Final Fantasy: Lightning Returns (FFXIII-3)

http://kotaku.com/5939779/the-next-final-fantasy

Final Fantasy XIII heroine Lightning will be back in a new game, Square-Enix announced today. Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII. This one is going to be a very different Final Fantasy.

Series director Motomu Toriyama began a presentation in Tokyo by showing an image of a rose, saying roses have many meanings. He then said that this game is the conclusion of Lightning's saga. (No, we're not sure what that means either!)

Toriyama said Lightning will make her comeback, returning as a stronger character than she was in the first two games, FF XIII and FF XIII-2. Lightning is going to face her final battle, so he asked the character designer to convey the power in her eyes. It's the end of her trilogy of games.

Full sizecustomizatio.jpg

From the start, Toriyama described features little seen in Japan's renowned role-playing game series. The game will offer players a lot of ways to customize their version of Lightning. Her outfits will be about more than just aesthetics. They affect her abilities.

Character control will be more dynamic. She'll be able to hang off ledges, pull herself up, jump, duck behind corners. You'll be able to move her around in battle, a first, they said, for the series.

xlarge.pngDuring the presentation, we got a look at what might be the first screenshot of the new game. (If not, then it's a concept piece.)

Full sizeart_1.jpg

We also saw some concept art that begins to illustrate how different this game is from the standard FF game. The world of Lightning Returns runs in real-time. When the game begins, the world, called Nobus (Novus?) Partus, is 13 days away from the end. She has 13 days and 13 nights to save humanity. The game runs on a doomsday clock, shades of The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask.

xlarge.jpgThe whole game runs on a time-of-day system, with a monorail that moves through it on schedule, like everything else in the world—you can get stuck in one region waiting for the monorail to take you to another island.

The game world touches on three themes: gothic, mechanical and fantasy.

The game will be out for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 in 2013.

xlarge.jpg.

But wait, there's more!

Concept art galore...

Full sizebuildings_640x360.jpg

Full sizeobjects_640x360.jpg

Full sizephoneshit_640x360.jpg

Full sizetrains_640x360.jpg

Full sizeluxerton_640x360.jpg

Ehh, if this is even better than XIII-2 is (which I haven't played, but have heard is way better than XIII), then I'm all for it.

• Like 2

As much as I dislike the FF XIII 'series', I can already see myself picking this up. It's really bad, but I just keep hoping that FF suddenly returns to former glory.

They seem to be getting ever so slightly better with each game, if that even means anything. XIII with hindsight was just apocalyptically bad, while XIII-2 was at least somewhat fun to play, even though the story and storytelling were still a terrible mess.

I really do hope this is the last game in the Lightning 'saga'.

ive heard that they will only make FFX HD remake based on the sales of FF XIII-3

I may be the only person who actually enjoyed the FF 13 style and story... I haven't played XIII-2 yet because i have a huge backlog but i plan on playing it in about a month or two... That said, I will be getting XIII-3 on day one... not just to support one of my favorite franchises but also because i feel like it is quality gaming as well as it might boost the chances to get FFX HD remake...

Not every FF game was a masterpiece but i still want to support them for the simple fact that they DO make quality games and they will switch up the battle system again for the next gen of Final Fantasy because they always switch it up as they want to make every Final Fantasy a new experience... we just have to be patient which im sorry but gamers now days just don't have that virtue because of the quantity of games we are being spoon fed...

ok... i'll get off my soap box now, lol

who knows... XIII-3 might be different... but all the naysayers won't find out

• Like 3

wow I was hoping they would reveal something for versus 13, I liked XIII and XIII-2, they are not the best, not even close, but I liked them, and this one seems promising, all that world driven thing it's interesting, let's just see what they have for us, don't crucify the game just yet, wait for some gameplay and trailers

Edited by entimecago

Actually, gameplay is the least of my concerns. The biggest problem of XIII in terms of gameplay was without a doubt its linearity. XIII-2 somewhat remedied that while retaining the fun, fast paced combat system (hated by so many people). My biggest problem with these games is the clumsy way the creators chose to tell this already convoluted story, and the superflat two-dimensional characters, whose main purpose seems to be the promotion of SQEX fashion accessories, rather than having an interesting personality and/or being relatable. In my humble opinion, FF XIII and XIII-2 have some of the worst storytelling and characters I've ever encountered in any game.

I can only hope SQEX takes another baby step towards the right direction with 'XIII-3'.

• 3 months later...

ive heard that they will only make FFX HD remake based on the sales of FF XIII-3

I may be the only person who actually enjoyed the FF 13 style and story... I haven't played XIII-2 yet because i have a huge backlog but i plan on playing it in about a month or two... That said, I will be getting XIII-3 on day one... not just to support one of my favorite franchises but also because i feel like it is quality gaming as well as it might boost the chances to get FFX HD remake...

Not every FF game was a masterpiece but i still want to support them for the simple fact that they DO make quality games and they will switch up the battle system again for the next gen of Final Fantasy because they always switch it up as they want to make every Final Fantasy a new experience... we just have to be patient which im sorry but gamers now days just don't have that virtue because of the quantity of games we are being spoon fed...

ok... i'll get off my soap box now, lol

who knows... XIII-3 might be different... but all the naysayers won't find out

you wasn't the only one, I enjoyed it too, sure it wasn't better than other FFs but still it was fun and by far more beautiful than any other FF (due to the graphics) , I have played XIII-2 and though it's good too I like XIII better, XIII-2 is confusing and short.

you wasn't the only one, I enjoyed it too, sure it wasn't better than other FFs but still it was fun and by far more beautiful than any other FF (due to the graphics) , I have played XIII-2 and though it's good too I like XIII better, XIII-2 is confusing and short.

XIII-2 in a way was like X-2, because you were allowed to travel throughout different places and complete different stuff in each section. And half the stuff wasn't even necessary to beat the game. The one thing I disliked about XIII-2 was the graphics weren't AS good as FFXIII's.

• Like 1

I am looking forward to this, even tho I still haven't finished FFXIII or FFXIII-2. One day I will get back to it and by the time i do, I will have 3 games to complete.

This is exactly my situation, I've started XIII twice now and not once have I finished it yet, though I own XIII-2 so I need to complete them both for when this arrives.

i played through the story of XIII-2 and really enjoyed it... I haven't gone back to get the platinum yet but im sure i will some day... my backlog hasn't really allowed me to do the extra grinding, lol... ive been trying to move on unless it has really drawn my attention... from what i understand i should only have about 30 hours left... maybe next year...

I still stand firm on getting any Final Fantasy that comes out... not only to support the franchise but to also play a quality JRPG...

PS: Final Fantays XIV: A Realm Reborn looks amazing... day one purchase for me as well