Looking to Supe Up my PS3

BIOHAZARD-R-US

This thread is entertaining. :lol:  :lol:

I already have a PS4. Which SSD should I get? I want the biggest capacity the PS3 can handle. Sucks that I can't upgrade the other stuff. 

As for PC gaming, it would be nice to have my own custom rig, I just can't stand using a keyboard and mouse, and the Xbox controller is too bulky and awkward with the analog sticks.

Well you could use a PS4 controller on PC ya know.

Honestly if you insist on having a SSD in the PS3 just get a smaller cheap one. If you need space the cost..well you may aswell build a PC. But if its like normal HDD's it will be 2TB (standard 2.5 drives). However while it does improve speeds the fact is a SSD is just not efficient in playstation systems let alone the cost to performance value unlike in a PC

Edited by VitalFury

I find performance between 5400, 7200, and SSD drives to be negligible.  I'm sure there is some but I don't notice that.  The reason I recommend SSD is because they are quiet.  For digital games you can't even hear the PS3.  Size is up to you depending on what you want to spend, but wait for a sale, they happen all the time.

This is a great deal: http://www.ncix.com/detail/kingston-ssdnow-v300-480gb-2-5-e8-103794.htm

Or you can blow upwards of $500 on this... http://www.ncix.com/detail/sandisk-extreme-pro-960gb-2-5-02-98186.htm

In my experience what will give the biggest performance boost on the PS3 is playing a digital copy of a game instead of a disc-based copy. From what I've been able to find the PS3 Blu-ray drive has a transfer speed of 9 MB/s,  SATA II on the other hand, which is what the PS3/PS4 uses, has a max transfer speed of 300 MB/s. Obviously it's not going to actually hit the max speed but even if it only reaches 1/2 (150 MB/s) or even just 1/4 (75 MB/s) of max it'll still be a lot faster than the Blu-ray.

Second biggest boost after doing that would be upgrading the 5400 RPM HDD to a 7200 RPM HDD. The 7200 RPM drive spins about 33% faster but how much of that actually carries over will depend on the game and whether or not you're playing a digital or disc-based copy and if it's a disc-based copy then how much, if any, it installs to the HDD.

Even beyond that though you could go with an SSD. I installed one in one of my PS3s this weekend and after testing it out the last few days I've seen about a 10%-15% improvement in load times compared to the 7200 RPM HDD that was in it. Funny enough though I've noticed a much bigger improvement than that in the performance of the PS store on the system. The system definitely runs quieter too, as it naturally would. This is the one I went with for the system - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OAJ412U/ref=ice_ac_a_t_dpn?ie=UTF8&qid=1463605783&sr=8-1-ac&keywords=samsung+evo+850It's not a huge size but it's adequate enough since the PS3 OS takes up much less space than the PS4 OS (no more than 20 GB it seems as compared to about 100 GB I believe) and I plan on deleting games once I'm finished with them.

If you're a person that prefers to have physical copies of your games and if most of them don't have mandatory or optional installs, especially full installs at that, then I'd probably just stick with a 5400 RPM HDD as your biggest bottleneck will still be the Blu-ray drive.

On the other hand, if you're more of a digital copy person then a 7200 RPM HDD would give you a decent performance boost with a fair amount of storage for $100, for example, than you could get if you were to spend that same $100 on the best SSD you could, which would give you a slightly faster drive but a lower capacity.

Edited by BooneIronshield
  • Like 1

I already have a PS4. Which SSD should I get? I want the biggest capacity the PS3 can handle. Sucks that I can't upgrade the other stuff. 

As for PC gaming, it would be nice to have my own custom rig, I just can't stand using a keyboard and mouse, and the Xbox controller is too bulky and awkward with the analog sticks.

You can get DS4Windows and the Dualshock 4 works amazingly. You can even use the touch pad to control the mouse and click stuff.

SSD is great! go ahead and get one if you want an upgrade for the PS3, especially if you play a lot of digital games without discs and online hard drive heavy games like FFXIV. I noticed incredibly reduced load times by 30+ seconds on FFXIV while using an SSD vs standard hard drive. People saying they are only quieter simply have not tested them first hand with the proper software. Issue anyways is with the discs, they bottleneck the SSD since they're so much slower. There are huge advantages in data transfer speed in an SSD with digital games, though. I am not over exaggerating when I say 30+ seconds decreased load times on FFXIV.

Other than the SSD the best upgrade you can do for your PS3 is a decent top case mod with an extra fan, as stated above. PS3 gets hot, and has a lot of problems with freezing/crashing. I've switched thermal pastes on all my PS3s as well to circumvent this and it helps a lot, but I do not recommend if you do not feel absolutely comfortable. Highly recommend the top case mod though, and a stand to reduce the surface space coverage under the PS3 and whatever you have it laying on.

edit: i use the Crucial MX100 but the MX200 is far superior and the same price i paid for mine like 2 years ago.

you'll also need a USB to SATA adapter to format your SSD if needed (i had to) in order for the PS3 to recognize it, only to format it again itself xD so yeah i'd say definitely get the adapter, they're cheap and very convenient!

Edited by usrmd

An SSD drive will cost about twice as much as a regular 5400rpm drive of the same capacity.  I wouldn't recommend a 7200rpm due to overheating issues, from personal experience. You only need a usb stick if you want to transfer your save data and don't have PS+.

You can put in a fan with more cfm but the same is achieved by upgrading to an SSD (runs cooler). 

Go to a PS4 if you have the cash.

That is only partly correct. Yes, you need it to transfer save data but you'll also need it for getting the OS of the PS onto the new HDD. New HDDs are blank and without the OS of PS you can't do shit.

• Like 1

That is only partly correct. Yes, you need it to transfer save data but you'll also need it for getting the OS of the PS onto the new HDD. New HDDs are blank and without the OS of PS you can't do shit.

If you are connected to the internet it will prompt you for USB or via Internet as options on where to get the latest firmware, I thought.  I don't mind being incorrect but I do not remember having to use a USB.