AJ_Radio's Disappointing Backlog and Wishlist

AJ_Radio

Ultratron complete.

Managed to get the "hard" trophies in both Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor and Batman: Arkham Knight. The challenges were definitely worth it, had a bit of fun playing through them.

Added Life is Strange, Thief, Transistor and Furi to the backlog.

Also have Adam's Venture Origins coming through the mail via Gamefly but won't be counting it towards backlog since I'm going to play it for a few short hours then return it, since I'm renting the game.

Edited by Spaz

• 2 weeks later...

Ratchet and Clank A Crack in Time, Into the Nexus, Sonic CD, and Life is Strange complete.

Rented Adam's Venture Origins and platted it within a day. Rather poor game, thankfully I didn't buy it.

N.E.R.O. should arrive soon.

Added Ether One to the backlog.

5 minutes ago, Stuart Pot said:

Damn, you've been doing great in trophy hunting. Keep up the good work, my friend!

Also, have fun with Ether One. It's a decent game that's hindered with some bugs and glitches, but I still thought it wasn't a bad experience.

How's Persona 4 going for you?

Yeah I hear that from everyone. Luckily I have both the Cloud and a USB stick to save me from backtracking.

3 minutes ago, Spaz said:

How's Persona 4 going for you?

Yeah I hear that from everyone. Luckily I have both the Cloud and a USB stick to save me from backtracking.

I've just got one trophy left, but I have to do a third playthrough to get it. I think I could just power through it though and get it done within a week or so, so not too worried about it.

Alright then, sounds good. The glitches and bugs mostly occur near the end of the game for some reason.

8 minutes ago, Stuart Pot said:

I've just got one trophy left, but I have to do a third playthrough to get it. I think I could just power through it though and get it done within a week or so, so not too worried about it.

Alright then, sounds good. The glitches and bugs mostly occur near the end of the game for some reason.

Pretty long game I'll admit.

That's what I've been told. I'm afraid if I play normally I'll lose my save data.

• 3 weeks later...

Went on a little hiatus from trophy hunting. Went about a week without really doing anything, then I had things to sort out with friends and family over the past two weekends, so that cut into my play time.

Platinumed NERO, sent it back and got Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments. The only crime games I've finished that involved collecting clues and solving puzzles were LA Noire and Murdered Soul Suspect. Sherlock Holmes should be an interesting experience, and a fairly quick platinum to boot.

Completed Ether One and Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time. Both games experienced a lot of flaws that hindered the overall enjoyment. Ether One had several glitches, most notably going from Pinwheel Harbour to Pinwheel Village as I was stuck on a still screen for a good 6 - 7 minutes. Sly Cooper had far too many loading screens, and they all took at least 30 seconds - 1 minute each. Very poor. The arcade games were more frustrating than enjoyable as the 8-Bit Bentley trophy dragged on a bit too long. Lots of collectibles to keep track of and a bunch of rather annoying trophies made Sly Cooper less exciting than it could of been.

I may substitute Uncharted Golden Abyss with Dust: An Elysian Tail for Platinum #99. Right now I don't want games that just hand me trophies with no effort, but I also don't want games that may drag on a bit too long, as Sly Cooper demonstrated for me over the past few days. I would like to get to #100 fairly quickly, and from I played of Horizon Zero Dawn on my alt it looks absolutely amazing.

I'll update this thread over the coming weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

inFamous Festival of Blood and Dust: An Elysian Tail complete. That's two more games off of my backlog.

Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments was a very good rental. I may not entirely recommend buying it, but if you're someone who rents games then Sherlock Holmes is definitely worth it. A bit of a laid back crime game, good way to break the pace between fast paced platformers and story driven triple A games.

I went and made a UK, Hong Kong (Asian) and Japanese account so I'm pretty much set if I want Japanese novels or simply another version of a game I enjoyed that's not on the American PS Store. Bought the other three Sound Shape versions, but since they only take a few minutes each to get all the trophies with cloud sync there's no point adding them to the backlog.

I'll only stack games I enjoyed or have autopop trophies. So games like Orc Slayer and Albedo: Eyes From Outer Space, playing through those once was more than enough.

Horizon Zero Dawn is definitely taking longer than I expected. I'm 18 hours into the game and I'm only just starting to get somewhere with the storyline. The map, while not quite the behemoth that is The Witcher 3, is more detailed. This game quite frankly has some of the best visuals I've ever seen in a video game, and I can definitely see why the PS4 Pro has been such a huge selling point. This game has done ridiculously well in sales worldwide and the PSN platinum trophy rarity is over eight percent, which is extremely high.

I'll do my best to finish up Horizon this weekend. I may or may or go for the DLC trophies right away, depends on how I feel at the end.

Edited by Spaz

#100: Horizon Zero Dawn

1Lf9f2b0.png

Very proud to now be a part of the 100 Platinum Club. Definitely the most detailed looking open world game I've played. Not a short game by any means, took me 40 hours to get all trophies, experience all the side quests and complete the main story without skipping any dialogue. Aloy is a very well crafted character, I appreciate Guerrilla Games for making a female who is not overly sexualized like so many others in video games. The story was very interesting, I'm curious to see where they will take it in the Frozen Wilds expansion.

But Horizon Zero Dawn is not perfect. Conversing with the various NPCs felt very awkward at times. It felt like I was talking to a robot more than a real living person. This is a flaw that I hope Guerrilla Games works on removing in the upcoming expansion and a possible sequel if we will ever see that. The graphics, while still excellent and stunning at times, didn't exactly wow me off my seat like they would of with a PS4 Pro. Granted I was playing this on a standard 1080p flatscreen TV with the original PS4 system. Uncharted 4 had certain details that looked better, but that is purely a story driven linear game, not an open world game. Aloy is well crafted like I said in the previous paragraph. But she was at times, very emotional which bothered me a little. I understand this is a story of machines taking over the landscape with the human race being reduced to primitive tribes. But Aloy herself tested my patience at times as I felt she wanted to know too much too quickly, a result of frustration she got simply for being an outcast for most of her life.

All in all, an excellent game. I would of much rather played this on a PS4 Pro with an Ultra 4K TV as it was probably intended to be played, but with limited finances I had to make do with a standard setup. It's flaws prevent it from being one of the greatest games of all time, but it is definitely Game of the Year worthy and proves Guerilla Games is a solid developer who cares about the quality they put out. Highly recommended and I look forward to the expansion coming late this year.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 1

Created a Hong Kong, UK and Japanese account last week to get the remaining Sound Shapes stackables. Bought and finished two easy games over the past two days.

I am looking to decrease my backlog over the next few weeks. Color Guardians shouldn't be too difficult of a game and it's short, only taking a few hours to complete. Bought Clockwork Tales: Of Glass and Ink and the PS4 version of Goat Simulator with all DLC. Should get those done over the weekend. Will probably be finishing White Night pretty soon and go back to Horizon Zero Dawn to get the New Game Plus trophies.

While I am trying to decrease my backlog, there are a couple games I'm looking to buy. Call of Duty Classic and Mega Man 10 are games I want to get and complete due to their difficulty. Both are very doable as long as I'm willing to put in the time and practice it takes to finish them. Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number has been on my backlog for nearly a year now and I would like to get that done fairly soon. The first Hotline Miami was a good challenge, not an easy game but a rewarding one as some of the trophies required a bit of skill. CoD Classic, Mega Man 10 and Hotline Miami 2 are all skill based, and to branch out a bit and play a variety I look to add them to my profile since they look quite nice to 100 percent. CoD Classic and Mega Man are both listed as 8 out of 10 in difficulty, Hotline Miami 2 a 6 out of 10, all challenging but well rewarding.

I'll see what I can do in the coming weeks and months, since my account is still a work-in-progress.

Edited by Spaz

Color Guardians finished. Fun little game with a decent challenge at the end, but nothing too strenuous.

Decided to pick Hotline Miami 2 as my next challenging game. Don't know when I'll start playing. Loved the original game when I beat it last year, Hotline Miami 2 is more of the same with a more fleshed out story.

• 2 weeks later...

Clockwork Tales: Of Glass and Ink, Far Cry Classic and Killzone complete. Also finished New Game Plus on Horizon Zero Dawn bringing my trophy count in that game back to 100 percent.

I've added a bunch of new games for the backlog but haven't gotten around to adding them to the list. I'm looking to reorganize my thread so it is easier to read, because nobody wants to look at a long list of pictures.

• 4 weeks later...

The Little Acre, White Night, Volume, inFamous, Sherlock Holmes: The Devils Daughter, Terminator Salvation and inFamous 2 complete.

Got a good number of games under my belt and finished.

Wrapped up the inFamous trilogy. It's a solid Playstation franchise, but it is not my personal favorite. God of War and Uncharted take the cake on that one. But the series is well worth playing, my only real complaint is the first inFamous game doesn't hold up all too well these days. Dated graphics and annoying sidequests and stunts make it my least favorite title. inFamous 2 and Festival of Blood on the other hand, I thoroughly enjoyed from start to finish. Very playable, and overall a huge improvement over the first game.

I rented Terminator just to see for myself how bad the game was based on the ratings. It sucks. The controls are clumsy and sloppy. There are several glitches, one notable one being the terminators sometimes getting stuck on walls. Chapter 3 has a glitch where one of the NPCs is literally frozen. Overall, bad game. Will never play it again.

The other games I already wrote about, so no need to explain them here.

Got a bunch of games to add to the backlog:

1. Far Cry 3

2. Capcom Arcade Cabinet

3. Trine Enhanced Edition

4. Trine 2 Complete Story

5. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy

6. Crash Bandicoot

7. Crash 2

8. Crash 3: Warped

9. Call of Duty Classic

10. Prince of Persia (2008 reboot)

11. Level 22

12. Downwell

13. Bastion

14. From Dust

15. Goat Simulator (PS4)

16. Jak 1 (Vita)

17. Jak 2 (Vita)

18. Jak 3 (Vita)

19. Assassins Creed Freedom Cry (PS4)

20. Just Cause 3

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Metro 2033 Redux, Call of Duty Modern Warfare Remastered, Crash Bandicoot, Velocity Ultra, Hotline Miami 2, Velocity 2X, Ducktales Remastered and Get Off My Lawn finished. 

Still got Uncharted: The Lost Legacy to finish. Looking to start up and complete Assassins Creed Syndicate. 

Bought a few non platinum games along with some retail games over the past few weeks. Since I am away from home and don't have a computer with me, I'll keep this post short. 

Also looking for tips on making my images smaller. 

• 4 months later...

Lots has happened these past few months. Several games finished and more I have added to my backlog. 

This coming week I’m going to tally up all the games I have finished and the games I have added. 

I decided to rid the idea of having pictures and just keep a nice simple list of games on my backlog. I will also highlight certain games that were obtained through PlayStation Plus. 

When I have time to look through my list I will edit my initial post.

To tally this up, a list of games I completed starting from early November:

100 Percent Games:

Frobisher Says, Castle of Illusion (Mickey Mouse), MonsterBag, Astro Tripper, Galaga Legions DX, It's Spring Again, Flower, Wonder Boy in Monster Land, Wonder Boy in Monster World, Monster World IV, Bentley's Hackpack, Arcade Archives Contra & Double Dragon

Total: 13 Games

Platinums (incl DLC):

Crash Bandicoot 2, Uncharted: The Lost Legacy, Horizon Zero Dawn, Bloodborne, Crash Bandicoot: Warped, Uncharted: Golden Abyss, Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, SEGA Mega Drive Ultimate Collection, Resistance: Burning Skies, Midway Arcade Origins, Call of Duty Classic, The Book of Unwritten Tales 2 (rental), Valley, WWE Legends of Wrestlemania, Captain America: Super Soldier, Mafia II and Mafia III.

Total: 17 Games

Playstation 3 games added:

Saints Row the Third, Saints Row IV, Sonic Generations, Sonic Unleashed, Mega Man 10, NiGHTS into Dreams, Flower (PS3 version), Sonic the Hedgehog Episodes I & II, Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault (also on Vita), Ratchet: Deadlocked, XBlaze Lost: Memories, The Last Guy, Monster Jam Battlegrounds

Total: 14 Games

Playstation 4 games added:

Mad Max, Saints Row IV: Reelected, Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor GOTY Edition, Middle Earth: Shadow of War, Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus, Assassins Creed Origins, Sky Force Anniversary (non-stackable), Flower (PS4 version), Hue, OlliOlli (non-stackable), MegaMan Legacy Collection 2, Sonic Mania, Bound, The Disney Afternoon Collection, HITMAN, Deponia, Darksiders II, Deus Ex Mankind Divided, Batman (Telltale), VVVVVV, Rime, Knack

Total: 21 Games

Playstation Vita games added:

Tales From Space: Mutant Blobs Attack, Uncharted: Fight for Fortune, Broken Sword 5: The Serpents Curse

Total: 3 Games

Grand Total: 35 Games

Total added from previous post (not including games completed): 15 Games

Overall Number: 50 Games

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've only now discovered this whole section of PSNP and I find it very interesting, especially people sharing thoughts on their experiences with specific games and specific trophies, that definitely makes a good read and makes you want to come to the site more regularly (after about a month visiting this site more actively, I've come to realize that my browsing through the threads has become a bit aimless, just hoping to come across something interesting, very often unsuccessfully. Right now I will gladly catch up on the threads of people like you and I hope that you'll return to regular posting and - perhaps - also add some thoughts on at least some of the games you've finished since November '17, I would be especially interesting in your input on the Frozen Wilds, Bloodborne or Super Meat Boy (not completed, but you've gotten quite far). Also, are you planning on getting any Assassin's Creed Vita games?

• Like 2

I like that you added Megaman and The Disney Afternoon Collection. I was thinking about getting back into retro games this year. I know they have the Atari Collections as well, but Atari was a bit before my time...and the trophies look ridiculously hard.

You got two of the better Arcade Archive games on your profile too. Are those any good? The trophies look dumb, but how are the ports?

On 4/7/2018 at 2:42 AM, det_gittes said:

I've only now discovered this whole section of PSNP and I find it very interesting, especially people sharing thoughts on their experiences with specific games and specific trophies, that definitely makes a good read and makes you want to come to the site more regularly (after about a month visiting this site more actively, I've come to realize that my browsing through the threads has become a bit aimless, just hoping to come across something interesting, very often unsuccessfully. Right now I will gladly catch up on the threads of people like you and I hope that you'll return to regular posting and - perhaps - also add some thoughts on at least some of the games you've finished since November '17, I would be especially interesting in your input on the Frozen Wilds, Bloodborne or Super Meat Boy (not completed, but you've gotten quite far). Also, are you planning on getting any Assassin's Creed Vita games?

I've only just recently came back to this thread after I basically ignored it for some months. I often read other threads, such as Cassylvania's trophy checklist thread. Definitely check hers out, it's pretty well put together.

Frozen Wilds was overall a solid DLC, but I just didn't like the story. I feel Horizon Zero Dawn is in ways overrated, it's absolutely gorgeous especially if you have a 4K TV and a PS4 Pro. It just doesn't really do anything outstanding in terms of gameplay. It's a very good open world game, but compared to other games like The Witcher 3, it falls quite short of it's possible potential.

Bloodborne is probably my favorite PS4 exclusive. Awesome game from start to finish. I've been playing Demon's Souls and been enjoying the hell out of that game too since both games were made by the same company (From Software). Definitely play this game if you haven't. Both games have a very steep learning curve, but once you get the hang of both they become a lot easier.

Super Meat Boy is definitely not for the faint of heart. Don't be fooled, it's extremely challenging. There are more difficult games out there in terms of trophies, but as a platformer you have to practice A LOT. I would suggest practicing the levels and trying it out for a bit. Most people can't finish this game because they get impatient. I generally have to spend a solid 10 - 15 hours to pull off a no death run, at least for the more difficult worlds. Not easy.

There's only Assassins Creed Chronicles and Assassins Creed Liberation for the Vita. I hear Liberation has online and is overall a crappy game. I'm not entirely sure. I plan to get all the online done for the Assassins Creed games on my list sometime this summer. Brotherhood can take 6 - 10 hours with a dedicated team and is considered the hardest. The others shouldn't be too much of a problem.

On 4/7/2018 at 5:48 AM, Cassylvania said:

I like that you added Megaman and The Disney Afternoon Collection. I was thinking about getting back into retro games this year. I know they have the Atari Collections as well, but Atari was a bit before my time...and the trophies look ridiculously hard.

You got two of the better Arcade Archive games on your profile too. Are those any good? The trophies look dumb, but how are the ports?

Both Atari Volumes are very difficult and I don't know if I will ever get to them. If you played the Midway Arcade Collection you should get the hang of Atari but as you can see from my backlog, I have a lot of games and I would rather not add another 5 - 10 titles to the pile.

Personally I'm very disappointed in the Arcade Archive games. They're essentially like My Name is Mayo in terms of trophy difficulty. All you need to do is upload a certain score and have your score posted to the boards, and that's all you need to get all the trophies. Plus you can abuse save states, which is probably why the trophy rarity is so high.

The games themselves are fun however.

35 minutes ago, Spaz said:

Personally I'm very disappointed in the Arcade Archive games. They're essentially like My Name is Mayo in terms of trophy difficulty. All you need to do is upload a certain score and have your score posted to the boards, and that's all you need to get all the trophies. Plus you can abuse save states, which is probably why the trophy rarity is so high.

The games themselves are fun however.

Well, that sucks. I knew something was wrong when I saw all of the Contra trophies were common. They could've easily put in a trophy for beating the game without the Konami code, or at least beating the game in general.

I was considering buying a few arcade games, but I'm not going to support something like that. That's my concern with The Disney Afternoon Collection too. What's the point of playing the game if you're just going to abuse save states? I might as well play on an emulator.

A major missed opportunity, if you ask me.

17 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

Well, that sucks. I knew something was wrong when I saw all of the Contra trophies were common. They could've easily put in a trophy for beating the game without the Konami code, or at least beating the game in general.

I was considering buying a few arcade games, but I'm not going to support something like that. That's my concern with The Disney Afternoon Collection too. What's the point of playing the game if you're just going to abuse save states? I might as well play on an emulator.

A major missed opportunity, if you ask me.

I was far too young to play Contra back in the day but it was one of those games The Angry Video Game Nerd mentioned in one of those AVGN episodes, and since I was a big fan of him I decided to try out Contra on an emulator. Turned out to be a very good game.

Difficult as all hell without the Konami code. I have no idea how some of those guys beat those NES games.

Thing is too is those arcade games are expensive. $7 - 8 for each one so they're essentially a lot like Japanese novels you import. I'm sure you've seen those people complete them in 10 - 30 minutes tops for the platinums. But where is the fun in that? I would much prefer to play a game that is worth my time, not waste my hard earned money on a game I don't even understand, since I cannot read or speak Japanese.

The Disney Afternoon Collection makes you work for the trophies. Same with the Mega Man Legacy Collection Volumes. Capcom at least knows how to make a proper trophy list.

Since you're mentioning old classic games, I definitely recommend picking up Sonic Mania. I don't know if you have it or not but it's definitely worth playing. Nothing difficult either since the game saves whenever you enter a new zone.

Also of course this depends on whether you are/were a Sonic the Hedgehog fan, like I was.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 1

@Spaz Gaming was very different back then. Games were expensive, most people only owned a single console (usually an NES), and the selection was terrible. All of this meant that most kids only had maybe four or five games. Back then, it wasn't about beating games quickly and moving onto the next one -- it was about mastering the games you had. The games were short because they had to be, so developers made them as hard as possible to keep kids from beating them too quickly. But you know a lot about that from AVGN.

These days, the selection is almost too big. Kids don't have the patience to get better at a game. If something is too hard, they'll just gravitate to something more accessible. That's why a lot of older gamers like me, I guess, are against hand-holding in games, and why it's great to see titles like Dark Souls and Super Meat Boy flourish. The key, though, is quality control, which is something a lot of NES games did not have. But then, you know all about that from AVGN too...

I do wanna try out Sonic Mania. I didn't have a Genesis growing up, but I liked Sonic Generations.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

@Spaz Gaming was very different back then. Games were expensive, most people only owned a single console (usually an NES), and the selection was terrible. All of this meant that most kids only had maybe four or five games. Back then, it wasn't about beating games quickly and moving onto the next one -- it was about mastering the games you had. The games were short because they had to be, so developers made them as hard as possible to keep kids from beating them too quickly. But you know a lot about that from AVGN.

These days, the selection is almost too big. Kids don't have the patience to get better at a game. If something is too hard, they'll just gravitate to something more accessible. That's why a lot of older gamers like me, I guess, are against hand-holding in games, and why it's great to see titles like Dark Souls and Super Meat Boy flourish. The key, though, is quality control, which is something a lot of NES games did not have. But then, you know all about that from AVGN too...

I do wanna try out Sonic Mania. I didn't have a Genesis growing up, but I liked Sonic Generations.

This was the same for me and my sister.

I picked up from my sister who started back in the 1980s. Though for us, we only had the real popular NES games. Super Mario Bros 3, the original Super Mario Bros, Batman and a few others. Looking back, those games were not anywhere near as difficult as Contra or those "hardcore" titles that only the most dedicated kids could get through.

We only had a select few games, because like you said, they were expensive. Gaming back then for us was begging our parents for a new game on either our birthday or on Christmas. Keep in mind that at best we could only get two or four games a year. So eventually we ended up renting games at places like Blockbuster, because that was just more convenient.

As the 1990s came to a close, my sister moved out to Seattle and pursued a Bachelors Degree. I was still a kid then so gaming was still a huge part of my childhood. But my sister has pretty much dropped gaming completely. She is now in her late 30s, has a husband with two kids. She doesn't have time to play video games anymore, and even if she did have time she is so far behind the curve she would had no idea what to do.

I can't ever see my sister play a game like Uncharted 4 for instance. It's just too much for her.

What I find intriguing about AVGN is that he and his friend Mike Matei do episodes every Monday where they cover old games. They play an old game like Legend of Zelda: A Link in the Past and they share their stories and memories when they were younger. I always find that fascinating because you're hearing from two guys who are now older.

I can never see kids born after 1996 - 1997 to ever have the patience to play through an old school platformer. Hell I don't see today's kids ever getting through Dark Souls, let alone Super Meat Boy without giving up within a couple hours.

The issue I see now is kids today are too spoiled. With things like the iPhone 8, Cable/Fiber internet, Computer Notepads, and ease of access in just about every town you drive to, they are more technology dependent than we ever were. Probably the reason why they don't have the patience to get better at a game, as you said, is because there's just too much to be distracted at. My four year old niece knows how to use a smartphone, knows how to change the TV channel and so on. Back when you were a kid there was a lot less to be distracted to, simply because the technology was not there. This is just my assumption and opinions so I could be wrong here. But it is definitely a glaring issue which needs to be looked into.

• Like 3

@Spaz I think you're right. One of the things AVGN brings up is that a single game you owned or rented was often your entire weekend. If a game sucked or was too hard, you were SOL, because there was nothing else to do. Sure, you could play outside -- and we did a lot of that -- but there was no Netflix or smartphones or computers. If you had to be indoors, you either watched whatever was on TV (which, outside of evenings and Saturday mornings, sucked), or you played that game. For me anyway, I think that's where my completionist nature came from. If I started something, I had to see it through. Gaming, in some small way, I guess, helped with that.

My childhood was a little different. I think I talked about this before, but most of my early experiences with video games were handhelds. We had an NES/SNES that my brother would play, but it was always in his room, and that was like forbidden territory. I mostly played Gameboy, because we moved around a lot and it was just more accessible. I had the original Gameboy, Advance, SP, DS, and now a 3DS XL. It's still probably my favorite console. I usually give Pokemon credit for getting me into gaming, because it was something I could play for hours on end without getting bored, and it was one of those rare games that kids of all ages could enjoy, you know? That's probably not a big deal for somebody who grew up with a lot of friends who were all around the same age, but my brother and sister were my closest friends as a kid, just because we bounced around so much. Having a game that we could all play and discuss together was great.

It also led to a lot of fighting, come to think of it...

Edited by Cassylvania
  • Like 3