Signature Battle II [RESULTS!]

DEMON

Signature Battle II  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Vote for your favorite Pro Entry:

2. 2. Vote for your favorite Novice Entry:

cmgravekeeper got to pick the renders for this month, he decided to go with the theme of big boobs and guns (might as well say this is a teaser/practice for the next SOTM theme ;)).

bIFw9IZ.png

70f9ea1100.png

LMAO, cmg was actually serious :D. I see the guns, but not the boobs in the Bayonetta render :huh:?

• Like 3

If you know the character, you know she has big boobs.  :P

She's actually a very good character for this kind of theme. xD I have to admit though, I like her appearance from the first game better (nice render though).

Edited by Masamune
  • Like 1

:hmm: I feel like the Novice render should be the Pro and vice versa.

Simply because there feels like there's a lot less to work with on the Lara Croft one as opposed to the Bayonetta one... Which means Bayo surely should be the one given to the people with less skill because there's more they'd be allowed to do with it. I think I wrote that in an understandable manner... maybe...

• Like 1

Simply because there feels like there's a lot less to work with on the Lara Croft one as opposed to the Bayonetta one... Which means Bayo surely should be the one given to the people with less skill because there's more they'd be allowed to do with it. I think I wrote that in an understandable manner... maybe...

Actually the Bayonetta render requires a lot more skill to apply to a signature.  It's really an overcrowded render with a lot of stuff going on.  The Tomb Raider render is actually a simple one to work with without having to worry to make too many changes to it (to help blend it in) compared to the Bayonetta one which is going to need quite a bit of modification to it.

I can see why you think the Bayonetta one is easier to work with though.

Edited by DEMON
  • Like 3

Basically what DEMON said. I chose renders with the intent on giving Pro a much more difficult signature to work with and Novice a much easier signature.

Simple renders like the Tomb Raider one are easy to work with. Positioning the render is easy. You have the render set up in a way that you can make a vertical signature or horizontal signature with ease. The face is very visible in a manner that includes the body. You can incorporate the most of the render into the signature. It also allows you the freedom to play with different effects or styles to make it look different.

Complex renders like the Bayonetta one looks really fancy and awesome, but only to look at. The face is tiny in comparison to the whole body. The render is so spread out that you can barely fit anything into the signature. How do you incorporate any of the guns on that render into the signature? The hair is 5x as long as the head, and the guns are wayyy past that point. Do you go vertical or horizontal? What actually fits better? You want to add effects, but the render takes up the entire signature. You have to erase or fade away parts of the render into the background to make it blend. It's a pretty render but difficult as hell to work with.

That's not meant to scare you. It's just meant to show just cause a render is flashier, doesn't equal the render being easy to work with. I'm going to have a tough time with it myself. :P

Edited by cmgravekeeper
  • Like 1

That's not meant to scare you. It's just meant to show just cause a render is flashier, doesn't equal the render being easy to work with. I'm going to have a tough time with it myself. :P

I mean, it's not the fact that it's flashier it's the fact that there looks like a hell of a lot more to be done with it, you can resize it and rotate it to your heart's content to fit it onto a sig and god knows that you don't need all of the guns unless having the full render visible is a requirement - which would be a bit silly.

I can see several angles to take the Bayo one from whereas the Lara Croft one I can't see as many and I don't know if that's how my mind is set or if it's something else but :dunno: That's the way it came out for me xD

• Like 1

I mean, it's not the fact that it's flashier it's the fact that there looks like a hell of a lot more to be done with it, you can resize it and rotate it to your heart's content to fit it onto a sig and god knows that you don't need all of the guns unless having the full render visible is a requirement - which would be a bit silly.

I can see several angles to take the Bayo one from whereas the Lara Croft one I can't see as many and I don't know if that's how my mind is set or if it's something else but :dunno: That's the way it came out for me xD

Well, the thing is, if you are a Novice in Signature Battle, you are more than welcomed to use the Pro render if you wanted.  But that also means you will have to compete against the Pro members.. for that month anyways.  The Pro members don't get this, they can't use the Novice render and compete against the Novice, so Novice are a bit lucky but also not in a way (because it's obviously going to be a harder battle for them if competing against the Pro members) that they get more freedom with the render they want to use.

Edited by DEMON

Well, the thing is, if you are a Novice in Signature Battle, you are more than welcomed to use the Pro render if you wanted.  But that also means you will have to compete against the Pro members.. for that month anyways.  The Pro members don't get this, they can't use the Novice render and compete against the Novice, so Novice are a bit lucky but also not in a way (because it's obviously going to be a harder battle for them if competing against the Pro members) that they get more freedom with the render they want to use.

Well tbh thinking about all of this has got my mind set on different renders that could be used for future battles :hmm: It makes sense that Novice members using the Pro get set into the pro category though I might have to voice certain opinions in private related to other ideas... I think I'll PM you later once I get my thoughts onto paper and understandable sentences xD

• Like 1

Well tbh thinking about all of this has got my mind set on different renders that could be used for future battles :hmm: It makes sense that Novice members using the Pro get set into the pro category though I might have to voice certain opinions in private related to other ideas... I think I'll PM you later once I get my thoughts onto paper and understandable sentences xD

That's fine.  Signature Battle is still open to feedback being new and all, and you are allowed to submit renders like I said in the Information thread, but I can only really accept HQ ones. :)  So you can share a bunch of renders you'll like to see in future Signature Battles.

Edited by DEMON

Pro: My vote goes to Entry 1, like the FX and text here.

Novice: My vote goes to Entry 2, pretty awesome lighting and depth here for someone who is just new to signatures, this is probably an area people fuck up a lot on (I still fuck up on this myself at times); but you have done pretty good here. The text work is nice too, but the position just seems off to me. Very good signature regardless.

All of the entries are pretty awesome this month, lets keep this up! ;)

Also, Novice, you can ask for CnC once the battle is over like some did last time (Pros can also ask for CnC as well :)).

• Like 1

In the first category, despite my dislike for a mass of colors yours(#3) was the only one that didn't have her head against the frame.

For category two, I'm really partial to #5 because of that designing aka no massive particle effects or unnecessary touches that divert the eyes from the real art(which doesn't seem very popular on psnp :/ ) .

Though #2 catches the eye for me due to the exceptional contrast work, again I'm partial, but certainly deserves praise!

#5 I see you have some missing parts in the guns abd elsewhere, don't be afraid to undo(I recommend setting undo ctrl z to 1000, this way you can go back to where you might have screwed up.

Another way is copy and paste! Then work with the copied guns layer on top of the old until they meld seamlessly using techniques that you're comfortable with. I've done this before when I've screwed up and works well in certain situations. It can save a migraine of doing parts all over again when you're far into the project.

• Like 2

I went with #1 for the Pro render as I like the size of the sig and the colours. And it also shows off her guns nicely.

Went with #4 for the Novice render as it's nice and simple and shows off Laras guns and boobs nicely which is alright as that's the theme :P.

• Like 1

#5 I see you have some missing parts in the guns abd elsewhere, don't be afraid to undo(I recommend setting undo ctrl z to 1000, this way you can go back to where you might have screwed up.

I don't recommend this at all.  By expanding the history in PS, you are causing it to have more memory useage which means it could crash easier (which result in losing work if not saving regularly), some people's PCs already have a hard time with PS so ideally, don't mess with these settings if you can help it.

There's actually a much easier way to prevent messing up your render and that's by applying a Layer Mask to it and erasing bits of it with a black brush.  If you mess up, just go over with a white brush or delete the layer mask and try again.  No need to undo a whole pile of other steps you worked hard on.

• Like 1

Cool battle  :yay:

I've voted for entry 2 in the pro section. The quality of the finish makes it stand out for me, also the text is really nice.

And I voted for 2 in the novice. Everything in the sig ties together really well. I do think whoever made this should be rolling with the pros though ;)

:eyebrow:

Edited by Chambers35
  • Like 1