Resident Evil 2 Remake MIGHT not have fixed camera angles

TheAveryChu

I hope there's at least an option that let you switch between fixed camera angles and modern controls, kind of like the Easter Egg found on the Lost in Nightmares DLC chapter for RE5. I think that would be a great way to please both fans and new players :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGG5HduIfJU

Edited by Finozzi1696
  • Like 4

I hope there's at least an option that let you switch between fixed camera angles and modern controls, kind of like the Easter Egg found on the Lost in Nightmares DLC chapter for RE5. I think that would be a great way to please both fans and new players :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGG5HduIfJU

This is exactly what I was asking for when RE2make was announced. I personally love the RE4-RE5 playstyle, and I always wished I could experience earlier RE games in a similar manner, although I know there are a lot of fans that would want an experience closer to the original.

Let's hope that our wishes are realized in the final product.

• Like 1

I don't understand why they just can't do something like Resident Evil Remake for RE2. Look at how well received that game was, even when it was re-released on PSN, XBL, and PC. If they're not going to stick with the same kind of formula, then I'm not sure I want them to remake it in the first place.

I believe that's because the RE1 remake was made when Shinji Mikami (RE's creator) was still working with Capcom and it was released before RE4 was made and so before the franchise changed its genre to a more action-focused gameplay.

Now we're on the post-RE4 action era of the franchise, so fixed camera angles are seen like something outdated unfortunately. Remastering RE1 remake was an easy task since it doesn't involve too much money investment to remaster a game as opposed to make one from scratch, and since its backgrounds were all pre-rendered they couldn't change its camera to an over-the-shoulder one, so they just remastered as it is and it became a success.

Now since they are remaking and not remastering RE2 from scratch and they don't want to lose more potential sales from "action players" that's why they are choosing to go with modern controls instead of the original ones. Like I said I hope there's at least an option to change between them!

This is why I don't think the RE2 remake is going to be near as good, well done and faithful like the RE1 remake was, because Mikami is not working with Capcom anymore and nowadays things like fixed camera angles aren't popular anymore (although Until Dawn had them and it was well received). Not to mention I believe they are probably going to put some action elements from recent titles into this remake, like checkpoints, easier puzzles, a more comfortable inventory, maybe even partners that have weapons and help you along the way, etc...

Edited by Finozzi1696

I believe that's because the RE1 remake was made when Shinji Mikami (RE's creator) was still working with Capcom and it was released before RE4 was made and so before the franchise changed its genre to a more action-focused gameplay.

Now we're on the post-RE4 action era of the franchise, so fixed camera angles are seen like something outdated unfortunately. Remastering RE1 remake was an easy task since it doesn't involve too much money investment to remaster a game as opposed to make one from scratch, and since its backgrounds were all pre-rendered they couldn't change its camera to an over-the-shoulder one, so they just remastered as it is and it became a success.

Now since they are remaking and not remastering RE2 from scratch and they don't want to lose more potential sales from "action players" that's why they are choosing to go with modern controls instead of the original ones. Like I said I hope there's at least an option to change between them!

I wasn't really speaking about the cost of remastering REmake, or whether or not they might have liked to change its fixed camera angles. I was just pointing out that it sold very well and was very well received, both on its initial release and when it was re-released. I'd think that would be enough to show them that people still want that kind of RE experience. Considering the fact that RE7 is going to be focused on horror, as opposed to action, I also don't understand why they would be worried about losing the action crowd anyway.

Edited by Princess Jenni

I wasn't really speaking about the cost of remastering REmake, or whether or not they might have liked to change its fixed camera angles. I was  just pointing out that it sold very well and was very well received, both on its initial release and when it was re-released. I'd think that would be enough to show them that people still want that kind of RE experience. Considering the fact that RE7 is going to be focused on horror, as opposed to action, I also don't understand why they would be worried about losing the action crowd anyway.

I know but what I meant to say is that money has a big part on that decision (especially since this time it will cost more to remake the game from scratch, so they want to earn as many profit as they can get), so that's why they will probably be going with modern controls with this new remake, since fixed camera angles would probably not appeal to many people, especially those that became a fan of the franchise after RE4 was released. Keep in mind that to this date RE5 is the best selling one of all of them, and that's because is an action game that appealed to many people that weren't a fan of the Survival Horror or their old gameplay style.

Edited by Finozzi1696

Resident Evil Remake was exceptional. It's the perfect example of how to remake a game. It stayed true to the original, yet it improved upon it in many different ways. It's perfect.

I'll be very disappointed if they start messing with things as important as the camera angles. The moment you start doing that, it's no longer a remake, but more of a re-imagining. It's like how FFVII Remake is changing the battle system from turn based to real time battles. It won't feel anything like how it was. It's a totally new game at that point, just with familiar story elements. Surely the sales of the REmake remaster show how much people want that kind of game. Please don't fuck this up, Capcom. This was the one game I was hoping you would get right out of everything. 

• Like 3

This is sounding worse and worse to me personally. also i watched that and she "asked" if they confirmed it.

The moment you start doing that, it's no longer a remake, but more of a re-imagining. It's like how FFVII Remake is changing the battle system from turn based to real time battles. It won't feel anything like how it was. It's a totally new game at that point, just with familiar story elements.

I have been saying this but people (not here) keep saying that it is still just a remake.

a re-imagining is ANY drastic change from the original formula.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/179835-resident-evil-2-remake/74128928

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/179835-resident-evil-2-remake/74192206

It seems to be a very small minority that want over the should er camera but they seem to be the most vocal as well. but then again aren't the minorities always the loudest.

there is nothing wrong with either however they keep claiming they want to "re-capture" the original feel of the game. You cannot do that by changing the camera to a different style. the game also ceases to be a remake at that point and becomes the same thing as The 2 Chronicle games which is a re-imagining.

I do not feel that an over the shoulder would work to preserve the feel of RE2. Now if there is a option for either (by all means give people the choice) or that could work but the 2 would "feel" so different they might as well be 2 separate games.

It seems to be a very small minority that want over the should er camera but they seem to be the most vocal as well. but then again aren't the minorities always the loudest.

It seems like the exact opposite to me. Almost everyone I talked to wants fixed camera angles or the option to switch between the two. Going onto Resident Evil's Facebook page, their comment section is full of people demanding fixed angles and claiming how the last few games aren't Resident Evil.

Of course all this is just anecdotal.

I personally hope it is OTS or at least there is an option. I HATED the tank controls on the old RE games, the first remake and Zero. I know it was part of the appeal and is perhaps more suitable for survival horror but it would feel horribly outdated now. The switch to OTS suited RE4's action-focused gameplay but I really enjoyed the zombie segments of RE6 and it went to show how well OTS could work when fighting zombies. But that's just me, I'll play it however it turns out.

Edited by MeteorHawk

I personally hope it is OTS or at least there is an option. I HATED the tank controls on the old RE games, the first remake and Zero. I know it was part of the appeal and is perhaps more suitable for survival horror but it would feel horribly outdated now. The switch to OTS suited RE4's action-focused gameplay but I really enjoyed the zombie segments of RE6 and it went to show how well OTS could work when fighting zombies. But that's just me, I'll play it however it turns out.

Well it seems to me like you're more of a fan of action games than survival horror games. In that case, you have RE4, RE5, RE6, and the Revelation games to enjoy. Resident Evil 2 on the other hand is a pure survival horror game. Unlike later games in the series, fighting zombies was never the focus of the game. In a lot of situations, it's better to run away instead of killing them, especially with the limited amount of ammo you have. While an over the shoulder view would suit a game where the emphasis is on action and killing, it doesn't suit a game like Resident Evil 2. You kill way more enemies in the first 15 minutes of RE4 than you did the entirety of RE2, so it makes sense there. The fixed camera angles help create an atmosphere and a level of tension like an OTS camera could never do. Having it in there would take away from a lot of what makes the game special.

Edited by Undead Wolf
  • Like 3

Well it seems to me like you're more of a fan of action games than survival horror games. In that case, you have RE4, RE5, RE6, and the Revelation games to enjoy. Resident Evil 2 on the other hand is a pure survival horror game. Unlike later games in the series, fighting zombies was never the focus of the game. In a lot of situations, it's better to run away instead of killing them, especially with the limited amount of ammo you have. While an over the shoulder view would suit a game where the emphasis is on action and killing, it doesn't suit a game like Resident Evil 2. You kill way more enemies in the first 15 minutes of RE4 than you did the entirety of RE2, so it makes sense there. The fixed camera angles help create an atmosphere and a level of tension like an OTS camera could never do. Having it in there would take away from a lot of what makes the game special.

That was an awesome explanation, and I 100% agree with it! sadly Capcom probably won't think that way, so hopefully they will implement a way to alternate between "classic controls" and "modern controls".

I don't know how are they going to implement an over the shoulder camera on the game though, giving that they'll need to "find a way to take advantage" of that camera and give the player more things to shoot more often, so I guess they are going to implement more enemies.

Hopefully it doesn't become like Revelations, in my opinion those games, although being more faithful to the original REs they still had too many action elements for my taste (kicking and punching enemies, partners, etc).

Edited by Finozzi1696

The fixed camera angles help create an atmosphere and a level of tension like an OTS camera could never do. Having it in there would take away from a lot of what makes the game special.

I beg to differ about an OTS view not creating tension like fixed cameras. The Evil Within uses an OTS perspective and it has some of the most intense moments in survival horror I've had to endure. The total lack of ammo and the insane difficulty of surviving, coupled with the frenetic music really served to heighten the tension of the game. 

Having an over the shoulder view does not mean a game cannot be as intense as a game with a fixed camera.

• Like 1

That was an awesome explanation, and I 100% agree with it! sadly Capcom probably won't think that way, so hopefully they will implement a way to alternate between "classic controls" and "modern controls".

I don't know how are they going to implement an over the shoulder camera on the game though, giving that they'll need to "find a way to take advantage" of that camera and give the player more things to shoot more often, so I guess they are going to implement more enemies.

Hopefully it doesn't become like Revelations, in my opinion those games, although being more faithful to the original REs they still had too many action elements for my taste (kicking and punching enemies, partners, etc).

Hehe, thanks. Even having the option of an OTS camera would fundamentally change the way the game would be played. In the over the shoulder RE games for example, you shoot the enemies weak point, run up to them and melee, etc. You can headshot them whenever you want. It wasn't like that in the classic Resident Evil games. You can't do that kind of stuff from a fixed camera angle. It also makes combat a much more integral part of the game than it was ever supposed to be. You fought enemies in the classic RE games as a last resort, not because they were between you and your goal. And like you said, there's just not enough enemies in RE2 to even justify the OTS camera, so they would most likely add more enemies to kill in. At that point, it's just getting further and further from what Resident Evil 2 is. Don't call it a remake if you're changing that much about it.

I beg to differ about an OTS view not creating tension like fixed cameras. The Evil Within uses an OTS perspective and it has some of the most intense moments in survival horror I've had to endure. The total lack of ammo and the insane difficulty of surviving, coupled with the frenetic music really served to heighten the tension of the game. 

Having an over the shoulder view does not mean a game cannot be as intense as a game with a fixed camera.

Well that's the difference between games like The Evil Within to the classic Resident Evil games. The "intense moments" are more about how many enemies you're up against than making each encounter a memorable one. In the classic RE games, you didn't kill hundreds upon thousands of enemies, but that's what made it scary. Each zombie is a threat. In a game like The Evil Within, the generic enemy is nothing more than cannon fodder. I loved The Evil Within, but I never felt like I couldn't deal with what was in front of me. The game gives you all the tools you need to survive. If you kill an enemy, they will drop ammo or health. You are a killing machine, and there's no reason to fear them. You don't need "frenetic music" to make a situation tense. It's no more a horror game than RE4 is.

A fixed camera angle makes you uncertain of what is around the next corner. It's more cinematic, allows for better jump scares, and you only see what the developer wants you to see. They are able to frame it in any way they like to create the kind of atmosphere they intended. An OTS camera doesn't have the same feel. If something "scary" happened, you might not even see it depending on where you're looking. Fixed camera angles = horror. Over the shoulder = action.

• Like 3

Hehe, thanks. Even having the option of an OTS camera would fundamentally change the way the game would be played. In the over the shoulder RE games for example, you shoot the enemies weak point, run up to them and melee, etc. You can headshot them whenever you want. It wasn't like that in the classic Resident Evil games. You can't do that kind of stuff from a fixed camera angle. It also makes combat a much more integral part of the game than it was ever supposed to be. You fought enemies in the classic RE games as a last resort, not because they were between you and your goal. And like you said, there's just not enough enemies in RE2 to even justify the OTS camera, so they would most likely add more enemies to kill in. At that point, it's just getting further and further from what Resident Evil 2 is. Don't call it a remake if you're changing that much about it.

Well that's the difference between games like The Evil Within to the classic Resident Evil games. The "intense moments" are more about how many enemies you're up against than making each encounter a memorable one. In the classic RE games, you didn't kill hundreds upon thousands of enemies, but that's what made it scary. Each zombie is a threat. In a game like The Evil Within, the generic enemy is nothing more than cannon fodder. I loved The Evil Within, but I never felt like I couldn't deal with what was in front of me. The game gives you all the tools you need to survive. If you kill an enemy, they will drop ammo or health. You are a killing machine, and there's no reason to fear them. You don't need "frenetic music" to make a situation tense. It's no more a horror game than RE4 is.

A fixed camera angle makes you uncertain of what is around the next corner. It's more cinematic, allows for better jump scares, and you only see what the developer wants you to see. They are able to frame it in any way they like to create the kind of atmosphere they intended. An OTS camera doesn't have the same feel. If something "scary" happened, you might not even see it depending on where you're looking. Fixed camera angles = horror. Over the shoulder = action.

Again such an awesome explanation, we share the same thoughts! :D

I mean I don't hate the over the shoulder camera, I still think there's a way to actually capture the feel of pure Survival Horror but I don't think developers have found that way yet, mostly because giving a game an over the shoulder camera means you have to put more action elements to make the game take advantage of that camera and thus secure more potential sales from "OTS lovers". I don't really know how to explain this  :unsure:

And so I was a little disappointed with The Evil Within in that aspect, for me it was just another "Revelations" game. It's scary at times but to me it had way too much ammo and action elements, it was just another RE4 instead of a RE1 which is what I wanted to see again. 

The problem with The Evil Within is that even without weapons you could punch and kill enemies using your bare hands or just by picking up some random object from the floor, so even without having guns or ammo you still felt capable of killing enemies and thus taking the fear factor away. This didn't happened in the old REs were the only way to defend yourself was to have a loaded weapon, if your weapon was empty you were pretty much defenseless giving that there wasn't another way to hurt enemies, and the knife was extremely weak to even consider using it and running away from enemies was just a better way to deal with them, and even running away was some times difficult giving that the characters didn't run that fast to begin with, unlike in recent titles.

If developers could make a horror game with an over the shoulder camera but minimal action elements (no kicking, no punching, not make your character capable of running like Usain Bolt, etc...) I believe that could be a way to make OTS camera feel scary.

I know there are games that people said are very scary and uses a OTS camera like Dead Space but I haven't played them yet so I can't give a proper opinion about them for now.

Edited by Finozzi1696
  • Like 1

Meh, ever since they announced that they brought in that fan team that was doing the OTS remake I knew this would happen, and to tell you the truth I don't care anymore, I'm tired of fighting this over with Capcom, they're not giving me what I want then I'm not giving them what they want, I've bought the Original Collection on release, even though I already owned the original GC versions as well as the original Saturn/PS1/DS versions of the original game, I've bought used copies of RE4 (PS2), RE5, RE6, ORC, Rev and Rev2 so now it's their move, you want my money? Or you don't care? Either way, I win.

Meh, ever since they announced that they brought in that fan team that was doing the OTS remake I knew this would happen, and to tell you the truth I don't care anymore, I'm tired of fighting this over with Capcom, they're not giving me what I want then I'm not giving them what they want, I've bought the Original Collection on release, even though I already owned the original GC versions as well as the original Saturn/PS1/DS versions of the original game, I've bought used copies of RE4 (PS2), RE5, RE6, ORC, Rev and Rev2 so now it's their move, you want my money? Or you don't care? Either way, I win.

gotta agree with you, undead and finozzi. they might as well just make a new game. what i do not understand is how they keep saying "we want to re-capture the feel of the original games" in response to RE2 and RE7 yet they are doing such dramatic changes it would be impossible to get that same feeling.

• Like 1