"We Love The Plat" Discussion Topic

Omar

Thank you all kindly for you words, I have some cool ideas for the series going forward and I hope you stay tuned to it! In the meantime, I'll offer you some questions based on this first article, feel free to answer them here if you want to ^_^

1 - How did you become a trophy hunter? Were you a completionist before the trophy era?

2 - If you had to label yourself as trophy hunter, which labels would you pick? Do you care about rarity, speed, completion, trophy volume, etc...?

3 - What matters to you the most: trophy hunting or having fun while gaming? Do you usually endure trophy requirements that you don't have fun dealing with?

Again, thank you to those who took their time to read through the article! xD

• Like 3

Thank you all kindly for you words, I have some cool ideas for the series going forward and I hope you stay tuned to it! In the meantime, I'll offer you some questions based on this first article, feel free to answer them here if you want to ^_^

1 - How did you become a trophy hunter? Were you a completionist before the trophy era?

2 - If you had to label yourself as trophy hunter, which labels would you pick? Do you care about rarity, speed, completion, trophy volume, etc...?

3 - What matters to you the most: trophy hunting or having fun while gaming? Do you usually endure trophy requirements that you don't have fun dealing with?

1. I have been gaming since ap. 16-17 years now. Since then, I've considered myself a completionist for the sole reason of getting my money's worth.

In my opinion, you don't fully experience most games unless you go beyond beating the story for the first time and try all the ins n' outs the item offers. I found myself becoming a trophy hunter when the trophies themselves served as a direct connection to what I used to do before (i.e finding collectibles, exploring, etc). Particularly, this happened to me when I was playing Resident Evil 5. I always liked to have all treasures, all guns fully modified, etc. since 4 came out (which I must mention I dedicated almost 250 hours on the Wii version doing some challenge runs, unlocking glitches, etc...you get the point).

And so, I found that a lot of trophies were entwined with stuff I would have probably done one way or another. It wasn't a hard transition to start hunting for the little fellas and imo most of the time they add more significance to your own sense of accomplishment, which, as a gamer, is absolutely welcomed.

2. That is a kind of hard question for me. I would simply call myself a completionist. However, I do not strive to obtain every single trophy if it is out of my hands or if it requires extra money (DLC). As I mentioned before, I would call myself a completionist gamer and so, platinums come in the way haha.

Taking my title into account, I do care about rarity solely because I've found there's a bit of relationship between rarity and either difficulty or popularity. Non-popular games are like eye-candy for me, as it is a potential ground for finding hidden gems (and I'm a sucker for those). As for difficulty, I like gaining some skill at a difficult genre sometimes. 

All in all, I guess the most important aspect for me is getting all base trophies in a game and if it's satisfying for my tastes, go beyond the plat and conquer even more extra, non trophy-related stuff.

3. Having fun while gaming all the way. I despise wasting my time with easy but boring games or enduring long hours for a trophy if I don't like the game. If any of those happens and the game trophy list is there, I simply leave it there with a low percentage and sell the game back if possible. This doesn't mean every game I have with low percentage has become unappealing for me. That's simply backlog and time issues.

I'm guilty of charge when you ask if I've had fun with every trophy requirement. Absolutely not, sometimes I wonder why the heck I did what I did, but the answer comes with a mix of some OCD: The game is so freaking fun for me I can't leave it incomplete. However, I do have a time-limit for these. If it exceeds 190 hours doing nothing else but getting a trophy which won't make you develop your gaming skills any further, I don't go for it and I simply play the game for fun, not caring if I complete the list or not.

That's pretty much it.

• Like 1

1. I've been a trophy hunter since I got my PS3. LittleBigPlanet 1 was the first game I had that had trophies in it. I guess I liked earning them as before I joined PSN, I had nearly platted Lego Pirates of the Caribbean PS3 with only 1 trophy left which was beating a level in co-op. ( I never did platinum that game)! Also Lego Harry Potter Years 1-4 which was at a 80% something rate,  And yeah for some games I did try getting collectibles and 100%ing it before I had a PS3. So I was sorta of a completionist back then but not as much as now.

2. I'd say speed running is a label that I associate myself with. Same with completion rate as I plan to reach 80%-90% this year and reach 100% at least once in my trophy hunting days. I like speed running as it shows I'm capable of platting games fast but not every game I do speed running haha. Though I do like to lower my rarity from my trophy collection to at least a 47% and get more Ultra Rare trophies! And platinums as well but I'm pretty happy with how I am currently.

3. Well I do like doing them both at the same time but having fun has to come first as that's the reason why I game at all! If a game becomes boring or grindy for me, I backlog it for a while then come back to and earn the trophies I left. That way I experience fun games for a while before putting myself back into that certain game. And sometimes like that Navigate Like Drake trophy in Sly 4 was pretty annoying or completing all challenges in Sly 3 wasn't that fun for me but I endured through it. But usually no. However I do have some incomplete stuff on my profile that I'm not too excited to return to haha like Injustice PS3 or Knack PS4.

Those are my responses to your 3 questions above and I hope that they were good enough.

• Like 1

That's pretty much it.

Those are my responses to your 3 questions above and I hope that they were good enough.

Thank you both for your contributions! Dante, those answers were awesome so don't worry! :D

Also, if anyone has tried to access the site during the weekend, you'll have noticed that it has been down. I apologize for the inconvenience, the site is now back up and running so you can read the first of "We Love :platinum: " if you still haven't done so ^_^

If anyone else wants to share their answers to the questions I posted, I'll gladly read them xD

Edited by Omar
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Ladies and gentlemen, it's been two weeks! And you know what that means........a new We Love The Plat is out!  :awesome:

You can give it a read here! --> #2 - Hottest Trophy Sets Of The Month (March 2016)

I will add the link to the original post! Have you played or are you playing any of the games mentioned? If there are other tips you want to give fellow trophy hunters with those games feel free to do so here! I hope you enjoy ^_^ 

1. In 2010 when I got my Ps3 I remember one day just wanting to find some info online about trophies and found Ps3 trophies .com and was active there for a while and went on to get my first plat in may 2010. The rest is history.

2. I try to have a variety. I care about rarity some, speed, not really. Completion, trying to be a little better about completing games I have started. Trophy volume, Oh yeah. I love getting more trophies.

3. I have sacrificed fun quite a few times to push through to get certain trophies. In the end it is rewarding though. I have sacrificed fun a few times to push through in crappy games just to be done with them. Having fun is still the priority. When trophies become more important than I'll have to re asses my reasons for gaming.

Very nice reads and will try to read each entry into the series.

Edited by snakebit10
  • Like 1

Finished reading it. I wanted to start saying your grammar was a total joy to read.

Very nice my friend :yay:

The Division looks tricky to boost at first, but if you have the opportunity to go rogue at first level, it can be easily manageable if either you or your partner create a dummy account.

However, I am merely assuming stuff because I haven't played it yet.

The game itself looks really addicting in my opinion (I'm a sucker for shooters xD). Also, the general insight that you offer felt spot-on to prepare any trophy hunter for what is to come, same for the other games.

On the other hand, Salt and Sanctuary has caught my eye since our bud mah2c posted a video of it on his platinum checklist. A soul game is almost a must buy for me too. It's appealing to see that they kept some of the usual maneuvers, especially dodging which is crucial in any of those. It maintains the essence of the games, it makes you feel alert, vulnerable, etc.

Again, very nice article. I'm thrilled to see what you have in store for us next.

• Like 1

1. In 2010 when I got my Ps3 I remember one day just wanting to find some info online about trophies and found Ps3 trophies .com and was active there for a while and went on to get my first plat in may 2010. The rest is history.

2. I try to have a variety. I care about rarity some, speed, not really. Completion, trying to be a little better about completing games I have started. Trophy volume, Oh yeah. I love getting more trophies.

3. I have sacrificed fun quite a few times to push through to get certain trophies. In the end it is rewarding though. I have sacrificed fun a few times to push through in crappy games just to be done with them. Having fun is still the priority. When trophies become more important than I'll have to re asses my reasons for gaming.

Very nice reads and will try to read each entry into the series.

Thank you for the kind words, and for taking the time to answer the questions. I have also sacrificed fun sometimes but only for worthy achievements! xD

Finished reading it. I wanted to start saying your grammar was a total joy to read.

Very nice my friend :yay:

The Division looks tricky to boost at first, but if you have the opportunity to go rogue at first level, it can be easily manageable if either you or your partner create a dummy account.

However, I am merely assuming stuff because I haven't played it yet.

The game itself looks really addicting in my opinion (I'm a sucker for shooters xD). Also, the general insight that you offer felt spot-on to prepare any trophy hunter for what is to come, same for the other games.

On the other hand, Salt and Sanctuary has caught my eye since our bud mah2c posted a video of it on his platinum checklist. A soul game is almost a must buy for me too. It's appealing to see that they kept some of the usual maneuvers, especially dodging which is crucial in any of those. It maintains the essence of the games, it makes you feel alert, vulnerable, etc.

Again, very nice article. I'm thrilled to see what you have in store for us next.

Thank you my friend, I'm happy to know you enjoyed my writing, I hope you stick around for further entries! Salt and Sanctuary is a game a first learnt about at PSX last December. I didn't pay much attention to it, but looking at the trophies and hearing about it from my friends Joe and Marcelo made me do a little research. That's when I noticed the game was worth a mention! ^_^

Nice article Omar. I've been interested in Salt & Sanctuary after finding out it's similar to the Souls games. Watched some gameplay vids from Mah2c and it looks great.

Thank you Dragon! I feel like Salt and Sanctuary came out right in the perfect moment, while Souls fans are thirsty for the next entry. The game looks fun, tricky and intense, and it can be the perfect appetizer for Dark Souls 3 :D

By the way, I'm gathering ideas for topics I could cover for April's themed article, let me know if you think of something and I may consider talking about it (next month or in upcoming months) :highfive:

Edited by Omar
  • Like 1

Thank you Dragon! I feel like Salt and Sanctuary came out right in the perfect moment, while Souls fans are thirsty for the next entry. The game looks fun, tricky and intense, and it can be the perfect appetizer for Dark Souls 3 :D

By the way, I'm gathering ideas for topics I could cover for April's themed article, let me know if you think of something and I may consider talking about it (next month or in upcoming months) :highfive:

Yeah I agree with you on that. 

Awesome, I'll see if I can come up with some ideas. Should it be anything specific, for example trophies, games, trophy hunting events, or guides?

Edited by Dragon-Archon
  • Like 1

Great read! I really think The Division looks great and do want to get it eventually. The platinum hopefully will be achieve-able for me! I did play Beyond a few years ago when I rented it for 2 days and taught it was good. ( The reason why I didn't buy it was I had the PS4 pre ordered with Killzone Shadow Fall at the time haha). I do plan on buying it on PS4 soon with Heavy Rain.

• Like 1

I really would like to see a piece on what makes the trophy hunters who go for the rarest plats ticks. I like going for Ur and rare plats sometimes but I just couldn't see me doing it all the time.

Rarity is something that I will definitely address in WLTP, so look forward to it! ^_^ 

As before, a fun read!

Also really appreciate your spoiler alert... as I haven't yet played Beyond: Two Souls yet.

Thank you!! I found out about the spoilery descriptions by reading those of the Heavy Rain trophies I already got. When I read them I was like "what the heck!? If I had read this before doing it I'd have been pissed!" xD

Yeah I agree with you on that. 

Awesome, I'll see if I can come up with some ideas. Should it be anything specific, for example trophies, games, trophy hunting events, or guides?

The ideas I am looking for at the moment are general aspects to trophy hunting, such as rarity chasing, annoyance, trophy boosting, completionism, etc :D

Great read! I really think The Division looks great and do want to get it eventually. The platinum hopefully will be achieve-able for me! I did play Beyond a few years ago when I rented it for 2 days and taught it was good. ( The reason why I didn't buy it was I had the PS4 pre ordered with Killzone Shadow Fall at the time haha). I do plan on buying it on PS4 soon with Heavy Rain.

Thank you Dante! I haven't played Beyond: Two Souls yet, but I'm playing through Heavy Rain Remastered and I am LOVING it, so I hope B2S is just as good (even though I've been told it isn't xD)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Great read! And I definitely agree about the feeling of seeing a game completed at 100%. :)

And I'm a completionist now as I usually platinum/100% most games I play but I have some incomplete stuff that I took a break from because they weren't that fun for me or they just got boring and for me, I trophy hunt to have fun, not to be stressed out if I can't do something certain in a game! So if a game is boring to me or is just plain grindy or hard, I take a break from it for a while until I play some other better games so I can focus my attention on it.

I also do care a lot for my completion rate and I feel like I'm doing really good so far. Last year in June, I hit the 60% mark on my completion rate and now I'm already at a 77.67% completion rate! :o And I'm aiming for this year to reach 80-90% completion rate. As for 100%, I'd like to at least once in my trophy hunting days but I don't expect to last for long as I always start up new games and plus it would take me a while to even reach there as I have some hard games (At least for me) on my trophy list like Injustice, SCV, Warframe, Retro City Rampage, Foosball 2012, etc. But I'm happy as long as I complete all my online trophies off my games.

Anyways I hope those answers are satisfactory enough and reveal on what kind of a completionist I am.

Edited by DanteHellMode98
  • Like 1

I like how you said only completionists understand why 100%ing everything is important. I think it's the mentality of challenge of earning trophies vs fun of playing video games. Those who can find the best of both worlds end up being the best completionists IMO.

• Like 1

Nice read again man. I'm definitely not in the completionist category. If a game is terrible there's no way I'll continue to play it. Also,  I can't stand playing easy games just for the trophies. The funny thing is,  every time I've started a game because I thought it was easy and fast,  I've burned out and walked away. 

I don't mind doing a bit of mp if the single player was good,  same with a bit of grinding. But I refuse to purchase DLC I don't actually want to play just for the extra % points. Hell,  I have all the MGR DLC,  and while I will eventually go do Blade wolf and Sam's mission,  I'll never do the VR missions because they're just not interesting. 

I started about two years ago with under 50%, and I'm just about at my all time goal of ~75%.  If it gets higher or lower than that I'm not too worried though,  it'll go up AND down again. 

• Like 1

Great read! And I definitely agree about the feeling of seeing a game completed at 100%. :)

And I'm a completionist now as I usually platinum/100% most games I play but I have some incomplete stuff that I took a break from because they weren't that fun for me or they just got boring and for me, I trophy hunt to have fun, not to be stressed out if I can't do something certain in a game! So if a game is boring to me or is just plain grindy or hard, I take a break from it for a while until I play some other better games so I can focus my attention on it.

I also do care a lot for my completion rate and I feel like I'm doing really good so far. Last year in June, I hit the 60% mark on my completion rate and now I'm already at a 77.67% completion rate! :o And I'm aiming for this year to reach 80-90% completion rate. As for 100%, I'd like to at least once in my trophy hunting days but I don't expect to last for long as I always start up new games and plus it would take me a while to even reach there as I have some hard games (At least for me) on my trophy list like Injustice, SCV, Warframe, Retro City Rampage, Foosball 2012, etc. But I'm happy as long as I complete all my online trophies off my games.

Anyways I hope those answers are satisfactory enough and reveal on what kind of a completionist I am.

Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed it! And nice way to view things, quite similar to what I do. I take breaks from long grinds and come back to them at a later date to avoid feeling too overwhelmend by them. I cleanse the palate with other games and then return with renewed drive xD

Also, nice completion progress Dante, you are on fire! 

Nice, Omar.  ;)

With all that talk about multiplayer & PvP, I was expecting to see something about boosting... :hmm:  but I figure that's probably saved for a future episode.  ^_^

Keep it up! :yay:  :platinum:

Thank you for reading, I'm glad you enjoyed it ^_^ I will address what is earning trophies legitimately and what isn't in another WLTP, so I'm saving my thoughts on boosting for now :D

I like how you said only completionists understand why 100%ing everything is important. I think it's the mentality of challenge of earning trophies vs fun of playing video games. Those who can find the best of both worlds end up being the best completionists IMO.

Over the years I have had the pleasure of being friends with trophy hunters of all sorts. It is easy to spot who is a completionist and who isn't just looking at how the talk about trophies. Completionists take for granted they will have to do absolutely everything a game has to offer. Within completionists, there are also degrees. Some people are fully willing to let go of enjoying their gaming for the sake of completion, while others make some concessions, but not too many. In my case, I can endure some ugly stuff, but definitely not all of it for the sake of completion.

Nice read again man. I'm definitely not in the completionist category. If a game is terrible there's no way I'll continue to play it. Also,  I can't stand playing easy games just for the trophies. The funny thing is,  every time I've started a game because I thought it was easy and fast,  I've burned out and walked away. 

I don't mind doing a bit of mp if the single player was good,  same with a bit of grinding. But I refuse to purchase DLC I don't actually want to play just for the extra % points. Hell,  I have all the MGR DLC,  and while I will eventually go do Blade wolf and Sam's mission,  I'll never do the VR missions because they're just not interesting. 

I started about two years ago with under 50%, and I'm just about at my all time goal of ~75%.  If it gets higher or lower than that I'm not too worried though,  it'll go up AND down again. 

Thanks mate, glad you enjoyed it ^_^ you don't really need to worry about completion because you are doing pretty well! For not being a completionist, you have a nice ratio :D

You probably pay attention to other parameters (difficulty, rarity, simply games you want to play, etc....) and in playing what you enjoy, you usually get to platinum or 100%, which indirectly boosts your completion rate without giving it much though xD

In my case, I am certainly a completionist, but not a fully-geared one because, if I dedicated the gaming time I have just to boost completion, I'd end up all depressed lol

• Like 2