Online and Offline Plat should be Separated

markikswabe

Some are awful agreed, but seperating would just be a hassle. If its too ridiculous then just leave it at least you can show you have done the offline part. However, not all online trophies are horrible. Some are reasonable, but the 100+ hours just make so that the hardcore trophy hunters will get it. Thats the point of them. Not everyone will get them.

Edited by Edddyy

I purchased Overlord II because I was interested in the game and at the time of its release I was not trying to obtain trophies. I tried to play the MP but like I said, no one played it and now the servers are closed on my end.

That has happened to me far too many times! :shakefist:

I have really mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, I can't imagine certain games without online trophies, like it wouldn't make sense for fighting games, racing games, sports games or FPS games to not have some online trophies to show that you have faced off against other people. On the other hand, the fact that 97+% of online trophies are so easily boostable, makes them kind of completely meaningless and pointless.

Take Abstergo Employee of the Month, from AC:Brotherhood for instance. This is a very difficult trophy to earn by playing legit against randoms. Not impossible, but very difficult. So many, many people are boosting this trophy, which completely takes away from the people who earn it legit. Don't get me wrong, I don't care if people boost and did it myself for that particular trophy, just want to point out that it makes the whole thing kind of pointless.

So why do I boost if I think it's pointless? Cause I want my plat obviously :P But also, there's another side to the coin of how onlines trophies are pointless, which is the random skill of your opponent. Take a trophy like "I'm Not Dead Yet" from Mortal Kombat, for instance. This trophy can also be boosted quite easily. But suppose I decide I want to do it "legit". So I play a hundred ranked matches and finally I get paired up with someone who completely sucks balls at Mortal Kombat and has yet to find the block button. Does earning the trophy off this completely random n00b make it more of an achievement than if I just ask the first person I'm paired against to give the trophy on round one in exchange for a free win?

I think Uncharted 2 took a really good approach, like some people pointed out, putting online trophies, or at least the bulk of them, in a DLC, gives people the option to still get platinum and ignore those trophies if they don't think it's worth it. The only problem here is that it means you have to buy the DLC to get 100% which is kind of annoying as well. When I borrow a game from my friend I want to get 100% without having to shell out $2.99, damn greedy game companies taking advantage of my trophy whore mentality :P

As for the servers being shut down. I don't think it's as expensive to run these servers as some people think. When I see a company like EA shutting down it's servers 2 years after the game is realeased, I think to myself, I will try to avoid EA games at all cost.

• Like 1

I just *hate* online trophies and wish companies would get rid of them.

The only games I play online are Uncharted 2 and 3.

And I'm still not a good player in competitive game modes. It would take me an eternity to grind the 2500 kills for the second game and despite liking this game, it's just no fun.

And I'm not even a sore loser.

I just like coop more, and most trophies in games aren't coop but competitive. And ridiculous as well.

The only online-trophies that should be in a game, are trophies that make you check out the MP-modes and that's that.

So the companies had people take a look at the MP and maybe they get lucky and you like it.

They could still offer to download additional trophies for the trophy-list or a separate trophy-list for online modes (I don't care if there would be another platinum or not).

As Iporiginalg said, tons of trophy hunters boost those trophies anyway.

And not because they're bad gamers, but because most trophies are just plain stupid and take too long to get.

I like playing games (not just one) and don't want to stay with a single one for 50+ hours because of online-trophies alone.

As soon as a game has online trophies I doubt I could get within some hours I tend to get the game for the Xbox 360.

I won't get it for the Ps3, because I don't want to ruin my trophy list. My profile isn't the best, but I don't intend to make it worse, because somebody wants to force me to play online.

Especially when I'm not good and probably just have to wait for the first insult-messages.

Nope, thanks.

Then I enjoy the game on the 360 (and with the better controller ;) )

I can't find the link right now, but there are statistics that show, the games with online-trophies are far less platinumed then those without them.

And I don't think it's because so many people suck at online, but because tons of the online-trophies overstate the case.

So, yeah, I might be able to live with online-trophies, where you have to peek into the MP, but I would dance like a penguin if they get rid of trophies, where you have to be overly skilled.

Then my money goes to MS, because I care less about my gamerscore (don't play online at all with the 360), then about my trophies...

Yes, well... now you can stone me ;)

I just *hate* online trophies and wish companies would get rid of them.

The only games I play online are Uncharted 2 and 3.

And I'm still not a good player in competitive game modes. It would take me an eternity to grind the 2500 kills for the second game and despite liking this game, it's just no fun.

And I'm not even a sore loser.

I just like coop more, and most trophies in games aren't coop but competitive. And ridiculous as well.

The only online-trophies that should be in a game, are trophies that make you check out the MP-modes and that's that.

So the companies had people take a look at the MP and maybe they get lucky and you like it.

They could still offer to download additional trophies for the trophy-list or a separate trophy-list for online modes (I don't care if there would be another platinum or not).

As Iporiginalg said, tons of trophy hunters boost those trophies anyway.

And not because they're bad gamers, but because most trophies are just plain stupid and take too long to get.

I like playing games (not just one) and don't want to stay with a single one for 50+ hours because of online-trophies alone.

As soon as a game has online trophies I doubt I could get within some hours I tend to get the game for the Xbox 360.

I won't get it for the Ps3, because I don't want to ruin my trophy list. My profile isn't the best, but I don't intend to make it worse, because somebody wants to force me to play online.

Especially when I'm not good and probably just have to wait for the first insult-messages.

Nope, thanks.

Then I enjoy the game on the 360 (and with the better controller ;) )

I can't find the link right now, but there are statistics that show, the games with online-trophies are far less platinumed then those without them.

And I don't think it's because so many people suck at online, but because tons of the online-trophies overstate the case.

So, yeah, I might be able to live with online-trophies, where you have to peek into the MP, but I would dance like a penguin if they get rid of trophies, where you have to be overly skilled.

Then my money goes to MS, because I care less about my gamerscore (don't play online at all with the 360), then about my trophies...

Yes, well... now you can stone me ;)

True! Games that require online play for trophies in the future will probably people off them. I currently have 10 games to crack open and play but I can't as they require to much online play.

"Can't" is incorrect, as Plants vs Zombies for the Vita has shown. The requirements for Lucky Spin were changed with a patch. So, clearly they can change the requirements of trophies.

Trophies exist for the same reason anything within a game exists. That has nothing to do with the issue at hand, which is having trophies that are unobtainable due to the closing of an online server. There is no excuse for leaving games in such a state.

I guess, to me, it seems like changing the requirements for a trophy for everyone (which I wouldn't have a problem with in the case of a closed server) is different than having the option from the get go to earn a platinum without doing online trophies that other people have to get, which is what I thought he was suggesting.

The majority of ps3 owners could probably give two shits less if they get a platinum in a game, so game companies changing online trophies is very doubtful.

As for the servers being shut down. I don't think it's as expensive to run these servers as some people think. When I see a company like EA shutting down it's servers 2 years after the game is realeased, I think to myself, I will try to avoid EA games at all cost.

The servers are shutdown every 2 years on their sports games so you buy an updated copy of the game.

• Like 3

I guess, to me, it seems like changing the requirements for a trophy for everyone (which I wouldn't have a problem with in the case of a closed server) is different than having the option from the get go to earn a platinum without doing online trophies that other people have to get, which is what I thought he was suggesting.

That may be what he was trying to suggest. But that definitely wasn't what I was suggesting. I'm not sure why anyone would have a problem with changing the requirements to compensate for the lack of an online server. Even if someone believes one should have to complete them online, you would at least still know whether anyone did so or not, due to the timestamps.

I can understand the frustration for older games that have dead online communities. If I find an older game that I want to play, I'm still going to play it even if the MP trophies disallow a platinum. However, a separate platinum for MP? I don't want that. Maybe we should not worry so much about trophies, and just enjoy the games.