DLC plans are happening.

Daniel_Shadow170

So if you get a wishywashy answer it's because they don't know how successful the game will be so they can't say either way.

So why not answer the question of, "Will there be DLC?" with an answer like, "We would like to see how the game is received." Why is everyone so allergic to honest, to-the-point answers?

Because saying "No", then turning around and saying "Sorry, we changed our mind!" doesn't make you a "liar" or hurts your credibility.

In fact, that generally does make you a liar, and hurt your credibility, in almost all instances.

This is one of the worst "points" I've ever seen.

Edited by starcrunch061

In fact, that generally does make you a liar, and hurt your credibility, in almost all instances.

I'm not exactly sure what sort of people you surround yourself with that demand that everything you say forever be set in stone, ne'er to be changed, or in fact what standard you set for other people that flexibility and the revisiting of things at a later date is intolerable, but your milieu must honestly be a pain in the ass to live in.

• Like 2

I don't see how changing your mind, or not knowing what your future plans are could ever be considered lying.

People complain about day 1 dlc and season passes without setting out the content in advance all the time. A guy comes out and outlines what the immediate future is for additional content and people lose their minds. Sure he was sketchy on future paid content but he probably genuinely doesn't know. At the end of the day Hello games is a very small studio. This game was pretty nebulous before release with nobody having any clear details on it so they probably thought they best wait to see how the game is received and sells before they put time and resources into making DLC. Until the DLC is released and some clever so and so finds evidence that the content was there all along I think its harsh to call them liars.

As I've said before, personally I don't see the problem with DLC unless its clearly cut from the game (mass effect 3). If you like the game, great, more content for you to enjoy. If you didn't you don't buy it. People need to rethink their priorities if they force themselves into putting more money and time on game they don't even like just for 100%.

I've been paying the same price for brand new 'AAA' games, ~£40, for 20 years. Without DLC giving developers and publishers an extra kick to revenue that just isn't possible to sustain with budgets exploding like they are

Edited by Cleggworth
  • Like 2

WELCOME everyody, to another No Man's Sky troll thread by ShadowStrike002! Man, you're creating so many whine threads, you must really hate the game. You're spending more time complaining about it than I've spent playing it!

http://thisgengaming.com/2016/08/15/sean-murray-says-he-was-perhaps-naive-in-saying-no-mans-sky-wont-have-paid-dlc/

"Yes, that’s a quote directly from Sean Murray; “there will be no paid DLC, just patches.”

“When pushed on whether the game will always remain free, Murray couldn’t categorically rule out paid for DLC further down the line, explaining that it could happen if “Maybe in the future there’s some reason why we just couldn’t possibly afford to do a certain feature without charging for it”.

So what changed this man is laughing at the....consumers is what I'll call you. I hate the dude as a dev,but as a person he's alright keeps lying and not giving a damn.

You're harping on a man because he gave a political answer? They asked him if paid DLC is in the cards, instead of saying "No" he said "Ya never know". Instead of predicting the future and then changing his mind, he said "Ayeuhknow." Ask me if I'm going to take up drinking later on. Probably not, but you never know, I haven't been pissed off at life that much yet. I dunno. And they've already said they're introducing new features as patches later on when they talked about that subject on or about release day. Like being able to get and pilot your own freighter. Different paths instead of the Atlas or Center of the Galaxy path. Etc. Any other game, you guys fawn over the developer because "it's free". These guys, you're ready to castigate them over any perceived fault because it's a niche interest game that got a lot of press. Instead of maybe trying to see if you can try out that niche, or quietly come to the understanding that it's just not your thing, people want to write glowing praise of The Same Fucking Thing Vol #4 and make it their personal mission to sandbag this game without playing a single minute of it.

Indeed everybody who has given the article even a cursory glance can see that it's not "DLC plans are happening" but "we can't rule out that DLC plans are not happening". If you look at the full text from Sean about DLC either back then or now you'll see he's still saying the same thing: he does not want to charge people for DLC. Of course Daily Star being the tabloid that they are first force Sean into a more political answer and then bring it to the people like he has completely changed his mind. And people like Shadow are falling for it because they'll jump on any bad news for this game.

The only problem with Sean is that he loves his game too much and he's more a gamer than a developer, he wants to keep giving people free updates when he could just as well ask money for it. Just like with the "seeing each other" bit, he wanted it to happen and found out in the end that they couldn't get it working right, with so many people potentially needing to be pushed on the same server for a while. He's not even saying that they have to charge for DLC, when beying pressed and pressed he just had to say "no, you're right, I can't 100% rule it out". Perhaps we'll never see paid DLC. perhaps we'll see patches for the light stuff and paid DLC for some heavy stuff. Let's worry when we get there.

Minecraft is charging for those updates, why wouldn't he? Charge people, Sean! That way only the people who deserve it will get it, not those who are whining now and try to get the game once it drops in price and don't want to pay for DLC.

Edited by BillyHorrible
  • Like 2

I won't be surprised if in the future they start adding microtransactions to the game. I was never interested in this game, it's got no real story, the game looks like it would get boring after a short amount of time, the planets seem to duplicate each other frequently, no way they could make 14quadrillion unique planets hahaha. What you'll probably see is new weapons being in the microtransactions and even worse, ship fuel as a microtransaction item. They definitely put a lot of effort into making a huge game, but I prefer quality over quantity, I might be wrong here but I'm not going to pay £45/$60 to find out, I'll buy it when it gets a significant price drop but based on gaming videos that I've watched for this game I really don't see much of a reason to play it yet. 

I don't see how changing your mind, or not knowing what your future plans are could ever be considered lying.

Am I living in a cuckoo clock? Is there some strange misunderstanding here? Saying, "No, I won't do that", and then doing it, makes you a liar, regardless of your motivations, understandings, etc. This has nothing to do with DLC or my feelings about.

Am I living in a cuckoo clock? Is there some strange misunderstanding here? Saying, "No, I won't do that", and then doing it, makes you a liar, regardless of your motivations, understandings, etc. This has nothing to do with DLC or my feelings about.

If you're thinking he has already done it, or still any intention to do so then yeah you're living in a cuckoo clock. All he said was, when the journalist kept annoying and pressing on it, 'no I can't 100% guarantee we'll never do paid DLC'. His intention is still to not do it, he just said that he can't 100% rule it out. As with all of ShadowStrike's threads, fuss is being made without anything actually happening.

I can already tell you one paid DLC tough: VR upgrade. If they release that in the end they'd be stupid to put that out for free, that's so much work they practically have to ask money for it if they ever do it. And just ask anyone actually playing the game what they'd rather want: free patches for a year or so, or paid DLC for two or more years. Anyone playing the game past the thirty hour mark has no trouble at all with funding the devs a bit more.

In a way, it's funny how the people being annoyed by this "news" are people who are not even playing the game. Get of your high horse already and stop whining about a game you have no intention of playing while the rest of us are actually enjoying the game and have no problem with patches, DLC, whatever.

Edited by BillyHorrible

Am I living in a cuckoo clock? Is there some strange misunderstanding here?

Apparently so. Must be a rough place in your world if people give you an answer based on info they have then, then have to give you something different later on if circumstances change, and what's going through your mind is "Liar!"

Edited by damon8r351

I don't have a PS4 yet but I was interested in this game so I've been reading through the threads about it, both good and bad.

I have to say the conduct here between those who love it and hate it has gotten pretty ridiculous. If you don't like it that's all fine and well, no need for multiple threads about it. On the same token those who are playing and enjoying it need to stop being the NMS police and rushing to defend it at every instance like you personally have a stake in its success or failure.

Not trying to ruffle feathers here, just stating what I've seen.

• Like 1

I'm not exactly sure what sort of people you surround yourself with that demand that everything you say forever be set in stone, ne'er to be changed, or in fact what standard you set for other people that flexibility and the revisiting of things at a later date is intolerable, but your milieu must honestly be a pain in the ass to live in.

Is this performance art? Are you being deliberately obtuse? Because comparing the standard to which I hold my best friend to, say, the standard to which I hold a developer might be even dumber than your other "points" in this thread (and you have some doozies). I can't believe this even had to be said. But, it is worth recording that if my best friend does something other than what he said, it's still a lie. My reaction to that lie might be different, but the definition of lie does not change as the agent changes.

So here's the thing: there is absolutely nothing wrong with holding a business accountable for their words, nor with being less flexible about the fibs of a game developer than you might be towards a family member. It doesn't mean you hate niche titles. It doesn't mean you are enamored of your trophy completion. on the contrary, I would say it means you are a sensible, rational consumer.

Now, I refuse to hijack this thread any further. Please, have the last word. Hopefully, it is vastly superior to the previous ones.

In a way, it's funny how the people being annoyed by this "news" are people who are not even playing the game. Get of your high horse already and stop whining about a game you have no intention of playing while the rest of us are actually enjoying the game and have no problem with patches, DLC, whatever.

It's not funny at all. On the contrary, this has little to do with "whining" about a game, and everything to do with expressing discomfort at a growing policy in the industry. It's the same reason that people might express disapproval about episodic titles they have no i terest in (such as Telltale's Minecraft) out of fear regarding titles they might care about (such as Final Final VII).

Some of us take a holistic approach to gaming and its industry, and try not to excuse bad practice simply because we might like a particular title.

I don't have a PS4 yet but I was interested in this game so I've been reading through the threads about it, both good and bad.

I have to say the conduct here between those who love it and hate it has gotten pretty ridiculous. If you don't like it that's all fine and well, no need for multiple threads about it. On the same token those who are playing and enjoying it need to stop being the NMS police and rushing to defend it at every instance like you personally have a stake in its success or failure.

Not trying to ruffle feathers here, just stating what I've seen.

It would be nice for complaints to be kept in one thread as well as possible.

• Like 1

It's not funny at all. On the contrary, this has little to do with "whining" about a game, and everything to do with expressing discomfort at a growing policy in the industry. It's the same reason that people might express disapproval about episodic titles they have no i terest in (such as Telltale's Minecraft) out of fear regarding titles they might care about (such as Final Final VII).

Some of us take a holistic approach to gaming and its industry, and try not to excuse bad practice simply because we might like a particular title.

It would be nice for complaints to be kept in one thread as well as possible.

Sure, make a point about arguing but ignore my actual argument: nothing has happened yet and you're fighting about nothing. There is no paid DLC (yet). Sean is being pretty honest with "I want to do only free patches but I can't guarantee we'll never have to do paid DLC". Problem is, if the game goes on long enough then of course they're going to have to do paid DLC if they want to keep supporting it, and it would even be better if they started with paid DLC. His remark about only doing free patches just wasn't so clever. Now they can only do patches and keep their word, or break their word and give us much more content than they'd be able to do with only patches.

I'm not excusing a bad practice, I just think it's not that big a deal for two points: paid DLC means more content than only free patches because they can support it for longer, and NOTHING HAS HAPPENED YET. Can we just have this fight when there's actually been paid DLC? Then we can also see if it's too soon for paid DLC or if it's been a reasonable amount of time (and then we can fight about if there is such a thing as reasonable amount of time for this). It's getting pretty boring seeing threads pop up with the latest tabloid news.

And at last, you make a point we can agree on. It would be nice to keep all complaints in one thread. Try telling that to the ones who keep making new threads with complaints about the title, because only one of those threads has been from someone who actually has played it.

• Like 1

Is this performance art? Are you being deliberately obtuse? Because comparing the standard to which I hold my best friend to, say, the standard to which I hold a developer might be even dumber than your other "points" in this thread (and you have some doozies). I can't believe this even had to be said. But, it is worth recording that if my best friend does something other than what he said, it's still a lie. My reaction to that lie might be different, but the definition of lie does not change as the agent changes.

I had this long, thought out rebuttal where I pointed out the irony of the obtuse calling the obtuse obtuse, then I realized the real point flew over my head: you just proved my comment for me.

Sure, make a point about arguing but ignore my actual argument: nothing has happened yet and you're fighting about nothing. There is no paid DLC (yet). Sean is being pretty honest with "I want to do only free patches but I can't guarantee we'll never have to do paid DLC". Problem is, if the game goes on long enough then of course they're going to have to do paid DLC if they want to keep supporting it, and it would even be better if they started with paid DLC. His remark about only doing free patches just wasn't so clever. Now they can only do patches and keep their word, or break their word and give us much more content than they'd be able to do with only patches.

I'm not excusing a bad practice, I just think it's not that big a deal for two points: paid DLC means more content than only free patches because they can support it for longer, and NOTHING HAS HAPPENED YET. Can we just have this fight when there's actually been paid DLC? Then we can also see if it's too soon for paid DLC or if it's been a reasonable amount of time (and then we can fight about if there is such a thing as reasonable amount of time for this). It's getting pretty boring seeing threads pop up with the latest tabloid news.

And at last, you make a point we can agree on. It would be nice to keep all complaints in one thread. Try telling that to the ones who keep making new threads with complaints about the title, because only one of those threads has been from someone who actually has played it.

Fair enough. Your point is well made.

• Like 1

Fair enough. Your point is well made.

Thank you, that's very mature. And if I (or others) have come across as rude or seem(s) rude in the future then please remember that with so many threads with people complaining, many of which haven't played the game, and many with half or less of the actual truth, with a fair amount of people intentionally twisting words just to cause a fight. Because of what the game is, it is already caused a rift between the people who played it, and now they also have to defend the game against people who have no intention of playing it and are just hating on it because it's a high profile indie game with a big price tag. Not saying that's you per se, just in general.

Edited by Stevieboy

I'm just going off the article, but I think he gave a fair and honest answer. The guy is human, cut him some slack. I don't know the guy or anything, but my guess would be that he was probably caught up in some of the game's own hype when he promised there'd be no paid DLC. 

He replaced the initial promise with: 

Maybe in the future there’s some reason why we just couldn’t possibly afford to do a certain feature without charging for it

I think it's unfair to freak out and start accusing him of lies. The second promise is still incredibly generous these days, and is still a statement of intent that there will not be any price tag on new content unless they absolutely can't afford to release it for free.

It's basically the same promise, with a completely reasonable caveat. 

• Like 2