AJ_Radio's Disappointing Backlog and Wishlist

AJ_Radio

32 minutes ago, Spaz said:

Dead Space 2 has drifted off into space.

Platinum :platinum: #184: Dead Space 2 (March 1st, 2019)

1L3532db.png

Difficulty: 8/10

Excitement Rating: 10/10

Estimated Time to Platinum: 35 - 40 Hours

Hardest Trophy: 47Se58e74.png Hard to the Core  (Complete the game on Hard Core setting)

This is the big one right here. The hardest platinum since Downwell.

Holy fucking shit was Hard Core difficulty stressful. Ended up playing from scratch again to make better use of my three saves. The journey was insane. I died far more than I care to mention from stupid mistakes and from Necromorphs getting the jump on me. Even with full health and health packs you can die in a matter of seconds from 'enhanced' Necromorphs, as well as obstacles that can be a one hit death. Sometimes you lose hours of progress, like I did.

But this has to be one of the most satisfying platinums out of the 184 I have on this account. Dead Space 2 is a fucking phenomenal game, it's just a shame the series is no more. Extremely rewarding and gratifying platinum.

Congrats, I'm so glad you managed to do it. I may have to dig it out and try Hardcore again myself.

On 3/1/2019 at 5:18 AM, Arcesus7 said:

Man, congrats on that one! I haven't played the game (never owned a PS3), but I have been following the conversations about Hard Core in the last couple of days. It speaks for the quality of the game (and your determination) that at some point you even thought about quitting for a couple of weeks and now it's Friday and the plat is already yours :) Must have been stuck in your head! 

Anyways, congrats again, savour the shiny accomplishment! 

I don’t give up easily.

Runescape sort of showed me that even if something takes 1000 hours to get, you will get it eventually. World of Warcraft taught me a little to work under pressure. 

So even though Super Meat Boy is technically on hold, I can do it. Maybe I’ll snag Girl Boy in the next couple weeks. Who knows.

• 2 weeks later...

Got picked on by a full bullies, but managed to toughen myself and beat the Bully to a pulp.

Platinum :platinum: #185: Bully (March 10th, 2019)

1L3b428e.png

Difficulty: 3/10

Excitement Rating: 7/10

Estimated Time to Platinum: 25 Hours

Hardest Trophy: 37Sc75195.png Kleptomania  (Acquire all room trophies)

I enjoyed the first 14 - 15 hours of Bully.

The rest of my time was grinding out a bunch of trophies that I wasn't anywhere near close to getting when I was playing the story.

Giving wedgies to nerds never gets old. But I'm glad to get this game done, and I'm now hesitant if I'm ever going to pick up the Playstation 2 era Grand Theft Auto games.

Axiom Verge has been obliterated.

Platinum :platinum: #186: Axiom Verge (March 17th, 2019)

1Ld9ebc2.png

Difficulty: 5/10

Excitement Rating: 10/10 (no really)

Estimated Time to Platinum: 18 - 19 Hours

Hardest Trophy: 18S84fd1d.png  Mostly Invincible (Complete the game without dying)

Brilliant. Just fucking brilliant. Awesome is the very least I can give to describe Axiom Verge.

This game is Super Metroid from the SNES from top to bottom. Although I feel Thomas Happ also borrowed heavily from Castlevania as well. No matter, this game is probably one of the best indies I've played in recent years, up there with Velocity 2X, Rogue Legacy, and of course Super Meat Boy.

I really enjoyed my time with this game, and I have no real complaints, which warrants the excitement rating to get full marks.

Highly, highly recommended for any Metroidvania fan, and even if you somewhat enjoy indie games.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 1

Trine has been purged.

Platinum :platinum: #187: Trine (March 24th, 2019)

1Lb91d05.png

Difficulty: 4/10

Excitement Rating: 8/10

Estimated Time to Platinum: 12 - 13 Hours

Hardest Trophy: 30S22935a.png Better Than Developers! (Complete Tower of Sarek without any deaths on Very Hard difficulty)

A delight of a game from FrozenByte.

Fairly easy game. Better Than Developers gave me a bit of trouble, but I found it easily doable after 20 - 30 tries. Very Hard difficulty wasn't hard at all thanks to the game's generous checkpoints.

Enjoyed this game's sense of humor. Pretty straight forward platinum, although some of the game mechanics could of been fine tuned a bit more.

Edited by Spaz

Trine's younger brother Trine: Enchanted Edition has also been purged.

Platinum :platinum: #188: Trine: Enchanted Edition (March 27th, 2019)

1L909725.png

Excitement Rating: 8.5/10

Estimated Time to Platinum: 10 - 11 Hours

Hardest Trophy:  46Sb6cff7.png  Walk in the Park (Complete the game on hard using hardcore mode)

A much improved version of Trine over the original.

Changes were made to the interface and some changes were made to a couple gameplay aspects, but it's otherwise the same.

Graphics are much better and a lot more crisp. This game is very aesthetic.

Beating the Tower of Sarek without any deaths was much easier this time around than it was in the original game. Hardcore Mode at times proved a tad frustrating, which is why I gave the difficulty a 4 out of 10 for this title.

Recommended. Can't wait to play Trine 2: Complete Story and Trine 3: Artifacts of Power, which I will buy later today.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 1

Bought and completed Trine 3: The Artifacts of Power.

Platinum :platinum: #189: Trine 3: The Artifacts of Power (April 3rd, 2019)

1L362b4b.png

Difficulty: 2/10

Excitement Rating: 6/10

Estimated Time to Platinum: 5 - 6 Hours

Hardest Trophy: 19S869559.png The Silencer of Whispers (Survive through the Chapter: "A Whisper of Evil")

Not as good as the first two games in the series.

I think I know what FrozenByte was trying to do when they went from a side scrolling puzzle platformer to a 3-D puzzle platformer, but I just didn't it quite as exciting.

A lot of abilities that the heroes had were removed. There are a lot more collectibles to find and they are required to progress to the next level. I had to look up a guide for a few of them as they were hidden in a couple places that weren't all that obvious. While that's true for the collectibles in the first two games, here I felt that I was doing a chore going after them.

The humor and the style are on point. The biggest disappointment of this game is the story is simply a continuation, it doesn't really wrap up the story as it basically leads to the next Trine game, which hopefully FrozenByte will and have made improvements to the game mechanics.

Long story short, this was an easy platinum. I enjoyed Amadeus, Zoya, Pontius and company. The only game left to complete until Trine 4 comes out is Trine 2: Complete Story, which I hear is a challenge and is rather lengthy.

Edited by Spaz

Platinum :platinum: #190: Slain: Back From Hell (April 8th, 2019)

1L365d38.png

Difficulty: 7.5/10

Estimated Time to Platinum: 10 - 12 Hours

Hardest Trophy:  16Sc04983.png Oh God, Mother! Blood! Blood!  (Defeat the Mother Beholder without losing any health)

A rather tough but satisfying platformer 2-D style combat game.

This one was difficult. So many places to die and yet there is a trophy for beating the game without dying. Without cloud saving, this would easily be a 9.5 out of 10 in difficulty.

Kick ass visuals. Kick ass soundtrack. Slain: Back From Hell is a rocking experience. The only reason I'm not giving this a higher rating is because of the countless attempts I had to redownload my cloud save due to dying in stupid locations and not parrying in time to counter enemy attacks.

This game is a combination of Castlevania and Ghosts n' Goblins, only with much better visuals, much better music and a much more smoother experience. Definitely a must have for anybody expecting a challenge. Challenging but ultimately satisfying.

Furi was beaten to a pulp.

Platinum :platinum: #191: Furi (April 15th, 2019)

1L12f9a7.png

Difficulty: 8.5/10

Excitement Rating: 9.5/10

Estimated Time to Platinum: 16 - 20 Hours

Hardest Trophy: 22Sf6e67f.pngThat Was Intense ( Get a S rank in Furier difficulty (story mode))

My proudest platinum, until I get Super Meat Boy Done.

One of the most unique, thrilling indie games you will find on PSN.

Without giving away too much, Furi is a game that is extremely dependent on skill. I will admit that I am NOT GOOD at these types of fast paced fighting games, and I'm certainly bad when it comes to dodging obstacles.

The speedrun wasn't the worst thing, but fighting The Star was an absolute pain in the ass due to how much you have to dodge during her phases. Furier difficulty and getting a S Rank for beating it is basically the platinum breaker. I struggled for several hours, even after practicing against all the bosses in Practice mode.

Very difficult, very challenging, and at times very frustrating and aggravating. But extremely rewarding, and proof that if you can get Furi done, you can get a lot of other difficult games done should you stick with them long enough.

Guacamelee was bested by the Luchador.

Platinum :platinum: #192: Guacamelee (April 19th, 2019)

1L63d8bb.png

Estimated Time to Platinum: 9 Hours

Hardest Trophy:  46S45256f.pngThat Was Hard Mode?  (Defeat the game on Hard mode)

A very good, very enjoyable Metroidvania.

After playing through the Super Turbo Championship Edition, I decided to plow my way through the original game.

Between the two games I must say that the Turbo Edition is far better. But the original still managed to be exhilarating and quite good. No Intenso meant slightly more difficult arena fights, particularly the ones containing lightning skeletons.

Fighting through the caverns and the El Infierno challenges proved a little tough at times but not too difficult. I very nearly nailed the Tule Tree orb due to muscle memory. Was able to knock out this game and it's DLC in three short nights.

Definitely recommended. Here's to hoping the sequel will just as enjoyable, if not even better.

• Like 1

The Ura managed to give The Kid some bruises, but he brought the Bastion some hope and rebuilding.

Platinum :platinum: #193: Bastion (April 22nd, 2019)

1Lc16581.png

Difficulty: 6/10

Excitement Rating: 8/10

Estimated Time to Platinum: 10 - 11 Hours

Hardest Trophy:  22S149b59.pngAbout the Author (Complete the Stranger's Dream with all ten Shrine Idols invoked)

Between Bastion and Transistor, I prefer Transistor.

Whether this was a coincidence or not, Bastion and Transistor tend to have a lot of similarities in their trophy lists. Whereas Transistor is more of a tactical strategy, Bastion is more real time.

This was a fairly short but enjoyable game. The idols are the main challenge, with 10 of them giving the enemies buffs while they penalize the player.

Nothing too difficult and somewhat unique. The Stranger's Dream was by far the most difficult trophy and it took me several attempts. Score Attack Mode thankfully is considered New Game Plus, and being able to repeat levels for more XP was a big help.

Not my favorite indie game, but still recommended.

Bought and completed Titan Souls.

Platinum :platinum: #194: Titan Souls (April 28th, 2019)

1L164e75.png

Difficulty: 9/10

Excitement Rating: 7/10

Estimated Time to Platinum: 16 - 18 Hours

Hardest Trophy:  22Se92717.png Iron Titan  (Beat the game in Iron Mode with Hard Mode active)

What started as a difficult but rewarding experience turned into a complete chore.

This is arguably one of the most frustrating platinums I've had to go for due to the amount of times I had to download my save from the Cloud and from a USB stick.

No Roll Mode was a bitch. Iron Mode wasn't much better because it allows for one life, and after the hundreds of times I've had to quit out of the game to get my save back getting to this platinum was a chore and overly tedious.

The final boss (The Soul) that you normally have to beat is a complete kunt. It basically mimics your movements, but you also have to have near perfect timing and judge when he is going to shoot that arrow.

The visuals, the music, the sounds were all very good. But having to run back to the boss room every time after I died, and later using both the Cloud and a USB stick to get my saves back ruined my enjoyment of the game.

Would not recommend unless you're up for some head banging frustration and numerous cloud saving. I probably have grown a few new grey hairs from this game.

Yeah there’s a few games from PS+ I still haven’t gotten around to. 

Hue I plan to play soon and it looks easy. I have some older Sony exclusives including Knack and I have Just Cause 3. 

Basically this is what I plan to finish: 

1. Saints Row IV

2. Assassins Creed III

3. Assassins Creed Unity

4. Trine 2: Complete Story

5. Vanquish 

6. Dark Souls (200th platinum) 

None of these are quick save for Vanquish. May take until June to get through these. 

We’ll see. I may change things up a bit.

• 2 weeks later...

Saints Row IV and it's DLC is finished.

Platinum :platinum: #195: Saints Row IV (May 8th, 2019)

1Ldd56de.png

Excitement Rating: 7.5/10

Estimated Time to Platinum: 40 Hours

Hardest Trophy:  50Sd90d4e.pngFourth and Forty (Spend over 40 hours in the Simulation)

A sort of fun open world sandbox that gets boring after around 20 hours.

Before I played through Saints Row the Third I did not play a Saints Row game in ages, since Saints Row 2 on the Xbox 360. At that time it felt too much like a Grand Theft Auto clone, which soured my experience of the game. Saints Row IV in my opinion is a little more fun due to the usage of superpowers, but falls a bit short storywise compared to Saints Row the Third.

Saints Row IV does nothing particularly outstanding, but it does offer many pop culture references and has a sense of humor. I particularly enjoyed the Streets of Rage reference, even with the old 16 - bit music and sound.

There is nothing difficult at all with this game. The hardest trophy is probably spending 40 hours with this game because I was pretty much done around the 25 - 26 hour mark. I decided to leave the console on overnight so that I could do the Christmas DLC without having to wait any longer.

A bit tedious with the side quests, but one I'm glad to get done. Not sure when I'll get around to the PS4 remastered version, which was foolish because I thought it had an online trophy attached to it which would be unobtainable.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Did the PS4 stack Saints Row IV: Re-elected.

Bought and completed The Mummy Demastered.

Platinum :platinum: #197: The Mummy Demastered (May 23rd, 2019)

1Lc74fba.png

Estimated Time to Platinum: 5 - 6 Hours

Hardest Trophy: 29S0d9c62.pngUndead Agent (Beat the game without dying)

A fun, easy, enjoyable Metroidvania.

Not bad at all for a 'licensed' game. This follows the tradition of the Metroidvania formula, but does nothing particularly outstanding on it's own that makes it distinct from other Metroidvanias.

It was fun while it lasted. But the agony of finding the relics, this game's collectibles, was a bit infuriating due to the lack of a tracker telling you how much of an area you've explored and completed.

Probably the easiest Metroidvania I've played.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 1

I see you have been playing a couple of Metroidvanias lately, and from your posts and reviews you seem to enjoy most of them quite a bit... 

However, I don't see Hollow Knight on that wishlist of yours.. what are you waiting for! :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arcesus7 said:

I see you have been playing a couple of Metroidvanias lately, and from your posts and reviews you seem to enjoy most of them quite a bit... 

However, I don't see Hollow Knight on that wishlist of yours.. what are you waiting for! :D

Srsly Spaz, get Hollow Knight. Its a crime you dont have it already!

Assassins Creed: Unity is finished.

Platinum :platinum: #198: Assassins Creed Unity (June 3rd, 2019)

1L04fa8e.png

Difficulty: 5/10

Excitement Rating: 4/10

Estimated Time to Platinum: 40+ Hours

Hardest Trophy:  27Secdf88.png Curiosity (Open every chest in Paris)

Worst Assassins Creed game I've played.

Boring, monotonous, tedious, aggravating, frustrating, stupid, ridiculous and pointless. This game is one giant collectathon, having to grab 294 chests and over 100 cockades. Doing the Dead Kings DLC has you doing more collectibles, so by the time you're done you probably grabbed around 500 collectibles in all.

Parkour controls were frustrating. Guards were too annoying. Guns were overpowered.

Story was stupid and dull. Arno Dorian is a boring Assassin whose story doesn't progress beyond vengeance. The Assassin Council was useless and did nothing but bark orders. Elise is on a vendetta mission that ends in her death. Present day story was the worst I've seen yet. 

Glad to have finished this after buying Assassins Creed Unity four years ago. Now I can put it behind me.

At least the graphics were nice, even if much of Paris lied in the shithole because of the French Revolution.

If Ubisoft ever makes a remaster of this game, I will make sure I'll do everything I can to avoid it at all costs.

====

Added Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag (PS3) and The Last of Us (PS3) to the DROPPED GAMES section of the opening post.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 1

Bought and completed Castlevania Requiem: Symphony of the Night & Rondo of Blood.

Platinum :platinum: #199: Castlevania Requiem: Symphony of the Night & Rondo of Blood

1L0b1f58.png

Estimated Time to Platinum: 12 - 15 Hours

Hardest Trophy:  12S6c085e.pngThe Full Belmonty (Castlevania: Rondo of Blood: Complete 100% of the game)

Enjoyable collection of two classic Castlevania games.

Experienced a bit of frustration with Rondo of Blood and had a trophy glitch in Symphony of the Night that forced me to do a second playthrough of the game.

Worthy platinum for any retro gamer.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Bought and completed Contra Anniversary Collection (NA).

Lff7430.png

Not the best of trophy lists, but it was good experiencing these old classics. 

I didn’t think Contra: Hard Corps was as good as Contra III: Alien Wars and the fact you have to play it FIVE TIMES to view five different endings just made everything tedious. 

These games are difficult, particularly Contra III: Alien Wars and Contra: Hard Corps. Without save states I would of gave up trying to beat them. 

With save states I was able to make saves at the final boss, making getting trophies one after another. Contra: Hard Corps took the longest by far. 

Disappointing trophy list, but the games themselves are good old arcade fun.

• 3 weeks later...

The much sought after 200 Platinum Milestone has finally been reached. Couldn't of gotten any better than playing and finishing off Dark Souls.

Platinum :platinum: #200: Dark Souls (July 7th, 2019)

1L99e963.png

Difficulty: 7/10

Excitement Rating: 10/10

Estimated Time to Platinum: 75 - 80 Hours

Hardest Trophy: 2S23a0f0.png  To Link the Fire (Reach "To Link the Fire" ending)

One of the best games of last gen.

Dark Souls is nothing short of brilliance. The atmosphere, the combat, the steep learning curve, Dark Souls is an extremely addictive and fun game.

The most difficult part is simply getting used to the game. New Game Plus and after is not as difficult because you will already know most of everything from the previous playthrough.

I had to follow a guide for all the missables in the game, but overall it was nothing bad. There is no World Tendency/Character Tendency like there was in Demon's Souls, but in comparison that was potentially a much shorter game thanks to the duping glitch.

Simply excellent. If you haven't played it yet, then what are you waiting for?

• Like 2