Story mode

dharksoul

The story was like 90% Rashid and generic anime! A lot of back and forth between places and the only cameos were the dolls! And as dharksoul and Hibernating said, it's barely connected to their prologues and you don't need to be a genius to see that it was rushed like all hell! They made Necalli look like a little bitch! I thought he was gonna be a great calamity or something, like a bigger boss than Bison but no. I dunno guys, think they'll make another story chapter after this? But this time the story revolves around Gill?

What on Earth did you guys expect? It's Street Fighter. It's not a series known for its story. Expecting something big and well told out of their literal first attempt at it was just asking for disappointment.

Even MK wasn't that great after 9 games. Fighting game stories are never good. At best, they end up being like MK9 and turn out passable, but still stupid and contrived - at worst they end up like Tekken, with multiple storylines going on, all of which make no sense and barely connect to each other.

Edited by Fox
  • Like 3

Well i don't know about you guys but i REALLY enjoyed the Story mode, it wasn't half bad. There was one point that i was thinking, "Is Rashid really the successor of Dan-Hibiki?" Haha. But overall, i really liked it, i went a bit krazy each time i saw the drops of Necalli falling, made me hype for some reasons.

• Like 1

What are you people talking about? The story was a great. It is a near perfect bridge into Street Fighter 3 story.

This story finally told us:

1. How Ryu dealt with the Satsui no Hado.
  2. What happened to Dictator and how Shadaloo fell.
  3. How Chun-Li met Li-Fen
  4. How Sean met Ken and why Sean doesn't use his family fighting style
  5. The start of the Illuminati rise to power.

It also gave closure to some of Street Fighter older plot lines:

1. Cammy finally saved all of the dolls
  2. The Abel being one of Dictator Psycho Power bodies plotline was proven to be true and it seems like Nash dealt with it.
  3. Nash finally got his revenge against Dictator

As for the character prologue stories not flowing into the main story. I have to disagree.

The prologue stories tell you what each of characters were doing before the Black Moon incident happened.

1. Ryu: Trying to deal with the Satsui no Hado
  2. Ken: Meeting Karin
  3. Chun-Li: Taking care of Li-Fen
  4. Cammy: Trying to save the dolls
  5. Nash: Being revived by the Illuminati
  6. Dictator: Starting up Operation CHAINS
  7. Claw: Messing around with Cammy before Operation CHAINS starts
  8. Birdie: How he started working for Karin
  9. Karin: Reintroducing her into the overall Street Sighter story by having her meet most of the cast in one way or another
  10. R.Mika: Reintroducing her into the overall Street Sighter story by having her be Zangief apprentice and Karin employee
  11. Zangief: Getting his broken Muscle Power
  12. Dhalsim: Being a Wise Man to almost everyone.
  13. Rashid: Setting up his plotline in the main story.
  14. Laura: Trying to make her family's fighting style more popuar
  15. Fang: How he became one of the 4 king of Shadaloo and the start of Operation CHAINS.
  16. Necalli: What he is.
  17. Alex: Nothing because his story doesn't start until Street Fighter 3
  18. Guile: Looking into Operation CHAINS
  19. Ibuki: How she met and started working her Karin.
  20. Boxer: What he and Eddy are doing and how the Illuminati found out so much about Operation CHAINS.

All and all I think the story mode was really good for capcom's first try at a true in game story.

Edited by soultaker655
  • Like 4

What are you people talking about? The story was a great. It is a near perfect bridge into Street Fighter 3 story.

This story finally told us:

1. How Ryu dealt with the Satsui no Hado.
  2. What happened to Dictator and how Shadaloo fell.
  3. How Chun-Li met Li-Fen
  4. How Sean met Ken and why Sean doesn't use his family fighting style
  5. The start of the Illuminati rise to power.

It also gave closure to some of Street Fighter older plot lines:

1. Cammy finally saved all of the dolls
  2. The Abel being one of Dictator Psycho Power bodies plotline was proven to be true and it seems like Nash dealt with it.
  3. Nash finally got his revenge against Dictator

As for the character prologue stories not flowing into the main story. I have to disagree.

The prologue stories tell you what each of characters were doing before the Black Moon incident happened.

1. Ryu: Trying to deal with the Satsui no Hado
  2. Ken: Meeting Karin
  3. Chun-Li: Taking care of Li-Fen
  4. Cammy: Trying to save the dolls
  5. Nash: Being revived by the Illuminati
  6. Dictator: Starting up Operation CHAINS
  7. Claw: Messing around with Cammy before Operation CHAINS starts
  8. Birdie: How he started working for Karin
  9. Karin: Reintroducing her into the overall Street Sighter story by having her meet most of the cast in one way or another
  10. R.Mika: Reintroducing her into the overall Street Sighter story by having her be Zangief apprentice and Karin employee
  11. Zangief: Getting his broken Muscle Power
  12. Dhalsim: Being a Wise Man to almost everyone.
  13. Rashid: Setting up his plotline in the main story.
  14. Laura: Trying to make her family's fighting style more popuar
  15. Fang: How he became one of the 4 king of Shadaloo and the start of Operation CHAINS.
  16. Necalli: What he is.
  17. Alex: Nothing because his story doesn't start until Street Fighter 3
  18. Guile: Looking into Operation CHAINS
  19. Ibuki: How she met and started working her Karin.
  20. Boxer: What he and Eddy are doing and how the Illuminati found out so much about Operation CHAINS.

All and all I think the story mode was really good for capcom's first try at a true in game story.

Exactly. People honestly expected way, way too much out of it it feels like.

Who even plays a fighter for the story ? You were expecting anything great to come out from this outcome ? I surely wouldn't  :P

Well, Arc system works games usually have great stories, like in the Blaz Blues or Persona 4 Arena. They're pretty long and really well written.

Edited by Carlver
  • Like 3

Well, Arc system works games usually have great stories, like in the Blaz Blues or Persona 4 Arena. They're pretty long and really well written.

That's why I barely played The story mode of Continuum Shift , too long novels sections when I just I want to Fight . I'll play my visual Novels on my own .

• Like 1

That's why I barely played The story mode of Continuum Shift , too long novels sections when I just I want to Fight . I'll play my visual Novels on my own .

That depends on what you what at the moment, there are times when I just want to fight too, and sometimes the dialogues drags too long, but it sure is nice to have a story well developed in this kind of games  :blush:

• Like 1

Spoilers ahead

Had this been released with the game at launch I might have given them a pass with it being their first attempt at something like this.  Since I had to wait four months for this and all the hype they tried to heap on it, the final result is lackluster and boring really.  

It jumps all over the place and would have been better served to follow one character to a cliff hanger like anime fighter story modes with a finale once all stories have been completed or focusing on one character for four or five matches like Neatherelm story modes do.

They had a lot of wasted moments and characters that ultimately do nothing or amount to nothing.  Sean meeting Ken is barely touched on and is overshadowed by Laura shouting and being annoying.  Yeah we can assume Sean asks Ken to teach him, but there isn't really a moment where Sean makes a decision that he wants to learn from this guy.

Necalli may as well not have been in the story mode since he amounts to nothing.  In the trailers it looked like he would be hunting Ryu so he could absorb the Hado and become even more powerful and instead he's a jobber. We never see  Ryu learning to control the Hado, there is no signs of struggle or Ryu overcoming something, that all happens off screen.  He shows up and now all of a sudden can do the thing he hasn't been able to do for years.

Juri is also wasted as she could have been replaced by anyone else because her contribution is minimal and unspecific to her character and story.  She was a very interesting character in SF4 and now she's just another side person who helps Cammy for a bit.

Nash does nothing.  He meets up with Guile and Chun-Li who are mildly surprised to see him, fights Bison, sacrifices himself and doesn't even scratch the guy.  

Bison's send off is weak.  You're going to kill off a villain who has been with the series for so long and he ends with such a whimper rather than a bang.  It's like Ryu performed a really sleepy, peaceful blue version of the Raging Demon and Bison disintegrates for some reason.

I did like Cammy's arc.  Her talking with Chun-Li about families and her lack of understanding was good and the idea that the dolls are her family and that in the end she now understands is also a very nice full circle for her.

I liked Fang as well as that super over the top foppish anime villain.  

Speaking of anime, Ibuki's move list + Mika's looks and voice = Naruto

Random Questions:

Why is Karin the head of the universe apparently?

Why does everyone know where the Shadaloo base is?

Why does Shadaloo keep letting people in their base?

Cammy gets on the ATV with Juri in Rio and they end up in...England?

Capcom has done everything in their power to kill this game.  Months of bad matchmaking, frame delays, poor netcode, inconsistent DLC releases, expensive costume DLC, this sub par story mode and still no arcade mode.  This game needed another year instead of being shoved out the door for tournaments.  Will you appeal to the hardcore and tournament scene, sure.  But casuals and potential new players won't buy this thing with the stigma hanging over it and without those players you can't expect your community to grow.

• Like 1

Spoilers ahead

Had this been released with the game at launch I might have given them a pass with it being their first attempt at something like this.  Since I had to wait four months for this and all the hype they tried to heap on it, the final result is lackluster and boring really.  

It jumps all over the place and would have been better served to follow one character to a cliff hanger like anime fighter story modes with a finale once all stories have been completed or focusing on one character for four or five matches like Neatherelm story modes do.

They had a lot of wasted moments and characters that ultimately do nothing or amount to nothing.  Sean meeting Ken is barely touched on and is overshadowed by Laura shouting and being annoying.  Yeah we can assume Sean asks Ken to teach him, but there isn't really a moment where Sean makes a decision that he wants to learn from this guy.

Necalli may as well not have been in the story mode since he amounts to nothing.  In the trailers it looked like he would be hunting Ryu so he could absorb the Hado and become even more powerful and instead he's a jobber. We never see  Ryu learning to control the Hado, there is no signs of struggle or Ryu overcoming something, that all happens off screen.  He shows up and now all of a sudden can do the thing he hasn't been able to do for years.

Juri is also wasted as she could have been replaced by anyone else because her contribution is minimal and unspecific to her character and story.  She was a very interesting character in SF4 and now she's just another side person who helps Cammy for a bit.

Nash does nothing.  He meets up with Guile and Chun-Li who are mildly surprised to see him, fights Bison, sacrifices himself and doesn't even scratch the guy.  

Bison's send off is weak.  You're going to kill off a villain who has been with the series for so long and he ends with such a whimper rather than a bang.  It's like Ryu performed a really sleepy, peaceful blue version of the Raging Demon and Bison disintegrates for some reason.

I did like Cammy's arc.  Her talking with Chun-Li about families and her lack of understanding was good and the idea that the dolls are her family and that in the end she now understands is also a very nice full circle for her.

I liked Fang as well as that super over the top foppish anime villain.  

Speaking of anime, Ibuki's move list + Mika's looks and voice = Naruto

Random Questions:

Why is Karin the head of the universe apparently?

Why does everyone know where the Shadaloo base is?

Why does Shadaloo keep letting people in their base?

Cammy gets on the ATV with Juri in Rio and they end up in...England?

Capcom has done everything in their power to kill this game.  Months of bad matchmaking, frame delays, poor netcode, inconsistent DLC releases, expensive costume DLC, this sub par story mode and still no arcade mode.  This game needed another year instead of being shoved out the door for tournaments.  Will you appeal to the hardcore and tournament scene, sure.  But casuals and potential new players won't buy this thing with the stigma hanging over it and without those players you can't expect your community to grow.

This. I couldn't have explained it better than you did. So many wasted opportunities for character development. Because of that most moments were really awkward like when Charlie finally met Guile. I know it's supposed to be awkward but they could have done so much more than having Guile just give him back his dog tag.

EDIT: They also didn't establish the connection between Charlie and Abel. We know from SF4 that they met each other at some point but nothing is explained about that. Oh, and don't forget Bison's story costume. That costume screams final boss, why the hell didn't they put that in?! And people defend this so called "story"? wtf man

EDIT 2: Also, i know this is just a theory i came up with but what if...

...Necalli is actually Gill? You see that the blue butterfly that's in the story is always in the same place as Necalli. Also, Ryu punched Necalli on the left part of his chest which is actually the part that is blue on Gill symbolizing peace or good. My theory is that Ryu's good Hado merged with Necalli's evil soul and he became Gill. He became a confused being, asking himself why he couldn't devour Ryu's soul like the others. We know that Helen/Kolin read a prophecy that a certain man was supposed to save the world. It's probable even she didn't know who that was at the time. I'm going to stop my mess of a theory now but i really think Necalli is Gill. Why else bring him into the story? Just so we can have a devour-our-our meme?

Edited by Hibernating