First Week Sales Surpass 2.7 Million

That seems like a great number but that also means that 92% of PS4 owners didn't want to pick the game up (or at least were not interested enough to pick it up at launch).

I love stats :) They can really turn an article around.

so? that happens to every platform, same on xbox one, same on pc, same on mobile, etc.

not everyone has the same tastes, and not everyone buys a console to play all the games, some people buys them to play only exclusive titles, some people buys them only to play multiplatforms titles, some people for the indies, others to play more asian/anime titles, others just can't buy the game right now at release because of money problems, or they had to go on a trip and left the ps4 at home, others might have not heard of it, etc... there are many factors that determine if a person purchases a game or not, not just because they aren't interested on it  :)

Edited by smellslikejavier
  • Like 1

That seems like a great number but that also means that 92% of PS4 owners didn't want to pick the game up (or at least were not interested enough to pick it up at launch).

I love stats :) They can really turn an article around.

Lol. Almost sounds like its bad figures. 

Games can only dream of sales like that, let alone in 1 week only. :)

so? that happens to every platform, same on xbox one, same on pc, same on mobile, etc.

not everyone has the same tastes, and not everyone buys a console to play all the games, some people buys them to play only exclusive titles, some people buys them only to play multiplatforms titles, some people for the indies, others to play more asian/anime titles, others just can't buy the game right now at release because of money problems, or they had to go on a trip and left the ps4 at home, others might have not heard of it, etc... there are many factors that determine if a person purchases a game or not, not just because they aren't interested on it  :)

Lol. Almost sounds like its bad figures. 

Games can only dream of sales like that, let alone in 1 week only. :)

OK it was meant as a joke, but it makes you think of how misleading articles can be. I mean on a Playstation forum people will be praising that 2.7 million people bought a game but on a Xbox forum someone could post "only 8% of PS4 owners bought the biggest game of the year" and both people would be correct :)

It is why in a commercial it is always 9/10 doctors recommend this as oppose to 10% of all doctors say you should never use this medicine :P

It is just a funny way of looking at things because I guarantee if someone here posted my Latter example of 8% market penetration everyone on this forum would be bashing that person until the thread had to be closed by moderators ^_^

even after two weeks its still at #1 on the UK top charts: UK Sales Chart: Uncharted 4 Repeats at #1, Homefront: The Revolution Debuts in 3rd

really impressive!

Nothing else came out so it isn't that impressive. It isn't like when Mario Kart DS was on the Top 10 list for close to 6 months.

• Like 1

OK it was meant as a joke, but it makes you think of how misleading articles can be. I mean on a Playstation forum people will be praising that 2.7 million people bought a game but on a Xbox forum someone could post "only 8% of PS4 owners bought the biggest game of the year" and both people would be correct :)

It is why in a commercial it is always 9/10 doctors recommend this as oppose to 10% of all doctors say you should never use this medicine :P

It is just a funny way of looking at things because I guarantee if someone here posted my Latter example of 8% market penetration everyone on this forum would be bashing that person until the thread had to be closed by moderators ^_^

Nothing else came out so it isn't that impressive. It isn't like when Mario Kart DS was on the Top 10 list for close to 6 months.

same thing when a country has more than 300 millions of people living in it and only 200.000 goes to see a movie. different tastes and different reasons that they couldn't go to see it, not just because they didn't wanted or didn't like it.

and doom came out in the same week for all platforms, meanwhile uncharted 4 just for 1 platform and its still in the first spot.

Edited by smellslikejavier
  • Like 1

OK...once again I was just providing a funny take on the sales but to your point your analogy doesn't work at all.

We are talking about 36 million people that bought a Gaming system to play games on. Which means that when a game comes out and has the most advertising rolled into it it should produce the most sales. So when less than 8% of people bought the game at launch you would consider that a failure of sorts. Call of Duty tripled that number in just 3 days of sales and they release a game every year (not one ever 4 years)

Now you said in a country of 300 million only 200,000 see a movie...that is called a bomb of a movie. It is the number that lesser movies get while bigger films (with lots of advertising) do a lot better. If Star Wars or Avengers brought in only 200, 000 views in their first weekend they would be a box office flop.

Now think of it like this. The Superbowl is the biggest day in football. If the stadium only sold 8% of their tickets...don't you think that would be considered a failure of a game?

I am not trying to bring down Naughty Dogs achievement here, but a thread created by people who didn't work on the game promoting and blindly defending a number that in all honesty is a low number considering the amount of houses that could have bought the game but didn't. This is Sony's biggest game (and will be for a long time) and it couldn't even break 10% of Console owners...that is not a great number.

So anyways, just think about how threads like these are perceived as they come across as WAY too fanboyish for my taste. If you don't think so...think about this. I pointed out that 8% of people bought the game vs 92% who didn't and instead of saying "oh I guess if you look at it like that he is right" you jumped in blind defence of a company you hold no stake in...despite my numbers being just as correct as your numbers.

So basically what I am saying is...enjoy a game because you enjoy it.

blah blah this kind of numbers aren't achievable that easy, talking about every other exclusive franchise from other consoles.

like i said there are many factors that depends if people buys a game or not, and for a game company this type of numbers are already considered a success and they start making profit from it, so not 100% of the player base from a console has to buy the game to make it a success, that isn't achievable on any platform, no matter how popular that platform is.

2.7 millions copies sold in only 1 week while other exclusive games needs months to achieve that kind of amount is indeed impressive.

don't know why you take the time to enter to this thread if its too fanboyish to you, and seeing that you weren't interested in the game the day it launched according to your status update, but oh well...

• Like 1

OK...once again I was just providing a funny take on the sales but to your point your analogy doesn't work at all.

So basically what I am saying is...enjoy a game because you enjoy it.

As long as you keep relying to our resident Naughty Dog defender, he will camp out and reply. Regardless of if your point was not in any way a slam on U4, but rather the ambiguity of statistics.

On Topic: Almost three million games sold is impressive no matter the conditions or situation. I'm impressed when 2.7 million 99 cent games are sold. With all the choices people have today, I still think it's incredible.

What I'm really hoping is Sony looks at this and says, okay, no more encouraging PS4 *anything*, we can let it run it's course, it'll be more than fine and focus on VR, Vita and PS TV now. HA HA HA HA. I just cracked myself up.

• Like 1

As long as you keep relying to our resident Naughty Dog defender, he will camp out and reply. Regardless of if your point was not in any way a slam on U4, but rather the ambiguity of statistics.

On Topic: Almost three million games sold is impressive no matter the conditions or situation. I'm impressed when 2.7 million 99 cent games are sold. With all the choices people have today, I still think it's incredible.

What I'm really hoping is Sony looks at this and says, okay, no more encouraging PS4 *anything*, we can let it run it's course, it'll be more than fine and focus on VR, Vita and PS TV now. HA HA HA HA. I just cracked myself up.

if you don't agree then you are a naughty dog defender lol, thanks dr_mayus defender then.

a ps4 exclusive $60 game sold 2.7 millions sold in 1 week, impressive :)

• Like 2

Agreed. I've seen on other videogame forums that it's like a common goal for a lot of big-budget games to reach the 1,000,000 sales at least. Sort of a landmark to consider them "decent". All of it depends on how much money you invested though.

I guess Naughty Dog gave a nod of approval when they saw these numbers. Their budget might just have been recovered and hey, good for them.

Off-topic:

I don't know about VR so far, so considering the other two.......

Untitled-9.gif

That was a good laugh.

Edited by Lord_of_Ra

if you don't agree then you are a naughty dog defender lol, thanks dr_mayus defender then.

a ps4 exclusive $60 game sold 2.7 millions sold in 1 week, impressive :)

I like Dr_Mayus defenders...because they are in defence of someone who backs up his opinions with facts :)

You posted on my status that the game "didn't fail badly" How do you know? What is the total budget for the game and how much did they make back? Is Sony banking on UC4 to help offset some of the cost for their VR technology? If that is the case it needs to sell a lot more than 2.7 million.

I guess something I was trying to get out of my posts is learn to think Big Picture and stop being a fanboy. Sony, I am sure, was banking a ton on this game and 2.7 is a great number BUT they have to use big successes to offset other titles. Capcom deemed RE6 to be a failure and it move 5 million copies, Tomb Raider moved 3.4 million titles and it was deemed a failure.

Now these were less expensive games than Uncharted AND Capcom and SE don't have the overhead that Sony does...so just think logically for a second and wonder is 2.7 million a HUGE SUCCESS...or Do we have to wait until Sony's stock comes in?

Which of the following do you not agree with, just so I can understand where you're coming from:

92% of PS4 owners didn't want to pick the game up (or at least were not interested enough to pick it up at launch).

"only 8% of PS4 owners bought the biggest game of the year" 

This is Sony's biggest game (and will be for a long time) and it couldn't even break 10% of Console owners

8% of people bought the game vs 92% who didn't

If you don't pick up on what is getting put down here, there is no point in continuing to reply. 

I already gave my impression above. If you still feel the need to get defensive, you definitely aren't getting the point.

I don't want to keep going for fear of falling into the XKCD #386 trap so I won't keep replying to this topic.

Good on them I personally dislike the series but I can see the appeal. Uncharted 3 sold 3.8 million in a day so I do question how Sony feels.

Actually, 3.8 million shipped, not sold.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2011/11/10/uncharted-3-sells-38-million-copies 

"Update: It now appears these figures represent units sold-in (to retailers) rather than sold-through (to consumers)."

Edited by Death_Ninja

Good on them I personally dislike the series but I can see the appeal. Uncharted 3 sold 3.8 million in a day so I do question how Sony feels.

Uncharted 3 launched in November 2011 when PS3 had a 56 million userbase.

Uncharted 4 launched in May (some of the slowest months for gaming) when PS4 has an userbase of just over 40 million.

Considering November is holiday season and the PS3 had a 40% higher userbase than the PS4 has now, Uncharted 4's 2.7 million sales should be just fine for Sony.

Edited by Guimace
  • Like 1

so my adventure came to a close with this baby 

1605261924450115.jpg

Not only the game deserves those massive sales but look at how much love they threw into the game, is just incredible :D

Let's not forget this too, off course :P:D

Grab the game everybody 

Edited by Mah2c
  • Like 1

Couldn't be happier for them, congrats Naughty Dog! I love you and all that you do :3

At the moment that number says only a lot about the people´s time preference.

The game is a "must buy" for me too. But I´m not willing to pay 60$ or Euro for any game.

I´ll get it for about 30 soon.

Boy, this is Uncharted. There is simply no waiting. Good luck getting this for $30 anytime soon because it's doing really well and it'll take a while for the price to go down. Expect 2 years of a wait.

Dislike? Dafuq is wrong with you?

I guess something I was trying to get out of my posts is learn to think Big Picture and stop being a fanboy. Sony, I am sure, was banking a ton on this game and 2.7 is a great number BUT they have to use big successes to offset other titles. Capcom deemed RE6 to be a failure and it move 5 million copies, Tomb Raider moved 3.4 million titles and it was deemed a failure.

Now these were less expensive games than Uncharted AND Capcom and SE don't have the overhead that Sony does...so just think logically for a second and wonder is 2.7 million a HUGE SUCCESS...or Do we have to wait until Sony's stock comes in?

The key part here is that it is the first week. If the growth rate of sales radically diminished in the subsequent weeks/months, then a failure notice will most likely be stamped by Sony and mentioned on several news pages. That leads me to believe that Naughty Dog is betting somehow on a decent growth rate taking this sample as a start. Plain and simple.

I agree with you that it's wrong to consider U4 a wide success while ignoring the overall budget spent on it and several other facts. Plus, it's only been a week sales being mentioned. I put that Naughty might have recovered a part of their budget before, hence the nod of "happiness" given by them. Either that or they are confident of recovering it by the same reason stated above.

Also, another game that I may add to those you listed is Alien Isolation with 2.1 million sales overall. It was considered a failure too, and I highly doubt the budget might have been similar to Uncharted's...

Edited by Lord_of_Ra