Project Platinum: Level-5

zadorvp

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
On 8/23/2016 at 6:41 AM, zadorvp said:

Now if only you would get the Rogue Galaxy platinum, then you would be the first one to earn a bonus award from this PP xD

I've got the Rogue Galaxy platinum now, too.  That makes six, with RG joining Dark Cloud 1, Dark Cloud 2, White Knight 1, White Knight 2, and Ni No Kuni.

My review?  Rogue Galaxy is a catastrophe of a game:

The camera sucks.

The AI is beyond idiotic -- far too often the best setting is to tell the AI characters to "do nothing".

There's an objectively best party, which should never be the case in a game where they give you that many characters to play around with.

Battles are either obscenely easy or obnoxiously aggravating, depending on whether you can sweep the field clean with an AoE attack.

Whose idea was it to change things up by having some enemies shielded or barrier'd or jump-to-hit as opposed to simply roadkill?

Most boss battles can be cheesed in one precise way.

The bonus dungeon?  It's repetitive.... and tedious.... and repetititive.  Time consuming, but not difficult.

Insectron is a boring waste of time that contributes nothing to the main game.  And the computer AI was so crummy that I had several cheap-o wins in the "S" rank of the tournament due to its stupidity.

Grinding to Level 99 for a bronze trophy was simply an excess 10 hours of running in circles spamming Supernova.  And it could have been worse, because there are several other ways that the game could have padded the trophy hunt.

The characters are bland and one-dimensional at best.  It would be an insult to actual cardboard to call these characters cardboard cutouts.

The story/plot is craptacular with major holes that never really get addressed, even in spots where it ought to be important to explain things.

Listening to the characters whine as you run around the map gets obnoxious after the first chapter or so.  And there's only 12 chapters left after that.... with the characters sporting the same half-dozen lines of dialogue that they pick seemingly at random, even when they contradict each other (or what they said just ten seconds earlier).

So why did I play this game through to completion?  Three reasons:

1.  If you go through my profile, I'm a bit OCD about finishing my games.  So it goes here.

2.  It's not the worst purchase in the world for $5, which is what I paid for it during a Flash Sale about a year ago.  It's not the best purchase, but I probably got my money's worth.

3.  I've got too many similar-ish games at the top of my backlog (Star Ocean: Integrity and Faithlessness, Tales of Zestiria, Final Fantasy Type-0), so I might as well have finished this one before starting another similar-ish game.  Right?

2 stars out of 5.  Tops.