NMS Discoveries, Hints and Tips Thread

MesopithecusUK

Simplified article of this. Leave it to a video game to have me familiarize myself with the Hertzsprung-Russell diagram. Although the wiki article says spectral peculiarity "f" doesn't exist in the real world and it does. What NMS has is stars with "pf" and I don't think that actually exists from my understanding of the subject, unless that means it's "p" and "f" together. I have a layperson's understanding though, if someone's a student of astronomy then share your expertise.

Yup, back when they revealed what classification they used, me and a few fellow beta people went "good".

It's simplified a bit for sure - for instance the breaking point for F and A is actually 7600K and A stars can go a bit higher than 10000, but on the whole they're doing pretty well for a team who placed planets extremely close together because "it looks more awesome". Scientific correctness has never been this game's goal and to that end I think they're doing really well regarding the classification of stars department.

About the oddities: I don't know why they say that F doesn't exist in the real universe, but it's an open source wiki after all because fun fact: all the others seem to be copy-pasted straight from the wiki part about peculiarities. They even keep P as unspecified peculiarity even though on the NMS wiki they're trying to call it oddity. P does exist in our universe though, it's just unspecified (even though, as the normal wiki rightly notes, it means something entirely different if you're using it along with an A star).

I kind of want to know now how the stars actually work in No Man's Sky, did they really put all that attention into it? Because the NMS wiki (which is very young and just therefor should be taken with a pinch of salt) looks like they just copy-pasted some stuff from the regular wiki, we don't really know yet how it is in the game. It might just be in the game that they used "warmer star looks bigger and lighter".

Note: I've taken a course or two in astronomy but I'm by no means an expert, more like an enthousiast.

Edited by BillyHorrible

Yup, back when they revealed what classification they used, me and a few fellow beta people went "good".

It's simplified a bit for sure - for instance the breaking point for F and A is actually 7600K and A stars can go a bit higher than 10000, but on the whole they're doing pretty well for a team who placed planets extremely close together because "it looks more awesome". Scientific correctness has never been this game's goal and to that end I think they're doing really well regarding the classification of stars department.

About the oddities: I don't know why they say that f doesn't exist in the real universe, but it's an open source wiki after all because fun fact: all the others seem to be copy-pasted straight from the wiki part about peculiarities. They even keep p as unspecified peculiarity even though on the NMS wiki they're trying to call it oddity. P does exist in our universe though, it's just unspecified (even though, as the normal wiki rightly notes, it means something entirely different if you're using it along with an A star).

I kind of want to know now how the stars actually work in No Man's Sky, did they really put all that attention into it? Because the NMS wiki (which is very young and just therefor should be taken with a pinch of salt) looks like they just copy-pasted some stuff from the regular wiki, we don't really know yet how it is in the game.

A few other sites are reporting similar (but without the copy paste)  I know for sure that the red stars I have been to were all K classifications, I didn't really look at the numeric or the peculiarities though.  I might make that my mission for tomorrows sessions of play :)

What I wished they did in this game is something they do in Elite: Dangerous for refueling your FTL drive. Instead of basically mixing antimatter in a beaker on your dashboard, you can install a gas scoop on your ship and orbit a star with it open until you're refueled. The caveat is that you have to watch the temperature so you don't cook your ship. It's more efficient for travelling long distances. Elite: Dangerous has an achievement for reaching the center of the galaxy, except it's the actual Milky Way and you're visiting Sagittarius A*.

Well, I did a whole exosuit filled with warp cells worth of jumps. At the last jump, I saw both a red sun and a green sun, the red one was an M class and the green one was indeed an E class.

Figuring out how the green sun would look took the best of me, I'll do a red star on the next jump (and I'll try to find a T-Y one). Since it's already 1AM here, I'll do the jump and save at the space station, then go exploring tomorrow.

The green star has two planets and two moons and lies just over 156K ly from the centre, still in the Euclid galaxy...

giphy.gif

Edited by BillyHorrible

Visiting my first B class and it's overrun with evil spaghetti crabs -_-  Decided to hop to the other nearby planet and whilst devoid of fauna, it has an incredible underground tunnel system which is rich with plutonium, aluminium and vortex cubes.

The outposts also have a different design and coloration

Edited by RachP13

So ..... sad story here ... after around almost 4 days straight NMS gaming ..... and buying big ship ... upgrading almost everything ... 39 slots ... tons of protection and weapons ....  few mil  Units  .... my game crashed while saving ...

End of story is .... i have restart everything because he cant load save file .....

i dont know if i ever come back to it .... but for now game died for me , and im sure a lot of ppl know how fun it was for me .....

If you tried to load the game repeatedly but never turned off your console while trying to troubleshoot, you may want to revisit the game after having turned off your console since the last crash. This same thing happened to me. It wouldn't load my save after trying to start the game a few times. I turned off the console, did something else, came back later and turned the console back on. I was able to load the last save.

If you tried to load the game repeatedly but never turned off your console while trying to troubleshoot, you may want to revisit the game after having turned off your console since the last crash. This same thing happened to me. It wouldn't load my save after trying to start the game a few times. I turned off the console, did something else, came back later and turned the console back on. I was able to load the last save.

na its not working :( it fills the circle but nothing happens .    thx for trying to help :( .  i guess i start new game in few weeks ...  after a longer time not playing game like this i often start new game anyways instead of continueing ..... but the "break" was so forced .

I have a tip for everyone: stay on the light side! I've found that on most planets, the predators will only come out at night. It's not a 100% guarantee but it's pretty often.

So, planet one in my system feels very boring, just an empty rock with green water. Luckily, I set down anyways and near a terminal because the place is loaded with venom sacs, the contents of which go for just over 25K a pop... Shoot a bunch, evade the sentinels and rush back indoors it is!

Second planet, also no life but much more beautiful than the first one. It's got red grass and a couple of plants in between, looks very nice.

Two moons, both boring. One with extreme dust storms and supposedly a little bit of fauna but I couldn't find any, the other just an empty rock.

A bit of a let-down but those are the dangers of exploring, I guess. I was hoping for more because there's no green stars in our own universe (as far as we know) but it's just another random thing I guess, without definite extra's. Will go for a red dwarf next multi-jump.

Quick question: has anyone already tried flying into a sun?

Edited by BillyHorrible

About to do my final jump from a jumpathon again. Can't find any M class red dwarves, let alone L or even T or Y class stars, though I don't even know if No Man's Sky actually uses the L/T/Y classes (for the record, T and Y are hypothetical classes which cannot exist in our own universe because it's too young). I did find a K9 planet though, K9pf with 5 planets even - the number indicates how hot it is in its own class with zero being the hottest, so K9 is a very cool orange dwarf (or maybe in the game even a red dwarf).

Let's find out, shall we?

Edited by BillyHorrible

I explored more and ended up finding an Atlas monolith, which led me to an Atlas space station, and two warp cells, which helped me use up my hyperdrive. Now I am on a planet that I named after my wife because the weather changes every 5 seconds, just like her mood. (She won't ever see this, so I can say it here. But she knows I love her.) I am in the process of trying to discover 100% of what is on that planet. Most fauna and flora on this planet I also have seen on my opening planet. The creatures are....interesting. They look like Deathclaws from Fallout, but they are very passive. They never attack, and will run from you on sight, so I had to be quick with my scans.

The planet is rich in oxides (namely zinc and iron) and carbon. Also plentiful is eremil and heredium. There are a few pockets of plutonium, so I am trying to conserve that. I haven't reached the caves yet, so I am sure there will be plutonium in abundance there. Surprisingly, this is the first planet devoid of sentinels, or at the very least, minimal because I haven't run into one yet.

In space, I did clash with starships and try to help the sentinel ships against its attackers. Something tells me I should probably not be siding with the sentinels. Their ships are much bigger and more ominous. Ultimately, my fight was unsuccessful because my ship isn't big enough yet to withstand that kind of assault. So my next goal after completing exploration of planet Marisa, is to attain as high of an alliance as I can with the Vy'neek, and then maybe buy a ship from one of them.

Edited by ShogunCroCop
  • Like 2

Just discovered this universe is getting smaller....

DSC_0295_zpsmrgik5bo.jpg

DSC_0296_zpsrcsai4rc.jpg

Isn't that the point of the game though, visiting each other's systems?

By the way, I'm multi-jumping to the center now. Meaning I farm for warp cells and then blast ahead, using 25-35 systems as pitstops. I'm not even uploading those as discoveries but I can see why lots of people would have a system on their name without any of the planets.

Isn't that the point of the game though, visiting each other's systems?

I presumed it was reported the universe is so big you would never meet anyone (which you cant anyway).  And tailoring of this statement also means finding someone else's system/planet would be low'ish.

This is only my 8th or 9th warp, and I already have two people in the same system.

BTW, Tooch24, had uploaded a planet in the adjacent system along the atlas path, but not uploaded the system name.

Edited by Ara_Dax

I presumed it was reported the universe is so big you would never meet anyone (which you cant anyway).  And tailoring of this statement also means finding someone else's system/planet would be low'ish.

This is only my 8th or 9th warp, and I already have two people in the same system.

BTW, Tooch24, had uploaded a planet in the adjacent system along the atlas path, but not uploaded the system name.

I've done about two dozen systems now but I'm only going on unexplored systems. I've checked for nearby explored systems and I found one near my starting location (about three jumps away from me) but nothing much really since I started going inward.

P.S. Honestly, this is one of the reasons I wanted to get the game right away. Some peolpe are going to explore so much... It leaves fewer systems for the rest. Won't matter for the most part since there's so many stars out there but I'm worried about the centre of the universe... How many people will start flying around that one eventually, how many systems in a 2K ly radius will be left unexplored?

Edit: Not going to make a completely new post about it here but in the game thoughts thread I've made a big post about my current standpoint.

At this point I'm in doubt about whether to do one of two things:

- Keep the game around, play a bit every once in a while, especially when there's new content

- Sell/trade on the game now it's still worth a damn and get it back a year or so from now to experience all new content at once

I know that I won't play the game for now, it's been 60+ or even 70+ hours and I'm kinda done for now, I want to see other games again. No game ever has had me spend so many hours in such a short time span, but sure enough there has come a point where I've had enough of it and that point came yesterday. I do have the cool steelbook that came with the limited edition though so I may not want to part with it.

Edited by BillyHorrible

Found a planet that's completely barren, no fauna, no flora. There's no temperature extremes to deal with, no radiation, no toxins. The only issue is that it's airless so life support drains slightly faster than normal. And it's a literal gold mine, as in I can't swing a dead cat around my head without hitting gold ready to be mined in one form or another. I named it Lewis, and its moon Malacandra. I'd be disappointed if I and however oversees this server I'm on were the only people seeing what I've been naming these planets.

Tip: Bypass Chips only require 10 Iron and 10 Plutonium to craft, and both materials are plentiful and easy to find. Stock a couple slots in your ship with 500 Iron and 500 Plutonium, then craft and sell the 50 Bypass Chips at a trade terminal. You'll get ~178,000 credits for almost no effort.

I have only warped two times and I just got my first atlas pass, then I think the "tutorial" is done. However, I have yet to encounter a space station; I have seen lots of cargo ships. Are space stations easy to identify and dock with? I have spent a large amount of time on planets, but would love to eventually see and make offers on star ships.

Below is a cool planet discovered, I love the crispy mint green palette.

NMS_zpsursso6nk.jpg 

• Like 2