Online and Offline Plat should be Separated

markikswabe

I think it would be best if Sony would separate the Online Platinum trophy from the Offline Platinum Trophy instead of one.

The reason behind this is not all would like to play with others online and some really not good at playing the online due to slow internet connections. Also, sometimes game servers are bad that they are not good at connecting gamers online. Furthermore, if you bought an old game and it has some online trophies. It will be impossible to plat it since the servers maybe down at that time.

If they would separate the online and offline plat, It would be great in my opinion.

What are your thoughts about this?

Edited by markikswabe

I understand the wish. And yeah this would be pretty cool. But Sony doesn't decide what trophies make a list. Thats why Xbox achievements are the same as trophies. [Most of the time]

But Yes it would be nice. But its seemed to work for this long. I can't see any reason to try and fix something that isn't broken. But this is my personal opinion so take it as you may.

• Like 1

While I myself dislike online trophies, seperating platinums into two different catagories seems a bit much.

Platinum trophy (to me) means that one has finished if not 100% then a major portion of a game.

Online is just as much a part of a game as offline is.

In my humbly humble opinion.

Agreed B-)

Edited by ANTIOX_

While I myself dislike online trophies, seperating platinums into two different catagories seems a bit much.

Platinum trophy (to me) means that one has finished if not 100% then a major portion of a game.

Also agreed. I think that seperating to them would be rather much just a waste. As many people are satisfied in the first place

Agreed 100%

LOL @ this thread! I used to feel very strongly that Online and/or MP trophies should not be included in the :platinum:

However, since then, i've played 60-70 games and most of them have required one or the other types of trophies. I guess i'm just getting used to it.

I also never had people on my Friend's List that I didn't know in RL so that didn't help matters much for online requirements.

Like legolover122 said, online is part of the game. If you don't play it for whatever reason (internet sucks, dead community, etc), you don't deserve the platinum. Also, what good is a platinum if every single person that buy the game can easily get.

Edited by CompSci88

The problem is that eventually you will not even have the chance to earn the online trophies in each specific game, because the servers will be shut down. It doesn't really make much sense to have trophies in a game that cannot be earned.

Exactly. Games like Overlord 2, no one plays that online and now the servers have been closed. At least they were when I tried obtaining the online trophies.

In game development, I don't think they put any emphasis on trophies. So I don't think that this would ever be considered. And as others have posted too, the multiplayer aspect is just as much part of the game as the campaign, or equivalent. Depending on the game, some multiplayer trophies can be very unfair though. Look at Fight Night Round 4, it's a platinum that I can never get due to the multiplayer alone. But these issues wouldn't be considered as anywhere near important. Maybe in time though, who knows :)

Edited by idloveacupoft

• 1 month later...

I agree with this. As much as I may dislike some online portions of games, it should be together. It doesn't make much sense to separate them.

• 4 weeks later...

I think they should split them like DLC trophies, and game programmers could insert a few more for the online trophies since most people only buy games like COD for multiplayer. Some don't even touch the campaign.

Edited by DJ_MOUSEY

Like legolover122 said, online is part of the game. If you don't play it for whatever reason (internet sucks, dead community, etc), you don't deserve the platinum. Also, what good is a platinum if every single person that buy the game can easily get.

I wouldn't go so far as to say someone doesn't deserve a platinum just because they have crappy (or no) internet, but you can't have different requirements for some people to earn the plat than for others. And in this day and age, online is just a part of gaming, so I have a hard time feeling too bad for people that don't have it.

The problem is that eventually you will not even have the chance to earn the online trophies in each specific game, because the servers will be shut down. It doesn't really make much sense to have trophies in a game that cannot be earned.

Exactly. Games like Overlord 2, no one plays that online and now the servers have been closed. At least they were when I tried obtaining the online trophies.

The fact that you're missing in this argument is that trophies only exist for one reason: to get people who like achieving them to buy more games. And in the case of online games with limited shelf life, they exist to get you to buy the game early in its life cycle, not years down the road after the servers are closed.

Personally, I feel like a good platinum trophy list will have you accomplishing something in every major portion of the game, and for games where online is a big part of the experience, leaving out online trophies means that you really haven't "conquered" every part of the game. I've always felt like COD trophies were worse off for not including some aspect of the MP in them (at least until BO2 came out anyway).

Now, I'm not by any means advocating ridiculous online trophies that almost have to be boosted or require 100+ hours to get, but having a good sampling of the online portion of the game be required to get the platinum is perfectly reasonable.

Edited by onuosfan
  • Like 2

The fact that you're missing in this argument is that trophies only exist for one reason: to get people who like achieving them to buy more games. And in the case of online games with limited shelf life, they exist to get you to buy the game early in its life cycle, not years down the road after the servers are closed.

I purchased Overlord II because I was interested in the game and at the time of its release I was not trying to obtain trophies. I tried to play the MP but like I said, no one played it and now the servers are closed on my end.

• Like 1

I wouldn't go so far as to say someone doesn't deserve a platinum just because they have crappy (or no) internet, but you can't have different requirements for some people to earn the plat than for others. And in this day and age, online is just a part of gaming, so I have a hard time feeling too bad for people that don't have it.

Personally, I feel like a good platinum trophy list will have you accomplishing something in every major portion of the game, and for games where online is a big part of the experience, leaving out online trophies means that you really haven't "conquered" every part of the game. I've always felt like COD trophies were worse off for not including some aspect of the MP in them (at least until BO2 came out anyway).

Now, I'm not by any means advocating ridiculous online trophies that almost have to be boosted or require 100+ hours to get, but having a good sampling of the online portion of the game be required to get the platinum is perfectly reasonable.

I totally agree with everything you said.

I'll be the first to say that I absolutely hate online trophies. HOWEVER, they should be included in a game's trophy list. I mean, Resistance 2 and AC Brotherhood went a little too far with online trophies, but online trophies need to have a perfect balance where they are not easy, yet at the same time, not impossible either.

• Like 2

I purchased Overlord II because I was interested in the game and at the time of its release I was not trying to obtain trophies. I tried to play the MP but like I said, no one played it and now the servers are closed on my end.

I hear you, and it definitely sucks to be stuck in situations like that. On the other side, there are games I'd kind of like to go back and play but probably won't because the plats are no longer obtainable.

Part of me feels like if a developer is going to shut down their servers and yet continue to sell the game, it should be patched to remove online trophies or automatically award them, because otherwise it borders on false advertising if you ask me. That being said, we also have to realize (as I think someone else already pointed out) that trophies are an afterthought to most people, developers included.

• Like 1

"Can't" is incorrect, as Plants vs Zombies for the Vita has shown. The requirements for Lucky Spin were changed with a patch. So, clearly they can change the requirements of trophies.

Trophies exist for the same reason anything within a game exists. That has nothing to do with the issue at hand, which is having trophies that are unobtainable due to the closing of an online server. There is no excuse for leaving games in such a state.