to do, but with a group going through it, maybe it will give me the motivation to figure it out

Edited by colinmazzini

I don't have either Rocksmith game, but I do intend on getting one or both of them sometime soon (my birthday is coming up so maybe then). Is it okay if I do the form anyway? I'd like to check back up on this thread frequently, seems like a really good idea to help people get into guitar.

Waffle-Sensei

Neither game, yet.

I mainly play lead, but I'm working on rhythm and I want to learn more bass.

I've been playing for a couple years, so I have experience but I'm still not the pro I want to be. I'm aiming for Slash, Jimi Hendrix, or Jimmy Page-level skills.

I have an Ibanez GIO GRX70QA and an Ibanez AEB5E Acoustic-Electric. But I've always wanted a Fujigen or a Gibson Double Neck (these are ridiculously expensive though, 'tis but a dream).

I still hope it's okay that I don't have the games yet, but once I get them I'll for sure post some more on here, along with other guitar updates.

Awesome. I didn't realise you'd started a general thread. This should be good for sharing advice, etc.

Sign me up here. I will participate in this thread but will probably keep my main updates over on my personal epic quest

StrickenBiged

Rocksmith 2014 (PS4)

Path: All 3, as the mood takes me. 

Experience: Copied from my personal thread:

I have attempted to learn guitar twice already - in my teens and, separately, while I was a post-grad. My problem was that I found practicing boring. I enjoyed playing along to simpler rock songs once I'd learned the riffs but you'd never see me sitting down and learning scales or practicing the general skills with scales and chords that you need to do in order to progress. I played around with a bass guitar too, but ran into the same problems. I think my highest achievements were being able to roughly play along to Green Day's Warning, and just about learning the opening riff to Guns 'n' Roses' Sweet Child of Mine on the guitar, and being able to play along to The Peter Gunn Theme from the Blues Brothers Soundtrack on bass.

I've done about 56 practice sessions with Rocksmith 2014 since September 2015. (Not all of these have counted towards the "60 Day Challenge" though, as that only logs your session if you spend >1hr in an active part of the game - e.g. playing songs in Learn a Song - menus don't count.) 

Trophies: 27/48

Instruments - Epiphone Les Paul Ultra PRO (in vintage sunburst) and a Epiphone Thunderbird PRO-IV (in sunburst). Pictures in my sig.

8223_G_310_Ebony_1203130487_a.jpg

Epiphone G-310

Last night I worked on the next two songs several times, but didn't play the gig yet. Played the first three tech challenges, got gold in two of them, came very close on hopo's as well, but shifting strings is just slightly too much atm . Also tried the ducks mini game, which went... poorly. I felt like the game occasionally registered a fret as one higher or lower than where I was pressing. (Visually confirmed) maybe I'm pressing too hard or soft, but it was kind of irritating when my fingers were in the right place but the bullets weren't.

Nice axe! The look of the SG's has grown on me lately.

Gigs? Tech challenges? I haven't played the original Rocksmith beyond the calibration and tutorial, so this is all gobbledygook to me. 

When it comes to the ducks game though - have you checked that your guitar is properly intonated? If it's not that, then pressing too hard can cause the note to go too sharp and the game might register it as a fret above what you're playing. Pressing too softly should only produce fret buzz, but shouldn't cause the note's pitch to sound any flatter.

bc_rich_warlock_bass_guitar_by_adramelec

:wub:

Awesome. I didn't realise you'd started a general thread. This should be good for sharing advice, etc.

Gigs? Tech challenges? I haven't played the original Rocksmith beyond the calibration and tutorial, so this is all gobbledygook to me. 

When it comes to the ducks game though - have you checked that your guitar is properly intonated? If it's not that, then pressing too hard can cause the note to go too sharp and the game might register it as a fret above what you're playing. Pressing too softly should only produce fret buzz, but shouldn't cause the note's pitch to sound any flatter.

Yeah, I figured we had two solid "Journal" type entries people could read if they desired, and I wanted to do something slightly different.  I'll probably post my updates every two or three days, but not keep a chronicle in the opening post.

So the "main" mode for the original game is called The Journey.  It gives you a couple songs and allows you to practice.  When you reach a certain number of Rocksmith points in all the songs you can play a Gig.  It basically gives you the songs back to back (to back, etc.) If you reach a certain number of points for the whole set it gives you an encore and throws another song at you.  I haven't seen anything like mastery from 2014 yet.  It pretty much just tracks your Accuracy and the Rocksmith points. 

At any point you can back to the main menu and do any of the other stuff too.  You can practice any song you have unlocked, whole song or Riff Repeater, you can do the guitarcade, practice chords, or try the tech challenges.  It basically introduces a new technique (unlocked by playing a song that has that technique in it.), gives you a short video, about 30 seconds of practice, and then you can start the challenge and play it as many times as you want.  The first was just moving up and down one string, second was switching string/fret notes, and the third is hopo(s).  Later is slides, palm muting, chords, etc.  They all work like the rest of the game, where you have to play it a couple of times to get enough notes to get your score high enough.  There's a trophy for getting bronze on all of them, and another for all gold. It's a decent way to figure out wtf they're talking about when they throw a term at you randomly.

That's kind of what I figured was happening, as with the entire game, I'm sure it's just a case of practicing, which I didn't get to do last night.  Did the grocery shopping, and then hung with the wife until bed.  I'm realizing at this point that I probably should have gotten the game on my xBox360 (BLASPHEMY!!!) so that I wouldn't have to share TV time. 

So the "main" mode for the original game is called The Journey.  It gives you a couple songs and allows you to practice.  When you reach a certain number of Rocksmith points in all the songs you can play a Gig.  It basically gives you the songs back to back (to back, etc.) If you reach a certain number of points for the whole set it gives you an encore and throws another song at you.  I haven't seen anything like mastery from 2014 yet.  It pretty much just tracks your Accuracy and the Rocksmith points. 

At any point you can back to the main menu and do any of the other stuff too.  You can practice any song you have unlocked, whole song or Riff Repeater, you can do the guitarcade, practice chords, or try the tech challenges.  It basically introduces a new technique (unlocked by playing a song that has that technique in it.), gives you a short video, about 30 seconds of practice, and then you can start the challenge and play it as many times as you want.  The first was just moving up and down one string, second was switching string/fret notes, and the third is hopo(s).  Later is slides, palm muting, chords, etc.  They all work like the rest of the game, where you have to play it a couple of times to get enough notes to get your score high enough.  There's a trophy for getting bronze on all of them, and another for all gold. It's a decent way to figure out wtf they're talking about when they throw a term at you randomly.

Huh, it sounds a lot more "gamey" than R2014, which lets you play anything you want right from the word "go". All the lessons, songs and games are there, and it's up to you to choose what and how you want to play and learn. You can't fail a song in the learning modes on R2014, but you can in the Score Attack Mode (which is basically Guitar Hero with a real instrument). 

I might give R1 more of a go at some point, but I only started it so I could download the tracks into R2014

I didn't get a chance to plsy again last night so I just sat down with the guitar and dunked around with chord formations I remembered from my past experience, just to build finger strength & toughness.

I am probably going to break down and get a copy for my xbox so I can play it even if the wife is using the TV. I'll still be working on the trophies on my ps3 version as well, but I'd imagine the bulk of my practice will be on the 360.

I Would like to join as well :D

Altered-_-Beast9 

Trying to get the PS4 Version tommorow, i have about 400+ Hour's in the PC Version so far.

I Feel like i'm not as good as i should be for playing that long, but hey everyone learn's at a different pace.

Mostly played Rhythm sometime's Lead and no Bass so far.

For Guitar's i got the Epiphone Les Paul Jr. that came bundeled with the Game, and i bought an LTD Snakebyte as a Christmas Gift for myself.

For now my Goal is to get the "Easy" trophies done during the weekend. 

Sounds like it could be fun! I'll join in!

I play Rocksmith 2014 every so often. I've gotta play the original more though so I'll start doing that!

Game: RS (PS3) & RS:2014 (PS4)
Path: All 3

Guitar: Fender Stratocaster
Experienced? Been playing guitar a long time now, but I'm certainly no pro.

Trophies: RS: (12/61) 2014: (48/48)

Hopefully this will give me a push to try and finally get that RS Platinum!

Sounds like it could be fun! I'll join in!

I play Rocksmith 2014 every so often. I've gotta play the original more though so I'll start doing that!

Game: RS (PS3) & RS:2014 (PS4)

Path: All 3

Guitar: Fender Stratocaster

Experienced? Been playing guitar a long time now, but I'm certainly no pro.

Trophies: RS: (12/61) 2014: (48/48)

Hopefully this will give me a push to try and finally get that RS Platinum!

Have you ported the songs from RS1 to RS 2014? That way you can play them with the new RS2014 features.

Tried and failed to do that. I'll have to have another crack at doing it sometime :P

See my trophy guide. I did a "how to" in the notes section. I had problems with the transfer too, but Ubisoft support helped me out and got it working.

As you've got that plat, any feedback you could give me on the guide would be great. PM me or leave a comment on the guide if you've go the time. ;)

• Like 1

They're not cheap according to Google.

Or was it 2nd hand?

There are 2 kinds of snakebyte ESP and LTD which is the same company.

ESP is the more expensive Japanese custom stuff.

LTD is the Chinese factory stuff those are a lot cheaper.

For the Snakebyte from the review's I looked at before I bought it pretty much everyone agrees that they are almost the same with only minor differences. No idea how they handle it on the other models they produce.

My LTD Snakebyte is a new one and cost just 900€.

Bought it from bax-shop in germany. No idea why they sold it for about 500€ less then every other shop around here.

An ESP costs way more then that but like I said you pretty much just pay for the name, I think last time I checked the price was around 4,400€

• Like 1

this was/is another on my life/task list (wont be ready for a while I scheme)

first of my dumb questions, if I may...

PS3 or PS4 and R or R2014?

thank you very please

P.S. apologies if I am breaking protocol, let me know and ill recalibrate