The frustration of this game's DLC Trophies...

AJ_Radio

After a bit of a hiatus and having been busy looking for a job (after getting fired) I decided to go back to this game and actually work on getting 100 percent on it. AR Challenges for Nightwing, Harley Quinn etc shouldn't be that bad especially with all the areas you get when you buy all the DLC. I'm going to have to look up a guide for the Riddler trophy and getting those predator takedowns for the platinum. The problem I'm having is getting the AR Challenges for the various Batmobiles, which unfortunately involve racing through a bunch of tracks where you need to turn and utilize your speed if you want to achieve 3 stars on any particular track. I'm just awful at racing and this game is no exception.

There is also the Community Challenge Pack which is easier said than done. I tried the Iceberg Lounge challenge only to give up in frustration. I guess I was thankful that Arkham Asylum doesn't have as many types of enemies and moves for Batman, but I barely got by with Shock and Awe and Rumble in the Jungle. I enjoyed all three Arkham games that were developed by Rocksteady. But the trophies especially for Arkham City (which I may come back to at some point) are frustrating, if you want 100 percent completion.

• Like 2

After a bit of a hiatus and having been busy looking for a job (after getting fired) I decided to go back to this game and actually work on getting 100 percent on it. AR Challenges for Nightwing, Harley Quinn etc shouldn't be that bad especially with all the areas you get when you buy all the DLC. I'm going to have to look up a guide for the Riddler trophy and getting those predator takedowns for the platinum. The problem I'm having is getting the AR Challenges for the various Batmobiles, which unfortunately involve racing through a bunch of tracks where you need to turn and utilize your speed if you want to achieve 3 stars on any particular track. I'm just awful at racing and this game is no exception.

There is also the Community Challenge Pack which is easier said than done. I tried the Iceberg Lounge challenge only to give up in frustration. I guess I was thankful that Arkham Asylum doesn't have as many types of enemies and moves for Batman, but I barely got by with Shock and Awe and Rumble in the Jungle. I enjoyed all three Arkham games that were developed by Rocksteady. But the trophies especially for Arkham City (which I may come back to at some point) are frustrating, if you want 100 percent completion.

The Arkham knight dlc's are a pain in the ass. Try to use the trophy guides for the base game trophies. As for the community challenge trophies they are a bitch. They're largely skill based but this trophy guide will help give a few tips. http://www.playstationtrophies.org/forum/community-challenge-pack/283186-batman-arkham-knight-community-challenge-pack-roadmap-trophy-guide.html .Also good luck on the batmobile related trophies, sadly don't have any tips but to keep trying. :(

• Like 1

All of the challenges and trophies are easily doable. Just keep practicing. Play some music in the background and just concentrate on the task at hand without trying to get nervous. You will get them. The racing challenges will co e with practice and getting used to the tracks. And just to make sure you do not need to get 3 stars in each racing challenge. You can mix and match if needed and get 1 or 2 stars in one and 3 in another. It's all about finding which challenges you can do consistently everything and doing the same challenges over for each vehicle.

• Like 1

If you find a good guide for the Riddler trophies hit me up. I did everything for the plat except Knightmare mode in like a week on release, except for the bloody Riddler things and I just cannot be arsed. 

PowerPyx has a video guide that I used a while back. I found it nice, but I'm more of the type that prefers video guides over text guides.

For the Iceberg Lounge level it's best to leave the medics alone so they can power up some thugs. That at least gives you a guaranteed 100% Batclaw slam while you look for your next target. You should try to destroy weapons as soon as they arrive, otherwise you'll end up with way too many enemies with shields, stun batons, and assault rifles. For Crime Alley and Monarch Theater just use the same methods; jump and punch. Avoid using special moves unless you have to. Otherwise Practice, you'll get it eventually. Don't stress out. 

• Like 1

Yeah, the DLC trophies have always been weird in this series. Arkham City is the quintessential example of a game that put me in the mindset where I'm totally satisfied by a platinum, and don't need to go for 100%.  In that game, fully completing the challenge maps and campaigns as Batman for the base platinum was worth four bronze trophies and two silver trophies, which is baseline fair for the effort involved, I think.  But doing all of that and more THREE MORE TIMES AS CATWOMAN, ROBIN, AND NIGHTWING was worth a grand total of six bronze trophies. As much as I love these games, and take real pride in my platinums for Arkham Asylum and Arkham City, that was a bridge too far for me.

I'm about 80% of the way to the platinum for Arkham Knight right now - just have Riddler trophy cleanup, a few more AR challenges, New Story +, and a couple miscellaneous trophies to snag. I haven't dived into any of the DLC yet, but from the looks of it, they're at least handing out some silvers for completing AR challenges with multiple characters, and the number of challenges that need to be completed are a little lower.  Still, that could be the Stockholm Syndrome talking.  It's still a ridiculous grind to 100%.  I'm probably going to just do what I did with Arkham City, which is to get the trophies for the story mission DLC that I enjoy and consider the challenge map DLC trophies an acceptable loss.

Also, f*ck racing in the Batmobile.

• Like 3

Yeah, the DLC trophies have always been weird in this series. Arkham City is the quintessential example of a game that put me in the mindset where I'm totally satisfied by a platinum, and don't need to go for 100%.  In that game, fully completing the challenge maps and campaigns as Batman for the base platinum was worth four bronze trophies and two silver trophies, which is baseline fair for the effort involved, I think.  But doing all of that and more THREE MORE TIMES AS CATWOMAN, ROBIN, AND NIGHTWING was worth a grand total of six bronze trophies. As much as I love these games, and take real pride in my platinums for Arkham Asylum and Arkham City, that was a bridge too far for me.

I'm about 80% of the way to the platinum for Arkham Knight right now - just have Riddler trophy cleanup, a few more AR challenges, New Story +, and a couple miscellaneous trophies to snag. I haven't dived into any of the DLC yet, but from the looks of it, they're at least handing out some silvers for completing AR challenges with multiple characters, and the number of challenges that need to be completed are a little lower.  Still, that could be the Stockholm Syndrome talking.  It's still a ridiculous grind to 100%.  I'm probably going to just do what I did with Arkham City, which is to get the trophies for the story mission DLC that I enjoy and consider the challenge map DLC trophies an acceptable loss.

Also, f*ck racing in the Batmobile.

I've only done the Catwoman story based DLC for Arkham City. From the sounds of it the challenge maps and campaign for Catwoman is a lot worse than Batman, who if upgraded in Arkham City has a sweep move that stuns enemies, making them a lot easier to maintain a good combo. Catwoman is a lot weaker and thus can't take many hits, which probably explains the ultra rare trophies.

I got Riddler cleanup, Knightfall Protocol, New Game Plus, Brutality 101 (use 15 different moves in one combo), do all the Predator moves, and two AR star trophies, after those are done I have the platinum.

The Batgirl DLC is fairly easy. Only trouble I had was looking for the collectibles but if you look hard enough you should be able to snag all of them.

Harley Quinn and Red Hood DLC are both story related and only one trophy each. Both only take about 15-20 minutes depending on how good you are, and they're very easy.

Catwoman, Robin and Nightwing DLC are story related just like the previous two but take place after Knightfall Protocol. I ended up spoiling the ending of the main game's story but ahh well. All easy as well.

There are seven silver trophies you earn from seven different characters from earning a certain number of stars. I've only done Robin since I grew bored of doing the challenges but getting these trophies are easy, you can basically switch over to a different character on a particular challenge map, so you should have more than enough leeway to earn enough stars to earn the trophy for the character you're playing.

Season of Infamy DLC is basically more side missions for Batman. They bring back Mad Hatter, Mr Freeze, Croc and Rajh. Fairly straightforward, they're roughly the length of the Manbat side mission.

Then you have SIX different batmobiles you have to race with on various tracks to earn enough stars to gain the trophies. Since I'm bad at racing I can't be bothered to do it all in one go. Maybe I'll give myself another shot.

Finally there are the community challenge maps which are extra challenges you have to fulfill, more than your average challenge map. As of yet I still can't beat Iceberg Lounge, but I'll keep trying.

There is a lot of DLC.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

You are more persistent than I.  Just called it good on Arkham Knight after doing what I enjoyed doing (100% story completion) and skipped what I didn't particularly care for or didn't want to do (AR challenges, NG+, DLC that wasn't free).  I can certainly understand the desire to 100% every game you play, but for me it would seem more like a burden than something that I would have fun doing, and if you're not having fun then what's the point?  Anyway, good luck!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I think I'm going to throw in the towel.

Crime Alley is actually more difficult than Monarch Theatre. A LOT less room to move around and has ninjas in every round. It's bad enough they have to be done totaling SEVEN successful runs with FOUR characters, every character has their own style, what works for Batman probably won't work for Robin, and vice versa. The line up of bad guys is also dependent on the character you're playing, which makes things even more complicated.

Then you have Iceberg Lounge which is the icing of shit on top of the cupcake and by far the worst. You can get hit, lose your combo and take damage sure, but you better be good or else ninjas and enforcers start spawning fairly early. Did I mention guys with shields can spawn in a split second and RUIN your 200 - 300+ combo? That's what happened to me with Batman. Also it's actually better to keep evading and using disarm instead of just punching and countering like you would of done in the previous games, especially Arkham Asylum because well, the combat challenges were A LOT EASIER. Combat in Arkham Knight feels a bit off, which I noticed very early on when I was playing through the story.

I know I said I was going to be a bit persistent and eventually push through. But I almost broke my blue PS4 controller today, and that would cost me over $50 to buy a new one. At least Rocksteady was good enough to put these as silver trophies and not the complete bullshit bronze trophies Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor has for it's "difficult" trophies. Unfortunately I have lost nearly all motivation and dedication, because this is the HARDEST challenge I've done in a long time, comparable with some difficult NES games I played as a kid.

So for now I'm going to download all Riddler trophy guide videos off of Youtube (because I can't be asked to waste 15 - 20 hours just searching for them), play through the story mode once more, get my platinum and be done with it. I will try hard to go for platinums even if one or two trophies are complete bullshit and overly difficult, but I'm not going to go out of my way to go after difficult DLC trophies that are purely optional to begin with. Unless you're a pro in combat and have good reaction timing, by all means go for them. But since I have slow reflexes, anxiety disorders and can't beat Street Fighter II on the hardest difficulty if my life depended on it (much less any real fighting game), I'm just going to pass on these. It's not worth it.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 1