An Epic Quest for Anyone: Let's Play Rocksmith (either)

Hemiak

PS3 or PS4 and R or R2014?

thank you very please

P.S. apologies if I am breaking protocol, let me know and ill recalibrate

Play whichever you want man, it's totally up to you. Not a lot of rules here. :) Edited by Hemiak

ok cool, but does anyone know how they compare?

I haven't played 2014 yet so can't compare them.

I finally got to play for a little over an hour tonight. Practiced 'GO with the flow' by Queens of the Stone Age and 'Higher Ground' by the Chilli Peppers. I had played them before but not in several days. I then played the 'gig' for those two songs.

I Qualified for another encore, which I completely flubbed. It was truly pathetic, easily the lowest score I've gotten on a full song. Too much thrown at me too fast.

The string/fret movement on those first two songs is pretty easy, but they both hsve a relatively fast strum pattern thrown in. Thats fine on the E string, or with chords, but on any other single string, it's really tough for me.

After that I decided my fundamentals could use some work so went back to the tech challenges. Got the sliding one to a gold score on my 3rd try, then worked on bending. I did pretty good with that, got it to silver, but obviously still need some work. I went into the chord challenge next since that's what I'm a bit more familiar with. It just started with standard E, then added D, C, and Am as I continued, all of which I was already familiar with. Almost tripled the score needed for a gold rank on just my 2nd try. Pretty happy with that result. Also got the trophy for 5 chords hit in a row. :)

By then it was time to play some Jeopardy with the wife, so I called it a night. Hopefully I'll be able to budget at least an hour a night from here on out.

I'll hopefully have more in t he near future.

• Like 1

thanks, still undecided lol * adds compare R games to task list

It might make a difference if I explained that Ubisoft SF, the studio behind the games, designed R2014 to be a replacement to R1. They took a lot of feedback from R1 and made it a better learning tool. 

I'm sure R1 is still a great system for learning guitar. But choosing it over R2014 would be like buying a Nokia 5165. It'll still perform its primary function, but you'll get that and more with a smartphone.

From what I've seen 2014 is much more polished.  It's also slightly more user friendly, I've noticed that if I want to play/practice something other than what the game recommends, I have to navigate through a few menus to get where I want to go.  Not a deal breaker but a little annoying.  However, it seems like the original holds your hand to start a little more, and gamifies the song progression slightly more, so if you are a true beginner that might be slightly more beneficial.

I realized if I drop the kids at school just a little bit early I can get a full half hour of practice in about three mornings a week.  This morning I only got about 10 minutes though, as my wife got called to sub way late and I had to help her rush to get her stuff ready.

Fresh off my chord tech challenge success last night I decided to play  'Dawn of the Chordead'  I had seen videos of the RS2014 version of this game and frankly it looks to be better than the one I have.  Instead of being given a chord, using it for a while.  Then a 2nd chord, and switching between those two for a bit.  Then a 3rd, etc.  The original just kind of throws random chords at you and you have to strum it in a pretty short period of time or you get munched.  It seems pretty random as well, so it's not like you can fall back on your knowledge of chord progression to succeed.  Within 3-4 rounds I was seeing multiple chords I had never practiced.  Played it twice, got to level 6 and 30k points, only 970k more for the trophy  :D    :(

Fast Forward 24 hours.  Played about an hour this morning.  Worked on three new songs.  In Bloom by Nirvana seems like it should be a pretty good one for me.  Got all three up to "qualify" status, didn't have time to play the gig for that set.  Played around with the riff repeater for the first time.  It has both incremental, and speed modes.  One slowly throws more and more notes at you, at the normal song speed.  The 2nd gives you all the notes for a section, and gradually speeds it up every time you hit them all correctly.  Seems like they would both each be effective for different types of songs.

• Like 2

For the original you can play the entire game with a guitar, but the DLC is bass based.  You could probably do the whole thing in emulated bass mode with a guitar, though I haven't checked.  :)  I'm pretty sure you can earn all but the rank 11 trophy with a bass.  So for the platinum, you HAVE to have a guitar, but a bass is fine to play the entire game with.

• Like 1

thought id just get another dumb question out of the way so I can leave yall to it...

to do all the paths does one only need a guitar and bass guitar?

thanks

For R2014, you can do all 3 paths with just a guitar, using emulated bass mode to play the bass arrangements. However, you won't be able to access the bass lessons unless you have a bass guitar. 

(Well, some people say that they've been able to down tune a normal guitar to trick the game into thinking you're using a bass, but bear in mind that the strings would be so floppy that you're going to have a hard time playing it.)

Edited by StrickenBiged
  • Like 1

Hell yeah, I am down. I got the game a little over a year ago when I bought my guitar but I haven't played nearly as much as I should. I think joining this will me out.

Rocksmith: 2014
Path: Guitar Lead & Rhythm (mostly Lead) 
Guitar: Schecter Omen Extreme
Beginner/Know a little bit
Trophies 39/48

omen-extreme-bch-2012-tilt.png

Edited by skateak
  • Like 2

So I've played 30-90 minutes a day for a couple days now.  Mostly I've been working through some new songs, though I've replayed a couple older songs as well.  I've now hit rank 4 in the game from playing the last two gigs, and I'm up to 14 trophies (several random misc. ones).  I tried out the power chord challenge the other night as well.  I feel like I've got it pretty solid, but the game seems to have trouble registering when I move the chord shape to different strings, so I'm still stuck with a bronze rank on that one.  Only about 4-5 more challenges and I'll have the bronze rank for all of them, which is a trophy.  It'll take quite a bit more work to get them all up to the gold standard, but I'll get there eventually.

I'm very close to hitting the magic 100k number on 2-3 songs.  Doing it on 'Next Girl' will get me a trophy for 100k on a single note arrangement, and doing it on 'Go With The Flow' will net me the combo arrangement trophy.  That's also one of the steps in RS original for getting Master rank on a song.  You need to have > 100k pts and all phrases fully leveled up.  I feel like one of these two songs will definitely be my first master category song.  Although being a huge STP fan, 'Vasoline' felt very natural to play, and I have it to around 80k with only 3 plays of the song, so that will be up there soon as well.  Eventually I'll need to get at least 4 songs to that level to play a full Master level gig, so we'll see if any of the new songs really stand out.

My kids wanted to try it today which was less than optimal.   Any of the easier songs I had already leveled quite a bit through regular play, and many of the songs I haven't played start at a higher level of difficulty.   I might just create a whole new profile on my ps3 so they can start at level 0 and go from there.  They've both played GH games, so they;re familiar with the note highway, and their timing isn't too bad.  It's just finding the right string, which is a huge problem.

Fridays are my paperwork night so I don't know if I'll get in more practice today, but I've got some time blocked out for tomorrow for sure.

Anybody else making any progress?

Hell yeah, I am down. I got the game a little over a year ago when I bought my guitar but I haven't played nearly as much as I should. I think joining this will me out.

Rocksmith: 2014

Path: Guitar Lead & Rhythm (mostly Lead) 

Guitar: Schecter Omen Extreme

Beginner/Know a little bit

Trophies 39/48

omen-extreme-bch-2012-tilt.png

Thats a beauty ! lovely designe :)

Anybody else making any progress?

No, havent played it since i signed up.  I need new strings and im little bit in stress at the moment. My Wisdom Tooth pain is not helping me. But im motivated to start soon.

I have to be careful , after to long breaks i always play to much on single day and get some bubbles on my fingers : / .

Thats a beauty ! lovely designe :)

I have to be careful , after to long breaks i always play to much on single day and get some bubbles on my fingers : / .

Thanks man. I got it for around $500 brand new from the Schecter website. I have a friend that is a very accomplished guitar player and he said he likes it more than his $1500 Jackson. As far as the blisters go that is a good sign. I know they hurt and can be a pain in the ass but that is a sign that your fingers are starting to develop callouses and after they heal its quite unlikely that you will rip your fingertips open again unless you go for long periods of time without playing. It can also ease the tension on your wrist because your fingers are tougher, harder and you don't have the press on the stings as hard as when your finger tips were soft.

Edited by skateak

Thanks man. I got it for around $500 brand new from the Schecter website. I have a friend that is a very accomplished guitar player and he said he likes it more than his $1500 Jackson. As far as the blisters go that is a good sign. I know they hurt and can be a pain in the ass but that is a sign that your fingers are starting to develop callouses and after they heal its quite unlikely that you will rip your fingertips open again unless you go for long periods of time without playing. It can also ease the tension on your wrist because your fingers are tougher, harder and you don't have the press on the stings as hard as when your finger tips were soft.

yeah i know , i have played 6 years :)  , i mean my break is now over 1 year and whenn i jump in back , i play with slidings and so on , but after 1 year you get blister fast when sliding to much xD. in the time i was playing everyday i had hard fingercaps and never got blister .

So I only had about 20 minutes to practice yesterday. :( 

But I dercided to make the most of it and practice stuff I knew fairly well.  Played 'Satisfaction' and increased my score about 25%.  Then played 'Next Girl' and ended up with a 97% accuracy and over 100k points.  I now qualify to play that song on master mode (and earned a trophy :)  )  Instead of jumping right on that, I played 'Go With The Flow' and got that to over 100k as well, for a 2nd shiny bronze.  I'm a lot lower accuracy on that one, but the whole song is a series of chord and double stop strums, so there's a ton of notes to hit. 

Just for S&G I played Ducks for the first time since the first day.  Back then it took me three attempts to get to 500 points and I felt like the game was having issues.  Apparently I was just really terrible, because last night I increased my score....   wait for it.... 4000 %.  Yup, I only took one shot at it but scored just over 2 million points.  And I'm super weak down at the lower frets, so I know I still have a ton of room to improve.  That 10 mil doesn't seam so scary now.

• Like 2

So I only had about 20 minutes to practice yesterday. :(

But I dercided to make the most of it and practice stuff I knew fairly well.  Played 'Satisfaction' and increased my score about 25%.  Then played 'Next Girl' and ended up with a 97% accuracy and over 100k points.  I now qualify to play that song on master mode (and earned a trophy :)  )  Instead of jumping right on that, I played 'Go With The Flow' and got that to over 100k as well, for a 2nd shiny bronze.  I'm a lot lower accuracy on that one, but the whole song is a series of chord and double stop strums, so there's a ton of notes to hit. 

Just for S&G I played Ducks for the first time since the first day.  Back then it took me three attempts to get to 500 points and I felt like the game was having issues.  Apparently I was just really terrible, because last night I increased my score....   wait for it.... 4000 %.  Yup, I only took one shot at it but scored just over 2 million points.  And I'm super weak down at the lower frets, so I know I still have a ton of room to improve.  That 10 mil doesn't seam so scary now.

Do you have any DLC songs?  I m interested in Offspring , fallout boy (have played some songs on drums) , disturbed , system of a down ,  white stripes (seven nation army was first song i was able to play years ago xD) , Linkin Park . tenacious D (tribute .... lovely song) .

sadly there is no rammstein dlc :(

Do you have any DLC songs?  I m interested in Offspring , fallout boy (have played some songs on drums) , disturbed , system of a down ,  white stripes (seven nation army was first song i was able to play years ago xD) , Linkin Park . tenacious D (tribute .... lovely song) .

sadly there is no rammstein dlc :(

No DLC songs yet. I have the original version though, so there are far fewer available packs.  I would be interested in the Black Keys and Police packs.  There's a few others I'd definitely play, but not sure I actually want to spend extra money for.

Rocksmith 2014

I played again today after not playing for 2 weeks, which really sucked. But I got Blitzkrieg Bop to 100% Mastery by using the Riff Repeater. I know the song by heart, I just needed a boost of confidence after my "break". 

I did this for an hour though and didn't do much else. The next time I play, I hope to play one of the arcade games and try Score Attack again.

• Like 2

got to 86% on Blitzkrieg Bop by Ramones, this song is stupidly easy

Try it on emulated bass - it's even easier. 

If you want to make it harder, try it on rhythm which introduces the 2nd finger on the G string. Suddenly it's really hard again because you rarely use that power chord shape.

Been slacking, though I did get in a half hour or so the other night. Played The Pixies' "where is my mind" which I really like, and then did some of the tech challenges. Got the hopo's challenge to gold then did the double stop challenge, got it to gold after a couple tries, then worked on my palm muting. Only got to silver but I think I should be able to get that one up as I kind-of figured it out on my last attempt, I just ran out of time. 

Even on nights u don't turn the game on, I pick up the guitar and spend 20-30 minutes working through chord shapes and the fingerings while watching tv with my wife. It's not the same thing obviously, but at least I'm still working on calluses, flexibility, and finger speed . 

Hopefully I'll  get a chunk of time to practice tonight. 

It's raining trophies!

Ok, so it's only like 4, but for this game that's a lot in two days.

It's staying how much improvement you can make ehrn you actually practice more than 2 minutes every other day, who knew. :shrug:

So last night I sat down and played two new songs, neither of which I much cared for. Then I gave Scale Runner a shot. Improved on each of my runs and ended with a final score of 1.2 million. Did the 2ND one and got to about 600k on two attempts. There are 11 scales to practice, and I need an average of 4.6 mil for each one to hit the 50 million total for the game. It will probably be best to pick one scale and practice it until I get to or over the target score, rather than just try different ones each time.

I then played a few more tech challenges and made more improvement. One trophy for trying Scale Runner.

Had two sessions today for around 2 hrs total. I tried another new song and liked it enough to work on it a couple times. Then I did more tech. Finished the last three I needed and got a trophy for earning bronze them all. Went back and worked on the two I needed work on, got gold on those and got a silver trophy for all golds :) one part of the game done. :dance:

I then played Next Girl to stay sharp, and plugged in a mic to sing along for another trophy. Holy craps, it's amaxing how a little thing like singing along really screws up your concentraion when you dont have the entire song completely wired. I still did well, but dropped about 10k points and close to 10% accuracy. I spent the rest of my time with another new song that I really enjoyed playing. My fingers are pretty sensitive atm for the first time in a while.

Also, hit game rank 5.

• Like 1