Nintendo Switch thread for Nintendo Switch players

Oobedoob S Benubi

Questions for Switch gamers (2022)  

214 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Nintendo exclusive on switch (2022)?

• Splatoon 2/3
    • Xenoblade Chronicles 1/2/3
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Metroid Dread
    • Fire Emblem 3 Houses
    • Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Animal Crossing: New Horizons
    • Pokemon Legends: Arceus
    • Luigi's Mansion 3
    • Super Smash Bros Ultimate
    • Mario Kart 8: Deluxe
    • Kirby Forgotten Land
    • Other
  2. 2. How many hours do you have in your most played game?

3. 3. What NSO feature would you like to see the most?

• Custom Themes/Wallpapers
    • GB/GBA emulator
    • Game Cube emulator
    • Wii/Wii U emulator
    • Extra eShop discounts
    • Monthly free eShop games
    • More N64/SNES/NES/Genesis games

5 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

2. Nope. I remember PS3 had a couple of patches that showed changelogs, but it was like 1% of my games. Then Vita and PS4 made it mandatory as far as I can tell (although they don't require developers to use HELPFUL patch notes - sometimes it's just "see website for details"). But Switch is like Xbox One - no patch notes anywhere. I boot up my Xbox One every month or so to download patches and such (no, I don't know why I do this either), and almost every time it patches most if not all of my Xbox 360 Backwards Compatible games, and I have no idea what it's doing, and why those games are still getting patched (I'm guessing they are patches to improve the BC). Without notes, I have no idea what any of them actually are. Come on Microsoft and Nintendo, it's 2018. Sony and Steam have been doing this for years!

Thanks for the info, even if it's a negative one. I actually got used to the changelogs on PS4 and Vita and even if some of them contain just the generic "minor/major bugfixes"-note, it can be helpful sometimes. E.g. I realized that I should give Swords of Ditto a second time after reading in the changelog that they ditched the time-restriction. Wouldn't have noticed otherwise. Guess I will take a look out on sites like nintendolife or gonintendo to check for update notes if there's any bigger patch incoming.

4 hours ago, Ezio Auditore said:

Extra note: only the most recent games you've played (the ones still on your home menu) get auto-updates.

No real surprise as that's similar to the PS4.

Also, if you use the parental app you can set the allowed playtime to zero minutes per day which ensures that nobody can play your games unless they know your passcode.

Guess that won't be too much of a problem for now. Nice feature nonetheless.

Things I want to add to the answers from @MosesRockefeller:

- if you go to search in the eShop, you can search with filters. This includes a basic price filter (under 10, 10-30, over 30) and a genre filter. You can't sort alphabetically. If you know a game from the publisher you want to search for, search for that game and open it. Click up, and you'll highlight the publisher - pressing A results in a list of all other games of that publisher.

- download progress is shown by the white line at the bottom of the game's icon, selecting the game while it's downloading shows expanded progress stats (and if it's a patch your downloading and not the base game, you can opt to start the game without the download being ready).

That you can browse the games by publisher if you know one game is sufficient enough for me! Thanks for the tip. Didn't realize that you can click on the publisher-name to see other games released by them. That also explains why Implosion showed up when I searched for Deemo. :D

Also saw the genre-filter now. Both things should help for now. 

Again, thank you both for the quick help. :dance: 

2 hours ago, Ezio Auditore said:

Forgot to comment on this in the end but thought about it before writing my previous post: doesn't X1 mention playing time? I don't have one but I recall an achievement site being able to tell X1 game playtimes, and they must get the info from somewhere...

You're probably right. I don't play my X1 much, but I think the achievement tracker functionality (which is done at a system level - it hooks into each game, but it's not restricted to the game itself) does track total time.

Where does PS4 habe a timer?

I see that my wording could be confusing. I was referring to in-game times that are reported on the save game menu, or with certain trophies ("Play this game for 40 hours"). I have seen the in-game timer go way too high and it was obvious that pausing and going to the PS4 home screen was not stopping the timer. Same with the game length trophies, being earned before they should be.

I've had Banner Saga on in sleep mode a few times because of its irregular saving intervals, and my short playtimes on workdays (about half an hour in the train to work, about half an hour during lunch break, and again in the train back from work). So if sleep mode counted, I would definitely have gone over 10 hours on Banner Saga.

Actually, only time I use sleep mode is 1) if it's docked, 2) if it's charging, or 3) if I'm playing a game I don't want to quit and restart on, and those first two are more because it's a hassle having it off so having a game on is my main reason for keeping the Switch in sleep mode instead of just turning it off. Why would you put it on sleep mode if you don't have a game on?

I was talking about putting the PS4 in sleep mode. Here's what I wrote, with emphasis, and one bit added: "If it does, that's an improvement over the PS4, which never stops the clock (maybe sleep mode, but I've never left a game running on sleep mode on the PS4). I'll try it out." I should have added the bold part for clarity. My PS4 shuts down into sleep mode, which I think is the general default setting, as opposed to powering completely off.

There might be some confusion about our definitions of sleep mode? I assumed most people just leave portables like Vita and Switch in sleep mode all the time. Do you actually make sure to power the Switch off completely (which I believe has to be done via the Power menu option)? I just tap the power button (or let it sleep after a few seconds of inactivity), which I consider to be sleep mode because it resumes immediately when I wake it up. The Vita works basically the same way. The PS4 sleep mode is different, because it takes longer to resume. Apparently it does support leaving games running in its sleep mode, but I've never used it that way. I just put it to sleep where it can download patches and upload savegames and so forth.

So, to summarize. My Switch is always either actively on and being played, or in sleep mode. Sometimes in sleep mode it's running a game (for the same reasons you mention), but most of the time it's docked or in its case, waiting for me to play it. To be fair the Switch does power on from full-off pretty quickly, so I suppose I could power it down completely. But I like instant resume as opposed to "pretty quick power-on". I don't think I've shut mine down completely since I first powered it on out of the box (besides restarting for system updates of course). I thought everyone treated portables like cell phones, where they are always asleep or on, never completely off (now you're going to say you turn your phone off all the time :) ). Maybe I'm wrong.

I saw it too but its text confuses me. Is it a whole new game, or is it one new mode combined with all the puzzles from the last game?

S2 looks like a full sequel to me. That's how the 3DS series (E, E2, E3, etc.) was, and this is the Switch successor series to the E series.

1 hour ago, Crimson Idol said:

Thanks for the info, even if it's a negative one. I actually got used to the changelogs on PS4 and Vita and even if some of them contain just the generic "minor/major bugfixes"-note, it can be helpful sometimes. E.g. I realized that I should give Swords of Ditto a second time after reading in the changelog that they ditched the time-restriction. Wouldn't have noticed otherwise. Guess I will take a look out on sites like nintendolife or gonintendo to check for update notes if there's any bigger patch incoming.

I agree about changelogs. I think it's weird that Xbox One and Switch don't do it. I've never seen decent patch changelogs on Nintendo-focused sites either (except for big games like Splatoon 2 and Breath of the Wild). If you find a good source, let me know. I regularly check Nintendolife and I've never found consistent changelogs there.

1 hour ago, Crimson Idol said:

That you can browse the games by publisher if you know one game is sufficient enough for me! Thanks for the tip. Didn't realize that you can click on the publisher-name to see other games released by them. That also explains why Implosion showed up when I searched for Deemo. :D

Also saw the genre-filter now. Both things should help for now.

The Publisher browse option is a nice feature that PSN doesn't have. PSN has good sorting, but eShop has some nice options too. If only we could combine the best of each.

Edited by MosesRockefeller

2 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I was talking about putting the PS4 in sleep mode. Here's what I wrote, with emphasis, and one bit added: "If it does, that's an improvement over the PS4, which never stops the clock (maybe sleep mode, but I've never left a game running on sleep mode on the PS4). I'll try it out." I should have added the bold part for clarity. My PS4 shuts down into sleep mode, which I think is the general default setting, as opposed to powering completely off.

There might be some confusion about our definitions of sleep mode? I assumed most people just leave portables like Vita and Switch in sleep mode all the time. Do you actually make sure to power the Switch off completely (which I believe has to be done via the Power menu option)? I just tap the power button (or let it sleep after a few seconds of inactivity), which I consider to be sleep mode because it resumes immediately when I wake it up. The Vita works basically the same way. The PS4 sleep mode is different, because it takes longer to resume. Apparently it does support leaving games running in its sleep mode, but I've never used it that way. I just put it to sleep where it can download patches and upload savegames and so forth.

So, to summarize. My Switch is always either actively on and being played, or in sleep mode. Sometimes in sleep mode it's running a game (for the same reasons you mention), but most of the time it's docked or in its case, waiting for me to play it. To be fair the Switch does power on from full-off pretty quickly, so I suppose I could power it down completely. But I like instant resume as opposed to "pretty quick power-on". I don't think I've shut mine down completely since I first powered it on out of the box (besides restarting for system updates of course). I thought everyone treated portables like cell phones, where they are always asleep or on, never completely off (now you're going to say you turn your phone off all the time :) ). Maybe I'm wrong.

I turn my phone off from time to time, like one night a month or so, just to give it some rest. I always power off my Switch and e-reader if I'm not using them. I'd say it's my age but I know you're actually a year or two older than me. I guess I don't care for the slightly quicker startup unless I'm actually in the middle of playing something that either can't be saved or that I know I'll get back to within a few moments.

No confusion about sleep mode, I really power off the Switch. Witch is indeed done through holding the power button, which is why I don't bother when I stop playing if it's docked, I'll get to it when I remove the Switch, which at least is when I go to bed. PS4 I just always turn off completely unless I'm going back to playing something soon or unless I'm downloading something.

S2 looks like a full sequel to me. That's how the 3DS series (E, E2, E3, etc.) was, and this is the Switch successor series to the E series.

Yeah, but check the game description in the eShop. I don't know how the wording is in your eShop, but the Dutch description in my shop makes it seem that the old modes are just the same puzzles from the last game.

1 hour ago, Ezio Auditore said:

I turn my phone off from time to time, like one night a month or so, just to give it some rest. I always power off my Switch and e-reader if I'm not using them. I'd say it's my age but I know you're actually a year or two older than me. I guess I don't care for the slightly quicker startup unless I'm actually in the middle of playing something that either can't be saved or that I know I'll get back to within a few moments.

No confusion about sleep mode, I really power off the Switch. Witch is indeed done through holding the power button, which is why I don't bother when I stop playing if it's docked, I'll get to it when I remove the Switch, which at least is when I go to bed. PS4 I just always turn off completely unless I'm going back to playing something soon or unless I'm downloading something.

I don't think it's a matter of young vs old, I think it's American vs "rest of the world" habits. My Asian wife was shocked that I don't pull power cords out of the wall for things like TVs and microwaves when they're not in use. I think the only thing they leave plugged in is the fridge, so food doesn't spoil. And I was like "no, I never unplug anything". I only ever power off my phone to reboot it when it stops working right (like for example, today the Netflix app would just show the splash screen and never load, and force-closing the app doesn't fix it - stuff like that happens every 2-4 weeks or so). 

Yeah, but check the game description in the eShop. I don't know how the wording is in your eShop, but the Dutch description in my shop makes it seem that the old modes are just the same puzzles from the last game.

Here's the description on the USA version of Nintendo.com: 

"The second part of the new Picross series for the Nintendo Switch has been released!

Now you can play the new "Clip Picross" mode in addition to the 300 problems already available for Picross and Mega Picross!"

It's the "second part", not a remaster/upgrade. Sounds like a full sequel. The second sentence is probably where the confusion lies, but to me that's just saying the game has 300 puzzles just like S1, PLUS the new Clip Picross mode. It's not saying the puzzles are the same as the old game. That would be an expanded version of S1, like "Picross S Clip" or something. 

Of course I'm making assumptions, but the logic seems sound to me. 

22 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I don't think it's a matter of young vs old, I think it's American vs "rest of the world" habits. My Asian wife was shocked that I don't pull power cords out of the wall for things like TVs and microwaves when they're not in use. I think the only thing they leave plugged in is the fridge, so food doesn't spoil. And I was like "no, I never unplug anything". I only ever power off my phone to reboot it when it stops working right (like for example, today the Netflix app would just show the splash screen and never load, and force-closing the app doesn't fix it - stuff like that happens every 2-4 weeks or so). 

My wife makes me leave everything in the kitchen and living room but I still unplug everything in my mancave when it's not in use.

What I meant by age was that we still know the time of phones and computers that couldn't stay on forever lest they would burn out.

22 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

"The second part of the new Picross series for the Nintendo Switch has been released!

Now you can play the new "Clip Picross" mode in addition to the 300 problems already available for Picross and Mega Picross!"

It's the "second part", not a remaster/upgrade. Sounds like a full sequel. The second sentence is probably where the confusion lies, but to me that's just saying the game has 300 puzzles just like S1, PLUS the new Clip Picross mode. It's not saying the puzzles are the same as the old game. That would be an expanded version of S1, like "Picross S Clip" or something. 

Of course I'm making assumptions, but the logic seems sound to me. 

Yeah it's the "in addition to the" part where I'm confused. Sounds like the old puzzles plus a new mode to me. I'd think that if the puzzles were different, they wouldn't have said it like that.

2 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Yeah it's the "in addition to the" part where I'm confused. Sounds like the old puzzles plus a new mode to me. I'd think that if the puzzles were different, they wouldn't have said it like that.

I found an article on NintendoLife that says there are new puzzles.

The description in the EShop indeed let's you think they are the same as in the first game.

When we are at Picross maybe you two should try Piczle Lines DX. It's a similar game to Picross only that you draw pictures by connecting numbers with lines. I just now found such a game on the Switch but played many of these kind of games on my phone, called PathPix. Maybe you have heard about those game under another name.

There's even a demo for the first game, so you can try it first.

6 hours ago, MarkusT1992 said:

I found an article on NintendoLife that says there are new puzzles.

The description in the EShop indeed let's you think they are the same as in the first game.

I will buy the game immediately if it's new puzzles. I think that wording is super weird.

6 hours ago, MarkusT1992 said:

When we are at Picross maybe you two should try Piczle Lines DX. It's a similar game to Picross only that you draw pictures by connecting numbers with lines. I just now found such a game on the Switch but played many of these kind of games on my phone, called PathPix. Maybe you have heard about those game under another name.

If it's that the lines need to be the length of the numbers (like four to another four has two empty blocks in between) then I've done paper versions of that. I play lots of logic puzzles. I'll go check it out.

@MosesRockefeller downloaded the demo and will try it tonight, it's indeed the type of game I guessed.

Note: there's also a 'sequel' called Piczle Lines DX: 500 More Puzzles, for €10 but it's 15% off if you've bought the first game.

I also found Fill-a-Pix, which is kinda similar but a bit different. Downloaded that demo too. It's from the makers of Pic-a-Pix, apparently.

11 hours ago, MarkusT1992 said:

5 hours ago, Ezio Auditore said:

@MosesRockefeller downloaded the demo and will try it tonight, it's indeed the type of game I guessed.

Note: there's also a 'sequel' called Piczle Lines DX: 500 More Puzzles, for €10 but it's 15% off if you've bought the first game.

I also found Fill-a-Pix, which is kinda similar but a bit different. Downloaded that demo too. It's from the makers of Pic-a-Pix, apparently.

Thanks for the heads-up, but I actually played the Piczle Lines DX demo when the game first released. I like the gameplay but it's not quite as slick as Picross S. I should buy it at some point. 

Also, I subscribed to the Piczle Lines DX news channel on Switch and they have posted a lot of updates there. Credit where credit is due: the game has received quite a few free puzzle packs. I'm not sure how many puzzles got added as updates, but the game has definitely increased in value since it first released. 

When I mention the free updates, it seems weird that I haven't bought it yet! 

9 hours ago, Ezio Auditore said:

4 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

Thanks for the heads-up, but I actually played the Piczle Lines DX demo when the game first released. I like the gameplay but it's not quite as slick as Picross S. I should buy it at some point. 

Also, I subscribed to the Piczle Lines DX news channel on Switch and they have posted a lot of updates there. Credit where credit is due: the game has received quite a few free puzzle packs. I'm not sure how many puzzles got added as updates, but the game has definitely increased in value since it first released. 

Must've been very tired this morning, Ieant @MarkusT1992 in my previous post :)

12 hours ago, Ezio Auditore said:

I found the game because of the sequel. I was looking at the new released games and thought that game might be a PathPix game from the title and game icon.

It's a bit strange that the first game is 15€ and the second only 10€. You get a discount for the other game. You get 15% on the second if you second if you have the first and 10% discount for the first if you have the second. That means you have to pay 23.50€ for both. Considering that I pay 2€ to 5€ for PathPix on my phone that's a bit much. Although the Switch games have more puzzles in them. I still might wait for a sale.

Fill-a-Pix and Pic-a-Pix are Picross like games, aren't they? I never really played a Picross game except for Picross 3D on the DS which is just what the titel says, a three dimensional Picross.

I might get one of the Picross games though. The few puzzles I played of a 2D Picross were fun.

7 hours ago, MosesRockefeller said:

The main game has 300 puzzles. With the free updates the added another 300. That means you have 600 puzzles for 15€. I don't know if they raised the price at some point as the second game is only 10€

36 minutes ago, MarkusT1992 said:

I found the game because of the sequel. I was looking at the new released games and thought that game might be a PathPix game from the title and game icon.

It's a bit strange that the first game is 15€ and the second only 10€. You get a discount for the other game. You get 15% on the second if you second if you have the first and 10% discount for the first if you have the second. That means you have to pay 23.50€ for both. Considering that I pay 2€ to 5€ for PathPix on my phone that's a bit much. Although the Switch games have more puzzles in them. I still might wait for a sale.

Fill-a-Pix and Pic-a-Pix are Picross like games, aren't they? I never really played a Picross game except for Picross 3D on the DS which is just what the titel says, a three dimensional Picross.

I might get one of the Picross games though. The few puzzles I played of a 2D Picross were fun.

The main game has 300 puzzles. With the free updates the added another 300. That means you have 600 puzzles for 15€. I don't know if they raised the price at some point as the second game is only 10€

Well the second game has only 500 puzzles while the first game ended up with 600, so that would probably cause the different price.

Haven't tried out the games yet but as Piczle Lines is the kind of game I've played a lot, I'll probably end up buying it and that other game seems very cool because the puzzles are huge.

On 7/28/2018 at 7:49 AM, Ezio Auditore said:

Power stuff

You guys would love me.

Xbox One is literally on all the time, it's in that suspend mode thing. The missus will watch her Netflix or whatever on there and 3 days later go to fire up Fortnite and it will resume to the menu instantly because it's been "on" in the background that whole time.

PS4 barely gets touched anymore and the very rare time it does, I often end up leaving whatever game I'm playing in rest mode for a few weeks. A month or so back I had a game in rest mode for nearly two months without turning the machine on, the power went out in the area and it finally got a break.

Modem/router/whatever my internet box is called is on 247 too, even when no one's home.

Beyond that, everything that is plugged in, is always plugged in. Got a six way switcher power board in the bedroom in a house with honest to god close to 100 year old wiring. Only time I unplug something is to plug something else in, See: The other day when I pulled out the Switch cord to plug in the Wii U's cord

Hell, in the kitchen we have an old 42 inch TV hooked up with a PS3 (TV shit itself a few years back, won't work with HDMI, does work with AV cables though so old gen is still of some use) that's always plugged in.

I'd remove everything if it would save me money but everything here doesn't really use any juice other than when it's actually in use so like why bother? Also, should mention almost everything is on a surge protector, not 100% but I mean, it's a lot better than nothing.

Well the second game has only 500 puzzles while the first game ended up with 600, so that would probably cause the different price.

Haven't tried out the games yet but as Piczle Lines is the kind of game I've played a lot, I'll probably end up buying it and that other game seems very cool because the puzzles are huge.

The first game only had 300 puzzles when it launched. They added 300 more with the free updates. That means you payed 15€ for 300 puzzles and only later got the rest.

That's why I said in the last post that they might have raised the price for the first game.

I also bought the Framed Collection in the sale for 6€. Haven't started it yet but might give it atry later this night.

8 hours ago, MarkusT1992 said:

The first game only had 300 puzzles when it launched. They added 300 more with the free updates. That means you payed 15€ for 300 puzzles and only later got the rest.

That's why I said in the last post that they might have raised the price for the first game.

I also bought the Framed Collection in the sale for 6€. Haven't started it yet but might give it atry later this night.

Well yeah but if the intent was there to keep adding puzzles... And if they decided to just release the second game all at once...

I played the demos. Piczle has the same disadvantage the pen and paper variant has for me: it feels much too easy. Witch nonograms, there's counting and searching but these lines puzzles can be done pretty much on autopilot. Fill-a-Pix was cooler, until they mentioned quick fill and made that the regular play mode.

I bought FRAMED Collection too. Haven't finished it yet but I played a fair bit. It's not amazing but it's not bad. A few puzzles are too much trial and error because the outcome isn't always obvious enough.

14 hours ago, Ezio Auditore said:

Well yeah but if the intent was there to keep adding puzzles... And if they decided to just release the second game all at once...

I played the demos. Piczle has the same disadvantage the pen and paper variant has for me: it feels much too easy. Witch nonograms, there's counting and searching but these lines puzzles can be done pretty much on autopilot. Fill-a-Pix was cooler, until they mentioned quick fill and made that the regular play mode.

I bought FRAMED Collection too. Haven't finished it yet but I played a fair bit. It's not amazing but it's not bad. A few puzzles are too much trial and error because the outcome isn't always obvious enough.

It always depends on the puzzle. The small ones are very easy at most. The phone games I played so far had some very hard puzzles where I had to delete half of the picture because I made one wrong connection that enden up making another part on the other end impossible. The longer the paths get the more difficult it is. On phone is one game that has a few long paths only puzzles which also are quite hard. The other way around, only short paths can be tricky too.

Maybe you can try one of the phone games. PathPix Lite is free so you can test it. But then I think the puzzles in the Lite version aren't that hard.

I tried Framed Collection as well and finished the first "story" of the first game. Most of the scenes are easy only one was a bit more difficulte.

d00ds, help me out.

I'm going through my Switch backlog and getting ready to try to take on one game at a time. I have it all written up because fuck knows I love my lists (ironically it's written in a Sega Game Gear themed notepad) and I've decided I won't be including free to play games in the list (yet anyway) but the real dilemma for me is games that don't *really* have a way to finish them.

Games like

Rocket League

FIFA 18

Astro Duel Deluxe

Vaccine

and so on...

Rocket League I could arguably say I've won because I've completed an offline season but it's not like that's really that much of anything. Astro Duel is a one mini game kind of game, you beat a round in the game and you've seen all it has to offer, does that mean I've finished it, even though it only took two minutes or not? Vaccine you can sort of win but it's just a randomly generated quest to find some antidote every time, can you really win something that is designed to be done over and over, and to be different each time? 

Games like these, and many others I have, should I count them as having been beaten, or should I just put a different color line through them and say they can't *really* be beaten, or what? Am I reading too much into this, most definitely, but in the interests of getting rid of the backlog, it's something I am going to have to think about eventually.

On 7/29/2018 at 3:28 AM, Ezio Auditore said:

I love the presentation but I agree about the puzzles. Still, I'm enjoying it for the most part.

On 7/27/2018 at 7:24 PM, Ezio Auditore said:

My wife makes me leave everything in the kitchen and living room but I still unplug everything in my mancave when it's not in use.

What I meant by age was that we still know the time of phones and computers that couldn't stay on forever lest they would burn out.

True, I do remember those times, but I've grown accustomed to the conveniences of modern technology.

7 hours ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

d00ds, help me out.

I'm going through my Switch backlog and getting ready to try to take on one game at a time. I have it all written up because fuck knows I love my lists (ironically it's written in a Sega Game Gear themed notepad) and I've decided I won't be including free to play games in the list (yet anyway) but the real dilemma for me is games that don't *really* have a way to finish them.

Games like

Rocket League

FIFA 18

Astro Duel Deluxe

Vaccine

and so on...

Rocket League I could arguably say I've won because I've completed an offline season but it's not like that's really that much of anything. Astro Duel is a one mini game kind of game, you beat a round in the game and you've seen all it has to offer, does that mean I've finished it, even though it only took two minutes or not? Vaccine you can sort of win but it's just a randomly generated quest to find some antidote every time, can you really win something that is designed to be done over and over, and to be different each time? 

Games like these, and many others I have, should I count them as having been beaten, or should I just put a different color line through them and say they can't *really* be beaten, or what? Am I reading too much into this, most definitely, but in the interests of getting rid of the backlog, it's something I am going to have to think about eventually.

For Rocket League I would say set you a rank you want to achieve in competetive play. I don't know if you have played competetive already and what rank you are but maybe aim for Platinum. It's in the middle of all the ranks.

For FIFA 18 I would say finish a few seasons in career mode. Maybe choose a team in a low league and try to reach the first league of the land or win the Champions Cup as a goal.

I think I read there is no Journey mode on Switch? If there is play that mode it's the story mode of FIFA.

Can't say anything about the other game. Don't know them.

1 hour ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

First game with the dreaded Switch Tax that I've encountered in a while.

30 digital, I don't mind 10 more for physical but twice the price is too much. I'll be grabbing it digital unfortunately.

That stinks.  Not sure where you live.  Canadian maybe?

I'm looking at Gamestop here in the US and the physical PS4 copy is $29.99, Switch copy is $34.99 (so $5 more)... and the Nintendo Store digital says a base price of $24.99, currently marked down to $19.99 as pre-order incentive.  So $15 more for the physical Switch copy vs digital, but if you don't count the sale price (which is really more of a preorder bonus than a real price markdown) then it's only $10 more.

Which all seems fairly normal to me.  Though I don't understand why the Switch Tax happens in general.  Maybe manufacturing costs of the cartridges are higher.

Either way, didn't stop me from preordering from Gamestop. xD

Edited by Dreakon13

The only normal retail for a Switch-game which I saw so far and that was way overpriced was for Yoku's Island Express. The download costs 20 Euros, the retail for PS4 and X1 is priced at 30 Euros, and for the Switch-version all stores demand 40 Euros. It surely was an enjoyable game but I honestly can't think why anyone should pay 20 Euros more just to get the game as a physical release.

44 minutes ago, Crimson Idol said:

The only normal retail for a Switch-game which I saw so far and that was way overpriced was for Yoku's Island Express. The download costs 20 Euros, the retail for PS4 and X1 is priced at 30 Euros, and for the Switch-version all stores demand 40 Euros. It surely was an enjoyable game but I honestly can't think why anyone should pay 20 Euros more just to get the game as a physical release.

*raises hand*

Though, in fairness... while Gamestop is charging $40 for Yoku on Switch new, I got it on eBay for $27 new.  I couldn't beat the digital price (much tougher to do with the obscure indie releases), but I was happy to get it cheaper than any retail store on any platform. ??

Edited by Dreakon13

5 hours ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

First game with the dreaded Switch Tax that I've encountered in a while.

I'm not convinced yet about Dead Cells. I don't really like rogue likes but I do like Metroidvanias and I'm intrigued by Dead Cells' unique take on the genre. I'd like to get some impressions once you play it. I'll probably still get Yoku's Island Express first, but Dead Cells could be a future purchase.

3 hours ago, Dreakon13 said:

Though, in fairness... while Gamestop is charging $40 for Yoku on Switch new, I got it on eBay for $27 new.  I couldn't beat the digital price (much tougher to do with the obscure indie releases), but I was happy to get it cheaper than any retail store on any platform. 1f601.png1f44d.png

I am somewhat afraid to ask (sometimes people are better off not knowing :) ), but this is not the first time I've seen you mention getting eBay deals on new games. What is the story there? Are the sellers buying these games in different regions where the exchange rate is favorable? From what I understand of retail, the markup on new games is razor thin. So where is the profit for the seller in this?

Edited by MosesRockefeller

55 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

I'm not convinced yet about Dead Cells. I don't really like rogue likes but I do like Metroidvanias and I'm intrigued by Dead Cells' unique take on the genre. I'd like to get some impressions once you play it. I'll probably still get Yoku's Island Express first, but Dead Cells could be a future purchase.

I'm in the same boat as you about roguelikes, Sundered turned me off on the idea of procedurally generated levels.  What I've played of Dead Cells though was pretty awesome.  Less focused on narrative and atmosphere than a game like Hollow Knight, you can tell that systemically generated levels lack the same loving care as hand crafted ones, but it's very solid for what it is.  More of a game-game and less of an "experience".

I am somewhat afraid to ask (sometimes people are better off not knowing :) ), but this is not the first time I've seen you mention getting eBay deals on new games. What is the story there? Are the sellers buying these games in different regions where the exchange rate is favorable? From what I understand of retail, the markup on new games is razor thin. So where is the profit for the seller in this?

Typically won't find games cheaper before release.  If you do, it's probably something fishy.

After release, it could be any number of reasons... people who receive unwanted gifts.  People who pick up a game and realize they don't have the time/interest anymore and would rather sell and get some money back.  Not 100% sure if this is how it works, but maybe small time store owners who maybe purchase game orders in bulk and pass the savings on.  People hoping to get their money back but go the "auction" route and realize too late there isn't enough interest for a real bidding war so it sells at a loss (that's probably what happened with my copy of Yoku).

If we want to be overly suspicious, there are probably situations of "hot" items being sold.  No way to tell though, and typically in those cases I'd expect unrealistically low prices and "buy it now" to move them as fast as possible (ie. not waiting around for a 7 day auction to end to move only one copy).

I'd think the "region" thing is more of a tactic with selling digital games cheaper than physical games.  Though Steam started cracking down on that.

Edited by Dreakon13