So I need to be online but it's primarily single player?

AJ_Radio

I've long wanted to delve into the Need for Speed franchise because I prefer racers that don't necessarily place strict time scores and challenges like Gran Turismo and many other racing games do. I've looked at other games on this website and the majority of them require some sort of boosting, and with older PS3 games that can be a bit of a problem.

So EA decides last fall to release Need for Speed but requires everybody to be online, much like the Diablo III fiasco back in 2012. PSN hasn't really been the best these past couple months and I've heard of many being booted out simply for the network being laggy/unstable.

Unfortunately I am stuck with a crap internet provider that charges premium prices for abysmal service. Anybody who had Comcast, Time Warner, Frontier, CenturyLink, Fairpoint Communications and other ISPs can probably relate to this. Verizon changed a huge portion of their customers over to Frontier this past Spring, and thousands of customers suddenly found their speeds were unstable and the service itself a catastrophe. I find it unfair on so many levels that people in Europe, South Korea, Japan and other areas of the world can easily access their internet with absolutely no problems in regards to pricing and reliability. My ISP is anything but dependable. So if anybody is curious why I barely have any online trophies to my name, this is why.

I've played an extensive amount of Red Dead Redemption and Grand Theft Auto V a few years ago, and mostly found them okay, but not great when it came to being connected to their servers. But that was on the PS3. The PS4, especially now with Pro, has higher visuals, full 1080P resolution, and games typically ranging from 20 GBs to over 50 GBs. I'm very hesitant to do DOOM 2016 Multiplayer, I'm even afraid to play Uncharted 4's multiplayer. Due to life concerns and a lack of finances I will be unable to move into a new area until next summer at the very least. It sucks, and people here who have top of the line fiber optics internet should feel very grateful of what they have.

Going back to Need for Speed, I've long disliked EA for their malicious practices including forced DLC and very early server closures. Someone wishing to play Madden but finds the servers have closed, tough luck. EA has a long track record of false advertising and abuse, someone even mentioned a case where a man worked seven days a week with no overtime pay.

Is it as easy as your console being connected to the internet? Or is there more I need to be wary about?

I've long wanted to delve into the Need for Speed franchise because I prefer racers that don't necessarily place strict time scores and challenges like Gran Turismo and many other racing games do. I've looked at other games on this website and the majority of them require some sort of boosting, and with older PS3 games that can be a bit of a problem.

So EA decides last fall to release Need for Speed but requires everybody to be online, much like the Diablo III fiasco back in 2012. PSN hasn't really been the best these past couple months and I've heard of many being booted out simply for the network being laggy/unstable.

Unfortunately I am stuck with a crap internet provider that charges premium prices for abysmal service. Anybody who had Comcast, Time Warner, Frontier, CenturyLink, Fairpoint Communications and other ISPs can probably relate to this. Verizon changed a huge portion of their customers over to Frontier this past Spring, and thousands of customers suddenly found their speeds were unstable and the service itself a catastrophe. I find it unfair on so many levels that people in Europe, South Korea, Japan and other areas of the world can easily access their internet with absolutely no problems in regards to pricing and reliability. My ISP is anything but dependable. So if anybody is curious why I barely have any online trophies to my name, this is why.

I've played an extensive amount of Red Dead Redemption and Grand Theft Auto V a few years ago, and mostly found them okay, but not great when it came to being connected to their servers. But that was on the PS3. The PS4, especially now with Pro, has higher visuals, full 1080P resolution, and games typically ranging from 20 GBs to over 50 GBs. I'm very hesitant to do DOOM 2016 Multiplayer, I'm even afraid to play Uncharted 4's multiplayer. Due to life concerns and a lack of finances I will be unable to move into a new area until next summer at the very least. It sucks, and people here who have top of the line fiber optics internet should feel very grateful of what they have.

Going back to Need for Speed, I've long disliked EA for their malicious practices including forced DLC and very early server closures. Someone wishing to play Madden but finds the servers have closed, tough luck. EA has a long track record of false advertising and abuse, someone even mentioned a case where a man worked seven days a week with no overtime pay.

Is it as easy as your console being connected to the internet? Or is there more I need to be wary about?

I have a pretty good internet connection myself and it rarely goes down but I had no problem getting the plat. There were maybe two times the EA servers were down but they were being DDOSed so it wasn't really their fault. All the DLC for the game has come in free patches and they actually added some decent stuff. Drag and Drift races along with some other things. The only thing I didn't care for is that it is nearly always night time. Here and there it will be early morning or dusk, but it is never sunny, mid-day.

The game looks fairly good, I really like the live actors they used.

So all that needs to happen is my system is connected? I very rarely if ever get booted out, it's just my internet is a lot slower compared to yours. Now what I will say is there were two online trophies I obtained in Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor and Assassins Creed Black Flag. For Middle Earth I just happened to be doing the side quests when a Vendetta mission appeared with somebody's name attached to it. Once I did it, the trophy popped. For Black Flag you need to be connected to Ubisoft's servers and unfortunately for some reason I was getting booted out of them on occasion. It's simply finding an event whether it's a whale or a treasure chest, and all you need is to interact with it to get the trophy.

I'm assuming for Need for Speed I need to be connected to EA's servers, not just the Playstation Network. I should be pretty okay as long as I'm online even with a slow internet?

Edited by Spastic

Amazing game...for me at least. You have to be connected online and to the EA servers. Hardly had issues with the servers but other then that I enjoy the most part of it. One or two tricky races but nothing exhausting. Enjoyable platinum. The only issue i had with the game is that once you get the Plat then is nothing else to do.  

• 1 year later...
On 9/30/2016 at 10:14 AM, Spaz said:

There's the DLC of course. First DLC pack seems alright not sure about the second one.

So in the end you didn't get the game? Just asking because I just got it on the flashsale and was checking the forum posts about it. Btw, it's one of the games whose base price is still higher in Europe than in the US (29,99EUR compared to 19,99USD) and its lowest price ever in Europe is still 2x the price it is offered for at this flashsale (Persona 4 Golden is the opposite - base price 19,99USD vs. 9EUR).

6 hours ago, det_gittes said:

So in the end you didn't get the game? Just asking because I just got it on the flashsale and was checking the forum posts about it. Btw, it's one of the games whose base price is still higher in Europe than in the US (29,99EUR compared to 19,99USD) and its lowest price ever in Europe is still 2x the price it is offered for at this flashsale (Persona 4 Golden is the opposite - base price 19,99USD vs. 9EUR).

I decided to drop this game off my wishlist.

I'm absolutely terrible at racing games, and those prestige events look like a real nightmare to tackle.

• 5 months later...
57 minutes ago, Light-and-magic said:

Really? PST's trophy guide says it isn't necessary, seems silly since there's no trophies for competing with other players at all..

Well now that I think of it maybe not for the plat but I think you might for the 100% because of the Wrap trophies. I could be wrong though. It has been years since I have played the game.

• 3 years later...

Indeed, you need Internet access to play the game (even in solo).

But you don't need PS+ to play, just an EA account.

If your Internet is slow, the game may kick you out.

And at least once a day, EA's server will shutdown for maintenance and the game will kick you out.

The game will be dead when the server will stop.

This is very frustrating, even more if you are in a long race near the end :angry:

• 9 months later...

So if I understand correctly, when EA shuts down their servers this game would be impossible to play at all? Even single player in solo? Or it just requires internet connection (not necessarily connection to EA servers)? I was thinking of starting this game in next few months ( already have big backlog on PS4 ) but if that is the case then its totally rubbish and pointless in the first place.

• Like 1