Rumor: LEGO Star Wars: Episode VII

First line is pretty much my fear. I was disappointed when Hobbit DLC failed to take shape and they left the trilogy incomplete (avoided purchasing because of it), and Episode 7 will definitely be paper thin for being based on a single movie, though they'll probably squeeze in some orig trilogy stuff to fill the gaps, even though they've done full games based on them.

Also you're the first person that I've come across that agrees with the voice acting. While I haven't played all the previous LEGO Star Wars games (however I do own them), I have played the Harry Potter games, the first Batman game and Pirates of the Caribbean, and I love the humour that comes from lack of voice acting, the communication through other means had incredible charm. LOTR, the first voice acted one I believe, is probably my least favourite, and the only LEGO game I've truly loved since voice acting came in was LEGO movie. They've only been so so otherwise, in my opinion.

I'm probably gonna wait for a complete trilogy edition if they do one, once all 3 movies are out (and of course, made into games).

Well, there's going to be a fucking season pass on top of this wafer thin game, so I'm really disappointed now. How the mighty have fallen.

• Like 1

Yay, EB here are selling the game for one hundred and ten fucking dollars with a season pass and whatnot.

The smallest Lego game yet, is going for ONE HUNDRED AND TEN DOLLARS.

Earlier today my girlfriend gave into temptation and bought Lego Avengers despite me insisting on waiting and buying it preowned, to deny these greedy assholes more revenue, I want to go return the game now after finding out they're pulling this shit (but you can't return to Target unless it's broken) ...

So let's recap

Batman Lego 3 had a 20 something dollar season pass, on top of the 90 dollar at launch RRP game.

Lego Marvel 1 had a few DLC characters and stuff for 5 bucks a pop.

Avengers has a season pass I believe.

Lego Dimensions is 120 if you're lucky and each additional set is 30 bones as well.

And now, they're making a whole game, dedicated to basically one movie, including on top of that a season pass that will probably be another 20 bucks, and they're charging full retail.

What the fuck happened to Lego games coming out, with a bunch of levels, and a bunch of characters, and that being the end of it? Even though most of the characters in these games are just reskins, when they're all included out of the box you get a tremendous feeling of value, however, making us pay 20 bucks for 5 or 6 extra reskins just makes me want you to burn. Just when I thought I couldn't get anymore disappointed in these guys.

Also, while I'm here, we played about an hour or so of Lego Avengers today, and here's the thing with the voice acting. In the old games, I preferred it without voice overs, Darth Vader pointing to a photo of him and pregnant Padme, mumbling and pointing at her stomach, and then pointing to Luke, instead of just saying "I am your father" is one of the funniest things I've ever seen in a game. However, the first game I really REALLY got into with the addition of the voices, was Lego Marvel 1, and I thought the voice work was superb. The problem with Lego Marvel 2 (or Lego Avengers as they called it) is they used the voices and lines of the characters in the movies word for word most of the way, the problem with this is you know EVERY SINGLE WORD that is going to be said long before it's said and since the clips are unskippable there's nothing at all to be gained from this, no witty additional comments or anything, just the same script I've heard a bunch of times before (I, like everyone else I know, really liked The Avengers, I've seen it a bunch, odds are I remembered most of the lines by now, look at my fucking avatar, of course I like superhero shit). Rant over, or at least, rant paused until someone quotes me and makes me rant back.

• Like 3

What the fuck happened to Lego games coming out, with a bunch of levels, and a bunch of characters, and that being the end of it? Even though most of the characters in these games are just reskins, when they're all included out of the box you get a tremendous feeling of value, however, making us pay 20 bucks for 5 or 6 extra reskins just makes me want you to burn. Just when I thought I couldn't get anymore disappointed in these guys.

Fixed that for you.

• Like 1

Fixed that for you.

I'm aware that what I'm saying can generally be applied to all games/every other person's ramblings about DLC culture.

BUT, I find it even more appropriate to be disappointed by Lego doing it nowadays. I remember in the day playing the demo for Lego Star Wars 2 and seeing there was so many characters in the game, that was half the reason I bought it in the first place, because it included so much stuff. This was the same in every subsequent game. For years. But then, "Hey, let's just delay the release of some of our levels that would have otherwise been in the game and do a season pass like everyone else" happened. DLC is fine. Bullshit DLC is tolerable. Season pass/DLC packs that include stuff that you know would have otherwise been in the game are the worst.

• Like 1

I'm aware that what I'm saying can generally be applied to all games/every other person's ramblings about DLC culture.

BUT, I find it even more appropriate to be disappointed by Lego doing it nowadays. I remember in the day playing the demo for Lego Star Wars 2 and seeing there was so many characters in the game, that was half the reason I bought it in the first place, because it included so much stuff. This was the same in every subsequent game. For years. But then, "Hey, let's just delay the release of some of our levels that would have otherwise been in the game and do a season pass like everyone else" happened. DLC is fine. Bullshit DLC is tolerable. Season pass/DLC packs that include stuff that you know would have otherwise been in the game are the worst.

I agree with pretty much with everything you said, but I wanted to focus on that last sentence.

DLC isn't a bad idea in principle. But, when every company starts acting as if they're going to jail for not including one (or 30) packs in their games... I start getting a little weary. Even the Japanese recently started getting in on it. DLC should be reserved for good ideas the developers had after the game initially launched that would actually add to the main game, not greedy exploitative bullshit that comes in the dozens.

Honestly, practices in the Industry are going south so fast, if it goes down even further, I might someday just quit getting new games altogether and just focus on the old ones, where, you know, everything was included on the disc from the start. It's not very likely, but nevertheless possible.

(I know I've been rambling against DLC a lot lately, but I find it hard not to with this increasingly ever-present trend of overpriced unnecessary DLC/Season Passes/Pre-Order bonus crap).

• 5 months later...

Do you work for TT? No? Then how do you know the levels weren't developed after the game released. Likewise, the base games still have plenty of characters despite having season passes if LEGO Batman 3 is anything to go off. That game had loads of them. Speaking of Batman 3, the DLC levels probably wouldn't have been included if they weren't DLC. The LEGO forumla is generally 15 levels + 1 bonus, which is exactly what Batman 3 was, and then there were extra levels offered as DLC so the tried and tested formula wasn't affected in any way.

While I'm not overly fond of the price of the Batman 3 Season Pass, or the Marvel Avengers one (I haven't checked to see how much the Star Wars one is, but I imagine it's the same), I see nothing wrong with the DLC itself because there's still plenty of meat in the base game. Make the season pass a bit cheaper and I'd say it's a great deal.

Also, about your earlier rant about this only covering a single movie, it's not exactly the first time. Hobbit and Indiana Jones 2 were the same, and Indiana Jones 2 was quite lengthy if I remember right (or at least the DS version was).

Old post, but I felt this needed to be said.