Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

206 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

On 5/23/2017 at 5:47 AM, blazeaire said:

Hmm not really feelings ARMS atm but definitely gonna give the Testpunch a try to see if it changes my mind, otherwise the next Switch game I'm looking forward to is probably Mario Odyssey and obviously the future FE games unless E3 really blows it outta the water with new announcements

Those pins are so awesome, do you only get 3 of them though? And you should definitely play Revelations since it gives so much more info on the characters especially Corrin ?

Haha yeah tbh I don't really keep a backlog anymore, just play what I wanna play and drop whatever I don't, less stress ?

I'm interested in ARMS but still unsure if it will be a game for me. That's why I want to try the Testpunch event to see if the controls and gameplay click with me. I remember being iffy about Wii U's Splatoon at first, wondering if I'd like a game with competitive online multiplayer. Tried the testfire, loved it and made a preorder on the game immediately.

Yeah, there are only those 3 pins you can see in the box.
I'll play Revelations sometime in the future. Fates (Birthright & Conquest) was a bit disappointing game somehow and it didn't spark that much enthusiasm in me.

Looks like the first E3 leak has began

Mario-Rabbids-Kingdom-Battle_05-23-17_00

Hm mildly interested especially since it's turned based but have to wait for more impressions

12 hours ago, Eyjabria said:

I'm interested in ARMS but still unsure if it will be a game for me. That's why I want to try the Testpunch event to see if the controls and gameplay click with me. I remember being iffy about Wii U's Splatoon at first, wondering if I'd like a game with competitive online multiplayer. Tried the testfire, loved it and made a preorder on the game immediately.

Yeah, there are only those 3 pins you can see in the box.
I'll play Revelations sometime in the future. Fates (Birthright & Conquest) was a bit disappointing game somehow and it didn't spark that much enthusiasm in me.

Yeah I tried the Splatoon 2 testfire earlier this year and found it wasn't for me either so hopefully this will be better

And really, I admit the story in Fates isn't the best but the gameplay is such an improvement over Awakening I can't help but love it and its definitely my FE game so far, but then again I only played through Conquest and Rev so I didn't get burned out too much lol

4 hours ago, blazeaire said:

MHXX coming to Switch yesss!

monster-hunter-xx-switch-2.jpg

http://www.capcom.co...ming-to-switch/

I haven't really played the series since the PSP days, can't wait to get back into it 1f60d.png Can't wait to play as a cat and wreck everything 1f609.png

9a4e7ea2af2a2095781fcbeb7f16cb5f.gif?v=9

Looks like you're not the only one who likes the news about Monster Hunter on Switch, lol! 

Nintendo Gains Over $2 Billion in Market Value Following Monster Hunter XX Announcement

3 minutes ago, blazeaire said:

Did you guys try the Arms testpunch, I woke up too late and only got a play a few minutes 1f634.png Seems okay from what I played, couldn't get used to the motion control in time though but the traditional controls seemed okay

I tried to play but kept getting timed out.  It seems like it will be fun.  I'll be there at some point.  

Tried Disgaea 5 demo yesterday. I've always been interested in the series as I like the art style and I'm a big fan of humorous games. I'm not quite sold on the game based on the demo though. Too much "micromanagement" and it was difficult to move the cursor to select characters and to move them where I wanted them. Maybe there are settings to control the sensitivity of the stick or make the cursor snap on characters and tiles? UI didn't have much info in some situations like when shopping for equipment. Is there Japanese audio option in the full game?

Based on my first impression I like Fire Emblem's take on SRPG gameplay more.

2 hours ago, Eyjabria said:

Tried Disgaea 5 demo yesterday. I've always been interested in the series as I like the art style and I'm a big fan of humorous games. I'm not quite sold on the game based on the demo though. Too much "micromanagement" and it was difficult to move the cursor to select characters and to move them where I wanted them. Maybe there are settings to control the sensitivity of the stick or make the cursor snap on characters and tiles? UI didn't have much info in some situations like when shopping for equipment. Is there Japanese audio option in the full game?

Based on my first impression I like Fire Emblem's take on SRPG gameplay more.

Change the cursor to type B asap in the settings lol, no idea why A is default and you adjust the cameraish using Y ZR but yeah there's no grid top down look like in FE and there's not too much micromanaging, I usually put on the highest def armor and some shoes if the character is lacking in movement and weps just what they have the highest affinity with.

And yeah no point comparing to FE when they're so different besides both being SRPGs haha, the fun in Disgaea is at least for me is the wacky characters and dialogue and the over the top attack animations coupled with pretty good gameplay although not as tight as FE for sure but with way more options although I will admit 5 is kinda lacking in story and characters compared to 4, wish they didn't make Killia so monotone all the time xD

11 hours ago, angelgrievous said:

I tried to play but kept getting timed out.  It seems like it will be fun.  I'll be there at some point.  

I just had another go at it, it's more fun then I was expecting especially since you can use the shoulders buttons as punches but yeah probably still not gonna get it immediately but definitely interested in it more then Splatoon 2.

1 hour ago, blazeaire said:

Change the cursor to type B asap in the settings lol, no idea why A is default and you adjust the cameraish using Y ZR but yeah there's no grid top down look like in FE and there's not too much micromanaging, I usually put on the highest def armor and some shoes if the character is lacking in movement and weps just what they have the highest affinity with.

And yeah no point comparing to FE when they're so different besides both being SRPGs haha, the fun in Disgaea is at least for me is the wacky characters and dialogue and the over the top attack animations coupled with pretty good gameplay although not as tight as FE for sure but with way more options although I will admit 5 is kinda lacking in story and characters compared to 4, wish they didn't make Killia so monotone all the time xD

I just had another go at it, it's more fun then I was expecting especially since you can use the shoulders buttons as punches but yeah probably still not gonna get it immediately but definitely interested in it more then Splatoon 2.

I figured something was wrong with the controls as they were really inaccurate and tedious. Thanks for the tip! I'll give Disgaea demo another try soon. 

I played my first session of ARMS Global Testpunch today and it was more fun than I would have thought. My husband liked it too. The motion controls with 2 Joy-Cons worked really well, I was surprised. I was happy to see there was no lag and no disconnections. So far I tried only Ribbon Girl and Mechanica. Planning to try other characters in the next test sessions. The Party Mode with randomly changing play modes was a nice way to show what kind of content the game has.
I'm more of a Splatoon fan myself but ARMS has potential. I'm dreading the thought of buying another game with my backlog before Splatoon 2 comes out so I'm kind of hoping I won't like ARMS too much, lol.

• Like 1

Here's a thing I did on the other Switch thing where I yell about the games I have played so far. World of Goo isn't on there yet, there's probably some others I'm forgetting. I'll also probably forget to add them in here when I ramble over there. Also, ICYDK I swear a lot and there's gonna be swears in here. So that.

FAST RMX 

First game I bought, got it at midnight (well half past or so) when I got home with the Switch. Only thing I owned for a good week or two. Played the living shit out of it whenever I got a chance. This game, it's beautiful. It's like if WipEout was simultaneously simpler (due to there being no weapons) and more complex (due to the color swap mechanic, the nitro pads, the jump pads, and the turbo boost) and the thing is fucking gorgeous. As I said, I had it since day one, so I played prepatch mostly, but even on day one, it was gorgeous, had a buttery smooth framerate, fast and fluid and challenging but rewarding and just great. If you've played the Wii U original, you might not need this, but if you haven't, it's as close as you'll get to a new WipEout or F-Zero any time soon, and no, the HD-er re-release of the HD re-release of the PSP games does not count as new. 

PRICE - I think I paid 26 or 27 at launch. Is it worth that? Fuck yeah. 30 odd tracks, 3 difficulty levels, and 2 equally big modes to explore after completing the championships in Hero Mode and Challenge Mode (or whatever it's called, I forget) on top of that, the whole thing can be taken online or played in local split screen with up to four players. Along with DriveClub and Mario Kart 8, this is one of my favorite racers of this generation already. 

METAL SLUG 3 

is a Neo Geo side scrolling bullet hell platforming shoot 'em up with vehicles and power ups and sexy graphics and 2 player split screen and a reasonably lengthy campaign for the arcade style game it is (probs a good hour if you're not rushing, each time) with 4 different characters to choose from and a metric shit tonne of replayability. In fact, I clocked it again on the train home today and goddamn if it isn't one of my favorite ones in the genre.

PRICE - As with all Neo Geo games, this sucker was $9.10 here, the price will be whatever all the other Neo Geo games are going for in your region currently, I assume. Is it worth that? 9 bucks for hours upon hours of replaying an incredibly well made, delightfully fun shooter? Fuck yeah dude, I'd even pay a WHOLE TEN (whoa) 

KING OF FIGHTERS 98 

is also a Neo Geo game. Though this one is a fighter. There's not much to say about the game honestly, and outside of it's main thing it's just another arcadey Street Fighter kind of game, which is good, since that's what I wanted. It's main thing though? It's 3 on 3. You pick 3 fighters, and each round you take on 3 other fighters, 1 at a time. I quite like this, as it lets you have a second chance if you fuck up and die, and it in turn makes the arcade mode 3 times as long depending on how you look at it. Thing is though, all you've got is arcade mode. It's a fighter, it's got no story, no other modes, no nothing... but damn, it's a good fighter. If you want to play Street Fighter on the Switch, but don't wanna wait for the latest SF 2 re-release to hit, this is my pick of the many choices you already have.

PRICE - Since I bought this to scratch the fighting game itch on the cheap instead of waiting a couple of months to pay SIXTY DOLLARS for the newest revision of Street Fighter 2, coming in at just under a sixth of the price, is it worth $9.10? The answer is a resounding yes. Sure, SF 2 may be more fully featured and prettier to look at, but this is an equally well made game with a bevy of fighters to pick from that's a shit load cheaper. 

SHOVEL KNIGHT: SPECTER OF TORMENT 

I had never played Shovel Knight before getting this, and wanted to dip my feet with the cheaper option. Shovel Knight is an 8 bit style platformer for modern systems that feels authentic most of the time, while also feeling fluid and unrestrained by old technology. Shovel Knight: Specter of Tormet, is an add on campaign of about the same length, maybe a bit less, that (in my opinion) plays a lot better than the already superb Shovel Knight. In this one, you're one of the bad guys from the main game (that's not really much of a spoiler) and it's a prequel that shows off Specter Knight's backstory and how the bad guy team from the main game got together basically. To be honest, I didn't care about the story at all, because the gameplay was so much more fun, and boy is it fun. This is a really well made platformer with obvious love for the 8 bit days of yore leaking out of everything. If you've not tried the game yet, the Switch is a great place to start as it's pick up and play nature really suits this kind of game, and when displayed on the big screen it looks just as good as you remember all them old ass games looking.

PRICE - SK:SOT launched as an eShop exclusive at 13 dollars. Is it worth that? Fuck yeah it is. BUT. Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove, which is the main game, the first DLC campaign (Plague Knight's campaign), the second DLC campaign (this one), and all future DLC bundled together. That goes for 32.50 here. Is it worth that? Well, I got a new disc copy on PS4 for 25 bucks the other day at EB, so it depends on how you look at it. Value wise, fuck yeah it's worth that amount, but if you can find a cheap physical version elsewhere then maybe grab that?

MARIO KART 8 DELUXE 

is a re-release of a Wii U Mario Kart, the best in the series by far, that most people haven't played, due to most people not owning a Wii U because, well, why would you? It's fucking great. It's fluid and pretty and fast and fun and full HD and glorious and just great. It's got 80 odd tracks, all the expected modes, 2 player split screen (by the way, when I say a game has 2 player, unless otherwise noted, I mean you can split the joy con up and not need to buy a new remote as well, the Neo Geo games are perfect examples of how this should be done), and up to 4 player split screen if you have the required remotes. A shit load of racers, including some new ones not to be found on the Wii U release, a revamped battle mode, time trials, GPs, all that shit. It's the Mario Kart you know and love, but at the best it will probably ever be. Also you can hold 2 power ups again which is delightful and honestly changes how you play a lot more than you might think at first.

PRICE - Day one got it for 62 physically, cheapest you'll find now is 69. RRP is 80, which is what it goes for on the eShop too. Is it worth 80, a reissue of a Wii U game? If you have it on Wii U, fuck to the no. If you don't, well, it's still a few years old and personally I think that price is WAAAAY too high, and I would have done it for around 50 or so, 62 is close enough so I was happy with that. Is the game worth 62? I don't think it should be that much, but there is definitely 62 bucks worth of content in this sucker and I would say it's worth that much. I wouldn't pay 80 for it though, so the official verdict would be get it as cheap as you can or wait for an eShop sale, since physical Nintendo games never go on sale ever, that's just one of the rules of the world, like death and taxes. 

OVER TOP

is another Neo Geo game. Neo Geo games, a lot of them anyway, are very arcadey, probably because a lot are actual arcade games. Arcadey games are great for replayability. Metal Slug and King of Fighters, the two previously mentioned ones on here, offer a shitload of replayability, because beating each of their main modes takes a good half hour if you're kicking ass, KOF maybe a little less but whatever. Anyway, they give you a fair bit of shit, and then you replay the shit out of it. This game, does not. I wanted it to be a bird's eye view Out Run, and to an extent it is, but it's also not. In this game you race against 3 other dudes who will probably end up miles in front of you from the get go and you're left to basically drive to the end of a static, unchanging course. It's fun, sure. It's fun to beat your times and everything, and you can beat the other guys, I'll usually at worst be second or third, but like, it's a 5 minute course at best and ALL you'll be doing is replaying that same course. It's not like it's not fun, because it is fun, but it's not something you'd play for an hour or two in a sitting like you easily could KOF and Metal Slug.

PRICE - Standard 9 bucks for a Neo Geo. Well, 9.10 but whatever. Worth it? I mean, if you'll get a shitload of use out of replaying the game, sure. But honestly of the 3 Neo Geo titles on here so far, it's the least worthwhile of them all. It's worth 9.10 if you have 9.10 to blow, but that 9.10 could be used to by literally any other Neo Geo game and offer a shitload more value and replayability. That's not a knock on the game itself, because what is there is worth playing and quite fun. I don't know. It's worth like 5 at best honestly, but oh well. I'd say wait for a sale. 

MR. SHIFTY 

is a PC and Switch exclusive, at the moment anyway. And the basic write up reads "Fuck man, Hotline Miami 3 is great." ... this fucker is what you'd get if Hotline Miami had prettier visuals, and a teleport function. You're a dude, who goes around trying to kill this one asshole because "he's an asshole" or maybe it was "evil asshole" either way, they said asshole and I appreciate that sort of directness. So there's 18 or so levels comprised of roughly ten Hotline Miami sized and styled rooms and you go around killing everyone with weapons or fisticuffs, it's very Hotline Miami. Then there's the teleport power which completely changes everything and is what makes the game "unique", you can use it to dodge bullets at the last minute, which not only saves you but kills the dickhead behind you, you can use it to jump between walls and shit, which provides cover and a stealth element and it's really just a well made game. Performance is pretty good for the most part, but it chugs a little bit on the last couple levels.

PRICE - Mr. Shifty dropped at 26 bucks. I wasn't doing super great, but I wasn't taking forever either, and my playthrough was clocked in at just over 3 hours, meaning I paid nearly 10 bucks an hour for the game if I don't replay it. I will replay it though, as it's really fucking fun and I think (and hope) there's a challenge mode or something you unlock when you clock it. Anyway, at a minimum of 3 hours or so, 26 may seem a bit steep, but if you're not an ace at these games (bear in mind I've platinum'd Hotline Miami) you'll probably hang around a bit longer, and if you're gonna replay it, even once, that brings it to a minimum 6 hours, and I've spent a lot more for a lot less. Is it worth 26 bucks? If you have 26 bucks, fuck yes. If you have 26 bucks and that's all you have for games, as much as I like this fucker, you'd do better to grab a couple of Neo Geo games and Kamiko. 

KAMIKO 

Speak of the devil. Kamiko is, from what I can gather from never playing any Zelda stuff outside of NES Remix, kind of like the old NES ones but really the fuck fast paced and shit. You run around as one of three girls from some heavenly realm or something (story isn't it's strong point) through these 4 areas trying to restore the natural order or something. You hold one button to sprint, and the other to use your sword. You will kill thousands of enemies by the time you finish your play through. It's like if Dynasty Warriors was bird's eye view levels of you smashing people with your sword. You kill a lot of people would be what I'm getting at. It's a bird's eye view/action adventure/hack n slash/quasi-sandbox colorful little fucker and whatnot. I'm good with words, aye.

PRICE - Coming in at around an hour, it's one of the shortest games I've ever played, I've genuinely played flash games that took longer to finish. That being said, there's 3 different campaigns to play through, each with their own character, and each with their own hour. Meaning, you've got a minimum of 3 hours, just like the last one on this list. Unlike the last one on this list, Kamiko is the equal cheapest game on the eShop (the other is Othello) coming in at 6.50. The game is an absolute joy to play and burn through as fast as you can, running through the levels to find the little pieces you need to unlock the next bit is great, the level design is adequate enough and the sprites are unique and easily identifiable. For 6.50, to get a good 3 hours of game time, before even touching the extra mode or replaying anything, this is a steal and if you've got a few bucks of chump change lying around on your eShop wallet you can't go wrong with this one. 

BLASTER MASTER ZERO

is a remake or reimagining of an NES classic by the same name, sans the Zero. You're a dude who fucks about in an 8 bit side scrolly / shootery / platformy world fucking shit up on foot or in your car. You're looking for your frog. Basically you lost your frog or something and you and this girl are trying to track it down and I'm about 2 thirds of my way through the game and I just got the froggy back, so I guess he's not gonna turn out to be the bad guy. Anyway, there's a large variety of enemies, delicious visuals if you're into the 8 bit aesthetic, a big ass bunch of upgrades and shit, a huge ass selection of levels to explore and hunt for hidden things, and some very inspired boss fights. The game is a beautiful little love letter to the original and an absolute blast. Get it, because Blaster. Fuck you.

PRICE - coming in at 13 bucks, Blaster Master dropped day one at a shitload less than the 90 Zelda wanted. I've been too busy playing other shit to finish the game, but I've clocked in a good 4 hours going as quick as I can and I'm still only about two thirds of the way through. A good 6 or 7 hours through the campaign on your first go without too much exploring is a decent amount for the price. Throw in the fact there's also a multiplayer mode (which I don't know the details of as I've not checked it out yet) and you've got a pretty sweet little package. Considering that this is a complete overhaul of the NES original, complete with HD quality 8 bit visuals and revamped levels and shit, and they want 13 compared to the 9.10 the Neo Geo ones want for direct ports, this is well worth the price if it's up your alley, and sure to provide a fair few hours of fun. 

GRACEFUL EXPLOSION MACHINE 

I said this game wasn't Resogun somewhere a while back. That's true, and also not true. Resogun is a continuously looping cylindrical level based space ship shooting bullet hell thing of a game. This game is very similar, without the cylindrical part. Basically you're a little ship going through a long rectangular series of levels shooting the shit out of all these swarms of colorful ships and the bullets that spew out of them. You've got 4 different weapon types, a beam lazer thing, normal-ish style bullets, lock on rockets, and this cool energy sword thing that does a circle around you and kills everything. You charge up these weapons by killing the other dudes. The more you kill, the more bullets you have. The more bullets you have, the more you kill. Each level is split into 3 phases, each of which is usually harder than the last. There's I think 9 levels in the first of four sets, and then a similar amount in the rest. I'm gonna round down to "over 30" though in case there's less in some of the later sets and I'm over selling it.

PRICE - I forgot the price, but Google tells me it was 15. For 15 bucks, that makes each level less than 50 cents. Each level lasts a good five minutes minimum so far, assuming you don't fuck up and die a few times. From a strict numbers standpoint, the game is well worth 15 bucks. As a game though, there's a lot in here. The game is a beautifully well made space shoot 'em up and, while I don't love it as much as Resogun, it does scratch that itch with impeccable skill. Resogun may be a better game, but this is definitely a bigger game. Coming in with over 30 levels, going against Resogun's 5, for 15 bucks, this game is a no brainer. In addition to the campaign mode, there's also a challenge mode or something, which is sure to keep you coming back for more when you're done with the main game. If you're into this kind of game, there's no way you won't get your 15 bucks worth out of it. 

NBA PLAYGROUNDS 

is the best game on this list. Well, maybe except for Mario Kart. NBA Playgrounds wants to be NBA Jam so bad, and at first you think it's not quite as good, but then you get more into it, and more into it, and more into it, and you realize it shits all over NBA Jam. Classic arcade physics and shots, with the ability to pull off alley oops and crazy dunks for the more skilled, the game caters to both experts and novices equally. At first I was missing almost as many shots as I was making, but as I progressed I got better and better and before you know it I was shooting perfect shots from the other end of the court to rub it in the AI's stupid face. As someone who doesn't give a shit about NBA, I couldn't care less if there was real players or not, but if you're actually into NBA there is soooo many players here, and hundreds more to supposedly come via free DLC updates from the developer. The physics are tight, the graphics are over the top yet realistically stylized, the controls are great. As you go, you'll rank up your players and shit and they will get better and unlock more moves also. If you were to 100% this game and unlock every player, and then level them all up to the max level, you'd be down for a good probably fifty hours easy. And that's if you don't suck. Multiplayer locally on this game is the fucking tits. Split your joy con in half and get ready to beat the shit out of the court, pulling off all sorts of moves your AI partner never seemed to be able to keep up with. The game's learning curve is very fair too, as I said, you might suck at first, but give it a good go and you'll get the hang real quick. The missus sucked so much ass at first, she was literally losing the game for us, but after 4 or 5 five minute matches she got the hang of it and we were in winning form real quick. It pays to stick with someone you're familiar with though, as some players can be radically different to others in terms of which shots they can and can't make.

PRICE - at 26 bucks it's one of the higher end of the lower end games. Which I guess puts it in the prized THQ mid range for prices. Tournament mode offers 5 or 6 tournaments, each with 4 games in them, and that's that. Once you've clocked tournament mode your time will be spent in either exhibition mode, which is basically you picking the level you play in and the time you want and all that, or online mode. I don't know anything about online mode, since it's coming later in a patch for the Switch version (boo) but you can imagine what it's like. So basically, as it stands, you've got one real mode that you will be playing the shit out of at the moment. There's close to ten levels (roughly, I didn't count...actually wait, let's play the memory game, Japan, France, Shanghai, Venice maybe, Seattle, New York, and so on, anyway, there's a decent few) and a shit load of players to unlock, level up, and beat. While there's only one mode, if you enjoy that one mode, there's DEFINITELY 26 bucks worth of content here, but if you're more into the basketball sim games then you might find it lacking, especially for 26 bucks, and waiting for 2K18 to drop on Switch might be your best bet. However, if you enjoy NBA Jam, this is your game, you want this thing, wait for a sale, buy it now, either way you will NOT regret it. 

DARK WHICH MUSIC EPISODE: RUDYMICAL 

has the longest ass name ever for a Switch game so far. Longest ever for one thing so far. Good start. Anyway, it's like if Guitar Hero had a baby with Street Fighter, only not at all. Anyway, the game is you standing still while an enemy throws balls at you to the tune of a song, you need to slash the balls in time with the song. Miss too many, you die. Hit enough of them to kill the other dude, you win and move on to the next song. There's 15 odd songs, each about 2 or 3 minutes long, and 4 difficulty levels to play on. Debuting earlier as a touch screen phone game, I find it feels much more at home with a phyical gamepad, especially on some of the later on levels with a shitload of things on screen to kill. Soundtrack is fun and full of energy, graphics are cute and colorful, and as with most rhythm games if you're having a good time the level of replayability is through the roof.

PRICE - Google says it's 9.99, I recall it being around 10 so this adds up. The phone version is available cheaper, at around 5 or 6 when I last looked, but that's to be expected and honestly, as much as I hate paying an unecessary premium, the game is great with buttons and is worth that bit more. Clocking in at 10 bucks, it's definitely not worth that much if this isn't your kind of game, and it very well may not be. If you don't get down to quick button pressy games and rhythm based combat style shit, this won't be up your alley and I won't try to lure you in. It's the same as Guitar Hero, some people just don't play that sort of thing and that's fine. While a lot of genres have room to lure in people who don't normally go for that sort of thing (see me with Gravity Rush and RPGs, or Catherine and whatever the hell style of game that was), this game is solely for the people who enjoy rhythm based combat style games, which is a stupid phrase probably not doing it justice because I poorly made it up then. However, if that sounds like your kind of thing, for what you get, I'd say there's 10 bucks worth of shit here. Going back for higher difficulty runs greatly increases the challenge and overall length of time spent on the game, and there's also a 2 player versus and co-operative mode I'm yet to try out as well, which should be a good bit of fun. Give it a look on YouTube and see if you like it, I thoroughly enjoyed my first playthrough and will definitely try to clock it on a higher difficulty somewhere down the line. 

Can't be bothered editing it out, but realized I used the word Witch so little that I called it Dark Which before. Beautiful.

• Like 2

I caved and bought Human Resource Machine. It's a delightfully difficult puzzle game; it's basically like programming. Determined to play through the game without using a guide; currently five or so levels left in the main path but I've skipped a few of the extra tough levels for now. It's really fun to try to figure out what to do, in fact on the way to work I decided on a solution for the level I'm currently on, will try it when I get to playing again.

Really anticipating the Nintendo Direct from two weeks from now.

4 hours ago, blazeaire said:

Welp there it is for Switch's online play

http://www.nintendo....online-service/

Kz60OIL.jpg

Pricing not too bad I guess but I probably won't get it unless MHXX launches by then I would have no choice 1f611.png I don't really care about classic games and I don't buy Switch games digital so discounts are useless too

Hmmmm...

Checked a few different EU sites but none have pricing up yet. If we get €20 to the US $20, that would be very cheap because I think somewhere before it was said we were looking at a €30-€35 price tag.

Personally I'm buying a lot of digital games, much of what I've bought is even digital only but of the two that are available in retail form (Zelda and Kart), I bought Zelda retail but Kart actually became both the first retail game I bought digitally fully priced, and even the first retail game I bought digitally day one. I figured I wasn't getting rid of Kart until I got rid of the Switch anyway, so I might as well just download it and have it available whenever.

I care about the classic games but I don't know how interesting the rental thing would be for me as I'd want to buy the games I'm actually interested in anyway. I'm thinking that that one month rental might be the month before the title will go on for sale, which would actually be cool though.

I started not caring about online at first, but playing all the Kart with @angelgrievous and @MosesRockefeller and the others now joining us is starting to persuade me... Especially if it's just €20 a year, I mean I'll probably get that back out of the sales alone.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, BillyHorrible said:

I care about the classic games but I don't know how interesting the rental thing would be for me as I'd want to buy the games I'm actually interested in anyway. I'm thinking that that one month rental might be the month before the title will go on for sale, which would actually be cool though.

I started not caring about online at first, but playing all the Kart with @angelgrievous and @MosesRockefeller and the others now joining us is starting to persuade me... Especially if it's just €20 a year, I mean I'll probably get that back out of the sales alone.

Apparently Kotaku asked Nintendo if the classic games as part of the online service, meant that the Virtual Console was dead. And as expected, Nintendo basically said "we have no knowledge of the night in question, your honor." Dammit, I wish Nintendo wasn't always so coy about these things. 

I do think Nintendo is probably going to have a traditional Virtual Console, but do they really think providing a simple "the VC is still coming at some point" would harm this online service? I see them as two completely separate things. Anyway, I wonder if this is evidence that the VC is not coming until after the online stuff... I sure hope that is not the case. 

Some places are already reporting that the classic games online thing is replacing the VC, which is a dumb assumption to make based on the noncommittal statement from Nintendo. But it's understandable that people could be concerned. Let's hope that the E3 presentation has some actual VC news, even if it's just "coming at some later date". 

The good news from this announcement is the price being so cheap that everyone will basically get it without complaining (who am I kidding, people would complain about PS+ if it had a BRAND NEW AAA game every month). Also, the change from not cycling the included classic games is a smart one. 

On 5/31/2017 at 9:14 PM, angelgrievous said:

Pfff, dock scuffs:

Why do people try to destroy functioning equipment for video clicks (and yes, it worked, I skimmed through it)? What the fuck is wrong with people? Do they not realize how much work goes into creating a product like this? Sorry, I'm not lashing out at you, @angelgrievous, but these videos have always annoyed me and now I see someone doing it to a nice device that I happen to care about. I guess it shouldn't surprise me in this time we live in, where people break their expensive smartphones through carelessness, and shrug it off. 

4 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Apparently Kotaku asked Nintendo if the classic games as part of the online service, meant that the Virtual Console was dead. And as expected, Nintendo basically said "we have no knowledge of the night in question, your honor." Dammit, I wish Nintendo wasn't always so coy about these things. 

I do think Nintendo is probably going to have a traditional Virtual Console, but do they really think providing a simple "the VC is still coming at some point" would harm this online service? I see them as two completely separate things. Anyway, I wonder if this is evidence that the VC is not coming until after the online stuff... I sure hope that is not the case. 

Some places are already reporting that the classic games online thing is replacing the VC, which is a dumb assumption to make based on the noncommittal statement from Nintendo. But it's understandable that people could be concerned. Let's hope that the E3 presentation has some actual VC news, even if it's just "coming at some later date". 

The good news from this announcement is the price being so cheap that everyone will basically get it without complaining (who am I kidding, people would complain about PS+ if it had a BRAND NEW AAA game every month). Also, the change from not cycling the included classic games is a smart one. 

What do you mean, not cycling?

I thought I saw an official statement at some point that they were looking into redoing classic games with online capabilities...

4 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Why do people try to destroy functioning equipment for video clicks (and yes, it worked, I skimmed through it)? What the fuck is wrong with people? Do they not realize how much work goes into creating a product like this? Sorry, I'm not lashing out at you, @angelgrievous, but these videos have always annoyed me and now I see someone doing it to a nice device that I happen to care about. I guess it shouldn't surprise me in this time we live in, where people break their expensive smartphones through carelessness, and shrug it off. 

There are some amazing LEGO crash tests out there that I love.

1 hour ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I think yeah it's for the clicks but at the same time it's like crash test with cars.  I think it's good to put products through certain test to see what they are capable of.  

1 hour ago, BillyHorrible said:

What do you mean, not cycling?

I thought I saw an official statement at some point that they were looking into redoing classic games with online capabilities...

Originally the "free" games were going to change each month. Nintendo is now apparently keeping them around forever. This is a very good change. 

Apparently the free games coming with the online service will have a multiplayer component, so for SP games like SMB3, I'm guessing it will have some type of leaderboards or something. 

1 hour ago, BillyHorrible said:

There are some amazing LEGO crash tests out there that I love.

I've seen that one, I guess I just don't get it. ?

34 minutes ago, angelgrievous said:

I think yeah it's for the clicks but at the same time it's like crash test with cars.  I think it's good to put products through certain test to see what they are capable of.  

I understand with cars. They need to be tested because people drive them and their durability and safety affects the driver, passengers, and things and people outside the car. I fail to see how smashing electronic devices serves a useful purpose. I mean, I guess it's good to know that I could play my Switch on top of a skyscraper, and it MIGHT survive me dropping it over the edge, if it didn't kill somebody it fell on or if it didn't get stolen before I got down there to get it? It's just hard for me to imagine being in that situation. 

I guess the curmudgeon in me also thinks those videos encourage people to be even more careless than they already are. Oh well, different strokes I guess. 

Edited by MosesRockefeller

2 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Originally the "free" games were going to change each month. Nintendo is now apparently keeping them around forever. This is a very good change. 

Ah, like that. I thought you meant there was a set of 32, 24 or whatever of the rental games that would be repeated.

What makes you so sure they're not rental any more?

Apparently the free games coming with the online service will have a multiplayer component, so for SP games like SMB3, I'm guessing it will have some type of leaderboards or something. 

Just the other day I was talking with @Super-Fly Spider-Guy in PM about how cool it would be to play Mario Kart 64 with each other online, or Mario Party 2.

I've seen that one, I guess I just don't get it. 1f615.png

3 hours ago, angelgrievous said:

I understand with cars. They need to be tested because people drive them and their durability and safety affects the driver, passengers, and things and people outside the car. I fail to see how smashing electronic devices serves a useful purpose. I mean, I guess it's good to know that I could play my Switch on top of a skyscraper, and it MIGHT survive me dropping it over the edge, if it didn't kill somebody it fell on or if it didn't get stolen before I got down there to get it? It's just hard for me to imagine being in that situation. 

I guess the curmudgeon in me also thinks those videos encourage people to be even more careless than they already are. Oh well, different strokes I guess. 

... I just like stuff being broken in slow motion. It being LEGO adds a layer of coolness to me.

On 2017-6-2 at 4:05 PM, BillyHorrible said:

Hmmmm...

Checked a few different EU sites but none have pricing up yet. If we get €20 to the US $20, that would be very cheap because I think somewhere before it was said we were looking at a €30-€35 price tag.

Personally I'm buying a lot of digital games, much of what I've bought is even digital only but of the two that are available in retail form (Zelda and Kart), I bought Zelda retail but Kart actually became both the first retail game I bought digitally fully priced, and even the first retail game I bought digitally day one. I figured I wasn't getting rid of Kart until I got rid of the Switch anyway, so I might as well just download it and have it available whenever.

Here in Australia it's gonna be $30 so not too bad I guess and yeah the only reason I buy physical for Switch and also for 3DS/Wii U/Vita is that it saves memory space unlike PS4 where I also buy all digital now, retail or not, plus PSN always has better digital sales then Nintendo :P

Whether you buy physical or digital, remember to use your My Nintendo reward points (and register your physical Switch games to your My Nintendo account). They're going to start offering rewards for Switch soon.

I'm pleased about the pricing (and delay) of Switch online service fee. Quite reasonable price compared to competitors. I don't think I'm ever going to pay for PS Plus as I think it's overpriced and offers nothing for me. 

Are there any details about how the Switch online service subscription works for multiple accounts on the same device? Can people in the same household use the same subscription logged in their own accounts?