Quintessential Games in a Given Genre

Drew-013

Hi All

A phrase that I hear thrown around a lot on these forums is "You're not a true fan of Genre Y unless you've played X". Which got me thinking to myself.. what 10 games would a "True fan" of any genre have to have played to be considered a true fan? While this notion may be a little ridiculous, at the end of the day play whatever you like and just because you haven't played X game doesn't mean you're not a true fan. But this is just for a little bit of fun.

An example I hear frequently is "You can't be a true fan of JRPGs unless you've played Persona 4 or Final Fantasy VII".

What are your guys thoughts on the 10 quintessential games for each genre that should be experienced by a fan? Or to be more relevant to the trophy hunting community, what 10 platinums or 100% in a genre that you'd expect a fan to have on their profile.

Note: This list is comprised only of PlayStation games with Trophy support

I'll update this first post as we start to gather any data and opinions:

GENRE:

ACTION ADVENTURE

1. Uncharted 2
  2. Tomb Raider
  3. inFamous
  4. The Last of Us
  5. Assassin's Creed II
  6. Batman Arkham City

ADVENTURE (Including Interactive Drama)

1. Heavy Rain
  2. Grim Fandango
  3. L.A. Noire

ART GAMES

1. Journey
  2. Flower
  3. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons

FIGHTING

1. Ultra Street Fighter IV
  2. Mortal Kombat X
  3. Tekken Tag Tournament

FPS (Includes FPS RPGs)

1. Bioshock
  2. Bioshock Infinite
  3. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
  4. Borderlands
  5. Far Cry 3
  6. Killzone 3

HACK AND SLASH

1. God of War
  2. Devil May Cry
  3. Ninja Gaiden SIgma
  4. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
  5. Bayonetta

HORROR

1. Resident Evil
  2. Outlast
  3. Dead Space

JRPG

1. Final Fantasy VII
  2. Persona 4
  3. Mugen Souls
  4. Final Fantasy XIII

METROIDVANIA

1. Nothing Yet

PLATFORMER

1. LittleBigPlanet

RPGS (Including Action RPGS, MMOs, Tactical RPGS and Sandbox RPGS)

1. Skyrim
  2. Fallout 3
  3. Dragon's Dogma
  4. Dark Souls

SHOOTER (Including Open World Shooters)

1. Grand Theft Auto 5
  2. Red Dead Redemption

SPORTS (Including Racing)

1. Gran Turismo 5
  2. Driveclub
  3. FIFA

STEALTH

1. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

STRATEGY

1. Nothing Yet

VISUAL NOVELS

1. Steins;Gate
  2. Zero Escape 2: Virtue's Last Reward
Edited by Drew-013
  • Like 1

None. If you like the genre and games in it, then you're a fan. You don't need to have played anything to be a "true fan" of anything. It's a hobby, not a test.

I completely agree, But that doesn't stop the phrase from being thrown around. Perhaps I should rename it the Top 10 quintessential games per genre or something similar.

• Like 1

None. If you like the genre and games in it, then you're a fan. You don't need to have played anything to be a "true fan" of anything. It's a hobby, not a test.

Was going to say the same thing :P

Come on guys this is just for a bit of fun  :)

I'll say. Your not a true fan of Hack n Slash if you haven't played God of War. 

• Like 1

I completely agree, But that doesn't stop the phrase from being thrown around. Perhaps I should rename it the Top 10 quintessential games per genre or something similar.

Maybe, or something like Must-Play games in a genre. At the end of the day it's your thread though ^^

Come on guys this is just for a bit of fun  :)

I know, and I was giving my opinion. That's kinda the point of the forum, after all

• Like 2

Indie is now a genre? O.o

I think for JRPG you should just say any FF or Persona game instead of a specific game.

Hmmm.. For Visual Novel... I nominate any of 2(3 in the future) of Zero Escape game ^_^

Edited by JaM
  • Like 1

Also, Indie Games isn't a genre.

Indie is now a genre? O.o

I do understand that Indie games aren't a Genre in themselves, but there are some definite examples of fantastic Indie games as a category, and I know people who are definitely fans of Indie games of all genres.

I'd expect to see games like: Journey, Flower, Brothers etc fill this list.

• Like 1

I do understand that Indie games aren't a Genre in themselves, but there are some definite examples of fantastic Indie games as a category, and I know people who are definitely fans of Indie games of all genres.

I'd expect to see games like: Journey, Flower, Brothers etc fill this list.

Fair enough. Some Indie games certainly are hard to categorize, as they are just "artsy" games. As for the horror section, you don't have to separate the 3 Resident Evil games. You can save room for others, and just simply put "Resident Evil".

Hmmm..

For Platformer it is obvious I think: any Mario platformer game

Fighting: tekken or SF or MK?

I'd Definitely rate Ultra SF IV or MKX, I do know that Tekken has been a huge hit for people, but which game specifically is THE Tekken game that outshines the rest?

Having RPG and JRPG is a bit odd given RPG covers JRPG and since "JRPG" and "WRPG" aren't genres.

For RPG I nominate Mugen Souls  :lol:

I guess I was trying to distinguish between the two, since although games like Witcher and Skyrim would fit along side Mugen Souls and Final Fantasy, Western RPGS and JRPGs have a very different feel about them, and very different fan bases.

• Like 1

And now for some musings that I'd like input on:

• The souls series; I feel like something from this series should grace the list somewhere (Presumably in Action/JRPG/Hack and Slash or Horror) - Question is Which game in which category?
  • Art Games: The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture - Would these make the cut
  • Platformer: LittleBigPlanet 2?
  • FPS: Call of Duty, I know these games are huge, and while I'm not a fan, there's a reason that they keep selling, does any entry in the CoD franchise deserve a spot here.
  • Adventure: Does one of the Tomb Raider games deserve a spot?
  • Heavy Rain - This game is huge, well regarded and was a great example of interactive cinema.. does it deserve a place on the list somewhere?

I'd Definitely rate Ultra SF IV or MKX, I do know that Tekken has been a huge hit for people, but which game specifically is THE Tekken game that outshines the rest?

I guess you are going to stick with the specific games.. does it needs to have a trophy? If not... I'd say Tekken 3... If with trophies... I'd say either TTT or TTT2

Grand Theft Auto. That can be either action, third person shooter or open world. And some others. You can decide  :)

Also I find Metal gear Solid to be more in the stealth genre. But up to you

The question here is how bogged down do we want to be in Genres? I'm trying to stick to the main over-arching genres.. though for a Genre like Stealth if we can get enough games to legitimately define it as a separate genre then I'm happy to branch out.

Grand Theft Auto. That can be either action, third person shooter or open world. And some others. You can decide  :)

Also I find Metal gear Solid to be more in the stealth genre. But up to you

The question is Which GTA game? Or do Multiple deserve a place on the list?

I guess you are going to stick with the specific games.. does it needs to have a trophy? If not... I'd say Tekken 3... If with trophies... I'd say either TTT or TTT2

Yeah I think sticking with specific games that have trophy support makes the thread kind of like a little check list of platinums and 100%s to work toward.

The question here is how bogged down do we want to be in Genres? I'm trying to stick to the main over-arching genres.. though for a Genre like Stealth if we can get enough games to legitimately define it as a separate genre then I'm happy to branch out.

Here is a list of all possible genres for you to consider boss. I'd say the more the better

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_game_genres

And now for some musings that I'd like input on:

• The souls series; I feel like something from this series should grace the list somewhere (Presumably in Action/JRPG/Hack and Slash or Horror) - Question is Which game in which category?
  • Art Games: The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture - Would these make the cut
  • Platformer: LittleBigPlanet 2?
  • FPS: Call of Duty, I know these games are huge, and while I'm not a fan, there's a reason that they keep selling, does any entry in the CoD franchise deserve a spot here.
  • Adventure: Does one of the Tomb Raider games deserve a spot?
  • Heavy Rain - This game is huge, well regarded and was a great example of interactive cinema.. does it deserve a place on the list somewhere?

One of the Souls games definitely needs to go under RPG. Going by popularity alone (and since the others would be clumped into it by name recognition) I'd choose Dark Souls.

Yes, Call of Duty should be on there. I don't know which is considered the best. But again, popularity alone, I'd guess MW2?

Tomb Raider should be under Action or Adventure (what's the difference, I never know?).

Decided to borrow your format and list some games from the Popular Games list. A lot of these might be misplaced though, as I haven't played all of them. :unsure:

GENRE:

ACTION

• Metal Gear Solid
  • Grand Theft Auto
  • Red Dead Redemption
  • Borderlands
  • Saints Row
  • Watch Dogs

ADVENTURE

• Uncharted
  • inFamous
  • The Last of Us
  • Assassin's Creed
  • Batman
  • Tomb Raider
  • Just Cause
  • Sleeping Dogs

ART GAMES

• Journey
  • Flower
  • Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons

FIGHTING

• Street Fighter
  • Mortal Kombat
  • Tekken

FPS

• BioShock
  • Call of Duty
  • Battlefield
  • Killzone
  • Destiny
  • Far Cry
  • Resistance

HACK AND SLASH

• God of War
  • Devil May Cry
  • Ninja Gaiden SIgma
  • Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
  • Bayonetta

HORROR

• Resident Evil
  • Outlast
  • Dead Spce

JRPG

• Final Fantasy
  • Persona
  • Mugen Souls

PLATFORMER

1. LittleBigPlanet

RACING

1. Gran Turismo
  2. Burnout
  3. WipEout
  4. Need for Speed

RPG (Western)

• The Elder Scrolls
  • Fallout
  • Souls

STRATEGY

VISUAL NOVELS

• Steins;Gate
  • Zero Escape

Updating the lists as I go!

I'm mostly looking forward to each category having 10 games, and that's when things get interesting, having to justify why a game deserves a spot over another. Or why one game in a franchise is more relevant than another, or even why one game should be higher ranked than another.

Edited by Drew-013